Author Topic: Useful items to take to SDCC  (Read 153812 times)

Offline iluvsourwolf

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 3
Re: Useful items to take to SDCC
« Reply #120 on: January 29, 2014, 09:59:29 AM »
I like to do autograph signings and buy prints so those clear 8.5 x 11 plastic photo sleeves are great. At home I keep these in a binder in sheet protectors so i reuse the sleeves. Get one big one too, for big posters and prints.

Bring snacks and a pack lunch. I hate the con food.

I have a collapsible monopod that is great for taking pics. It steadies the hand when taking long distance pics in panels and mine fit in the free fox poster tube last year.

If you run a blog or website, get free business cards at vistsprint and give them out to people you meet.

Offline AlanS

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #121 on: January 30, 2014, 07:43:33 AM »
Sounds like I can use the same badge-holders that I got for Gen Con badges - they seem to be about the same size.  Thanks for the tips on the collapsible chairs, I think I'll snag a couple of those...

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #122 on: Today at 01:12:49 AM »

Offline DaveG

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 572
« Reply #122 on: January 30, 2014, 08:31:09 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Sounds like I can use the same badge-holders that I got for Gen Con badges - they seem to be about the same size.  Thanks for the tips on the collapsible chairs, I think I'll snag a couple of those...

I have both badges from last year.  Gen Con badges are 3" x 4".  Comic Con badges are 3 5/8" x 4".  So the width is identical and the Comic Con badge is a little taller.

Offline annaatcci

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #123 on: February 15, 2014, 10:17:14 PM »
Great information on this thread. Thank you all for such great ideas. Some I hadn't thought of.

Offline SandiGabi

• Room 6BCF
  • Hyaaah!
  • Liked: 24
« Reply #124 on: March 10, 2014, 01:23:14 PM »
Thanks everyone for sharing.

Does anyone suggest what to do get for their cell phone storage? Do you just bring your bag/backpack and stick it in a zipped pocket, etc? Just curious to see how/where people carry their phones, especially if they need easy access to it for picture-taking and whatnot. Thanks again in advance!

Offline retired

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1048
« Reply #125 on: March 10, 2014, 01:48:00 PM »

Does anyone suggest what to do get for their cell phone storage? Do you just bring your bag/backpack and stick it in a zipped pocket, etc? Just curious to see how/where people carry their phones, especially if they need easy access to it for picture-taking and whatnot. Thanks again in advance!

Half the time i just keep the phone camera on, and hold it in my hand so i can take quick pictures. Almost makes me want to buy a real camera so i can keep the phone in my pocket and save the battery.

I brought my laptop bag last year, but felt wierd carrying it around like a purse (Murse?). This year ill man up and wear a two strap backup, despite the conveinence of a single strap bag/pack. biggest downside to a backpack is the sweating. I think ill invent a backpack where the straps blow cool air on your shoulders and back to keep you dry. /millionaireIdea?

Anyways, I would either keep your phone in your hand, and just keep a portable battery pack with you to recharge it, or else buy a camera so you can keep the phone in your pocket.

Offline retired

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1048
« Reply #126 on: March 10, 2014, 02:21:36 PM »

Cooling vest powered by a portable backpack AC unit ! ROFL. Essential for long hours in line under the sun. 8)

only $600

Offline jujubaSD

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 67
« Reply #127 on: March 10, 2014, 02:55:42 PM »

We always bring one backpack and trade who's carrying it. It's a standard backpack, not one of those huges ones that knocks people over lol

We keep our IDs, wallets, and phones in an area that is closed with a travel lock. And pretty much keep a portfolio binder on the inside to keep our comics safe, some snacks, there's a water bottle pocket on the outside, and any other essentials. We have a DSLR though, so our phone doesn't need to be easily accessible as one of is always wearing the DSLR around our neck.

Offline GallifreyGal

• Room 6BCF
  • We're having soft tacos later!
  • Liked: 58
« Reply #128 on: March 10, 2014, 03:30:30 PM »
We always bring one backpack and trade who's carrying it. It's a standard backpack, not one of those huges ones that knocks people over lol

Folks need to remember that their girth increases when wearing a big backpack. My last SDCC, I was almost knocked over multiple times by those ahead of me who forgot they had this extra thing on their back. Please remember us short people!  O:-)
"You know how it is. You put things off for a day and next thing you know, it's a hundred years later." - The Doctor

Offline jujubaSD

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 67
« Reply #129 on: March 10, 2014, 05:09:55 PM »
Folks need to remember that their girth increases when wearing a big backpack. My last SDCC, I was almost knocked over multiple times by those ahead of me who forgot they had this extra thing on their back. Please remember us short people!  O:-)

Exactly! Which is why we keep a smaller/normal backpack. Literally just enough to hold a few protein bars, bananas, home sammiches, and my comic portfolio/holder. Some people use those huge ones that hold cameras and laptops, and I swear they stuff it with an extra pair of clothes. And...ugh. I get knocked around. I'm only 5'1'', so I hear your pain!!!

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
  • Liked: 1750
« Reply #130 on: March 11, 2014, 04:40:08 AM »
I carry a decent sized Swissgear laptop bag for my idevices and SLR. Straps are comfortable after a few hours of walking around.
Time and Relative Dimension in Space - 'TARDIS' for short

Editor-in-Chief of the FoCC Blog

Offline dolphina

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Live Long and Prosper
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #131 on: March 16, 2014, 09:33:05 AM »
When I travel I have learned to carry a wifi extender. It seems that whatever hotel I'm at my room just seems to have poor reception, but I plug in my wifi extender and voila my connection is nice and stable and strong. I bought mine at Best Buy but Amazon probably has it cheaper.
A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting”

Wondercon, SDCC, Comikazi, Blizzcon, SWCA, D23

Offline Pyramid

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Comic Con is a Black Hole for my wallet.
  • Liked: 549
« Reply #132 on: March 16, 2014, 10:58:02 AM »
When I travel I have learned to carry a wifi extender. It seems that whatever hotel I'm at my room just seems to have poor reception, but I plug in my wifi extender and voila my connection is nice and stable and strong. I bought mine at Best Buy but Amazon probably has it cheaper.

Never heard of one, so thx for posting!  The wifi at the BW Island Palms just plain sucks.
Twitter feed:  wes@comicconster

Offline TheOtherMel

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 125
« Reply #133 on: March 26, 2014, 12:10:16 PM »
I'm trying to figure out if I should purchase a sleeping bag for Hall H or one of those tailgate chairs with the leg rests.  I can sleep in a chair I do it all the time at work, so no problem there. LoL  I already have a travel pad for the ground for insulation and comfort I would just need the sleeping bag and costco has a pretty good deal.  So thoughts anyone?
Twitter feed: @mel641

angel_k

« Reply #134 on: March 26, 2014, 12:19:25 PM »
Just keep in mind there's not a lot of room in Hall H itself so whatever you bring with you should be small enough to fit in front of you/on your lap or you should plan on bringing it back to your car/hotel before going into the room.  If that's not a problem, heck yeah bring a sleeping back.  :)  I just bring a sleep sack (like a sleeping back, but about as thing as a sheet), and a sweater and I'm fine.  The hard ground does suck though.