Author Topic: Announcement Regarding SDCC 2020 Buying Groups  (Read 9145 times)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
Re: Announcement Regarding SDCC 2020 Buying Groups
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2019, 11:39:41 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Well then hmm. I wonder what I should do now.
There are a plethora of people on various FB groups looking to form buying groups.  I'm confident you can find several to start up your own thing

Offline smittal777

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2019, 07:53:00 PM »
Hi,

How do I become part of the buying group?

Thanks

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 02:43:42 AM »

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 538
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2019, 06:19:18 AM »
Hi,

How do I become part of the buying group?

Thanks

You can't. They aren't accepting new members.

Offline Catechie

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 28
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2019, 08:56:22 AM »
We joined last year with the hope of getting in a group this year. It looks like that is not a possibility based on this, is that correct? I am still new and wasn't sure if I was supposed to find a group earlier this year.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 538
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2019, 09:09:18 AM »
We joined last year with the hope of getting in a group this year. It looks like that is not a possibility based on this, is that correct? I am still new and wasn't sure if I was supposed to find a group earlier this year.

Correct. Right now they aren't making new groups or accepting new group members.

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2019, 09:13:07 AM »
To reiterate, we are not adding new members to buying groups for 2020.  We will decide about 2021 sometime after SDCC2020 is over.

Be sure you are checking in regularly on the site.  In the past the addition of new buying group members has taken place WELL before the sales happen.  We like to plan ahead here!!  Groups will definitely not be adding new members the week before the sale.

Offline Catechie

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2019, 09:44:54 AM »
Question: I've been checking since the last year. I didn't see a post for accepting new members, are we supposed to ask and hope someone picks us up? I don't really understand this process for being picked for a group.
To reiterate, we are not adding new members to buying groups for 2020.  We will decide about 2021 sometime after SDCC2020 is over.

Be sure you are checking in regularly on the site.  In the past the addition of new buying group members has taken place WELL before the sales happen.  We like to plan ahead here!!  Groups will definitely not be adding new members the week before the sale.

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2019, 09:57:10 AM »
Question: I've been checking since the last year. I didn't see a post for accepting new members, are we supposed to ask and hope someone picks us up? I don't really understand this process for being picked for a group.

For the 2020 sales it was announced a while back (early September??) that we wouldn't be adding new members.  So be sure to check in regularly in August and September next year to see what we are doing for 2021.  If we are accepting new members there will be a post that you can reply to to indicate your interest. 

Good luck to all on Saturday!

Offline Catechie

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2019, 09:59:05 AM »
Thanks for the clarification. Sounds like it was closed off early. Yes I did check this year, that's why I was curious.
For the 2020 sales it was announced a while back (early September??) that we wouldn't be adding new members.  So be sure to check in regularly in August and September next year to see what we are doing for 2021.  If we are accepting new members there will be a post that you can reply to to indicate your interest. 

Good luck to all on Saturday!

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2019, 10:44:15 AM »
Unfortunately, our technological limitations had us scrambling this year to accommodate all current members, which is why we were not able to take on new members.

We are in need of people who are familiar with programming Google docs to help with our buying groups. If anyone is willing to take on the responsibility and has the skills, we would love to speak with you!

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 251
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2019, 03:41:32 PM »

Out of curiosity, how big are those groups? Do you have a range? I wonder how my private group compares in size.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2019, 03:50:07 PM »
Out of curiosity, how big are those groups? Do you have a range? I wonder how my private group compares in size.

They vary, depending how many people each group leader is comfortable taking. A couple are as small as 20, but most are in the 50-60+ range.

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2019, 10:02:19 PM »
Just curious, did these big groups have a lot of success in Returning Reg? I assume the actual number of people who still needs badges in these groups is much smaller?

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2019, 06:30:23 AM »
Just curious, did these big groups have a lot of success in Returning Reg? I assume the actual number of people who still needs badges in these groups is much smaller?

Yes, there are fewer people who need badges in open reg than in returning reg. But we have some people who weren't eligible for returning reg, or who didn't get everything they wanted in returning reg. And since it's more difficult to get in and buy in open reg, this balance works out for buying groups.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2019, 11:07:04 AM »
I was a little shocked at how well our group did, actually.  I think this was year 3 of me being in the buying group (after spending that previous Comic-Con in the line-up group getting to know folks).  I think everyone in our group got at least one day, and I want to say that if people only got one day it was because they didn't want Sunday (because they were flying back home).  I'm in a fairly large group, 50+ IIRC, and there were a LOT of 4-day recipients (myself included)!