Author Topic: Useful items to take to SDCC  (Read 153962 times)

Offline Emerald_Mom

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 234
Re: Useful items to take to SDCC
« Reply #465 on: April 03, 2019, 02:39:27 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
When you get it, make sure that you practice putting it together and breaking it down. (HINT: Examine it carefully before you unwrap it the first time!)  While usually you can take a bit of time to put it together, sometimes at SDCC lines start moving suddenly and you have to pack up QUICKLY. You don't want to be sitting there for 5 minutes putting your chair away. There is definitely a knack to breaking down the Helinox chairs quickly.
It is also a good thing to put it together a couple times before SDCC... it takes a bit of effort for the 1st few times and it is good get the knack of setting up as well as breaking it down.
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”
― Dr. Seuss

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #466 on: April 03, 2019, 07:58:29 PM »
Plenty of hand sanitizer.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #467 on: Today at 12:46:58 PM »

Offline vegasndn

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 160
« Reply #467 on: April 11, 2019, 04:57:40 AM »
Snacks, water, breath mints and cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #468 on: April 11, 2019, 05:57:30 AM »
Cash...lots, and lots, of cash...
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline Lavendar

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 71
« Reply #469 on: April 19, 2019, 04:34:32 PM »
Last year on a whim I tossed a small umbrella into my bag, and boy, did I use it! Sitting in my Helinox chair in a line with the umbrella to shade me from the sun awas a life-saver!

And yes, the power brick is useful too! Keeps my devices charged all day, and I can share it with friends!

I picked up a UV coated umbrella, don't even feel the heat

Offline Jangos1

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 54
« Reply #470 on: April 30, 2019, 11:59:24 PM »
I used one of those cheap, cooling scarves/towels that you soak with water and wear around your neck.  I was surprised how effective it was in the heat. 

Great and informative thread.  Thank you, everyone. 

Offline raedioactive

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #471 on: June 02, 2019, 01:17:31 AM »
For someone a few pages back who was asking about solutions to keep your cell phone handy yet secure: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I carry mine to work around my job site, as well as concerts and nightclubs, and it's the BEST, especially if you don't have pockets. They have a lot of purse-esque strap options, but also some wide nylon straps that are more nondescript and less flashy if that's what you want.

Offline Namron83

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 19
« Reply #472 on: June 18, 2019, 01:08:59 PM »
Lysol disinfectant spray..... Not for you, but the bed/sheets at your hotel especially if you're staying at a hostel.

Offline kihou

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 73
« Reply #473 on: June 19, 2019, 10:06:22 AM »
This may have been mentioned before, but I always bring a handful of rubber bands, some paper clips, and a sharpie.  I made some pals at the LAIKA exhibit when they handed out posters for people and I was able to share rubber bands for people to hold them :)  and a sharpie for if you bump into someone famous on the floor!

Offline comicconfamily

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Instagram: @ComicConFamily
    • Comic Con Family
  • Liked: 160
« Reply #474 on: June 23, 2019, 11:41:04 AM »
Last year on a whim I tossed a small umbrella into my bag, and boy, did I use it!

YES...umbrellas!! Especially if you are going to be waiting in lines outside. We didn't think this through in 2017 and it was the first time that we dedicated nearly a whole day (16 hrs) to wait in the Hall H line. We had no umbrella and it was sooo hot. Someone nearby took pity on us and allowed us to borrow their umbrella and it made a HUGE difference.

Pre-umbrella (draping our heads with a black cardigan I had) and a post-umbrella shots!

SDCC 2011 - 2022
WonderCon 2017 - 2022

Offline Emerald_Mom

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 234
« Reply #475 on: June 23, 2019, 12:09:19 PM »
My son gave me a comic con backpack for my birthday... one of the things in it was an umbrella that had a uv lining.... it is awesome!
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”
― Dr. Seuss

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #476 on: June 23, 2019, 01:28:05 PM »
This may have been mentioned before, but I always bring a handful of rubber bands, some paper clips, and a sharpie.  I made some pals at the LAIKA exhibit when they handed out posters for people and I was able to share rubber bands for people to hold them :)  and a sharpie for if you bump into someone famous on the floor!

Rubber bands are key, and you bring up a good point. Bring extra since you will end up giving some away, you never know when you will walk by a sweet poster giveaway :) I would also add a few safety pins and some small binder clips.

Offline takit0

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 92
« Reply #477 on: April 16, 2022, 09:34:52 PM »
As I try to prepare for myself about things I might need to repurchase in preparation for SDCC, I noticed that compression socks were only recommended once in this thread (I could be wrong)… but I cannot stress how crucial they are and I only wish I started using them earlier.
2023: SDCC & Fantastic Fest
2024: ...

Offline RustyPonds

• Gaming Lounge
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 263
« Reply #478 on: April 17, 2022, 10:04:12 PM »
As I try to prepare for myself about things I might need to repurchase in preparation for SDCC, I noticed that compression socks were only recommended once in this thread (I could be wrong)… but I cannot stress how crucial they are and I only wish I started using them earlier.

This is the way.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #479 on: April 18, 2022, 08:05:38 AM »
If I’m waiting in line in the sun, I try to have cooling towels - the kind you can put water on and they get cold. They’re very helpful to feel better in the heat.

I got one of those compact sun umbrellas a few years ago, and it was a godsend waiting in lines in the Gaslamp for offsites. I lent it to my husband one morning and he told me that it 'saved' him. So I got him one for Christmas in 2019, telling him that he could use it at SDCC 2020... well, we're hoping that both of our sun umbrellas get lots of use this year. ;)