Author Topic: First timer looking for advice  (Read 4846 times)

Offline Purpleguinness

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 5
First timer looking for advice
« on: November 09, 2019, 07:11:01 AM »
Hey guys,  we are already booked up for San Diego for 2020 (flights, accommodation) and going to do our very best to get tickets in open registration next weekend.  We're coming across from Scotland especially for CCI

However, in the event of not getting tickets, I guess there will be lots going on around the city linked to CCI anyway?  We'll have our 13 year old son and 11 year old daughter so looking for any tips on things we should be looking out for, or if there are any other events that we would need to look at buying tickets in advance for etc

We're all particularly interested in Marvel so anything associated with marvel would be our bag

Any ideas /tips greatly appreciated

Thanks all 😉

Offline SynXack

• Gaming Lounge
  • Guru Meditation == 0x0
  • Liked: 205
Re: First timer looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 07:22:34 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hey guys,  we are already booked up for San Diego for 2020 (flights, accommodation) and going to do our very best to get tickets in open registration next weekend.  We're coming across from Scotland especially for CCI

However, in the event of not getting tickets, I guess there will be lots going on around the city linked to CCI anyway?  We'll have our 13 year old son and 11 year old daughter so looking for any tips on things we should be looking out for, or if there are any other events that we would need to look at buying tickets in advance for etc

We're all particularly interested in Marvel so anything associated with marvel would be our bag

Thanks all
Changes every year but always plenty going on. Follow You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login 's blog and youll be in the know.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

“If no mistake have you made, yet losing you are ... a different game you should play.”--Yoda

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 03:46:48 AM »

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 07:25:36 AM »
There will be tons of posts about different events, shows, etc. starting in May or so.  Just keep checking back!  Good luck in the badge sale next Saturday :)

Offline taka

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 172
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 10:41:46 AM »
there will be lots of offsites but they change each year, there's also the SDCC museum and not SDCC the Zoo which I havent tried myself but they say its amazing... dont know how many days you are staying but if you dont get badges maybe you could go for a couple days on san diego and then move to Anaheim for Disneyland :)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2019, 12:52:47 PM »
there will be lots of offsites but they change each year, there's also the SDCC museum and not SDCC the Zoo which I havent tried myself but they say its amazing... dont know how many days you are staying but if you dont get badges maybe you could go for a couple days on san diego and then move to Anaheim for Disneyland :)
Sometimes the Comic Book Art Gallery, at Liberty Station about 15 min. from the Convention Center, has had some amazing free events open to the public (i.e. no badge required).  The gallery is operated by IDW Comics, and is located on the ground floor of IDW's headquarters.

Of course, we also have LEGO Land up the freeway, the Safari Park about a 30 min. drive north of downtown (a kind of 'sister park' to the Zoo), Sea World about 15 minutes from downtown, and some other things.  The OP's children might be right int he sweet spot for LEGO Land & Sea World.

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2019, 06:05:51 AM »
Disney is also about a 90 min drive away...and that would be great even before the whole con kicks off!
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline FBS

• Fulfillment Room
    • http://www.marksearby.com/
  • Liked: 510
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2019, 06:42:23 AM »

Thanks all
Have you joined the UK attendees Facebook group?
I'd highly recommend it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline Purpleguinness

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2019, 10:08:40 AM »
Thanks everyone! Done great info.

We're in San Diego for the weekend of CC and then we have a week booked in LA including 3 nights in Anaheim so Disney and Universal are already on the itinerary! If we can get CC tickets it will be the icing on the cake as they say!

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Offline Purpleguinness

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2019, 10:12:22 AM »
Have you joined the UK attendees Facebook group?
I'd highly recommend it.

Do you know what the group is called? I've searched for comic con UK visitors but can't find it... Thanks

Offline FBS

• Fulfillment Room
    • http://www.marksearby.com/
  • Liked: 510
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2019, 01:22:36 PM »
Do you know what the group is called? I've searched for comic con UK visitors but can't find it... Thanks

SD Comic-Con: UK attendees group (the british invasion)

Offline Islander009

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 24
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2019, 08:01:38 AM »
In the case that no badges are attained there are tons of offsides for you and your family to enjoy!! Hard to say what they are now but closer to the Con we all will have more info on them. Keep following here and I am sure you will be updated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline taka

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 172
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2019, 01:20:53 PM »
Also, be aware that if you dont get badges but plan to attend San diego for the city/offsites you can participate on the hotel sale probably better know as Hotelpocalypse. So you dont have to book directly with the hotel.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2019, 09:52:11 AM »
Also, be aware that if you dont get badges but plan to attend San diego for the city/offsites you can participate on the hotel sale probably better know as Hotelpocalypse. So you dont have to book directly with the hotel.

Very true.  I met some people who do everything comic-con related except go to comic-con.  They take part in Hotelpocalypse to get a hotel and then only go to the offsites.  They've been doing it for years.

Offline Purpleguinness

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2019, 12:28:42 AM »
Thanks, but we've already got an apartment booked! Just hoping we can get tickets in the morning

Offline Purpleguinness

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2019, 12:29:45 AM »
In the case that no badges are attained there are tons of offsides for you and your family to enjoy!! Hard to say what they are now but closer to the Con we all will have more info on them. Keep following here and I am sure you will be updated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, I was sure there would be!