Author Topic: Reports & check ins in the age of Covid  (Read 127769 times)

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
Re: Reports & check ins in the age of Covid
« Reply #360 on: November 11, 2020, 12:23:09 PM »
The math is funky.  The US says that we have the option to acquire another 500,000 doses in addition to the 100,000 already allocated.  That's half of the 1.3 billion global supply.  Europe too lays claim to a few hundred million doses.

That 1.3 billion doses by the end of 2021 is a goal, not a guarantee.  They said their hope is to ramp up production to be able to meet that goal.  This is not an easy vaccine to make, store or transport.  It won't be something that'll be waiting at every pharmacy like a flu vaccine.  It has a short shelf life and will have to be drop shipped to planned vaccination events.  Once it leaves the deep freeze at Pfizer it has 2 weeks of being in dry ice before expiring.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 01:43:09 PM by chocolateshake »

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 738
« Reply #361 on: November 11, 2020, 01:54:13 PM »
San Diego just went to purple tier, which means stores are now at 25% capacity, restaurants need to go mostly outside.

They say the biggest culpris are restaurants, cafes, bars, breweries, places where you are there for a prolonged time like places of worship, schools.

We went to grab food at a restaurant last night and a guy walks in to pick up an order. He doesn't have a mask, they nearly physically removed him. They were telling him to get the heck out and he was standing there dumbfounded, like he just woke up from a year long coma. She asked him where is his mask and he said he doesn't own one. WTH?! How is that possible? He left, totally confused. It was bizarre to witness.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #362 on: Today at 11:26:41 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #362 on: November 11, 2020, 07:05:41 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
San Diego just went to purple tier, which means stores are now at 25% capacity, restaurants need to go mostly outside.

They say the biggest culpris are restaurants, cafes, bars, breweries, places where you are there for a prolonged time like places of worship, schools.

We went to grab food at a restaurant last night and a guy walks in to pick up an order. He doesn't have a mask, they nearly physically removed him. They were telling him to get the heck out and he was standing there dumbfounded, like he just woke up from a year long coma. She asked him where is his mask and he said he doesn't own one. WTH?! How is that possible? He left, totally confused. It was bizarre to witness.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I keep thinking of the #1 rule of zombie apocalypse:  Immediate, honest self-identification when people get bit.

Based on covid, the zombie apocalypse is going to be a disaster.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #363 on: November 12, 2020, 12:10:04 PM »
If I remember right, there are a few of us that delayed smog testing are cars due to the pandemic.  I still haven't smogged my car that I paid the registration for in the spring.  It hasn't been a problem since I have another car.  But now that car is due for a smog test.  So now I will have to decide whether to go ahead with a smog test or sit it out again.  In the spring, the DMV said that it was OK for people to pay now and then wait until covid subsides before getting a smog test.  That they were asking law enforcement not to enforce expired tags.  From what I can tell, that is still the DMV position.  Of course, it's just a request to law enforcement since they have no sway over them.  Anecdotally at least, law enforcement seems to be following along and has not been ticketing expired tags.  Why didn't DMV just suspend the smog test requirement for the duration of the pandemic?

What have other people that needed smog tests done?

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #364 on: November 12, 2020, 12:20:29 PM »

I got a smog check last April. It's like anywhere else: you make an appointment, only one person at a time, everyone wears masks and stays distant. It's not really a big deal.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #365 on: November 12, 2020, 03:18:30 PM »
Except the smog test tech will have to examine the car.  Including sitting in the seat, handling the steering wheel and other drive controls.  So there would be transference from everyone that person tested that day.  Infection from surfaces has been downplayed in the US.  In NZ they traced the source of community infection to a trash can lid.  It's common in the rest of the world to see people in suits going around and spraying everything down both inside and outside.  I guess I could use the ozone generator on the car when I got home.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #366 on: November 12, 2020, 05:09:22 PM »
I keep thinking of the #1 rule of zombie apocalypse:  Immediate, honest self-identification when people get bit.

Based on covid, the zombie apocalypse is going to be a disaster.
we have absolutely proved that what we thought were dumb disease apocalyptic movie cliches, were in reality, correct.  HomoSapians are doomed
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 538
« Reply #367 on: November 13, 2020, 05:01:36 AM »
If I remember right, there are a few of us that delayed smog testing are cars due to the pandemic.  I still haven't smogged my car that I paid the registration for in the spring.  It hasn't been a problem since I have another car.  But now that car is due for a smog test.  So now I will have to decide whether to go ahead with a smog test or sit it out again.  In the spring, the DMV said that it was OK for people to pay now and then wait until covid subsides before getting a smog test.  That they were asking law enforcement not to enforce expired tags.  From what I can tell, that is still the DMV position.  Of course, it's just a request to law enforcement since they have no sway over them.  Anecdotally at least, law enforcement seems to be following along and has not been ticketing expired tags.  Why didn't DMV just suspend the smog test requirement for the duration of the pandemic?

We have self serve Emissions tests here now. I was extended until March but I'll do self serve when it's time.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #368 on: November 13, 2020, 10:15:32 AM »
I wish we had that here in California.  My car doesn't even get a tailpipe test.  It's an OBDII and visual inspection.  I never got the point of the visual inspection as long as a car passes tailpipe or OBD.  I know they are looking for any smog equipment mods, but as long as the car is emitting within spec why should they care?  On newer cars where a OBD dump is used instead of a tailpipe test, we could do that from home.  There's an app for that.

On another topic, it's only 9 days since the US broke 100,000 new covid cases a day.  Today we broke 150,000.  The trend is not our friend.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #369 on: November 13, 2020, 11:38:07 AM »
we have absolutely proved that what we thought were dumb disease apocalyptic movie cliches, were in reality, correct.  HomoSapians are doomed

The first time I saw this was the Walking Dead escape at comic con where 70% of the people I knew who got infected didn't report it.

But that was a game and this is the really real world.

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 591
Reports & check ins in the age of Covid
« Reply #370 on: November 13, 2020, 11:45:44 AM »
The first time I saw this was the Walking Dead escape at comic con where 70% of the people I knew who got infected didn't report it.

I got infected within 20 ft. of the finish. I opted to eat a bullet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 11:48:24 AM by mickeyjack3 »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #371 on: November 15, 2020, 01:20:47 AM »
I feel lucky to be in San Diego.  The positivity rate for covid is 4%.  In South Dakota it's 56%.

Moderna released preliminary results of it's vaccine, 94.5% effective.  It has a big advantage over the Pfizer vaccine in that it can last up to 30 days in the refrigerator.  It'll be easier to distribute and administer.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 09:10:52 AM by chocolateshake »

Offline VeggieKitten

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 36
« Reply #372 on: November 18, 2020, 12:12:21 AM »
Except the smog test tech will have to examine the car.  Including sitting in the seat, handling the steering wheel and other drive controls.  So there would be transference from everyone that person tested that day.  Infection from surfaces has been downplayed in the US.  In NZ they traced the source of community infection to a trash can lid.  It's common in the rest of the world to see people in suits going around and spraying everything down both inside and outside.  I guess I could use the ozone generator on the car when I got home.
I haven’t had to get a smog test during the pandemic yet. But if I had to and was concerned about it, I might get disposable or really cheap covers for the car seat and steering wheel and throw them out right after, keep the windows down during the test, Lysol wipe everything right afterward (allowing to air dry), drive home with windows down and mask on (even possibly using other throwaway set of seat and steering wheel covers), and then, if possible, I wouldn’t drive the car again for several days.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #373 on: November 18, 2020, 06:22:16 AM »
I feel lucky to be in San Diego.  The positivity rate for covid is 4%.  In South Dakota it's 56%.

Moderna released preliminary results of it's vaccine, 94.5% effective.  It has a big advantage over the Pfizer vaccine in that it can last up to 30 days in the refrigerator.  It'll be easier to distribute and administer.
Pfizer released the first set of complete results from a late-stage vaccine trial
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #374 on: November 18, 2020, 12:47:38 PM »
Yes they did.  They upped the effective rate to 95% which matches Moderna.  Which makes sense since the vaccines are very similar.  I look forward to results from traditional vaccines to see how they compare.  Both these 95% vaccines use new technology that has never been used before.  They aren't vaccines in the traditional sense.  They are instructions for your body to produce what would be considered a traditional vaccine.  They program your body to make the vaccine.  At 95% effective it's a game changer.  Much higher than the 50% threshold or even the 70% that was hoped for.  Now if 90% of the population would take it like the measles vaccine and covid could become something we have to keep in mind, but not let govern our lives.

I wonder if and how well these vaccines work against the common cold.  Coronaviruses all share that spike protein which is the target of these vaccines.  It's already known that having a common cold offers some immunity against covid for a few months.  That would be a silver lining to the covid pandemic.  If there was finally a cure for the common cold.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 12:52:53 PM by chocolateshake »