Author Topic: 2011 Hotel Prices & Shuttle route info  (Read 25242 times)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
Re: 2011 Hotel Prices & Shuttle route info
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2012, 07:05:32 AM »
if you are lucky enough to get one of those hotels the distance won't really matter.
i a lot of people want to get the HR....
but use the maps.google.com  street view to get a good idea of the distance; this is the con's address,
San Diego Convention Center, 111 West Harbor Drive, San Diego, CA 92101
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2012, 08:40:34 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hi, first timer here. Question about the hotels..is there more than one entrance to the con? Is it best to be on the Marriott side or Hilton Bayside or across the street at the other Hilton or Hard Rock? I would like to be within walking distance but the center looks HUGE, so I'm not sure where the best place to be is...or if it matters.
Check this post for a reference map of hotels near/around the convention center:
(broken link)
You can Google the name of the hotel once you figure out where it is on the reference map.  Hope that helps!

Either way, all of the hotels you listed are generally very good locations.  (Personally, I prefer the Marriott over the Hilton. My experience with the Marriott and Hilton Hotels tell me that the Marriott rooms are slightly larger--not sure if this is the case at this particular location, but that's the general impression I get from their hotel rooms near the Anaheim and Los Angeles Convention Centers, ha ha.) Just in case, it's good to be prepared with a backup plan.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 05:54:51 PM by alyssa »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 11:57:25 AM »

Offline ForeverStarGazer

• Sails Pavilion
  • Wibbly wobbly timey wimey
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2012, 11:28:25 AM »
Hello! I'm staying at the Best Western Yacht Harbor Hotel, which wasn't on the list for shuttles from last year, and I was wondering if you're allowed to use another hotel's shuttle to the con if there isn't one provided? It's probably a stupid question, but I just want to be sure.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2012, 11:32:55 AM »
i have heard they don't check badges when a person get's on the shuttles-
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline ForeverStarGazer

• Sails Pavilion
  • Wibbly wobbly timey wimey
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2012, 11:39:36 AM »
Ah, I see. Fantastic! Thank you  :D

Offline Trev

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 33
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2012, 12:42:04 PM »
i have heard they don't check badges when a person get's on the shuttles-

Someone mentioned that this policy might be changing this year now that they are running shuttles 24 hrs a day. Make sure to keep an eye out.

Offline tashpalo

• Sails Pavilion
    • Codename Tash
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2012, 04:10:47 PM »
Thanks guys. I guess the peeps I'm going with really want to be as near "Hall H" as possible. Guess that means Hilton Bayside.

Offline Bert Su

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 73
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2012, 08:53:01 PM »
Wow, the big name hotel like Hilton are expensive. Is it possible to do partial pay for a hotel?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to my YouTube channel for Transformers reviews

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2012, 09:02:35 PM »
you mean split the payments between two CC's?

Offline Bert Su

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 73
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2012, 04:21:21 PM »
I mean could I reserve a hotel and put some money down, then pay the rest when I go to the hotel.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to my YouTube channel for Transformers reviews

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2012, 04:57:59 PM »
The 2012 hotel list is up, as well as the reservation information. You have to pay 2 nights when you book, then the rest of your stay when you check out of the hotel.

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2012, 02:41:41 AM »
I mean could I reserve a hotel and put some money down, then pay the rest when I go to the hotel.
The 2012 hotel list is up, as well as the reservation information. You have to pay 2 nights when you book, then the rest of your stay when you check out of the hotel.
In my experience, it actually depends on the hotel's payment policies. 

The CCI 2012 Hotel Guide (pdf) states: "Each hotel’s payment policies vary; the date that your total balance is due will be dependent upon the policies of your hotel. Most hotels place a deposit on your credit card when you check in and charge the balance on check out. Please ask your hotel for their policy."

I've summarized some general hotel payment info (not on the CCI website):
Note that there are differences if you pay with a debit card versus a credit card for a hotel room. With a debit card, the hotel may charge you a deposit for your reservation--mainly to "hold" the money there in the chance that you unexpectedly cancel the room or don't pay the invoice, or to "hold" the money to clear it as a valid form of payment (called a "pre-authorization"). As such, some hotels will accept a debit card but, at check-in, will withdraw a fully refundable amount per day to cover incidentals, such as the mini-bar or pay-per-view movies.

That's why there's a "deposit" at certain hotels--however, it's not really a "deposit." It's more like a way to check your payment funds associated with the debit card, i.e. making sure you have enough money to cover the reservations. Even more hotels will accept cash along with checking account information, so you can also ask the hotel about using cash for the "hold" on your debit card.

With credit cards, it's like this: the hotel pulls that amount from your "Available Limit" immediately, so there's no waiting period and thus no "holds." (Of course, that's how it is when you pay for anything with your credit card.)

Hope that helps! ^-^ Again, check with the hotel you plan on staying at for their payment policies.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...