Author Topic: Traveling by air? TSA- Pre Check  (Read 11839 times)

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
  • Liked: 1750
Re: Traveling by air? TSA- Pre Check
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2016, 08:48:12 AM »
For reference
I  use You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login as a source for information on Travel and on their forum there is plenty of info and commentary on both programs.

@alyssa et al - applying for Global Entry is online the interview and fingerprinting is done at the airport. You can schedule a date and time that is convenient when you get to that stage.

TSA precheck has more accessible locations by far.

Since I live 25 minutes from a major airport the decision for me was easier and I do travel internationally from time to time.

The in-person sessions/interviews are quick in both cases. Global Entry I was done in 20 minutes. I got Precheck for my wife and we were done in 30 minutes.
Time and Relative Dimension in Space - 'TARDIS' for short

Editor-in-Chief of the FoCC Blog

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2016, 08:55:26 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
my only difficulty is figuring out how to cancel an appointment i made by mistake

I believe there is a phone number you can call. But yeah, I had difficulty canceling/changing appointments online as well. The system is not user-friendly.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 04:24:15 PM »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2016, 08:55:53 AM »
[member=1]alyssa[/member] et al - applying for Global Entry is online the interview and fingerprinting is done at the airport. You can schedule a date and time that is convenient when you get to that stage. 

i would totally do GE if i could get an interview/fingerprint appt/walk-in in Portland ME.  I just can't do Boston- I won't be going down to Boston until Aug.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline hipchick

• Supporter
  • Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 156
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2016, 09:04:14 AM »
I travel a lot for work and got TSA PreCheck earlier this year. It is a total game changer. My husband got his appointment for a month from now so he doesn't have to wait in lines. Both times I used it there was small line at tsa pre check it it only took about 5 mins to get through and was infinitely faster than the regular tsa line. Completely worth it!

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2016, 09:09:03 AM »
Locations and time to get there is the tough choice. If there is patience and you can plan it for August or even during NYCC then it might pay off in the long run.

Here is a good example of what happened to me last year while leaving SDCC. mllNY and I were traveling home last year. I sailed through the screening and had to wait 15 minutes for him to get through. During my wait I ran into David Bradley after he passed through screening and he was nice enough to sign my TARDIS notebook and take a picture with me.

Benefits and perks....

Offline escape

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 27
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2016, 10:24:41 AM »
yeah but it requires an interview which only seems to be available in major cities. if any one is interested in one of these, check available interview locations.

It's less an interview as they go over the rules and fingerprint you.  It took about 10 minutes and I did it in Houston when I flew through there.  I don't have one closer than 2.5 hours from me, so I scheduled one during work travel.  It worked fine for me.   Can't hurt to call and see about walk ins... you have to pass your security clearance online first, though.

And yes, it's 5 years also.

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2016, 11:12:36 AM »
I'm not flying as much as I used to (only about twice per year), but I'm definitely noting this for the future and I'm going to tell my parents about it, especially my dad and stepmum. My dad now is sent around the country to do consulting at power plants for potential safety issues etc. so when he is in a particular city for an extended time (sometimes a month or longer) he and my stepmum fly back and forth quite a bit. I'll have to see if they know about this.
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2016, 11:39:58 AM »
It's less an interview as they go over the rules and fingerprint you.  It took about 10 minutes and I did it in Houston when I flew through there.  I don't have one closer than 2.5 hours from me, so I scheduled one during work travel.  It worked fine for me.   Can't hurt to call and see about walk ins... you have to pass your security clearance online first, though.

And yes, it's 5 years also.
interesting, i hadn't thought to do it during my trip out to SDCC
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline escape

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2016, 11:48:42 AM »
interesting, i hadn't thought to do it during my trip out to SDCC

If you have a long enough layover in a city that has an office, it's super easy.  Best thing I've ever done.  SERIOUSLY.

Offline dunkaroos

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 22
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2016, 03:10:32 PM »
As others have said, you don't have to do a GE interview at your "home" or closest airport, you can do it at any airport you are visiting or passing through. If the GE interviews are all booked up when you want them, keep checking the site every morning - there are a lot of cancellations and you can find a sooner time (worked for me). Also, once you get your post-interview email that you were approved, you can start using GE - it's tied to your passport and KTR. They mail you an ID card but you don't need it.

GE not only lets you skip the immigration line upon returning to the US but also gives you front of the line privileges if you have something to be inspected at customs, which was great when I needed to go through agricultural inspection at JFK a few months ago.

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2016, 05:59:37 AM »
Another perk is that children traveling with you who are under age are under your pre check status so when traveling this helps saves time as well.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2016, 06:23:54 AM »
That doesn't help when your youngest just turned 13....  :(

But I did get TSA Pre for both of my kids last fall. Conveniently, it lasts as long as their passports.

Offline Ghost6

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 64
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2016, 08:31:57 PM »
Alyssa-Thanks so much for the reminder and link.  I have seen some terrible lines lately and I would love to eliminate as many headaches as I can.  Scheduled my appointment here in orlando...only 3 miles away but I have to wait 3 weeks for an appointment.  Another great tip from focc!

Offline MyNameIsRinoa

• Freebie Table
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2016, 06:54:20 AM »
To all who are considering TSA Pre-Check, make sure that when you buy tickets, the airline is a participant of the program. For example, Spirit does NOT participate.

Also, if you are flying first class (as if most of us still have money left after the hotel fees, vendor allowances, etc), that you do not need to go through regular security line. However, unlike with TSA Pre-Check, you will still need to take your shoes off and laptops out.

Also, don't roll the socks around your ankles unless you want to get patted by the TSA Agent. Rolled socks set off their monitors.

Offline Bert Su

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 73
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2016, 10:04:47 PM »
Before getting through airport security, I would leave all self defense items at home ie pepper spray, batarangs, tasers. Then make sure all cosplay weapons are shown to be safe and not hazardous
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to my YouTube channel for Transformers reviews