Author Topic: Introductions/Welcome Thread  (Read 196769 times)

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
Re: Introductions/Welcome Thread
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2012, 01:14:08 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
How old are they?

11 and 9. Still young enough not to need Junior badges. ;)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2012, 01:21:24 PM »
yeah, my son's in his last year of 'free'. 
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #47 on: Today at 04:48:29 AM »

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2012, 01:45:06 PM »

I know. I'm eagerly waiting to hear about your experience transferring him to a junior badge, so I can apply that knowledge next year. ;)

Offline MegaDoug

• Gaming Lounge
  • Comic Con, where all are accepted as they are
    • my music, my love
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2012, 02:41:38 PM »
Luckily my daughter was short, so she was 12 for a couple years  :o
"while in my gut the creature writhes and snarls and tells me what I need"

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2012, 04:23:17 PM »
I know. I'm eagerly waiting to hear about your experience transferring him to a junior badge, so I can apply that knowledge next year. ;)
My hope is that he'll be able to buy his own badge... maybe with proof of age so only 12 year old's can buy a badge

Luckily my daughter was short, so she was 12 for a couple years  :o
my son will be taller then me by next year plus we don't do well with bending the rules, i tend to hear about it for months... and months.. and months afterwards.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2012, 05:16:13 PM »
I'm not even so worried about 'bending the rules'.... but more about the consequences if you are 'caught'. What happens if they don't believe your child is 12 and ask for proof you don't have? And if they determine the child is a junior and you don't have a badge for them, they're SOL... and you probably are too if you can't leave them alone while you go into the Con.

So for me, it's not worth pushing the envelope.

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2012, 08:44:43 PM »
What's up nerds?! My name is Ismael and I've been going to the SDCC since '99. These last few years my wife (Jeanette) and I have been going and she just loves the cosplay scene. I enjoy picking up some back issues of Marvel Comics, mainly The Punisher. I'll be there this year, all 4 days and staying in downtown. See you soon!
Hi there, Ismael!  Welcome to the FCCI forums.

Hello all my name is Paul and last yr was the 1st time for the me and the family. We went on sat only, this yr it's all four days. I got tickets thru the 2nd chance resales because when we finally got into the waiting room we were about 35,000 so we had no shot, during 2nd chance it was about 835.     
  We stayed in Anaheim last time and we'll be much closer this time. Haha! My daughter dressed up as Sakura Haruno and she was happy cuz ppl were recognizing her costume. We got parking under the convention center and that was nice because when our bags got full we went downstairs and unloaded and grabbed snacks. Anyways see you all in July.
Hello, Paul!  Welcome to the newly upgraded forums.  Oh, cool, will your daughter be cosplaying this year as well?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline dogberry

• Gaming Lounge
  • Stories are worth dying for.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2012, 08:07:19 PM »
Something I find really refreshing about SDCC is that, in my previous experience of attending Cons in Australia, Singapore and Taiwan, I belonged to the 'older' age group because it seemed everyone around me was in high school or college freshmen, and I wasn't even that old! (I started cosplaying and going to cons during my postgrad years and up to my first year of entering the full-time workforce before I stopped in 2009). It was harder to plan post-con outings or parties then because everyone had some curfew or parental/financial restrictions, being much younger. I remember booking a bunch of hotel rooms for my huge bunch of cosplay friends and I to be near the convention centre and ended up having to answer to all their parents and take responsibility for their safety - and I was 23 then.

However, what with everyone here talking about their jobs and kids, I feel like the average age bar is raised! Or maybe it's just on this forums, but now I feel like a kid compared to most of you! :P It's awesome that so many people here are still unabashed fans and pursuing what they love together with their spouses and children. :)

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2012, 08:42:31 PM »
However, what with everyone here talking about their jobs and kids, I feel like the average age bar is raised! Or maybe it's just on this forums, but now I feel like a kid compared to most of you! :P It's awesome that so many people here are still unabashed fans and pursuing what they love together with their spouses and children. :)
I agree--it's great that some people get their families involved in some of the things they're interested in.  Good family bonding time as well as meeting new people! ^_^

I feel the same way about some of the other conventions I attend--I feel like the general age for attendees have been around high school through college, but I've noticed more recently that more families have been attending together.  (I recently graduated college myself, but I still feel so old compared to some of them! Ha ha.)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2012, 09:14:09 AM »
This board seems to have a wide age range. I know I feel ancient when I go to cosplay.com, because those people are all still in high school for the most part. I still go there, but I understand that I'm not the 'average' member on that board.

As compared to other cons, I think SDCC has a much wider range of attendees. I definitely see many 'older people' as well as people with children, as well as 'young people'. It seems tio be a fairly good age cross-section, which is probably why it's so popular: it appeals to everyone!

The thing is, when you 'grow up', do you keep your love of all things geeky? I certainly have, and when I got married I had a spouse who had done the same. We raise our children to appreciate all of the things we love, and so they are the 'next generation'. These are the kinds of people who come to SDCC.

Additionally, since it has been going on for decades, many of the attendees are 2nd generation or even 3rd generation. This definitely creates a more 'family' atmosphere.

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2012, 12:15:18 PM »
I just realized that I didn't post up an introduction in here. (I was reading through the thread again, ha ha.)

Greetings!  I'm Zero, one of your friendly FCCI Forum Admins.  ^_^ I help around with behind-the-scenes maintenance on the forums, such as reorganizing the forum threads, CSS coding (to make the colors look more SDCCI-themed, ha ha!), and general forum moderation. If you ever need any assistance while perusing the FCCI Forums, please don't hesitate to PM me. I'll be glad to answer any questions you may have.

I'm originally from L.A., but I've lived in S.D. for five years now.  Wow, how time flies! Ha ha.  I'm recently graduated from UC San Diego, but I currently work part-time as an ESL teaching assistant at UCSD Extension on the main campus.  Oddly enough, I'm not even an English or Linguistics major--I studied Molecular Biology and Japanese Studies--but I really enjoy teaching English to international students studying abroad in the U.S.  I actually plan to teach English abroad, come back to the States, and then do my Master's in Forensic Science.  (I'll be leaving in the fall, so I'm really excited!) 

Anyways, I'm looking forward to this year's con and hopefully being able to meet some of you there!  It's 66 days until Comic-Con, so we're in the home stretch now.

If anyone's interested in possibly meeting up during the week of con, here's the planning meet-up thread:
Post in that thread which day is best for you, and I'll add you to the list in the first post.  Note that it doesn't have to be a long meet-up; it can be something like two hours to grab a quick snack and hang out for a little bit.  Once it gets closer to con, there will be a more definite date and time.

^_^d
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 01:19:43 PM by Zero »

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2012, 06:13:43 PM »
Hi, Zero, great to see you here! :D

Offline AlaskaRainbow

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 139
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2012, 01:56:44 PM »
Hello Everyone!  Finally joined as an official member since I've been stalking this forum for months.  This is my first time going to the Mothership and it's already been a mind blowing experience dealing with badges, hotels, etc.  Didn't get a badge for all the days but did luck out and got accepted as a Volunteer so I'll miss Preview night but will still get to be there for the rest of the week.  Got a hotel but like a lot of people not on my "wish list" - still hoping for a downtown location.

My partner and I are coming from Alaska (I know the heat is going to kill me!) and really hope we get to meet some or all of you!
Thanks so much to everyone who posts here regularly on all subjects - you don't realize how much you've helped this newb!!!

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.  And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.  Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." 

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2012, 01:58:42 PM »
I'm sure you'll have a great time, Rainbow! Don't give up hope on the hotel. Stalk the Travel Planner's site on May 11 and 12 (the first deadline for cancellations is May 11). Chances are good that some downtown hotels will be thrown back into the pool. But they'll be snatched up fast, so you have to be on the ball to get them!

Offline AlaskaRainbow

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 139
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2012, 02:06:37 PM »
I've been in contact so much with Travel Planners they're starting to recognize my voice  :D 
I know we're going to have an awesome time because no matter what we're going to be at COMIC-CON  (said with a coffee fueled caffeine spike squeal of maniacal glee)