Author Topic: Reports & check ins in the age of Covid  (Read 127692 times)

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 829
Re: Reports & check ins in the age of Covid
« Reply #270 on: June 25, 2020, 11:30:48 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Type O is good.  Type A is not good.  I'm type O but the benefit, while welcome, is not so much as to change my behavior at all.  Being type O doesn't make someone impervious.  Type O reduces the chances of being so sick as to need a ventilator, but that doesn't mean there won't be consequences.  That's something else that the Chinese reported a few months ago that's now being confirmed in the rest of the world.  Even after someone recovers, they may not fully recover.  There can be permanent damage.  Even for the lucky that are asymptomatic, they may still have permanent organ damage.  They may not notice it now, but they may a few years down the road.  The more and more we learn about covid.  The worse and worse it gets.  Covid is not a respiratory illness.  It's a whole body illness that's spread through the respiratory system.  To paraphrase Peter Piot, it effects every cell in the body.

FWIW, my doctor just called back with my blood type test results.  I'm Type-O positive.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 01:15:34 PM by Andrew Costa Mesa »
WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #271 on: June 25, 2020, 01:16:35 PM »
FWIW, my doctor just called back with my blood type test results.  I'm Type-O positive.

I'm the same.  Roughly half the population is Type O.  It's the most common blood type.  Unfortunately Type A is the second most common.

I've known my blood type since elementary school.  We tested for it ourselves.  This was decades ago before there were relatively painless spring loaded lancets.  To a fourth grader, we used what looked like a little spear to poke ourselves.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #272 on: Today at 06:34:17 AM »

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #272 on: June 25, 2020, 01:41:32 PM »
I'm the same.  Roughly half the population is Type O.  It's the most common blood type.  Unfortunately Type A is the second most common.

I've known my blood type since elementary school.  We tested for it ourselves.  This was decades ago before there were relatively painless spring loaded lancets.  To a fourth grader, we used what looked like a little spear to poke ourselves.

My mom told me about doing that in school when she was a kid! It's mind-boggling now to think of a school being so cavalier about letting all the kids cut themselves and then potentially bleed on each other/the whole classroom.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #273 on: June 25, 2020, 03:18:13 PM »
My mom told me about doing that in school when she was a kid! It's mind-boggling now to think of a school being so cavalier about letting all the kids cut themselves and then potentially bleed on each other/the whole classroom.
Seriously!  I've heard similar stories, but as a teacher I can't fathom doing something like that nowadays.  I'm a band teacher, and I'm not shy about letting students tinker with instruments/tools in order to solve problems, but giving kids needles or whatever to poke themselves/draw blood seems like a serious no-no!

• Pre-Registration
« Reply #274 on: June 25, 2020, 03:32:21 PM »
Proof in those days we humans were still a work in progress!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 03:35:00 PM by Andrew Costa Mesa »
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017

Offline brand4d2

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 291
« Reply #275 on: June 25, 2020, 09:58:30 PM »
I had someone harass, threaten and discriminate against me on our Los Angeles public transit today.   They got up out of their seat, walked towards me and screamed about “why am I spreading the virus” and to “bring it back to your country”.    The entire time I’m “Jedi Mind Tricking” and hoping he stops his nonsense and hatred and walks back to his seat.   

If I really were covid positive, walking towards me would be the worst thing one could do so that doesn’t make too much sense to me.  It sure does not help when certain prominent leaders fan the flames of such negativity.   

When the quarantine and lockdown period began, I thought working in a facility where covid patients would be treated would be in and of itself the most difficult thing.   And for the first few weeks it was...it was extremely terrifying just setting foot on the floor where our covid care ward is located.   It felt like being in a combo of Stranger Things and Jurassic Park where the virus could be anywhere and strike at any time.   

Fast forward to now and that part is easy compared to seeing all the resistance and noncompliance with masks and distancing and not gathering in large groups.  Or else the anti Asian/Chinese rhetoric or the “covid is a hoax” rhetoric.   I really could not have envisioned that coping mentally with all this would be the greatest challenge. 

• Pre-Registration
« Reply #276 on: June 25, 2020, 10:39:46 PM »
brand4d2, I’m sorry you experienced that.  I’m half Vietnamese and my mother is Vietnamese and I worry for her when she goes out.  I feel I have to guard her 24/7.  A couple of weeks ago, I took her to a Vietnamese market and from a distance a white woman who looks like she hasn’t showered in over a month was yelling “YOU DON’T BELONG HERE.”  I kept my mother a safe distance from her, but had she gotten close to us, I think there’s a good chance either one of us would end up in jail.

Sorry you got confronted with the reality of public transportation.  It seems to be a magnet for crazies of all races.  I grew up in New York and had to put up with them on occasion.  Sometimes I watch videos of public transportation shouting matches and fist fights on YouTube.
D23 Expo 2017

Offline Miclpea

• Hall H
  • Liked: 350
« Reply #277 on: June 26, 2020, 03:17:09 PM »
These cons, in theory, are still a go!

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #278 on: June 26, 2020, 08:08:26 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login I'm so sorry that happened to you!  People can really be horrible. 

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login I'm sorry you and your mom were targeted as well.  What is wrong with people!?!

• Pre-Registration
« Reply #279 on: June 29, 2020, 01:34:42 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login I'm so sorry that happened to you!  People can really be horrible. 

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login I'm sorry you and your mom were targeted as well.  What is wrong with people!?!

Two things 1.) Some people react badly during a crisis/pandemic and 2.) We have a leader who doesn't lead by example.  That's what's wrong with people!
D23 Expo 2017

Offline VeggieKitten

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 36
Reports & check ins in the age of Covid
« Reply #280 on: June 29, 2020, 01:50:14 AM »
Two things 1.) Some people react badly during a crisis/pandemic and 2.) We have a leader who doesn't lead by example.  That's what's wrong with people!
I’ve been hearing about these incidents more and more. It’s racist scapegoating and despicable!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 02:03:33 AM by Kitty »

Offline VeggieKitten

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 36
« Reply #281 on: June 29, 2020, 01:56:55 AM »
@brand4d2

How awful! Please be careful and thank you for taking care of the patients. I read an article in Time magazine about this issue today.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #282 on: June 29, 2020, 07:57:32 AM »
So sorry that you had to endure that. Sounds awful.

I have to say that recent events genuinely make me sad that racism and many other forms of discrimination are very much alive and well in 2020.  I thought we had progressed further past this than we are.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #283 on: June 29, 2020, 09:04:50 PM »
I had someone harass, threaten and discriminate against me on our Los Angeles public transit today.   They got up out of their seat, walked towards me and screamed about “why am I spreading the virus” and to “bring it back to your country”.    The entire time I’m “Jedi Mind Tricking” and hoping he stops his nonsense and hatred and walks back to his seat.   

You have more Jedi calm than me.  In those situations I'm up on my feet and giving as good as I get.

At least you live in LA.  San Diego is still pretty redneck.  It's much better than it used to be but there are still parts of the county where people openly wear KKK hoods and are not shy about displaying swastikas.  Growing up here as a kid, I saw more Confederate flags than Old Glory.

Fast forward to now and that part is easy compared to seeing all the resistance and noncompliance with masks and distancing and not gathering in large groups.  Or else the anti Asian/Chinese rhetoric or the “covid is a hoax” rhetoric.   I really could not have envisioned that coping mentally with all this would be the greatest challenge.

I feel the same.  The saddest part is the apathy of the American public.  They've gotten bored with covid and have decided to move on.  In the US, the pandemic is worse than it's ever been yet so many people are acting like it's old news.

brand4d2, I’m sorry you experienced that.  I’m half Vietnamese and my mother is Vietnamese and I worry for her when she goes out.  I feel I have to guard her 24/7.  A couple of weeks ago, I took her to a Vietnamese market and from a distance a white woman who looks like she hasn’t showered in over a month was yelling “YOU DON’T BELONG HERE.”  I kept my mother a safe distance from her, but had she gotten close to us, I think there’s a good chance either one of us would end up in jail.

I feel the same about my parents.  If anyone messes with them, it's going to be a problem.  While a lot of racism comes from people that are un-kept, there are people that are perfectly presentable that are the same.  You can't judge a book by it's cover.  The recent spat of videos from New York and SF demonstrate that.

Sorry you got confronted with the reality of public transportation.  It seems to be a magnet for crazies of all races.  I grew up in New York and had to put up with them on occasion.  Sometimes I watch videos of public transportation shouting matches and fist fights on YouTube.

New York public transit is downright delightful compared to San Diego.  People that only visit San Diego during comic-con don't realize how bad it is.  Since comic-con attendees so overwhelm the regular ridership.  It completely changes the atmosphere.  Outside of that on the Trolley I've seen fist fights, one so close that it got blood on my backpack.  I don't even ride the Trolley that much outside of comic-con, only to and from the airport.

I've taken public transit all over the world.  From France to China to Thailand to Peru.  It doesn't have to be bad.  In most of those countries it's great.  Especially in China and Japan.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 10:47:03 PM by chocolateshake »

Offline brand4d2

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 291
« Reply #284 on: July 01, 2020, 08:03:24 PM »

How awful! Please be careful and thank you for taking care of the patients. I read an article in Time magazine about this issue today.

Thanks!   Also thank you for that article link