Author Topic: SDCC 2020 Returning Registration  (Read 31952 times)

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
Re: SDCC 2020 Returning Registration
« Reply #180 on: October 14, 2019, 09:04:42 AM »
Got barcode an hour ago, so still rolling out.

One friend bought our 3 badges, out of 3 codes, only his got in!

Offline Dune930

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 42
« Reply #181 on: October 14, 2019, 09:14:46 AM »
Just received my barcode email!!

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #182 on: Today at 09:45:31 AM »

Offline sylent_asassin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 200
« Reply #182 on: October 14, 2019, 09:43:01 AM »
My wife and I received our barcodes this morning. We both got 4 days thanks to our group. There were about 14 of us in the group, five got through and we mostly got what we wanted, although only 3 of us got preview night and one friend only got Thu, Fri and Sun. We'll all try again during general registration to attempt to fill in the gaps, but so far, we're feeling pretty thankful.

The last two years, I was able to help a friend who helped my wife and me the previous two years before that. It always feels good to help someone else out. It's such an empty, futile feeling just staring at that blue circle and reading those status update messages regarding inventory running low.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #183 on: October 14, 2019, 10:29:11 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It's such an empty, futile feeling just staring at that blue circle and reading those status update messages regarding inventory running low.

All the while thinking, 'Those people are buying *my* badges!'

Been there. *hugs*

Offline dolphina

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Live Long and Prosper
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #184 on: October 14, 2019, 10:30:57 AM »
My daughter and I got our barcodes but waiting on my nieces, I’m sure it will be here soon, it was bought with mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting”

Wondercon, SDCC, Comikazi, Blizzcon, SWCA, D23

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #185 on: October 14, 2019, 10:59:40 AM »
All the while thinking, 'Those people are buying *my* badges!'

This is me being selfish, but when people are wishing everyone good luck in registration, don’t they realize others having good luck lowers your own luck??

Then again, maybe karma’s a thing, in which case you can’t ever say “good luck” enough.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #186 on: October 14, 2019, 11:13:41 AM »
This is me being selfish, but when people are wishing everyone good luck in registration, don’t they realize others having good luck lowers your own luck??

I never thought of that... but you're right!

Hmmm... I wish everyone 'good luck' AFTER I have already purchased my badges? ;)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #187 on: October 14, 2019, 11:30:21 AM »
I should also add that last night I dreamed I was buying badges for everybody while I was on the clock at work, running afoul of my bosses.  I was adding days to attendees badges at my personal expense without asking anybody to compensate me.  More like a nightmare, lol.
Ha; FWIW as a HS band teacher Returning Reg. has been during marching band rehearsals the last several years its been in early fall Saturdays.  Last Sat. was no exception, and I totally was manning as many computer screens as I could for the greater good (while also running a rehearsal - yeah multi-tasking)!

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 829
« Reply #188 on: October 14, 2019, 01:12:42 PM »
Ha; FWIW as a HS band teacher Returning Reg. has been during marching band rehearsals the last several years its been in early fall Saturdays.  Last Sat. was no exception, and I totally was manning as many computer screens as I could for the greater good (while also running a rehearsal - yeah multi-tasking)!

Oh lord, I am no multitasker!  I forgot to add in my dream I was also printing out the badge orders on the company printer on my employer’s dime!
WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Offline ALF

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 320
« Reply #189 on: October 14, 2019, 03:10:30 PM »
Here is an interesting question I always wondering. Comic con blog did a rough estimation on the odds of getting badges.. Does all the people that works in buying group decrease the odds for everyone else that is not working in a group... I think the numbers were 50 percent for returning registration and about .06% for open registration. If I have to guess the answer would be yes. The analyst in me always wonder about stuff like this. :-\

Offline dcole

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 32
« Reply #190 on: October 14, 2019, 03:43:37 PM »
Here is an interesting question I always wondering. Comic con blog did a rough estimation on the odds of getting badges.. Does all the people that works in buying group decrease the odds for everyone else that is not working in a group... I think the numbers were 50 percent for returning registration and about .06% for open registration. If I have to guess the answer would be yes. The analyst in me always wonder about stuff like this. :-\
I would think it would depend upon whether everyone in the buying group is buying for themselves or not. At the end of the day they (expo logic) moves X amount of Member IDs at a time to the Buy page, only stopping when all tickets are sold out. I think where the buying groups ( and some individuals) tilt it is when you have Member IDs logged in buying for 3 others within their group. I think this happens quite a bit during Open Reg.

Offline ALF

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #191 on: October 14, 2019, 03:52:12 PM »
Yea.. I think even this individual after buying for themselves.. they will always buy max number of available tickets for their group. Yea the short answer is definitely buying group lowers your chances of getting tickets. 

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #192 on: October 14, 2019, 04:00:22 PM »
Not only does the buying group make sure no buying spots go to waste, it also evens out the odds. If you are on your own, there is a small chance you might get in, and a bigger chance that you won't. So there are 2 extremes. In a buying group, the averages tend to pan out, so you're much more likely to be around the 'middle' probabilities. Chances are good that if you don't get in, someone else will, and vice versa.

Offline ALF

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #193 on: October 14, 2019, 04:06:02 PM »
So You are saying buying group does lower that 50 percent probability cause it increases the odds of people in the buying group of getting tickets?

Offline dcole

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 32
« Reply #194 on: October 14, 2019, 04:07:00 PM »
Not only does the buying group make sure no buying spots go to waste, it also evens out the odds. If you are on your own, there is a small chance you might get in, and a bigger chance that you won't. So there are 2 extremes. In a buying group, the averages tend to pan out, so you're much more likely to be around the 'middle' probabilities. Chances are good that if you don't get in, someone else will, and vice versa.
I was honestly interested in getting into a buying group this time around but they were all capped, so...

One thing that no one has ever been able to explain to me satisfactorily is how buying for others within a buying group is organized and prioritized. I’ve heard some very simplistic - sounding answers given but in my mind, it can’t possibly work unless someone is monitoring all of the buying activity real time.