Author Topic: What are your SDCC Panel Gems?  (Read 3668 times)

Offline tsnyder

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 295
What are your SDCC Panel Gems?
« on: March 22, 2019, 12:28:14 PM »
This year will be my 6th SDCC and I'm looking for your suggestions.  I am very familiar with the usual Hall H lineup as I spend the majority of my time in there and absolutely love it.  Based off of recommendations here I did venture out last year and checked out The Great Debate Panel and had a great time.

What are some more of your can't miss panels you highly recommend to friends?

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
Re: What are your SDCC Panel Gems?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 12:44:30 PM »
Not necessarily 'can't miss', but if you can make it, the Quick Draw panels are always fun! Best of all, you can just walk in a few minutes before it begins.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 01:53:29 AM »

Offline Virgo911

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 102
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 10:10:37 PM »
What's a Quick Draw panel?

Offline Thereisanother

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 34
What are your SDCC Panel Gems?
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 01:00:24 AM »
If someone likes comics, I would recommend a Jim Lee spotlight or how to panel. It’s just him answering questions while he draws, but he’s always entertaining  and it’s amazing to watch him work. At the end, he gives away whatever art he’s completed. Plus, it’s not hard to get into, probably not walk-in but depending on the schedule, maybe a panel before and you’re good.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
What's a Quick Draw panel?

The moderator sets up drawing games for a panel of cartoonists and the audience can see everything as they sketch. I’d describe it as rapid fire, part Mad Libs, part Improv but with drawing. It’s been a staple at SDCC and WonderCon for years and just a fun panel to watch.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 01:38:12 AM by Thereisanother »

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2019, 07:43:37 AM »
Sergio Aragones is always the star of Quick Draw, and he and 2 other cartoonists draw something on the spot. They are given a prompt (e.g. The Hulk as a used car salesman) and have to draw it in a limited amount of time. It’s always hilarious! Definitely worth attending if you can fit it into your schedule. They hold it at WonderCon too. Also a great panel for kids.

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2019, 08:09:14 AM »
I always enjoy Marvel's "Cup o' Joe" panel, where they allow anyone to come up and just ask questions of Marvel's Joe Q. (and panel) anythng related to Marvel and their properties.  Some interesting insight can come out of those panels at times.
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2019, 09:42:06 AM »
If someone likes comics, I would recommend a Jim Lee spotlight or how to panel. It’s just him answering questions while he draws, but he’s always entertaining  and it’s amazing to watch him work. At the end, he gives away whatever art he’s completed. Plus, it’s not hard to get into, probably not walk-in but depending on the schedule, maybe a panel before and you’re good.

I second this. I always make time to attend one of his panels (he usually has two). He’s very entertaining like you said, and he has a bit of that self deprecating and wry sense of humor. He does tell the same origin story every year, for the benefit of people who’ve never attended his panel, but he does mix it up and you do always learn a little something new about his career.

The only annoying thing is that, since it’s mostly Q&A the entire panel, you’ll always have 1-2 attendees make their “questions” about themselves to try to get themselves over with Jim. I put questions in quotes because sometimes there isn’t even a question. Just a sales pitch.

But overall, his panel is still a great time.

Offline tsnyder

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 295
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2019, 03:20:04 PM »
Thanks for the input. Did the Jim Lee panel when he came to Hawaii a few years ago and was same exact format. Was pretty cool to watch him work. I have heard great things about quick draw and keep putting it on my list but haven't made it yet.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2019, 01:47:38 PM »
Another one that sometimes happens is the Screen Junkies Movie Fights panel. They bring in pop culture experts who debate important questions such as 'Who has best played the Game of Thrones' or 'What is the best Spiderman movie?' Yep, both of those were in the WonderCon panel last Friday... ;)  It's always funny and enjoyable.

Offline Carlz

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2019, 09:03:32 PM »
Another one that sometimes happens is the Screen Junkies Movie Fights panel. They bring in pop culture experts who debate important questions such as 'Who has best played the Game of Thrones' or 'What is the best Spiderman movie?' Yep, both of those were in the WonderCon panel last Friday... ;)  It's always funny and enjoyable.
I would reccomend the Screen Junkies panel as well. A friend who hasn't been to SDCC before told me I should see it if I had time as she always watches them and it was so much fun!

Offline Kevin Rutan

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 360
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2019, 11:56:14 AM »
As Quick Draw has already been mentioned I will add a recommendation for Cartoon Voices. The end portion where the voice actors do a reading of a fairy tail is always hilarious.
Geology isn't a real science. -Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2019, 12:48:58 PM »
I second this. I always make time to attend one of his panels (he usually has two). He’s very entertaining like you said, and he has a bit of that self deprecating and wry sense of humor. He does tell the same origin story every year, for the benefit of people who’ve never attended his panel, but he does mix it up and you do always learn a little something new about his career.

The only annoying thing is that, since it’s mostly Q&A the entire panel, you’ll always have 1-2 attendees make their “questions” about themselves to try to get themselves over with Jim. I put questions in quotes because sometimes there isn’t even a question. Just a sales pitch.

But overall, his panel is still a great time.
He always has great panels.  If DC has their "Meet the Publishers" panel, with Jim and Dan DiDio I'd recommend checking it out.  They like to talk and tell stories, and they're always fun.  Jim and fun to hear talk, but Jim + Dan = two comic super nerds having fun with each other w/open mics

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2019, 01:38:19 PM »
The SyFy Great Debate has been great the last couple of years.  Particularly enjoy John Barrowman and Aisha Tyler argue about everything

For an international perspective, Bubble Comics is always unique.  I'm not sure if the guys will come this year (it's getting harder for them to come each year) but try to see their take on American pop culture from a Russian perspective

the Archer cast is ALWAYS fantastic. 

Offline Pyramid

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Comic Con is a Black Hole for my wallet.
  • Liked: 549
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2019, 08:39:20 PM »

The moderator sets up drawing games for a panel of cartoonists and the audience can see everything as they sketch. I’d describe it as rapid fire, part Mad Libs, part Improv but with drawing. It’s been a staple at SDCC and WonderCon for years and just a fun panel to watch.

Absolutely.  This panel is always on my list.  His Uncanny X-Men 277 got me hooked on comics.
Twitter feed:  wes@comicconster

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2019, 08:58:33 AM »
As Quick Draw has already been mentioned I will add a recommendation for Cartoon Voices. The end portion where the voice actors do a reading of a fairy tail is always hilarious.

Will add on to this, especially since one of the Cartoon Voice panels is always immediately after Quick Draw. This has been our must-see since our kids were little.