Author Topic: Comic-Con Special Edition 2021  (Read 44610 times)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
Comic-Con Special Edition 2021
« on: July 27, 2021, 04:40:26 PM »
Not sure where to put this news re the unique, new/comic-soon CCI event coming Thanksgiving weekend 2021, Comic-Con Special Edition.  Here's a great interview with CCI's David Glanzer, CCI's Chief Communications & Strategy Officer: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

What can we expect from this new event from CCI?  No surprise we couldn't have already pieced together based off of what they'd said in the past (about it being "small" and likely mostly SoCA locals), but Glanzer had this to say:
“I think we're kind of expecting this show to be similar to our WonderCon show.”

If you've never been, WonderCon is awesome: it mostly feels like what going to Comic-Con in 2000 felt like, with a great price-point.  Who knows what panels and venders will look like, but even equating this to WonderCon (to be honest, I was expecting from the get-go for this to be approached as something even smaller than WonderCon, and maybe it'll end up that way after all) from a planning standpoint is exciting!

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
Re: Comic-Con Special Edition 2021
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2021, 09:18:02 AM »
Thanks so much for posting this article. I was just thinking this morning that @Home was over and we really should be hearing some more news about the Thanksgiving con. It's good to hear that they are still planning on it!

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 03:32:14 PM »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 10:07:12 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Not sure where to put this news re the unique, new/comic-soon CCI event coming Thanksgiving weekend 2021, Comic-Con Special Edition.  Here's a great interview with CCI's David Glanzer, CCI's Chief Communications & Strategy Officer: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

What can we expect from this new event from CCI?  No surprise we couldn't have already pieced together based off of what they'd said in the past (about it being "small" and likely mostly SoCA locals), but Glanzer had this to say:
If you've never been, WonderCon is awesome: it mostly feels like what going to Comic-Con in 2000 felt like, with a great price-point.  Who knows what panels and venders will look like, but even equating this to WonderCon (to be honest, I was expecting from the get-go for this to be approached as something even smaller than WonderCon, and maybe it'll end up that way after all) from a planning standpoint is exciting!

i'm so glad to hear David equate it to WonderCon. This is spot on marketing imho.
gives me chills in anticipation :)

yeah, where to put this is tricky but that's been the story of the year LOL

We do need a chat/general news thread for Special edition.  I may move this into it's own area in a bit- if chatter will support it
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 10:09:37 AM by alyssa »
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 10:17:28 AM »
We do need a chat/general news thread for Special edition.  I may move this into it's own area in a bit- if chatter will support it

I think as the date comes closer and there's more to chat about that the chatter will definitely support it.

Offline SDcomics

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 214
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2021, 07:15:37 AM »
Two points:

1) Maybe it's just me, but I still don't see what the big deal is about having the show on Thanksgiving Weekend.  I mean, so what?  The Mid-Ohio Con held several shows over Turkey day weekend back in the 80's and 90's and I don't think anyone cared.  I certainly don't remember anyone making an issue out of it.  As far as leaving Grandma and Grampa, all I can tell you is I AM a Grandfather and I'm telling my grandkids to stuff their own dang turkey.

2) I wonder if we're going to have to show proof of vaccination to get in?  That shouldn't be a problem for most of us.

We shall see what we shall see.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2021, 02:23:27 PM »
Two points:

1) Maybe it's just me, but I still don't see what the big deal is about having the show on Thanksgiving Weekend.  I mean, so what?  The Mid-Ohio Con held several shows over Turkey day weekend back in the 80's and 90's and I don't think anyone cared.  I certainly don't remember anyone making an issue out of it.  As far as leaving Grandma and Grampa, all I can tell you is I AM a Grandfather and I'm telling my grandkids to stuff their own dang turkey.

2) I wonder if we're going to have to show proof of vaccination to get in?  That shouldn't be a problem for most of us.

1) I 100% agree, though I live in San Diego & my wife & kids are Comic-Con vets so we'll literally make plans around this event.  I was happy to hear my parents (who moved to AZ recently) are planning on flying out to OH for Thanksgiving so I won't have to tell them "if you want to hang with the fam you better buy CCI tix  :P
2) I legit _hope_ they require proof of vaccination to get in.  San Diego has been slowish moving into the current phase of the pandemic.  They still don't have a county-wide mandate like LA or San Francisco, and I can't think of many/any places that require vaccinations to entry.  By then it's plausible the Phizer vaccination will have regular approval, not just emergency (by Sept), and most large events nationwide seem to be requiring either proof of vaccination or negative test form the last 24 hours.  It feels prudent for CCI to do the same IMO

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2021, 10:33:53 AM »
Two points:

1 is mostly an issue if you can't (or don't want to) get out of your family plans. It's the only time of year I can swing going to see my parents, so I won't be able to attend. Especially since I couldn't go see them last year. Am I bummed? A little, but I understand why they put it there, and am not mad about it or anything. I hope to see lots of reports on here on the experience!
Ang

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 829
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2021, 06:01:20 PM »
At this point I would not hold a mini con in November and I would only focus on 2022.  I feel we are far from out of the woods with this Delta variant and who’s to say we won’t get a variant worse than Delta?
WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2021, 11:18:47 AM »
At this point I would not hold a mini con in November and I would only focus on 2022.  I feel we are far from out of the woods with this Delta variant and who’s to say we won’t get a variant worse than Delta?

Yeah, I think that it likely to get cancelled.  I had a bad feeling when we reopened in June due to the lower vaccination rates, but had no idea that delta would blow up so bad.

I'm ok if it gets cancelled if it means people will stay safe.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2021, 12:28:22 PM »
Yeah, I think that it likely to get cancelled.  I had a bad feeling when we reopened in June due to the lower vaccination rates, but had no idea that delta would blow up so bad.

I'm ok if it gets cancelled if it means people will stay safe.

I'm in a "wait and see..." mode, as Thanksgiving weekend feels like a lifetime a way: it's an entire Trimester and change at the school I teach at!  Think of how much has (rapidly) changed in San Diego from May-August: that's about the same span we have now until the scheduled event.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2021, 12:49:54 PM »
At the same time, they need to announce badge sales. NYCC (October) and ECCC (December) have already had badge sales.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2021, 09:29:02 AM »
At the same time, they need to announce badge sales. NYCC (October) and ECCC (December) have already had badge sales.
Dcon in nov is just now starting to get their badges up-
i think we're in a time of unknowing, especially with the Delta variant
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2021, 10:39:14 AM »
CCI is nothing if not cautious. Plus they already have one round of outstanding badges (2020 transferred to... whenever). I'm sure they're trying to avoid having to administrate another pool of on-hold badges, and/or the expense of a badge sale that immediately turns into a badge refund. If they sell badges and then cancel it, they net $0... but they still have to pay the payment processing fees, etc. I think they're going to wait as long as they can.

Offline Mario Wario

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Crazy-Town Banana-Pants!
  • Liked: 684
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2021, 11:12:45 PM »
If no one saw one Erik Arreaga Fb post in the SDCC group, he shared one email sent to venders and exhibitors recently saying that CCI is still talking with the city, convention center, and hotels to finalize certain requirements for SDCCSE. As for the virus, they are talking with the city and tourism authority to address the current situation. Overall, information coming soon when it is time to share. That’s it.
Twitter: @ScottyTheWise

2014: SDCC, LBCC
2015: WC, SWCA, WW Sac., D23, LBCC, Comikaze
2016: SVCC, WC, SDCC
2017: ECCC, WC, SVCC, D23, SDCC
2018: WC, SVCC, E3, SDCC
2019: WC, SDCC, D23
2022: SWCA, SDCC, D23
2023: SDCC

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2021, 12:35:42 PM »
In person Vidcon 2021 in Anaheim scheduled for the end of October 2021 has been canceled due to covid.  The last Vidcon in 2019 had 75,000 attendees.

This does not bode well for Turkey-con.