Author Topic: 2023 Best Picture Oscar Nominees  (Read 2740 times)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
Re: 2023 Best Picture Oscar Nominees
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2023, 10:36:38 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I've only seen half the nominated films (I wish they would go back to 5 nominees) but "Tar" is my pick. "Banshees" a close second. I see so many movies forgettable movies (looking at you Avatar) that films like "Tar" and "Banshees" are a shock. Action films are fun but films that make you think stay with you much longer.
100% agree with this!  Having recently revisited THE MENU, I'll express a food metaphor that as a filmgoer I like a robust and varied diet of films: some empty calories (like maybe MAVERICK, or comic book films); some broad comedies but also some more subtle comedies (WEIRD: THE AL YANKOVICH STORY or THE MENU); some thought-provoking dramas (TAR); etc.  Feels like this crop of Best Picture nominees is pretty varied.  Even the stuff I didn't really care much for, I can understand why they'd get appreciation from the Academy.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2023, 12:44:41 PM »
I've only seen half the nominated films (I wish they would go back to 5 nominees) but "Tar" is my pick. "Banshees" a close second. I see so many movies forgettable movies (looking at you Avatar) that films like "Tar" and "Banshees" are a shock. Action films are fun but films that make you think stay with you much longer.

I know what you mean, I actually forgot I saw a triangle of sadness until I started watching it again.  Which is impressive with how long it is.
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 01:00:54 PM »

Offline stove19

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 49
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2023, 06:45:00 PM »
Love the food metaphor, and completely agree!

Still slowly working through the nominees. I have some best picture nominees still to watch, but our local theater was showing all of the animated and live action short film nominees this weekend. We were having trouble finding some of them, so we took advantage of the opportunity!

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2023, 08:14:48 AM »
Everything took Everything!

I don't personally agree with this but I know a lot do.  I thought the movie was good but not as great as most did.  I will say seeing it before Doctor Strange kinda ruined Doctor Strange since it did the multiverse better.

I was hoping the Banshees of inisherin would get best screenplay.  It's still my favorite of the ten.

I was super stoked for Brendan Fraser's and Michelle Yeoh wins.  Though I do hope Michelle Williams pulls a win at some point.

I really need to watch RRR, it's been on the list.  That performance was fantastic. 

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2023, 09:13:17 AM »
Well how about that!  Movie studio A24 is the first studio ever to win all four acting prizes, and EEAAO is the first film ever to win three acting prizes + Best Picture + Best Director.  I thought the broadcast was pretty vanilla/safe for the most part, with Jimmy Kimble getting a few harder-hitting jokes in occasionally.  There were some odd choices broadcast-wise, as far as a segment to promote Disney's latest remake (and the WB 100 somehow ignored Loony Tunes and seemingly think they're entire 100 year legacy is centered on DC characters?!) but overall an enjoyable Oscar broadcast, I think.  I don't get too into who wins what/so-and-so was robbed! as filmmaking is an art and art is not a competitive sporting event.  I'm happy when stuff I really like gets recognized, and it's awesome to me that such a weird genre movie can get positive attention (not to mention this is only The Daniels' second film they've directed!).  There are always 'questions' to be had about who won, but at the end of the night it doesn't matter: industry awards are inherently dopey, pat-ourselves-on-the-back affairs and quibbling over wins/losses just creates clickbait (that being said, my favorite score nominated was the BABYLON score, composed by the guy who wrote music for LA LA LAND so it has similar jazzy bounce and fun to it; I would've voted for Williams partially out of sentimentality, though I also think he composed such a wonderfully understated score for a film that was likely almost as personal to him as it was for Spielberg).

Now we officially have a break from 'Oscar Season' and now entertainment beat writers can focus on 'Emmy Season'  :P

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2023, 09:52:19 AM »
The Disney promotion was weird! I assume it had something to do with all the backlash it received with casting?  I really don't want it to become a thing, the show is already too long.

Also, the cut-off of Morgan Freedman and Margot Robbie left me confused.

I was watching on discord with friends, it was the Canadian broadcast and it was a good 30-60 seconds ahead of the US.  My one friend was having fun messaging his other friends with who he thought would win before each one.  Magically he was always right.

We didn't do the US stream because if something good happened we didn't want it cut out.

Offline stove19

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2023, 10:49:13 AM »
I'm so happy for everyone involved with EEAAO. Even before the Oscars, it broke the record for the most-awarded film of all time, which is amazing. A24 is continuing to put out great films, and I can't wait to see what's next from them!

Offline Old Man Grey

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 258
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2023, 02:37:09 PM »
I got a little misty eyed when Jamie Lee Curtis thanked all the fans of her genre films. Also, when Indy and Short Round were reunited. I thought Kimmel's opening monologue was really good. Unfortunately, he went downhill from there. The in-memoriam segment was very incomplete. Overall, I thought it was the best Oscars in a long time.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2023, 07:15:56 PM »
I got a little misty eyed when Jamie Lee Curtis thanked all the fans of her genre films. Also, when Indy and Short Round were reunited. I thought Kimmel's opening monologue was really good. Unfortunately, he went downhill from there. The in-memoriam segment was very incomplete. Overall, I thought it was the best Oscars in a long time.
This was definitely the feel-good Oscar ceremony: likely much-needed after the nuttiness last year, and the downer that was Oscars-in-a-pandemic the year prior.  It was fun (and first time in quite awhile) that all four acting winners were first-time nominees, with half of those being 60+ years old!  Best Original Screenplay/Director winners as well as the Best Editing winner won those Oscars for only their 2nd feature film (with the first starring Paul Dano and co-starring Harry Potter's corpse that is incredibly gassy throughout - seriously - weird in a different way from EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE  :P ).  As a kid of the 70's/80's, who saw INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM opening weekend in theaters and idolized how freaking cool Short Round was to role with Indy on adventures, I'm still in awe of Ke Huy Quan and it's been hard not to cheer misty-eyed with every acceptance speech he made this awards season!

Personally, I was hoping Jamie Lee Curtis would give a shout-out to John Carpenter (similar to when Jeremy Irons gave a shout-out to David Cronenberg when winning for REVERSAL OF FORTUNE), but she showed her appreciation and I loved her speech!

Offline Jesse O

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 181
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2023, 06:29:22 PM »
I wound up seeing all 54 nominated movies this year (thanks to MoviePass - can you believe it's back?). My predictions weren't all on the nose, but I was really happy with the show and almost all of the winners. (I absolutely hated one of 54 movies I watched, and it did get a win. Don't want to s**tpost if someone here liked it, but I was all like "grrrrr" when it won.)

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2023, 10:59:57 AM »
I wound up seeing all 54 nominated movies this year (thanks to MoviePass - can you believe it's back?). My predictions weren't all on the nose, but I was really happy with the show and almost all of the winners. (I absolutely hated one of 54 movies I watched, and it did get a win. Don't want to s**tpost if someone here liked it, but I was all like "grrrrr" when it won.)

Now I am dying to know which one.  I understand not wanting to get in a debate though, but feel free to send me a PM  :P

Actually, my favorite conversations are when I disagree with someone on a film.  I get to learn new points of view, though I go to the movies every Sunday with the family, and my mom and I don't see eye to eye on a lot of films.  If I got angry every time we didn't agree I would constantly be in hulk form.

Offline Jesse O

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2023, 11:27:08 AM »
Now I am dying to know which one.  I understand not wanting to get in a debate though, but feel free to send me a PM  :P

Actually, my favorite conversations are when I disagree with someone on a film.  I get to learn new points of view, though I go to the movies every Sunday with the family, and my mom and I don't see eye to eye on a lot of films.  If I got angry every time we didn't agree I would constantly be in hulk form.

PM sent.

Offline stove19

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2023, 03:58:06 PM »

I agree! We're all different, and those differing interests spark great film conversations. Plus, we all have spicy takes, so I enjoy hearing where someone deviates from the "popular opinion" (good or bad) and why.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2023, 09:27:03 AM »
Ha; while I too am curious which one you out-right hated (I have a guess, presuming it's not a short), you have to admit it's pretty great that out of 54 nominated films you only really disliked 1!  :P

Offline Jesse O

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2023, 09:34:10 AM »
Ha; while I too am curious which one you out-right hated (I have a guess, presuming it's not a short), you have to admit it's pretty great that out of 54 nominated films you only really disliked 1!  :P

It was actually a short! And you’re totally right. There were a few movies that I don’t need to see again, but all things considered, it was a fine list of movies. There were a few I wouldn’t have seen otherwise that I downright loved.