Author Topic: Hotel Review Google doc development  (Read 5257 times)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
Re: Hotel Review Google doc development
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2015, 12:28:04 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The problem I see is that cells will get big with multiple reviews of the same hotel even with url shorteners.  Maybe make a cell saying see other sheet for comments/reviews.  Or make a single thread for each hotel comments/reviews and link that in the spreadsheet so its a single link. 

That can be over come by making a locked thread just for consolidated reviews.
The moderator of the hotel area would be in charge of keeping the locked hotel thread current.

I have to say I'm not a fan of too much info in the Google doc. It becomes cluttered and unmanagible to read

edited for typos
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 04:17:59 PM by alyssa »
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2015, 01:07:59 PM »
Alyssa, so should we start a new topic under Comic-Con International just for hotel info and reviews?  I'd think we'd still want to keep Housing, Transportation, Parking (I think that's the title) separate for roommate and trade threads.  What do you think?  And you need to be the one to start the new topic, right? Or another moderator...

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #47 on: Today at 07:12:51 AM »

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2015, 01:48:31 PM »
General Disclaimer:
Before any confusion occurs, the global moderators and administrators, including myself, are in discussion about some of the ideas addressed in this thread.  Please respectfully note that changes to the overall "index" or "main" page of the forums are not taken lightly, especially considering the plans for the forums as we go forward (for example, content on the front page and type of message and tone we want to represent to convention organizers, online media, and the like).  There are many factors that go into the overall scheme of moderating, administering, and maintaining a community like ours, and please remember that we all volunteer our free time outside of work, family, friends, and even school to help with the forums.

Thank you!  ^__^d
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 01:52:47 PM by Zero »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2015, 03:24:15 PM »
General Disclaimer:
Before any confusion occurs, the global moderators and administrators, including myself, are in discussion about some of the ideas addressed in this thread.  Please respectfully note that changes to the overall "index" or "main" page of the forums are not taken lightly, especially considering the plans for the forums as we go forward (for example, content on the front page and type of message and tone we want to represent to convention organizers, online media, and the like).  There are many factors that go into the overall scheme of moderating, administering, and maintaining a community like ours, and please remember that we all volunteer our free time outside of work, family, friends, and even school to help with the forums.

Thank you!  ^__^d

Of course!  Many thanks for all your volunteer time to all the moderators and administrators! 

At this point I'll hold off on doing anything more on this, and once the plans for the forum come together I'm happy to help with whatever is needed.

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2015, 03:30:07 PM »
Of course!  Many thanks for all your volunteer time to all the moderators and administrators! 

At this point I'll hold off on doing anything more on this, and once the plans for the forum come together I'm happy to help with whatever is needed.

The sentiments are truly appreciated, TardisMom!  ^__^  Thank you for your thank you!

Regardless of the outcome of our global moderator and administrator discussions, we do consider all aspects, including forum member input from this thread and the actual logistics of maintaining the hotel reviews, in our decision.  ^__^d
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 03:34:27 PM by Zero »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline newbie12

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 91
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2015, 08:39:26 PM »
Wow, wow, and wow! I haven't been able to check in for a bit & the amount of work and discussion on this is tremendous and shows what an amazing group this is.
Let me throw out why I was mulling a spreadsheet rather than a designated thread or specific formatting within a  thread. The amount of information available can be overwhelming. When I am planning something I want to know specifics then if I need, move on to more broad information. For example, there are some things I have designated as 'must haves' for a hotel room, if they are not offered, I won't look further. It doesn't matter if the hotel is rated 5 out of 5 if it's doesn't have what I'm looking for.
The longer, detailed reviews are important and invaluable but a sheet w/ siimple columns with yes/no/unk allow us to decide if we want to read them at all. I was originally thinking something similar to the doc put out for TP hotels but with more info and a link to the single hotel review thread or individual threads so members can check out what other members wrote to find out details.

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2015, 10:08:04 PM »
Wow, wow, and wow! I haven't been able to check in for a bit & the amount of work and discussion on this is tremendous and shows what an amazing group this is.
Let me throw out why I was mulling a spreadsheet rather than a designated thread or specific formatting within a  thread. The amount of information available can be overwhelming. When I am planning something I want to know specifics then if I need, move on to more broad information. For example, there are some things I have designated as 'must haves' for a hotel room, if they are not offered, I won't look further. It doesn't matter if the hotel is rated 5 out of 5 if it's doesn't have what I'm looking for.
The longer, detailed reviews are important and invaluable but a sheet w/ siimple columns with yes/no/unk allow us to decide if we want to read them at all. I was originally thinking something similar to the doc put out for TP hotels but with more info and a link to the single hotel review thread or individual threads so members can check out what other members wrote to find out details.

The spreadsheet is a good idea, but I have also agreed that the information provided on the spreadsheet should be simple and streamlined.  In this case, "less is more," so the global moderators and administrators, including myself, completely understand where you're coming from on that end.  It doesn't have to be complicated to be a valuable resource for the forum community and its members.  ^__^d

I had originally envisioned it a similar way as well.  However, as I mentioned before, the main moderating team is in discussions about how to approach the topics discussed in this particular thread.  Regardless of the endpoint of our discussions, everyone's perspectives and ideas were taken into consideration, along with their pros and cons.

@Everyone: Thank you for the feedback and ideas that you have all provided so far!