Author Topic: Reports & check ins in the age of Covid  (Read 127705 times)

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 591
Re: Reports & check ins in the age of Covid
« Reply #165 on: April 02, 2020, 11:35:49 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
i do not get that.... perhaps a reprimand but relieved of duty? that smacks of the higher up's not taking this seriously
I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the decision, but I don't think it means that they're not taking this seriously. I think it's quite the opposite. I think going outside the chain of command and going public might have been seen by the higher-ups as alerting other nations that we have an important asset that might not be at full readiness. It might also be seen as unnecessarily making our own citizens nervous that our military as a whole may be in a weakened position (this can't be the only vessel in this situation). I do have to think that this commander had to be in a very tough spot. He had to know that going public would get him relieved of duty, so he must have been desperate to get the people under his command the help they needed, and he saw no other way. Things must be very bad on this ship for him to throw away his career to save his people.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #166 on: April 02, 2020, 11:51:14 PM »
thx You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login & You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login that makes sense
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #167 on: Today at 07:47:10 AM »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #167 on: April 03, 2020, 12:26:22 AM »
How good are people at staying home?  Google spying has an answer for that.  Google has launched a website showing how mobile people are.  I was surprised that there's not much difference across the states.  The states with mandatory stay at home orders aren't that different from the states without it.  Overall, the United States is not doing a very good job.  Even Brazil who's President doesn't take covid seriously at all is better at staying at home.  Europe is much better at staying home, particularly Italy and Spain.  But even France, Germany and the UK are really up there.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #168 on: April 03, 2020, 12:34:47 AM »
it doesn't seem as tho the Comfort & Mercy are going to be much help.   :(

[the] Navy hospital ship, the U.S.N.S. Mercy, docked in Los Angeles, has had a total of 15 patients ...

A tangle of military protocols and bureaucratic hurdles has prevented the Comfort [docked in nyc] from accepting many patients at all.
On top of its strict rules preventing people infected with the virus from coming on board, the Navy is also refusing to treat a host of other conditions. Guidelines disseminated to hospitals included a list of 49 medical conditions that would exclude a patient from admittance to the ship.

Ambulances cannot take patients directly to the Comfort; they must first deliver patients to a city hospital for a lengthy evaluation — including a test for the virus — and then pick them up again for transport to the ship.

At a morning briefing on Thursday, officials said three patients had been moved to the Comfort. After The New York Times published an article with that number, Elizabeth Baker, a spokeswoman for the Navy, said the number had increased to 20 by late in the day. “We’re bringing them on as fast as we can bring them on,” she said.

Hospital leaders said they were exasperated by the delays.

more;

Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #169 on: April 03, 2020, 08:18:58 AM »
Staying at home is also income related.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #170 on: April 03, 2020, 02:07:47 PM »
I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the decision, but I don't think it means that they're not taking this seriously. I think it's quite the opposite. I think going outside the chain of command and going public might have been seen by the higher-ups as alerting other nations that we have an important asset that might not be at full readiness. It might also be seen as unnecessarily making our own citizens nervous that our military as a whole may be in a weakened position (this can't be the only vessel in this situation). I do have to think that this commander had to be in a very tough spot. He had to know that going public would get him relieved of duty, so he must have been desperate to get the people under his command the help they needed, and he saw no other way. Things must be very bad on this ship for him to throw away his career to save his people.

He didn't go public.  He wrote an internal memo and sent it up the chain of command.  The only problem was that he skipped a link in the chain, the guy right above him.  His internal memo was leaked publicly.  So the Navy removed him because they felt that he couldn't command effectively because he was so emotional about the lives of the people he was responsible for.  This is how those people that were under his command feel about what he did.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #171 on: April 03, 2020, 02:14:26 PM »
This kind of tracking data, while appearing helpful at this time, feels uncomfortable. :-[
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #172 on: April 03, 2020, 02:17:09 PM »
imnsho, the navy got two black eyes recently, the first due to dismissing the Roosevelt's captain and second due to the lack of actual help the two hospitals ships are providing.

This kind of tracking data, while appearing helpful at this time, feels uncomfortable. :-[
yeah, I've seen tracking due to phone signals but this takes it to a new level of big brother

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #173 on: April 03, 2020, 07:34:05 PM »

We live close to beaches and right around the corner from a large county park and the closures have had a noticeable impact. No force on earth is going to keep surfers and mountain bikers from going about their day but closing the parking lots, ....

San Diego banned surfing at public beaches.
I'm keeping my trunk attached to my bike so I can always say I'm foraging for food

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #174 on: April 04, 2020, 06:02:26 PM »
a comfortable looking, no sew method to make a mask from an old t-shirt

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #175 on: April 05, 2020, 09:23:17 AM »
That's a great video.
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #176 on: April 05, 2020, 11:43:24 AM »
That's a great video.

thx, luv the repurposing of something we all have. I'm going to dig out a free-be con giveaway shirt i never will wear & convert it. Love the idea of using a paper towel as a filter.

oh and with thanks to everyone, especially You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login - i remembered to apply all the ninjaF5'ing skills to getting an amazon fresh food delivery spot!! I feel like i just won the lottery. and i have fresh veg for supper tonight #happyMe!

I got freaked out by a homeless person who kept approaching me in a parking lot as i sat on my bike last time i went to the store.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 11:45:40 AM by alyssa »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #177 on: April 05, 2020, 09:56:32 PM »
I worry that Fauci won't be on the task force or possibly at his post period much longer.  It's infamous what happens to people that contradict the President.  Today at the briefing, he was pushed off to the side and Trump wouldn't let him answer a question directly asked to him.  There's also this report of a dust up about the same issue behind the scenes.

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #178 on: April 06, 2020, 08:30:22 AM »
I worry that Fauci won't be on the task force or possibly at his post period much longer.  It's infamous what happens to people that contradict the President.  Today at the briefing, he was pushed off to the side and Trump wouldn't let him answer a question directly asked to him.  There's also this report of a dust up about the same issue behind the scenes.

Yes, a huge concern. 

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #179 on: April 06, 2020, 01:11:25 PM »
I have to think Trump will keep Fauchi on board till we get through the the hump of the outbreak. Then he will be fired in a similar way the Intelligence Community IG Atkinson was fired last week.

Cali is loaning 500 vent's to the fed stockpile. They will be used back east in hot spots. According to gov Newsom
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 01:13:37 PM by alyssa »