Author Topic: Non-SuperHero Current Movies **spoilers**  (Read 64008 times)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
Re: Non-SuperHero Current Movies **spoilers**
« Reply #120 on: October 24, 2019, 09:27:21 AM »
anyone else planning on catching The Current Wars with cumberbach(sp?) this weekend?

Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #121 on: October 24, 2019, 09:50:51 AM »
Is THE JOKER considered a non-superhero movie?  I guess Bruce Wayne/pro-Batman is in the film so maybe not.  But I think if one chooses to ignore comics The Joker doesn't play like a superhero movie.  A colleague of mine who REALLY dislikes comics and ignores everything they can about the books/movies/tv shows/etc. honestly didn't put two-and-two together that JOKER is the origin story of a Batman villain.
I suspect this is in no way the norm for "civilians" not totally into comics, but brings up a minimally interesting debate, maybe.  Or maybe my colleague is just a complete moron: that's also a possibility.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #122 on: Today at 07:20:15 AM »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #122 on: October 24, 2019, 10:39:09 AM »
it's set in the dc universe. so... yep, moron

on a side note/question, speaking of non-superhero loving folks, what's a good superhero movie for non/anti superhero types? I'm thinking the first Guardians of the Galaxy
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #123 on: October 24, 2019, 12:05:30 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

on a side note/question, speaking of non-superhero loving folks, what's a good superhero movie for non/anti superhero types? I'm thinking the first Guardians of the Galaxy
Gunn's SUPER is a pretty great (actual) deconstruction of superheros/superhero films.  A little violent and dark at times, but pretty entertaining IMO.

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #124 on: October 24, 2019, 12:22:55 PM »

Into the Spider-verse, some people have been really reluctant to take my recommendation but they have always come back and told me I was right. And I was :)

Gunn's SUPER is a pretty great (actual) deconstruction of superheros/superhero films.  A little violent and dark at times, but pretty entertaining IMO.

Agreed, sticking with Gunn I would recommend The Specials as well.

Darkman from Raimi, maybe Spider-man 2?

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #125 on: October 24, 2019, 04:50:36 PM »
Into the Spider-verse, some people have been really reluctant to take my recommendation but they have always come back and told me I was right. And I was :)

Agreed, sticking with Gunn I would recommend The Specials as well.

Darkman from Raimi, maybe Spider-man 2?

Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Yeah I can see a non-comic fan being able to have fun with SPIDER-VERSE.  That movie is reverent enough to keep us comic fans happy, but tongue-in-cheek/goofy enough so that non-comic fans could also dig it (and maybe assume parts of it are making fun of comics: like many Lord/Miller films SPIDER-VERSE REALLY rides that fine line well).
SPECIALS is another fun one.  If that film was made nowadays with a better budget (and maybe better cast?) I think it would play like gangbusters.  James Gunn is luckily he's a great writer & director, because he clearly is not meant to be an actor  :P

Offline FBS

• Fulfillment Room
    • http://www.marksearby.com/
  • Liked: 510
« Reply #126 on: October 24, 2019, 11:25:06 PM »
anyone else planning on catching The Current Wars with cumberbach(sp?) this weekend?

This came out in the UK a couple of months ago. Turns out we got a Weinstein edit. But they held back the US release to in order to put out the directors cut.

I really liked it. Fascinating story.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #127 on: October 27, 2019, 07:13:18 PM »
I saw the Current War today, the story is fascinating but the movie was a bit jarring.  Maybe that's why it took so long to release in the US?
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #128 on: October 31, 2019, 07:30:18 AM »
I watched DOLEMITE IS MY NAME yesterday on Netflix and it's pretty great!  I know a little bit about the subject matter (I'm a fan of the original DOLEMITE), but Eddie Murphy KILLS in this film!  Watching this is like seeing the Eddie Murphy we all knew and loved form the 80's back!  The movie feels mostly like a dramady, about a singer/comedian/record store clerk (Asst. Manager, actually) who decides to take his comedy routine/"character" to the big screen: talent or experience be damned.  There's a plethora of inappropriate language, and a little bit of nudity (just like the original DOLEMITE), but it's a real fun movie IMO.  The film played a few festivals and was in theaters before it hit Netflix last weekend.

Oh, another movie that opens in some theaters Nov. 1 is THE IRISHMAN.  I'm almost done reading the book the film is based on ("I Hear You Paint Houses"), about the work of Irish mob associated Teamster official who was good friends with Jimmy Hoffa (and admitted to being an integral part of Hoffa's murder).  Can't wait to see the film!

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #129 on: October 31, 2019, 08:35:04 AM »
I saw The Lighthouse.  I like weird movies and this one was definitely weird.  I had to google to figure out what I just watched. 

And yesterday I saw The Current War.  This one I understood!  I thought it was interesting and well done.  Now I need to re-read Devil in the White City to refresh my memory of the Chicago World Fair in 1893.

I'd recommend both movies.

Offline FBS

• Fulfillment Room
« Reply #130 on: October 31, 2019, 12:03:13 PM »
I watched DOLEMITE IS MY NAME yesterday on Netflix and it's pretty great!  I know a little bit about the subject matter (I'm a fan of the original DOLEMITE), but Eddie Murphy KILLS in this film!  Watching this is like seeing the Eddie Murphy we all knew and loved form the 80's back!  The movie feels mostly like a dramady, about a singer/comedian/record store clerk (Asst. Manager, actually) who decides to take his comedy routine/"character" to the big screen: talent or experience be damned.  There's a plethora of inappropriate language, and a little bit of nudity (just like the original DOLEMITE), but it's a real fun movie IMO.  The film played a few festivals and was in theaters before it hit Netflix last weekend.

Oh, another movie that opens in some theaters Nov. 1 is THE IRISHMAN.  I'm almost done reading the book the film is based on ("I Hear You Paint Houses"), about the work of Irish mob associated Teamster official who was good friends with Jimmy Hoffa (and admitted to being an integral part of Hoffa's murder).  Can't wait to see the film!
Some people might say The Irishman is the best film of the year and one of the best of the decade. Some people...

Offline FBS

• Fulfillment Room
« Reply #131 on: October 31, 2019, 12:04:24 PM »
I saw The Lighthouse.  I like weird movies and this one was definitely weird.  I had to google to figure out what I just watched. 

And yesterday I saw The Current War.  This one I understood!  I thought it was interesting and well done.  Now I need to re-read Devil in the White City to refresh my memory of the Chicago World Fair in 1893.

I'd recommend both movies.
The Lighthouse is strange. I've now seen two films this year with Robert Pattinson masturbating in them. Not sure if that's good or bad

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #132 on: October 31, 2019, 12:21:15 PM »
The Lighthouse is strange. I've now seen two films this year with Robert Pattinson masturbating in them. Not sure if that's good or bad

It doesn't make me want to see the film if that helps you decide!
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline FBS

• Fulfillment Room
« Reply #133 on: October 31, 2019, 12:47:39 PM »
It doesn't make me want to see the film if that helps you decide!
Each to their own

It's not really my thing either

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #134 on: October 31, 2019, 01:21:38 PM »
Is that what he's going o do when he's Batman?