Author Topic: D23 Episode II: How will it impact SDCC this year?  (Read 15132 times)

Offline mdla

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 171
D23 Episode II: How will it impact SDCC this year?
« on: January 17, 2013, 11:16:21 AM »
Ahh almost as good as getting there, is putting together the pieces on who will be there!

My biggest question/worry is the effect D23 will have on Comic Con this year.  I would be pretty sad if Marvel and Disney didnt show up, but now the loss of not having them at the expo, as was the case in 2011 is only part of the story.

With the purchase of Lucasfilms, would Disney pull back any Star Wars related content as well? They've always been such a prominent player in the Exhibitor Hall, that I don't think they would pull out of SDCC entirely, but I could be wrong.  What do you guys think?

Offline kappolo

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 9
Re: D23 Episode II: How will it impact SDCC this year?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 11:36:09 AM »
I don't think Marvel will not show up at Comic Con

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 06:02:10 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 11:37:27 AM »
During the last D23, Disney did not pull anything out of the exhibit hall that I could tell.  There was less of a panel presence for them though as they saved stuff for their show.

Yzrfan

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 12:07:28 PM »
All they really did for Marvel last time was show a clip from the avengers and had "a cup of joe" the last day.

Offline TheTFReview

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 57
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 12:43:36 PM »
Marvel, LucasFilm and Disney will have a presence at SDCC this year. It wouldn't be SDCC without them and Disney knows the marketability value in SDCC. However they may scale the big presentations back like they did 2 years ago.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 07:39:46 AM »
I agree. They will be in the Exhibit Hall at the very least, although panel presence might be diminished.

Offline mdla

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 171
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 11:36:22 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I agree. They will be in the Exhibit Hall at the very least, although panel presence might be diminished.

As much as it would be unfortunate if they did have smaller presentations at least this would clear up some time to explore other parts of the con... I was so overwhelmed with panels ladt year that I barely spent any time at the exhibit hall.

Yzrfan

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 03:14:57 PM »
Disney knows how important SDCC is and I don't think things will change. Yes Disney does own marvel and Lucas now, but D23 is very different than SDCC. D23 is 100% Disney parks, life, stories so on and so forth. And the traditional D23 member is going to go for the Disney experience  and not so much the marvel/Lucas. Last D23 "cup of joe" was on the last day and didn't have that big of an attendance. I don't think things will change at SDCC this year.

angel_k

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 03:28:28 PM »
So D23 is the Disney convention?  Oh man, why didn't I know about that when I was a Disney fanatic a decade ago...

Anyway, from my understanding, something like Thor will probably still be there, but we just might not get extended clips or something like that at the panel?  I want something Avengers related at this con and that seems like the only movie that's coming out soon afterwards.  Too bad Iron Man wasn't scheduled for release just a couple months later!  But now that I've learned that David Eccleston has a roll in Thor I'm really really hoping he gets invited to a panel.  All my friends are freaking out about Tom Hiddleston, but, like, I'm a hardcore Whovian and any chance to see a Doctor with my own eyes is quite exciting.

Offline oneroomdisco

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 197
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 03:33:20 PM »
I would severely doubt that Disney/Marvel would pull back from SDCC because of D23.

The decision to skip SDCC in 2011 was often mentioned rather unfavorably in coverage of the John Carter flopage.  Additionally, Marvel, at least, opened their Hall H panel with a love note to Hall H/Comic Con fans, so yeah, I'd be very surprised if they weren't there.

Offline Jeff

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 03:37:37 PM »
So D23 is the Disney convention?  Oh man, why didn't I know about that when I was a Disney fanatic a decade ago...
But now that I've learned that David Eccleston has a roll in Thor I'm really really hoping he gets invited to a panel.  All my friends are freaking out about Tom Hiddleston, but, like, I'm a hardcore Whovian and any chance to see a Doctor with my own eyes is quite exciting.
David Tennant/Christopher Eccleston mid regeneration?  ;D

angel_k

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 04:26:58 PM »
David Tennant/Christopher Eccleston mid regeneration?  ;D

asfkdjlaksdfj aw crap.  Christopher Eccleston.  I know who these people are.  Dammit.  *slinks away in shame*

angel_k

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 08:00:12 PM »
Hey so I just came across You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.

It's pretty vague, but if ABC is planning on having S.H.I.E.L.D. there, they probably won't be holding back much because of D23?  I'm not sure if this deserves it's own thread since it is literally two sentences and a quote, but I'm excited! :D

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 09:46:48 AM »
I hadn't heard about that show! It looks really cool! Thanks for posting, Angel!

angel_k

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 12:03:24 PM »
I hadn't heard about that show! It looks really cool! Thanks for posting, Angel!

You hadn't?  omg I am extremely excited.  A) Joss Whedon.  B) Clark Gregg. C) New Avengers related content on a weekly basis.  So much to be excited about!  With the way things are timed I hope this means there will be a lot of SHIELD stuff at con. I mean, they do a lot of stuff for Fall shows, right?  *so excited*