Author Topic: Disney cancels next year's D23 Convention in Anaheim until Sept. 2022.  (Read 1315 times)

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 829
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 457
Re: Disney cancels next year's D23 Convention in Anaheim until Sept. 2022.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 03:17:23 AM »
With Disney apparently not believing they can hold large events in CA next summer, that makes me very nervous about SDCC next year.

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 11:52:17 AM »
With Disney apparently not believing they can hold large events in CA next summer, that makes me very nervous about SDCC next year.
Disney is also in a position of 1) massive budget cuts/restrictions (they've laid off a slew of employees in all of their parks) and 2) likely at a point of "deposits are due" situation and maybe felt it was most prudent to just cancel now.

I'm not saying not to be nervous about SDCC next year: as a San Diego local things are gradually improving numbers-wise in the county, but not significant enough to feel like we'll be just fine in less than 9 months.  I do think if I've learned nothing in the last 6.5 months of being shut-down, that trying to predict more than a week or two isn't helpful: things are so fluid and change rapidly.  Heck, less than 7 days ago San Diego County looked almost certainly headed back on the 'Watch-List' with high numbers, only to 'squeak' by and escape being "in the purple."  Who knows what the landscape will be by late winter/early spring

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 11:57:49 AM »
Doesn’t Disney basically run Anaheim?  I wouldn’t think “deposits are due” applies to them.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2020, 12:39:33 PM »

I'm not nervous about SDCC next year.  I don't think it's going to happen.  I don't see how it can.  The thing we need to come to terms with is that covid is here to stay.  A vaccine will not get rid of it.  It will be something we have to figure out how to live with.  That's going to take time.

Disney is also in a position of 1) massive budget cuts/restrictions (they've laid off a slew of employees in all of their parks) and 2) likely at a point of "deposits are due" situation and maybe felt it was most prudent to just cancel now.

I think that if anyone can pull it off it will be Disney.  They opened their parks early when everyone said they shouldn't.  So far, it's been going well.  So they have that experience to build upon.  Granted, opened Disney parks are a echo of what they were before covid but they are at least open.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 12:43:33 PM by chocolateshake »

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2020, 01:25:21 PM »
Well if you take the approach that Covid is here to stay, then mass events may as well resume and SDCC will happen.  They’re too big a part of the economy, and eliminating that the mass events part of the economy permanently will be viewed as too big a loss, no matter how many people Covid kills.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2020, 02:54:13 PM »
It's not an approach, it's reality.  Covid is too widespread to eliminate now.  Unlike illnesses like smallpox that offer lifetime immunity, immunity from recovering from covid is fleeting.  Like the cold, it will reoccur.  We are still dealing with the Spanish Flu today.  It didn't go away after 1919.  It's in every annual flu shot.

Many things have been a big part of the economy.  Farming, coal and oil for example.  They no longer are.  As they diminished other sectors like tech took over.  Nothing is so big that it being eliminated would be too big of a loss.  Disruption is opportunity.  100 years ago most people worked on farms.  Today very few people do.  50 years ago industrial production was the growth sector in the US.  Now it's services.

Things have changed.  It isn't temporary or unexpected.  Covid merely accelerated trends.  I doubt that business travel will ever get back to what it was.  Video conferencing is a viable alternative.  Work from home is here to stay for many people.  Some hotels are adapting to the change in tourism by offering day services.  It turns out that a lot of people don't want to stay overnight, they just want a staycation during the day and then go home at night.  The only constant in the economy is change.

Conventions will happen.  Large gatherings are already happening in other parts of the world that have covid under control.  In the US, covid is not under control.  Until it is there's too much risk in the US.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 05:49:45 PM by chocolateshake »