Author Topic: Random Chat  (Read 116752 times)

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
Re: Random Chat
« Reply #270 on: July 12, 2017, 07:12:14 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Came across some notes my wife was making about our upcoming trip to Iceland (highlighting is mine)

I am such a lucky man.

That funny.  :)

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #271 on: July 21, 2017, 07:57:35 PM »
sdconventionctr We enjoyed giving community leaders - including elected officials, staff members and business associates- a #behindthescenes tour of #sdcc2017, during the quiet hours just before the show opened. @comic_con will generate an estimated $143M in economic impact to @thecityofsandiego and the region.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #272 on: Today at 02:51:21 AM »

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #272 on: August 01, 2017, 09:27:19 PM »

Robert Heinlein and Arthur C. Clarke interview with Walter Cronkite many years ago!

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #273 on: August 01, 2017, 09:35:05 PM »
Came across some notes my wife was making about our upcoming trip to Iceland (highlighting is mine)

I am such a lucky man.

Still loving this.  Best bucket list ever.

By the way, I vote Game of Thrones first, but make time for Walter Mitty.

Offline brand4d2

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 291
« Reply #274 on: August 01, 2017, 10:06:29 PM »
I'm growing concerned amidst swirling rumors that in the comics, Thor/Jane Foster may not survive her stage 4 cancer...to that end, I'm going to start the "If Jane dies, we riot" movement!   

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #275 on: August 02, 2017, 07:22:29 AM »
I'm growing concerned amidst swirling rumors that in the comics, Thor/Jane Foster may not survive her stage 4 cancer...to that end, I'm going to start the "If Jane dies, we riot" movement!

That sounds like something I would do.  :)

Offline brand4d2

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #276 on: August 02, 2017, 10:11:53 PM »
Fandom bashing/mocking is something that might come from muggles but non muggles as well?   Back at SDCC, I overheard someone remark rather condescendingly "people are still into My Little Pony?????".   

I chose to walk away and not listen to the rest of the conversation but what I wanted to tell them was that "Why yes, and it's so successful for Hasbro that they have a movie coming in a few months with guest stars you might have heard of...Emily Blunt, Kristen Chenowith, Zoe Saldana, Liev Schreiber, Michael Pena...The tv show is going very strong too...it's the most relentlessly optimistic show on the air and inspires us to build a better world and also has had superb guest stars whom you may have heard of...Felicia Day, Patton Oswalt, William Shatner".   

Of course, not everyone attending SDCC is going to be interested in everything featured there, that's just impossible, but I'm very taken aback that some would disparage fandoms that they're not a part of.   

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #277 on: August 03, 2017, 08:18:56 AM »
Fandom bashing/mocking is something that might come from muggles but non muggles as well?   Back at SDCC, I overheard someone remark rather condescendingly "people are still into My Little Pony?????".   

I chose to walk away and not listen to the rest of the conversation but what I wanted to tell them was that "Why yes, and it's so successful for Hasbro that they have a movie coming in a few months with guest stars you might have heard of...Emily Blunt, Kristen Chenowith, Zoe Saldana, Liev Schreiber, Michael Pena...The tv show is going very strong too...it's the most relentlessly optimistic show on the air and inspires us to build a better world and also has had superb guest stars whom you may have heard of...Felicia Day, Patton Oswalt, William Shatner".   

Of course, not everyone attending SDCC is going to be interested in everything featured there, that's just impossible, but I'm very taken aback that some would disparage fandoms that they're not a part of.

This always bothered me when Twilight was there.  A lot of people bashing it and bashing people for being into it.  For some reason people think it is cool to hate on people for liking popular things.

I say like what you want!  The haters are gone hate.   

2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #278 on: August 03, 2017, 08:21:54 AM »
I would agree. Just because it's not what you're into doesn't mean it's bad. I think all of us have been on the wrong end of disparaging comments. We should be more considerate as fans.

And FWIW, while I wasn't impressed by the Twilight movies, I did enjoy the books (particularly the first one) as romance novels, which is how they were intended. And my kids both went through a MLP phase (and have a fondness for it now,although my son is embarrassed to mention it any longer).

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #279 on: August 03, 2017, 10:42:11 AM »
Full disclosure: I read all 4 Twilight books and I think they are horrible.

However, I'd never even heard of Twilight the first time I encountered fans of the series. It was in line for Hall H whatever year Twilight was there first, and I was basically surrounded by Twilight fans. I found them mostly awful even then. They were all super excited, which was great, but they were also all talking about how they were the greatest most dedicated passionate fans of anything ever and nothing else had never come close. (Which I found... uniformed and annoying, to say the least.)

Then, during their panel (which I had to sit through for whatever I was waiting for), they screamed and sighed over every. single. answer. It was the most irritating panel I'd ever sat through.

I don't fault anyone for being a passionate fan of anything, but I do believe the ways in which many if not most Twilight fans expressed their fandom were obnoxious.

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #280 on: August 03, 2017, 08:42:53 PM »
Twihards are a different breed.  There are still people out there thinking Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson are secretly married and parents together.  Some "fans" take things too far.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #281 on: August 03, 2017, 08:58:57 PM »
My opinion is that people like to bash on other people's interests.  No idea why they do it, but they do.

One of my favorite things is seeing someone have a nerdgasm over finding a [whatever it may be] that they have been looking for whether or not I like what they found.

But I'm weird.

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
  • Liked: 1750
« Reply #282 on: August 03, 2017, 08:59:43 PM »
Wait.... they aren't married????? My ultimate ship has been demolished. Rotfl... just kidding.
Time and Relative Dimension in Space - 'TARDIS' for short

Editor-in-Chief of the FoCC Blog

Offline brand4d2

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #283 on: August 03, 2017, 09:56:17 PM »
I would agree. Just because it's not what you're into doesn't mean it's bad. I think all of us have been on the wrong end of disparaging comments. We should be more considerate as fans.

And FWIW, while I wasn't impressed by the Twilight movies, I did enjoy the books (particularly the first one) as romance novels, which is how they were intended. And my kids both went through a MLP phase (and have a fondness for it now,although my son is embarrassed to mention it any longer).

Awww, your son shouldn't be embarrassed at all!   In addition to all the positives I mentioned about the show, they have a lot of fun references - the season premiere had a Weeping Angel as well as a Predator handshake scene.   Also, a few seasons ago, there was an episode entitled "Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep" which many of us will recognize as a nod to "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" which many of us know is the basis for some movie called Blade Runner.   

From my experience in the Disney fandom, it seems a lot of people are extremely possessive and protective of the things they like and if they feel it could be taken away or deemphasized or no longer relevant, they may tend to lash out towards whatever the new kid on the block is.   Currently there's a faction of Disney fans that are vehemently opposed to anything of Marvel and Star Wars  ???

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #284 on: August 04, 2017, 08:53:47 AM »
Awww, your son shouldn't be embarrassed at all!   In addition to all the positives I mentioned about the show, they have a lot of fun references - the season premiere had a Weeping Angel as well as a Predator handshake scene. 

Okay, now my daughter is asking which episode number this was....?