Author Topic: Poll: The Status of SDCC 2021 (In Light of the Pandemic)  (Read 24346 times)

Online sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
Re: Poll: The Status of SDCC 2021 (In Light of the Pandemic)
« Reply #210 on: March 01, 2021, 03:57:44 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I am thinking they will charge enough of a price to attend the November event to raise some money.

Maybe...

However the statement below implies a 2021 badge holder can use that for the November event.  If that's the case, they won't be getting more money from the November event.

"In addition, we are currently working on an option for those wishing to transfer their badge or exhibitor deposits/payments as full or partial payment towards our 2021 November event"
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 591
« Reply #211 on: March 01, 2021, 04:13:33 PM »
Maybe...

However the statement below implies a 2021 badge holder can use that for the November event.  If that's the case, they won't be getting more money from the November event.

"In addition, we are currently working on an option for those wishing to transfer their badge or exhibitor deposits/payments as full or partial payment towards our 2021 November event"
I may have misinterpreted it, but when I first read that I thought that it meant that this was an option for exhibitors. I didn’t think it extended to the general badge holder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #212 on: Today at 04:37:59 PM »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #212 on: March 01, 2021, 06:39:50 PM »
I may have misinterpreted it, but when I first read that I thought that it meant that this was an option for exhibitors. I didn’t think it extended to the general badge holder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Also, I read that as maybe an 'either/or' type thing.  As in, "we're looking at an option to swap July 2021 badge for Nov. 2021 badge."  I'm not sure of what person would prefer to apply SDCCI badge to a smaller Nov. badge at the expense of 2022 SDCCI, but maybe if someone needs a refund but also 'needs' a Con fix, this could be an option.

Hard telling...

If the November in-person event is possibly going to be limited to 7,000 people as the convention center schedule seems to indicate for an event on Nov 19-21 - the last time San Diego Comic-con was that small was in 1988 with 8,000 attendees at the old downtown convention center.
I sincerely wouldn't put a lot of stock in that # at this time; that's roughly 5% (more than 5%, less than 6%) of the recorded SD Convention Center capacity (125k), so that could be 'all' they were able to officially book at this time due to current county COVID capacity limits.  A LOT can/will change over the next 8.5 months that will likely significantly change that capacity limit for in-person, indoor events.

Offline omraged9

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 242
« Reply #213 on: March 01, 2021, 07:30:35 PM »
It's interesting news about a potential November convention. If I had to take a guess, perhaps this is their attempt at a smaller hybrid con. I expect very few, if any, celebrities to show up. There might be some TV/movie panels that will be shown on the screens in the bigger halls with enough space to allow social distancing. They'll probably have to limit the crowds in the exhibit hall. If they are going to hold a smaller hybrid con, I'm glad that they're not asking the attendees to use their entire 2020 badge fees for a smaller con.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #214 on: March 01, 2021, 09:01:36 PM »

That's how I read it.  They talked about individuals first then they talked about exhibitors.  That option seems to apply to the exhibitors.

I don't see why anyone would trade their comic-con badge for this event.  This event will not be comic-con.  If it were, then comic-con wouldn't be virtual in July.  They would just postpone it to this event.  I think it's obvious that this will be a smaller event.  There will not be the stars and spectacle to justify paying as much for it as comic-con.  Just look at Wondercon pricing.  That's still an impressive con but the prices are much lower than comic-con.  Trading comic-con passes for a smaller con doesn't make sense.

Online darqamin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 179
« Reply #215 on: March 01, 2021, 09:33:44 PM »
and the poll is locked

Glad it was locked - makes the poll accurate as a snapshot of what people thought before the decision was released  :)

Online sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
« Reply #216 on: March 02, 2021, 05:50:32 AM »
That's how I read it.  They talked about individuals first then they talked about exhibitors.  That option seems to apply to the exhibitors.

I don't see why anyone would trade their comic-con badge for this event.  This event will not be comic-con.  If it were, then comic-con wouldn't be virtual in July.  They would just postpone it to this event.  I think it's obvious that this will be a smaller event.  There will not be the stars and spectacle to justify paying as much for it as comic-con.  Just look at Wondercon pricing.  That's still an impressive con but the prices are much lower than comic-con.  Trading comic-con passes for a smaller con doesn't make sense.
Depends on why you go to Comic-Con.  I don't go for the stars.  I go for the smaller panels and the atmosphere of being around my peeps, even if it is a smaller group.  I don't have any illusion that the November event will be as magnificent as the ultimate one in July.  If they pull it off, I'll check it out just to get back into some of that atmosphere.

The November event may also be a nod to the town of San Diego and the hotels and restaurants.  Granted, it won't be as a big, but it will be a help to their economy.  I'm ok with that.
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #217 on: March 02, 2021, 08:47:27 AM »

What if someone got 'only' a Sunday badge for 2020 Comic-Con (then 2021, now 2022).  Maybe it would make more sense for them to trade in that Sunday-only badge towards (or for depending on price) a full weekend's pass for the November thing. 
While I would agree with you in my personal situation (as a Pro I have 4-Day +PN w/out having to deal with the random sales stuff), my situation may be very different from others

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #218 on: March 02, 2021, 08:50:36 AM »
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. If you only have a one-day badge it might make sense to trade it, depending on finances, travel, etc. It's nice that they extend the option at least.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline madfly

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 140
« Reply #219 on: March 02, 2021, 09:30:42 AM »
I booked just in case, LOL. Hilton Bayfront is a steal.

Other people must have had the same idea....Hilton Bayfront is sold out that weekend ;)

Offline RSilvaConFan

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 88
« Reply #220 on: March 02, 2021, 09:34:45 AM »
Other people must have had the same idea....Hilton Bayfront is sold out that weekend ;)

There are also two other small conventions scheduled in the convention center that weekend.

Online sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
« Reply #221 on: March 02, 2021, 09:52:39 AM »
There are also two other small conventions scheduled in the convention center that weekend.
Crazy thought...

What if CCI picks dates during the week.    :)
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline madfly

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 140
« Reply #222 on: March 02, 2021, 09:57:01 AM »
Crazy thought...

What if CCI picks dates during the week.    :)

Ugh...could be and that would suck!

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #223 on: March 02, 2021, 10:08:01 AM »
I wouldn’t necessarily read much into the November 19-21 “Convention With Trade Show” being SDCC’s event. There are multiple other “Convention with Trade Shows” of similar sizes listed in surrounding months so that description alone does not make me think SDCC (the bigger giveaway when that description was used in July was the estimated attendance of 135,000.). I also think the November event will be bigger than 7000 (although 7000 is still within the realm of possibility.)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 10:14:51 AM by hikanteki »
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #224 on: March 02, 2021, 10:27:09 AM »
What if someone got 'only' a Sunday badge for 2020 Comic-Con (then 2021, now 2022).  Maybe it would make more sense for them to trade in that Sunday-only badge towards (or for depending on price) a full weekend's pass for the November thing. 
While I would agree with you in my personal situation (as a Pro I have 4-Day +PN w/out having to deal with the random sales stuff), my situation may be very different from others

Possible, but that would complicate it.  What if someone wanted to trade a 4 day?  A badge day would then have to some value and then CCI would have to be able to make change.

Also if you trade in your comic-con badge, even just a Sunday, would that mean you would lose returning registration?  Since you are giving up your comic-con badge, I don't see why it wouldn't.  It's just like you asked for a refund.  Return registration has intangible value.