Author Topic: 2023 Best Picture Oscar Nominees  (Read 2742 times)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
2023 Best Picture Oscar Nominees
« on: January 25, 2023, 12:41:25 PM »
I don't put _a ton_ of stock in industry awards.  I merely look at 'best of' lists, and big award nominees as a "what am I missing out on?!" gauge.  I haven't seen all of the 2023 Best Picture nominees, but thought I'd chime in on what I have seen.  Generally, this was an OUTSTANDING year at the movies, and I think it's been the first year in awhile where there are more films 'deserving' than there are slots.  The Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Science can nominate up to 10 films, and of course the process is a bit more complicated than you may think.  Here are the total Best Picture nominees:
All Quiet on the Western Front - a great production of a classic novel: maybe the first "anti-war" book.  It tells the tale of a young German who joins the war effort (WWI) with his buddies and quickly realizes the horrors and realities of war.  This film adds a side-story about the cease-fire negotiations to end the war as well.  It thematically deals with loneliness, futilities of war and violent conflict, the chaos of battle, including civilians caught up in the terrors.  It's not an easy film to watch, but it's well made/written/acted and I really appreciated the film.  streaming on Netflix
Avatar: The Way of Water - a well-crafted film that looks incredible on the big screen and is better written than the (boring IMO) first film.  This is the type of film one may forget about after leaving the theaters, and while better than the original I'm still not a fan.  I get why it's nominated, as it is the pinnacle of big-budget filmmaking with James Cameron once again (for literally about the half-dozenth time) re-invents visual effects to tell his story.  I appreciate the craft but this movie is not my cup of tea. in theaters
The Banshees of Inisherin - I really liked this film: a tragicomedy that takes place near the end of the Irish Civil War in the early 1920's.  The film is about Colin Farrell showing up for his daily pint (or several) to his local pub only to be told by his life-long good friend Brendan Gleeson that Gleeson no longer finds him interesting, doesn't want to be friends anymore, and requests Farrell even stop talking to him.  The bulk of the film is Farrell trying to both figure out what caused his buddy's change of heart, as well as if he can salvage their friendship.  This film is great top-to-bottom, from story to looks (filmed on a few islands in Ireland, with the island referenced in the film being fictional) and with great acting all-around.  Best Supporting Actor nominee Barry Keoghan (you may remember him as either The Joker in THE BATMAN or Druig in ETERNALS, but he's breaking out in a big way here, and will deserve any accolades and future roles he gets!) in particular shines as a kid who hangs around Farrell and gets in trouble constantly with his dad, the local cop.  This is funny some moments, and sad others: generally a real good movie!  streaming on HBO
Elvis - A well-made movie that didn't do much for me.  Again, I appreciate the craft more than the actual film itself.  I was never an Elvis fan and this film didn't repel or excite me to become one either way.  I get why its been popular, but I just wasn't really into this one.  I might revisit this one soon, and perhaps that'll change my opinion a bit (once I'm over the "OMG Tom Hanks what is this?!"  :P) streaming on HBO
Everything Everywhere All at Once - This is my favorite movie of the year: maybe not literally a perfect piece of art but about as close as it gets.  Using the multiversal 'war' between Jobu looking to take down the entire multiverse over general unhappiness (REALLY oversimplifying that), the film is a beautiful metaphor for ADHD and a sweet fable on importance of family.  It has a nice ending, great cast/performances all around (REALLY happy that Stephanie Hsu also got a Supporting Actress nom, and to be honest I would maybe KILL to see her cast a Joker in some sort of DC elseworld story).  This film may be in a 'Top 5 favorite films of all time' list in a decade or two: I adore everything about it and I'm rooting for it to win everything. streaming via Showtime
The Fabelmans - another film I adored this year: Steven Spielberg's most personal film is also one of his more complicated.  What most thought would be an autobiographical love-letter to film is really Spielberg dealing with his parents diametrically opposite personalities (mom was a professional pianist/performer who quit the biz to be a stay at home mom; dad was a computer nerd before computers were all the rage) as the family grows apart.  Spielberg has said a lot of what's on screen is how things of his life went down, and he consulted with his sisters to ensure that his version of events was also how they remembered.  The film IS a love letter to film and filmmaking, and the dichotomy of film sentimentality mixed with Spielberg's home life makes for a fascinating film.  Also David Lynch has one of the greatest cameos/one-scene roles of the last several years and an ending that will make film nerds slightly misty-eyed (maybe) but also lol (definitely).  I really adored this film, and would be very happy to see Spielberg, John Williams, and the film win big. note: composer John Williams was nominated for the 53rd time for his wonderfully understated piano-centric score for this film, but he hasn't won an Oscar since Schindler's List (!).  playing in theaters
Tár - I have oddly not seen Tár, a film about a woman composer/conductor.  It was in theaters during marching band season when I have extremely limited free time, and I haven't bit the bullet and rented it digitally.  This is in my professional wheelhouse a bit, and I really respect Cate Blanchette as an actress so I'm looking forward to catching up on this one.  can be rented digitally; coming to Peacock 1/27
Top Gun: Maverick - this is the populist choice, I presume: one embraced by the masses as a good ol' fashioned blockbuster popcorn movie that doesn't involve comic characters or other planets. I'm a bit surprised it wasn't nominated for cinematography, as this film not only looks great but utilized tech that put cameras on fighter planes.  I liked-not-loved this film, as a fun way to spend a few hours in a theater.  I'm not super nostalgic about the original, which I like but don't revere.  The acting in this feels fairly flat to me, the script feels like 2/3rds rehash of the original and 1/3rd rehash of the end of STAR WARS: A NEW HOPE (the premise of the big mission here is indeed 100% inspired by the Star Wars trench run of the original Lucas film).  I'm not surprised it got a Best Picture nomination, and while I lol'ed at the Best Adapted Screenplay nomination I do find its Best Editing and Best Visual Effects 100% justified.  This is good technical blockbuster filmmaking meant for the widest possible audience.  While I'm not a bit fan of Miles Teller as an actor here, the Val Kilmer scene was an emotional high-point for many reasons.  This isn't a movie I would make a point to see again (it was, though, awesome to experience in theaters), but if I'm flipping channels and this is on I'd likely stick around to watch it: just as my family often does with TOP GUN. on Paramount+ or Epix
Triangle of Sadness - I haven't seen the 2022 Palme d'Or Cannes winner, and honestly don't remember seeing a trailer for it.  The final film of South African actress Carlbi Dean (who died last summer of an infection) is about a wealthy cruise that goes wrong due to heavy storms & pirates.  I think it's a dark-comedy satire about the (obscenely) wealthy influencers.  I know the least about this film, though I do know it being released by Criterion on blu-ray in April.
Women Talking - co-written and directed by Sarah Polley (actress who starred in ADVENTURES OF BARON MUNCHAUSEN, and really entaining GO, a mid-90's Pulp Fiction-influenced drama/action/comedy) this is another one I haven't seen.  The film is based on a novel that's a reaction to a real-life event in Manitoba Colony, Bolivia, a Mennonite colony, where over 100 women were drugged and raped by men from the colony.  This is a type of movie I'll definitely see at some point, but I have to be in the right mindset to tackle it: it has a wonderful cast, including Rooney Mara, Claire Foy, and Frances McDormand.  It was released in theaters the Friday before Christmas, and will likely either be re-released now that's it's nominated (it's not playing at any theaters near me currently), and/or will be available to rent VOD sooner than later

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
Re: 2023 Best Picture Oscar Nominees
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2023, 02:38:34 PM »
When I saw the list of nominees I was surprised how many I've already seen.  Usually this next month is a whirlwind of movie going, as I try to see as many of the "big" nominees as possible before awards night.  I still need to see All Quiet (and I refuse to see Avatar), plus I'd like to see The Whale, Navalny, and the Shorts.

IMO you should see Triangle and Women Talking, both are worth a watch.

I enjoyed Banshees more than I expected, the cast is fabulous and it's just so DIFFERENT.  But EEAAO is my favorite movie of the year, just incredible with a fantastic cast giving it their all.

Thanks for your post, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login .

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 02:15:09 PM »

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2023, 02:53:33 PM »
I have seen them all except Women Talking, it was already the plan for this weekend.

Personally, I think The Banshees of Inisherin was the best movie of the year.  I said it after I saw it and nothing has been able to change my mind. 

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login The Whale is a lot and sticks with you for a bit.  My Aunt was spinning after, and mad I took her.  Yet, still wrote me about it hours after about what she thought (which I take as a sign she likes it more than she thinks).  I have agreed to go see the 80 Brady movie with her when it comes out, I am hoping that gets me out of the dog house.   Though, I am pretty sure she has google and can watch the trailers before she shows up, so I should never be in the dog house.
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2023, 09:11:42 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
When I saw the list of nominees I was surprised how many I've already seen.  Usually this next month is a whirlwind of movie going, as I try to see as many of the "big" nominees as possible before awards night.  I still need to see All Quiet (and I refuse to see Avatar), plus I'd like to see The Whale, Navalny, and the Shorts.

IMO you should see Triangle and Women Talking, both are worth a watch.

I enjoyed Banshees more than I expected, the cast is fabulous and it's just so DIFFERENT.  But EEAAO is my favorite movie of the year, just incredible with a fantastic cast giving it their all.

Thanks for your post, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login .
I did, too which surprised me because I _LOVED_ both actors + writer/director's last film, IN BRUGES (know racking my brain trying to remember, "wait - is Brendan Gleeson in SEVEN PSYCHOPATHS? I don't think so, but maybe... :P ).
I agree one of the joys of BANSHEES is not really knowing where it was going, where it would end up, etc.  I somehow _knew_ that
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
, but other than that it was a relatively rare film where I could sit back & enjoy/absorb what's coming up for the characters w/out having a clue.  The real wild card for me was the character played by Sheila Flitton, Mrs. McCormick: if BANSHEES were written by Shakespeare should would absolutely have been some soothsayer-esque witch or something!  ;D

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2023, 09:14:27 AM »
I have seen them all except Women Talking, it was already the plan for this weekend.

Personally, I think The Banshees of Inisherin was the best movie of the year.  I said it after I saw it and nothing has been able to change my mind. 

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login The Whale is a lot and sticks with you for a bit.  My Aunt was spinning after, and mad I took her.  Yet, still wrote me about it hours after about what she thought (which I take as a sign she likes it more than she thinks). I have agreed to go see the 80 Brady movie with her when it comes out, I am hoping that gets me out of the dog house.   Though, I am pretty sure she has google and can watch the trailers before she shows up, so I should never be in the dog house.
Part of me wants to see 80 FOR BRADY, because that cast of ladies = all legends/queens.  They have such great chemistry together, and I have no doubt they will at least be fun. 
Now if someone could make a "there's zero Tom Brady in the film" cut, I'd be 100% all-in!  :P

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2023, 07:07:21 PM »
Part of me wants to see 80 FOR BRADY, because that cast of ladies = all legends/queens.  They have such great chemistry together, and I have no doubt they will at least be fun. 
Now if someone could make a "there's zero Tom Brady in the film" cut, I'd be 100% all-in!  :P

We already have our tickets! 

Though I will say I am out of the dog house, my Aunt had time to process it and thinks it's an important film, though she still adds depressing at the end of her description. 

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2023, 10:02:17 AM »
We already have our tickets! 

Though I will say I am out of the dog house, my Aunt had time to process it and thinks it's an important film, though she still adds depressing at the end of her description.
Ha; glad you're out of trouble!  I used to constantly get in trouble w/my wife when we were dating/first married due to our radically different tastes/opinions of movies (it all started in 1996, on a date, when I legit though SCREAM was a flat-out comedy and not an actual slasher movie  :-X ).  I def. can see where one would feel...conflicted...about WHALE, and understand a descriptor of "depressing"  :P

Offline stove19

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 49
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2023, 12:30:55 PM »

I'm enjoying watching their press tour for this! I wasn't that interested at first, but the promotion for it is swaying me.

Our household is working through the Oscars Death Race right now. Does anyone else participate? We use oscarsdeathrace.com to track our progress, and we're only at 25% right now. We have a lot to watch between now and March 12!

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2023, 01:24:18 PM »
Part of me wants to see 80 FOR BRADY, because that cast of ladies = all legends/queens.
I was thinking about seeing this cause it was the Eagles beating them in the Super Bowl :D
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2023, 04:46:19 PM »

Our household is working through the Oscars Death Race right now. Does anyone else participate? We use oscarsdeathrace.com to track our progress, and we're only at 25% right now. We have a lot to watch between now and March 12!

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that website.  I'm hoping Oscar Shorts will be in theatres again this year.  My 24% should improve a lot once that happens, lol.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2023, 04:04:24 PM »

Thank you!  This site is what I needed! 

I am 44%

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login Scream is a comedy!

Offline debster

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 569
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2023, 11:56:56 AM »
I watched Tar this weekend on Peacock Premium. As a former concert band player, I thought all the music parts were well done. Cate Blanchett was amazing as usual. There has been some debate about the plot, so I’m still unpacking it in my head (I saw it yesterday).

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2023, 12:39:22 PM »
My Aunt didn't show up for 80 for Brady  :P

It is cute, if you need a break from life it's a good pick. 

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login I thought Cate Blanchett was amazing in it also, but not my pick for best picture, however, she deserves her nomination.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2023, 09:49:44 AM »
I caught up with Tár: what a wonderful film that has so much to say while also not making a grand statement!  Tár deals mostly with the power dynamics of a strong, reputable female conductor, Lydia Tár (Cate Blanchett, queen goddess amongst us mere mortals in just about every role she portrays) prepping to record the audacious Mahler Symphony 5 to complete her recording 'cycle.'  Throughout the film we're given situations where Lydia is accused of exerting her power in transactional relationships: her asst. who is vying for a asst. conductor job; a former student who claimed to be in an abusive relationship before killing herself; a cello auditionee that Tár may have a crush on.  One of the beauties of this film, written/directed by Todd Field, is the film delves in #MeToo situations, as well as gender identification stuff (VERY obliquely).  In an early scene where Lydia is giving a lecture at Julliard and confronts a student who identifies as a "BIPOC pangender" who has zero interest in the Western curriculum of Bach while Lydia pushes him to ignore those identifiers/sensibilities to deep-dive into the music/art instead of the man who composed - a fascinating allegory given the 2nd and 3rd act revelations.
What I loved about this movie, besides Blanchett's wonderful acting, is that Field present multiple points of view, but doesn't definitively make a statement on which side he (and by extension the film itself) falls on.  A major theme of Tár is interpretation.  The film opens with Lydia giving an interview talking about very different interpretations of Mahler's 5th Symphony: how Leonard Bernstein and many others look at the symphony from a tragic POV, due to Mahler's life in totality, while Lydia choses to look at it as a triumph because Mahler was a newly married man and smitten with his wife (historically, all music scholars know about the symphony is that Mahler dedicated the symphony to his new wife; I won't get into music history mode, but I'll just say the marriage ended unhappily for Mahler).  The film constantly tells its audience that art is all about personal interpretation, and likewise this film is also all about personal interpretation.  Do I give Lydia more a benefit of the doubt regarding her accusations because she's a woman; would I be more condemning if her character were male (there's a convo early on between Lydia and a retired colleague where they discuss the #MeToo movement, and how mere accusations are enough to destroy a career regardless of guilt or innocence)?  Does one interpret the climax of the film in a literal way, or a more dreamlike non-real way? 

THAT is up to the viewer to decide, and that is a rare piece of art: a factor that leaves many viewers contemplating the film long after the lights go up and I've gone back to work.  I wouldn't say Tár is my absolute favorite film of 2023, but likely in my Top 5.  I can see Blanchett winning Best Actress for this role that shows power as well as vulnerability, and I now want to see her give an hours-long academic music lecture (side-note from a music educator: I legit wonder when she's talking about music, or conducting her orchestra if she had an understanding of what she was saying, or if she was just speaking the jargon w/out context of understanding).

Offline Old Man Grey

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 258
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2023, 09:13:06 AM »
I've only seen half the nominated films (I wish they would go back to 5 nominees) but "Tar" is my pick. "Banshees" a close second. I see so many forgettable movies (looking at you Avatar) that films like "Tar" and "Banshees" are a shock. Action films are fun but films that make you think stay with you much longer.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 02:10:38 PM by Old Man Grey »