Author Topic: Reports & check ins in the age of Covid  (Read 127665 times)

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
Re: Reports & check ins in the age of Covid
« Reply #420 on: December 15, 2020, 02:50:19 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
A few days ago, Dr. Anthony Fauci told CNN’s Chris Cuomo that if enough Americans take the vaccine, the U.S. could see some return to normalcy between Summer and Fall of 2021.

He also says that people should still wear masks and socially distance even after getting vaccinated.  He's factoring all that into his estimate.  He's repeatedly said that the criteria for some return to normalcy is a low level of virus in the community, not how many people are vaccinated.  Vaccinations are just another tool in addition to masks and social distancing to get there.

"I said a combination of an effective vaccine and adherence to certain public-health principles will get us to the point where we want to be, by the end of 2021," Fauci said during a lunchtime call over pizza on Wednesday. "I never said just the vaccine. You never should abandon the public-health measures."

« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 02:53:21 PM by chocolateshake »

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 829
« Reply #421 on: December 15, 2020, 06:29:40 PM »
According to Sharon LaFraniere, Katie Thomas and Noah Weiland of The New York Times, the Trump administration is trying to at least partially offset a shortage of the Pfizer vaccine between April and June of next year.

“The Trump administration is negotiating a deal to use its power to free up supplies of raw materials to help Pfizer produce tens of millions of additional doses of its Covid-19 vaccine for Americans in the first half of next year, people familiar with the situation said.

“Should an agreement be struck, it could at least partially remedy a looming shortage that the administration itself arguably helped create by not pre-ordering more doses of the vaccine Pfizer developed with its German partner, BioNTech. Pfizer agreed this summer to provide the United States with 100 million doses by the end of March, enough to inoculate 50 million people since its vaccine requires two shots.

“In recent days, however, Pfizer has indicated that it would be able to manufacture more doses if the administration orders the company’s suppliers to prioritize its purchase requests. The two sides are now negotiating a contract under which Pfizer would provide tens of millions more doses between April and the end of June.

“Moderna, a small Massachusetts-based firm that developed a similar vaccine, agreed last summer to provide the United States with 100 million doses by the end of March. It has now pledged to sell another 100 million doses by the end of June.”
WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #422 on: Today at 04:48:07 AM »

• Pre-Registration
« Reply #422 on: December 15, 2020, 06:38:01 PM »
He also says that people should still wear masks and socially distance even after getting vaccinated.  He's factoring all that into his estimate.  He's repeatedly said that the criteria for some return to normalcy is a low level of virus in the community, not how many people are vaccinated.  Vaccinations are just another tool in addition to masks and social distancing to get there.

Even before I discovered what he said, I was already resigned to wearing a mask and social distancing at least until the end of 2021.
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #423 on: December 16, 2020, 07:18:54 PM »
Good news on the Pfizer vaccine availability today.  It seems that Pfizer was being liberal with how much vaccine they put in each bottle.  There is supposed to be 5 doses but people have been finding that there's enough left for 1-2 more doses per vial.  That's 20-40% more supply.  The FDA says it's OK to use the leftovers.

We really need it.  Here in California cases have spiked 500% in the last month.  I thought it was off the hook when we broke 10,000 new cases a day.  A month later, we are over 50,000 cases a day.

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #424 on: December 17, 2020, 07:54:22 AM »
Good news on the Pfizer vaccine availability today.  It seems that Pfizer was being liberal with how much vaccine they put in each bottle.  There is supposed to be 5 doses but people have been finding that there's enough left for 1-2 more doses per vial.  That's 20-40% more supply.  The FDA says it's OK to use the leftovers.

We really need it.  Here in California cases have spiked 500% in the last month.  I thought it was off the hook when we broke 10,000 new cases a day.  A month later, we are over 50,000 cases a day.

This is really great news!! 

Here is AZ we have the highest rate of spread in the nation, a Rt of 1.19.  Which makes lots of sense since our governor is doing nothing and we have restaurants open.  Sigh.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #425 on: December 17, 2020, 09:46:09 AM »
This is really great news!! 

Here is AZ we have the highest rate of spread in the nation, a Rt of 1.19.  Which makes lots of sense since our governor is doing nothing and we have restaurants open.  Sigh.

According to this site,

as of this morning (Dec. 17) Arizona is 1.15 and California is 1.16. The worst in the nation right now is apparently Maine with 1.23.

Of course, it can differ from county to county.

The reality is that it's difficult to tell from this kind of data who is shut down and who isn't. The virus transmits incredibly easily. We are all going to get it (vaccines aside). The question is only how fast it transmits and whether or not the hospitals can deal with it.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #426 on: December 17, 2020, 10:05:19 AM »
In more good Pfizer vaccine news, they say they will be able to produce 100 million more doses next year than they thought.  Once again, they've offered first dibs to the US.  Once again, the outgoing administration is waffling on whether to accept their offer or not.

I wonder if Pfizer is just going to put less vaccine in each vial with all the reports that they've been putting in too much.  So then they will have another 100 million doses to sell.

In bad vaccine news, the distribution of the vaccine has gone awry.  Some states are saying that the CDC has told them to expect up to 40% less vaccine than they were promised.  This shouldn't be confused with the existing reductions that Pfizer has already stated.  This is from the already reduced levels.  The government is blaming this on production delays at Pfizer.  Pfizer says they have millions of doses ready in warehouses waiting for the government to say where to send them.  So there is vaccine sitting around waiting for the government to distribute it but the government is telling states there's not.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 12:25:15 PM by chocolateshake »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #427 on: December 17, 2020, 12:43:01 PM »
In more good Pfizer vaccine news, they say they will be able to produce 100 million more doses next year than they thought.  Once again, they've offered first dibs to the US.  Once again, the outgoing administration is waffling on whether to accept their offer or not.

I wonder if Pfizer is just going to put less vaccine in each vial with all the reports that they've been putting in too much.  So then they will have another 100 million doses to sell.

In bad vaccine news, the distribution of the vaccine has gone awry.  Some states are saying that the CDC has told them to expect up to 40% less vaccine than they were promised.  This shouldn't be confused with the existing reductions that Pfizer has already stated.  This is from the already reduced levels.  The government is blaming this on production delays at Pfizer.  Pfizer says they have millions of doses ready in warehouses waiting for the government to say where to send them.  So there is vaccine sitting around waiting for the government to distribute it but the government is telling states there's not.
Geezus I can't wait to have competent federal government again....

• Pre-Registration
« Reply #428 on: December 17, 2020, 02:05:59 PM »
Southern California is in a crisis like none other.  ICU capacity is out completely.  If you have a medical emergency, you're on your own.

D23 Expo 2017

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #429 on: December 17, 2020, 03:23:36 PM »
It's bad here in San Diego.  Hospitals are now allowed to blanket turn away ambulances to the ER.  That's unheard of.  They do have to seek permission and each time it's granted it expires in a few hours.  Still, imagine calling 911 and there not being a hospital to go to.  This happened because over the weekend, people had to wait up to 7 hours after getting to the ER to get in.  While not unusual in chairs during a bad flu season, generally when a ambulance brings you in it's a much shorter wait.  The ambulance crew has to stay with you until the ER accepts you so if the wait is 7 hours then that's a ambulance out of commission for 7 hours.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #430 on: December 17, 2020, 04:15:20 PM »
Southern California is in a crisis like none other.  ICU capacity is out completely.  If you have a medical emergency, you're on your own.

I've known people who spent _hours_ in San Diego trying to find a hospital for breathing issues a few weeks ago.  A friend of a friend's girlfriend died a week ago because she had a severe asthma attack and couldn't find an Emergency Room that would/could take her ASAP.

It's bad here in San Diego.  Hospitals are now allowed to blanket turn away ambulances to the ER.  That's unheard of.  They do have to seek permission and each time it's granted it expires in a few hours.  Still, imagine calling 911 and there not being a hospital to go to.  This happened because over the weekend, people had to wait up to 7 hours after getting to the ER to get in.  While not unusual in chairs during a bad flu season, generally when a ambulance brings you in it's a much shorter wait.  The ambulance crew has to stay with you until the ER accepts you so if the wait is 7 hours then that's a ambulance out of commission for 7 hours.
Yeah I got a message from a friend who's a nurse that told me to be extremely careful, as ANY type of serious injury would likely not be able to be treated for quite a long time.  Many feared a worst-case scenario was coming in the weeks following Thanksgiving, and we are absolutely in the worst-case scenario now.
And there are _STILL_ fools traveling for the Holidays  >:( :(

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #431 on: December 18, 2020, 06:03:27 AM »
I've heard reports of a 5 hour wait to get tested in Chula Vista.

Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #432 on: December 18, 2020, 09:30:40 AM »
I'm incredibly glad as a HS music teacher who's been going into the classroom daily I have a few weeks to 1) not go ANYWHERE and 2) figure out curriculum that I don't have to teach in person (I like to drum along with the students & that's not conducive in my condo with my oldest zooming college courses, my youngest zooming 1st grade, and my wife working from home).  Our district is scheduled to go in person mid-January but even with minimum campuses open to minimum students we're having MAJOR staffing issues; I can't imagine things will magically be significantly better in four weeks

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #433 on: December 18, 2020, 11:35:13 AM »

It's not surprising.  There are two hotspots in San Diego.  Chula Visa, National City and Imperial Beach is one.  El Cajon, Lemon Grove and Spring Valley is the other.

• Pre-Registration
« Reply #434 on: December 19, 2020, 02:57:52 PM »
Los Angeles is all but certain to be the Covid epicenter just like New York was last Spring.

D23 Expo 2017