Author Topic: Dune 2020 speculation, anticpation, expectations ***Spoiler free***  (Read 1473 times)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001

I knew Villeneuve was directing but, wow, the visuals are spectacular with homage to Lynches Dune. and Pink Floyd.....spectacular.

I just hope with reasonable expectation of a long movie. please god, do not try and cram it into 2 hours please.
eta:
There will be another Dune movie.

Villeneuve decided to split his adaptation into two parts because the world in Herbert's novel is far to expansive to be squeezed into one film. “I would not agree to make this adaptation of the book with one single movie,” he told VF. “The world is too complex. It’s a world that takes its power in details.”

Dune is scheduled to be released theatrically in the United States by Warner Bros. Pictures on December 18, 2020, in IMAX and 3D.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 05:00:06 PM by alyssa »
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Miclpea

• Hall H
  • Liked: 350
Re: Dune 2020 speculation, anticpation, expectations ***Spoiler free***
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 06:26:16 PM »
Two films to cover first novel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline Jim Watari

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Twitter @jwatari
  • Liked: 584
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 02:47:26 PM »
He is also doing a Dune TV series "Dune : The Sisterhood"
The more things change, the more they stay the same

Hoban 'Wash' Washburn: It's okay, I'm a leaf on the wind!
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: What does that mean?

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2020, 02:58:08 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Two films to cover first novel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
thank peter jackson for breaking the 'all stories can be told in 2 hours' myth
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline FBS

• Fulfillment Room
    • http://www.marksearby.com/
  • Liked: 510
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2020, 11:23:10 PM »
As reported in Deadline, Dune may shift back into 2021.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2020, 09:45:09 AM »
1) this has been the film that's my most-anticipated for 2020 for at least a year now.  The director is great and I have little doubt this film will hit on a lot of levels for me
2) I've never read the book(s): I've tried a few times to read "Dune" but it feels so dense & I can't get super far into it before putting it down.  One of these days...
3) I admire the original DUNE.  I'm a David Lynch fan in general, and I appreciate his take, super problematic as it may be.
4) If you've never seen it, I _HIGHLY_ recommend the documentary JODOROWSKY'S DUNE - a doc about the legit bats**t crazy film that would've blown the world away had it been made (if you don't know director Alejandro Jodorowsky and his incredibly unique films, you should check out some of his stuff too).  Many of the ideas were transferred to other films (for example, he had HR Giger doing visual work and much of it ended up being 'recycled'/repurposed for ALIEN films), and the documentary goes into much depth about the plans for Jodorowsky's version of the sci-fi novel.  It's fascinating, and one of my all-time favorite "movies that were never made" to think about 'what could've been'

Anyway, I can't speculate much as far as source material vs the upcoming adaptation other than to say the book is in great hands.  There is an outstanding cast here as well, so this should at the very least be a really compelling film that looks great (minus pop star Sting in bizarro underwear though so at least the original still has that going for it in perpetuity  :P )

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2020, 01:31:50 PM »
Pretty much all the same could have been said of Villeneuve's last high concept blockbuster.  Unfortunately it was a box office failure.  In many ways, Blade Runner 2049 and Dune are similar.  Personally, I loved Blade Runner 2049.  I saw it in the theater a few times.  I find myself owning 3 copies of it so far.  I thought it should have been best picture that year.  But high concept movies rarely become blockbusters.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2020, 06:54:12 AM »
Pretty much all the same could have been said of Villeneuve's last high concept blockbuster.  Unfortunately it was a box office failure.  In many ways, Blade Runner 2049 and Dune are similar.  Personally, I loved Blade Runner 2049.  I saw it in the theater a few times.  I find myself owning 3 copies of it so far.  I thought it should have been best picture that year.  But high concept movies rarely become blockbusters.
but they become classics with staying power ;)
I absolutely love 2049, arrival and Interstellar LOL
ik, intersteller wasn't a Vul. (sp?) movies but .... ;)

.... at the very least be a really compelling film that looks great (minus pop star Sting in bizarro underwear though so at least the original still has that going for it in perpetuity  :P )
there are some who don't seem to be thrilled with the lead actor who plays paul. I found him young. I am not sure if he has the range, it didn't seem to be evident in the trailer. But i am super curious to if he can pull it off.
as with all Vul.(sp?) movies, it looks amazing!

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2020, 07:00:46 AM »
great interview by steven colbert
20 min of Dune cast and director

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2020, 09:41:55 AM »
FWIW none of us should care much about box office numbers (assuming no one here works directly for a movie studio), right?  BLADE RUNNER 2049 was a long-overdue sequel (to a movie that absolutely did not need a sequel), to an early 1980's box office flop that gained cult status over the decades (mostly thanks to innovative production look, not so much because of a compelling story or acting - helped by a director who kept releasing cuts that radically changed the meaning of the film no less, thus keeping it in the conversation well after its box office failures of 1982).  Anyone that expected BLADE RUNNER 2049 to be successful at the box office was wildly optimistic at best.

That all being said, the box office troubles of the film in no way devalue the film: you either liked it or didn't, and if you disliked it because the box office was low then you likely wouldn't have liked it if it was a box office smash.  I personally think it had all of the components of the original film in place, which was proven to not be a hit with the masses/mainstream mindset.

DUNE _might_ have a better shot, being based off of a popular and respected book.  But even nowadays sci-fi doesn't necessarily play great without big star-power and an easily-digestible plot.  There are some anomalies, of course, that go against what I just stated.  DUNE being IP that is known to many might help it, but it's not like it's a huge hit.  Most sci-fi movies that crush it at the BO have a fairly low budget (again, there are anomalies that counter that argument, but for the most part that's the challenge of sci-fi films: budget vs box office viability).  For example, THE ARRIVAL was a pretty big hit, especially for sci-fi.  It was based off of a short story that most probably didn't read before the film was released, and it made a little over $200 million: off of a $47 million production budget.  Remember that total budget for a film is typically double production budget when factoring in marketing and other costs, so figure THE ARRIVAL doubled its total budget: a solid earner.

The original DUDE film made almost $31 million off of around a $40 million budget.  It was marketed HEAVILY by the studios, coming out in the era of the original Star Wars.  Dune came out a year after RETURN OF THE JEDI, but JEDI has less of a budget than DUNE by nearly $8 million!  The 2020 DUNE has a reported budget of around $200 million: about $75 million less than the reported production budget of RISE OF SKYWALKER!  That's a huge budget and likely WILL be incredibly difficult to profit from (figure a $400 million box office haul to BREAK EVEN, and the prospects aren't super promising).  For example, SPIDER-MAN: FAR FROM HOME was reported to have a $160 million budget: for a direct sequel to the highest-grossing film in movie history, and one of the most profitable IP's on the market in a franchise that prints money.  FAR FROM HOME made a little more than $1.1 billion, so that substantial budget was well-warranted (and an incredibly "easy" risk).

I say all of this, because box office and budget analysis is fascinating from an analytical standpoint.  It's fun to see what a studio spends on a film in comparison to others, or to see where the general public wants to throw their money (remember, the TRANSFORMERS live action films were wildly popular at the BO, with most people being wildly reviled by the general populous).  It's fascinating to study trends, or to analyze where studios may be throwing their money next (clearly, Hollywood is in the "anything that's already established IP gets a movie or a series!" phase lately, especially if said IP is coupled with any sort of nostalgia factor).

But for those of us who don't work in the industry, it should be little more than fascination.  I think the film PRIMER is one of the best sci-fi films ever produced, and it made little more than 3/4's of a million dollars total (granted on a $7k budget).  The only thing that matters to us, as consumers, is what we personally _LIKE_.  Let accountants and executives with jobs/careers on the line worry about box office.  Champion artists you like, try to talk your friends into consuming the same art you want to promote (like have championed James Gunn since he was "only" a writer because I love his work; and I've been in love with Taika Waiti since he was a short-film writer/director + "Flight of the Conchords" writer/director because his humor is soooo my jam).  It's exciting when 'our' favorite small artists break the mainstream, and it's always great to champion art we love.  But BO doesn't impact our enjoyment at all, and shouldn't be much of a thought as far as what we like/dislike (except maybe in a "DAMN YOU MAINSTREAM for not embracing SCOTT PILGRIM in theaters!!" type of way  :P )

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2020, 12:52:36 PM »
FWIW none of us should care much about box office numbers (assuming no one here works directly for a movie studio), right?

All of us need to care about the box office.  For the simple matter that if a movie doesn't make money, then they won't make anymore.  There was supposed to be another Blade Runner movie.  It was set up in 2049.  If it happens, I don't think that's going to happen for another 20 years.

It's just not about a single franchise, it's about the entire genre.  If a type of movie doesn't make money then the chances of another movie in the genre being greenlighted will diminish.  Like it or not, movies are a business.  If it's not profitable then there is no business.

DUNE _might_ have a better shot, being based off of a popular and respected book.

Blade Runner was also based off a book from a well known and well respected author.  Compared to Dune, the premise is simple.  Robots are bad, hunt bad robots.  Dune is more complicated.  Unless some miracle happens, I can see how many people will be lost wondering what's going on.  Which is exactly what happened with 2049.  Many people just didn't get what was happening.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2020, 12:54:39 PM »

It seems the spice won’t flow until next year, as Warner Bros. and Legendary are moving Denis Villeneueve‘s Dune off its December release date and will unveil the epic sci-fi movie on Oct. 1, 2021, Collider has exclusively learned.