Author Topic: Dragon Con 2018: Aug 31-Sep 3  (Read 5091 times)

Offline IfIWereMagneto

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 197
Re: Dragon Con 2018: Aug 31-Sep 3
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2018, 02:01:33 PM »
I adore this con so much. I’ve missed the last two and I’m not missing it again!
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline OutsideComicCon-Kim

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2018, 11:50:14 AM »
If anyone browsing this forum still needs DragonCon membership, I am unable to attend and have 2 memberships/badges available. They are $85 each/$170 for the pair, which would save you a bundle of money on current prices. They can't be transferred but I have a person attending who can pick them up and do a hand off. You have to not mind wearing a badge that has my name on it. Contact me privately for details!

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 10:46:50 PM »

Offline EscoBlades

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 49
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2018, 10:10:47 AM »
Should be attending this for the first time this year as a Professional. Have heard a lot about the con, and am excited to be there in person.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2018, 10:41:41 AM »
Should be attending this for the first time this year as a Professional. Have heard a lot about the con, and am excited to be there in person.
You will have a blast! Let me know if you have any questions. Although I don't know much about attending as a Pro, but I have been going for 5 or so years.
Ang

Offline Kevin Bachelder

• Exhibit Hall
  • My Twitter - @kbachelder
    • DragonConNewbies.org
  • Liked: 28
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2018, 02:57:04 PM »

This will be my 14th Dragon Con. I've been an Attending Pro for the past few years. 

We've got lots of resources for newbies listed at the link in my signature below.

Have a great time...hope to see you there!

Kevin
New to the awesomeness that is Dragon Con?

Tuning In To Scifi TV podcast (covering all genre TV shows)

Tales Of The Black Badge - A Wynonna Earp fan podcast

Offline maya28

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 30
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2018, 11:02:28 PM »
Hey guys, i wasnt sure if this is where im supposed to post but im looking for 1 to 2 female roomates to stay with a friend and i (both female)at the omni hotel for DRAGONCON. We'll be staying Aug 29th - Sept 3rd. You do NOT have to stay all days. And also, no worries if its only 1 person, we'll divide cost by 4 persons, per day,  no matter what. Feel free to message me for details, cost etc :)

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2018, 05:10:50 PM »
Some really great guest announcements lately! I saw today that they announced several cast members from The Expanse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ang

Offline ahbbb

• Room 6BCF
    • autograph hounds blah blah blog
  • Liked: 46
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2018, 08:10:58 PM »
Some really great guest announcements lately! I saw today that they announced several cast members from The Expanse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DragonCon usually has a great guest line.
It’s a hybrid of Sdcc and worldcon.
I hope to go in 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A Brave Man Likes to Feel the Weather on his Face
A Wise Man Knows When to Get Out of the Rain

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2018, 07:26:53 AM »
I don't know if this applies to anyone here, but if you have a legacy Dragon Con reservation at the Hyatt, you should be receiving an email from them on Monday, August 20 regarding your reservation for 2019. It's what you used to do at check in, but they are having you do it ahead of time. There was supposedly an email that came out regarding this change, but I never got it. Thank goodness for the Dragon*Con Hotel Connection page on Facebook. They really do a great service for us con goers!
Ang

Offline sheilaac717

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2018, 08:31:54 AM »
This will more than likely be my last year attending. Dragon Con is great. The logistics are horrible. Over the Labor Day weekend, too many activities are going on in a notoriously congested downtown Atlanta. You have Dragon Con (85K), the Atlanta Falcons were playing (stadium holds 70k), Black Gay Pride Weekend, and Chick-fil-A football classic at the stadium(70K) on Saturday. The shuttle system is an absolute nightmare. It is inconsistent, slow and signs are poorly marked. On Saturday it took 90 minutes for our shuttle to arrive.

Offline Kevin Bachelder

• Exhibit Hall
    • DragonConNewbies.org
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2018, 09:22:11 AM »
This will more than likely be my last year attending. Dragon Con is great. The logistics are horrible. Over the Labor Day weekend, too many activities are going on in a notoriously congested downtown Atlanta. You have Dragon Con (85K), the Atlanta Falcons were playing (stadium holds 70k), Black Gay Pride Weekend, and Chick-fil-A football classic at the stadium(70K) on Saturday. The shuttle system is an absolute nightmare. It is inconsistent, slow and signs are poorly marked. On Saturday it took 90 minutes for our shuttle to arrive.

If you're not staying at one of the host hotels or one that's within easy walking distance the MARTA trains are usually the best option because of how much is going on downtown during con.

Kevin

Offline sheilaac717

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2018, 10:15:35 AM »
Unless you are legacy, it is almost impossible to get a host hotel. Last year I was near the metro. This year my hotel was a good 15 minute uphill walk from the nearest metro station. And I was with someone with a bum knee.

Offline Kevin Bachelder

• Exhibit Hall
    • DragonConNewbies.org
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2018, 11:38:55 AM »
Unless you are legacy, it is almost impossible to get a host hotel.

You can get a host hotel at multiple points throughout the year. I know folks who got rooms at the Westin just a few weeks before con.  You just need to be persistent. It also helps if you active in some of the Dragon Con community Facebook groups since folks will post in those groups when some rooms become available.

Last year I was near the metro. This year my hotel was a good 15 minute uphill walk from the nearest metro station. And I was with someone with a bum knee.

I completely understand. Lots of folks were in the same position. It's too bad the shuttle system wasn't more reliable.

Kevin

Offline Angie

• Ballroom 20
    • The NerdyGirl's Blog
  • Liked: 200
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2018, 02:29:41 PM »
I love dragoncon, but it has to be the most frustrating con I go to.

For the life of me I don't understand why they can't update anything like their website, buying badges, security, social media, etc. I could only afford to go one day so I picked Friday because the 2 guests I wanted autographs from were supposedly there "all weekend" (although they only said this in the initial tweet of their announcement and then NOTHING after that) and neither of them were in the walk of fame at all that day. So I spent time and money to get a badge to pay more money for autographs and to meet people that I couldn't even get. I checked DC's twitter and IG - nothing. No updates. Nothing in the walk of fame to tell me when they would be there. I went back there 4 times hoping they would show.

Why can't DC have when their guests are going to be certain places updated on the site? They can't tweet something out so I don't waste my whole day trying to see people who aren't going to be there? I really just don't get it. (To add more frustration - the DC website said the Vendor Hall opened at 1pm on Friday and their printed guide said 10am. Well it was open at 10...they really couldn't update that? UGH)

Also, they have got to update their badge buying process. It is straight out of 1998. I go to the Sheraton and wait in line. Then I have to fill out a piece of paper by hand with all my info on it (why do they need this?) and get in another line. Then I hand this paper to a person who takes my money and sends me to another line. Then I have to show my ID and wait until this person puts my info into a computer. THEN I go to another line and I finally get my badge. Combined with the fact that you can't even buy a single day badge online and just pick it up...again, why? Why does there have to be an unnecessary 4-step process to buy a badge?

I really feel like I step back into a con from the 90's when I go to DC. Its frustrating because it could be so much more enjoyable if they just took some time and money to update things.

I should add that there was a ton more security/cops this year but this is something that should have been happening EVERY year. Anyone could walk in to a host hotel with anything on them and no one would know. They had a guy checking prop weapons at the door of the marriott on thursday night but then on friday morning when I went to get my badge he wasn't there! What is the point of that? That makes me feel less safe. Last year I had a prop gun for a cosplay...walked around with it for HOURS and they only stopped me to check it when I wanted to go into the walk of fame. It made me very uneasy.

Sorry for the huge rant but I want DC to fix this stuff so badly. I am totally at a loss as to why almost every other convention is updated in the way they run things but DC stays frustratingly in the past.

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2018, 11:16:49 AM »
We had a blast as always this year. I got to meet [member=4892]miclpea[/member] and Andrew English (from the hangout-is he on here?) We ate an PittyPat's Porch and had some good Southern food. Alas, I forgot to take a picture, though.

I will write more this weekend after I get my pictures straightened out.

(Fangirl moment-I met Catherine Tate!! Squee!!)
Ang