Author Topic: 2020 SDCC Badge Refunds/Transfers  (Read 9710 times)

Offline lliving

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 173
Re: 2020 SDCC Badge Refunds/Transfers
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2020, 11:44:44 AM »
I bought a badge for someone outside my buying group during open registration.  They decided to ask for a refund of their badge after the the cancelation announcement.They contacted me  let me know.   They had to have my name and my memberid for the request.i got an email "receipt" from CCI that a refund had been requested and approved.  Two days later, the refunded amount appeared on my credit card statement.  Which I returned to badge holder.  Pretty straightforward.

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2020, 12:39:51 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Thanks for letting us know how it went!  Glad it was so easy.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 05:37:18 AM »

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2020, 03:30:22 PM »
So if you cancel and went to 2019 will you eligible for returning reg ?

If you don’t cancel will this give you two more shots to get Friday and Saturday ?
My guess is that there will be BARELY enough badges refunded for ONE badge sale. Two sales is highly unlikely. In fact, there may not even be a badge sale if not enough people ask for refunds. CCI may decide less attendees is better, or they may just auction off what inventory they have like the past couple of years.

I say the chances of a Returning Registration AND a General Registration are next to nil.

^ thanks your completely right, they might run next year light on people.

( I’m in the camp that thinks this will be endemic)

Timeline and number of sales now mentioned in

RETURNING ATTENDEES

Due to the option of allowing Comic-Con 2020 badge holders to transfer their badges to Comic-Con 2021, there will be no Returning Registration for Comic-Con 2021. Depending on the number of refund requests received, there may be reduced inventory for sale in the fall of 2020.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 06:28:36 PM by SamTurtledove »

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2020, 06:13:59 PM »
I know, most people here have already decided what they are doing, but just in case... the deadline to request a badge refund from SDCC is July 1... next week!

Offline jeffa

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2020, 04:58:24 PM »
It's possible that the number of transferred badges will exceed the number of people the Convention Center will be allowed to let enter at one time, even looking forward to July 2021. Of course, if there's an effective (not 70%) vaccine and everybody who's taken it has a card in their wallet (wait for the civil liberties debate on that!), it could be programmed into the badge.

Oh well, I'll see what happens with my Masters Tournament practice round badges. If we could predict the future, where were we six months ago?

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 251
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2020, 05:42:35 PM »
It's possible that the number of transferred badges will exceed the number of people the Convention Center will be allowed to let enter at one time, even looking forward to July 2021. Of course, if there's an effective (not 70%) vaccine and everybody who's taken it has a card in their wallet (wait for the civil liberties debate on that!), it could be programmed into the badge.

Oh well, I'll see what happens with my Masters Tournament practice round badges. If we could predict the future, where were we six months ago?

If there is a vaccine, that would be great. However, I do not think that will happen. What I think is possible is that there will be good enough treatments, because it's easier to repurpose or tweak drugs.

That said, I am very excited about next year. I try to stay positive and believe that it will happen.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2020, 08:27:14 PM »
If there is a vaccine, that would be great. However, I do not think that will happen. What I think is possible is that there will be good enough treatments, because it's easier to repurpose or tweak drugs.

That said, I am very excited about next year. I try to stay positive and believe that it will happen.

I've said it from the start, the question was not whether there will be a comic-con in 2020, it's whether there will be one in 2021.

It's not easier to re-purpose existing drugs.  If there is some existing drug that will be the answer, we'd probably know by now.  Everything including the kitchen sink has been thrown at it.

The only thing that's been shown to do anything at all directly on the virus is Remdesivir.  That's not a re-purpose.  Covid is it's first purpose.  It's been tried on a variety of viruses through the years and this is the first time it's worked on anything.  That's not uncommon in drug development.  A compound is evaluated on a bunch of diseases before it's found to be effective on anything.

The nature of the challenge here is that there was never an effective treatment or vaccine for any coronavirus until Remdesivir.  The value of Remdesivir is that it shows that something can work, not that it works well.  The impossible has become the possible.  If a vaccine can be developed by comic-con 2021, not only would that be the first coronavirus vaccine, it would be first vaccine developed in so short a time.  That's a lot of firsts.

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2020, 11:21:36 PM »

The only thing that's been shown to do anything at all directly on the virus is Remdesivir.  That's not a re-purpose.  Covid is it's first purpose.  It's been tried on a variety of viruses through the years and this is the first time it's worked on anything.  That's not uncommon in drug development.  A compound is evaluated on a bunch of diseases before it's found to be effective on anything.

There's actually a science to how they repurpose drugs. They don't just throw everything at it. Well, I guess sometimes they do, but there are some techniques for weeding out which will work and which won't. It's methodical and takes time, but it's faster than throwing everything at it willy nilly. Anyway, dexamethasone has shown great promise for preventing death last I heard. That might change, but it's things like that that give me hope. A vaccine is great. A direct treatment is great. Something that will treat/prevent death or severe manifestations is the very least of what we need to get back to "normal."

I believe it's easier to repurpose drugs because if you create a vaccine, you have test and test and test, and then make the vaccine. If you repurpose a drug, you have to test, but if the test shows good initial results, you can use the drug right away because it's available on the market and the toxic doses and side effects are known, at least for other conditions. So, with dexamethasone, it was pretty much an immediate go and everyone was onboard. There was no need for phase anything trials. Of course, they will keep doing studies, but they can use the drug as they are doing studies.

BTW, remdesivir has been around. It was not developed for COVID-19, so it is a repurposed drug. It was originally developed for ebola.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 11:37:07 PM by puppy »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2020, 12:10:43 AM »
There's actually a science to how they repurpose drugs. They don't just throw everything at it. Well, I guess sometimes they do, but there are some techniques for weeding out which will work and which won't. It's methodical and takes time, but it's faster than throwing everything at it willy nilly.

Throwing everything at it exactly how it works.  There are assay machines out there that will test thousands of compounds for efficacy on a target.  Computational techniques to try to figure out which are the best candidates is, to say the least, in it's infancy.  If that was reliable then Chloroquine would have knocked it out of the park.  We still have no idea how a lot of drugs work.  All we know is they do.  That's a lot of what drug research is, people go out and find compounds, say a leaf in a rain forest, then they test it against as many targets as they can hoping that it has some effect.  It's exhaustive trial and error.

Anyway, dexamethasone has shown great promise for preventing death last I heard. That might change, but it's things like that that give me hope. A vaccine is great. A direct treatment is great. Something that will treat/prevent death or severe manifestations is the very least of what we need to get back to "normal."

What dexamethasone does is great.  So is an IV bag of saline.  Dexamethasone doesn't directly treat covid, it helps with the inflammation.  A bag of saline doesn't directly treat covid, it keeps you hydrated.  That bag of saline is critical in preventing death but I wouldn't herald it as a treatment for covid.

BTW, remdesivir has been around. It was not developed for COVID-19, so it is a repurposed drug. It was originally developed for ebola.

I already discussed this in my last post.  It's not re-purposed.  Covid is the first purpose for it.  It doesn't work for anything else.  It's common in drug development for a drug to be trialed on a bunch of conditions before it's found to work on anything.  By your own definition, it's not re-purposed since it wasn't available on the market before for anything else.  ED and LD was never determined for any other purpose.  Covid is it's first purpose.

Remdesivir was originally developed to treat Hep C.  The disease Gilead is famous for treating.  It didn't work on Hep C so they tried it on Ebola.  It didn't work on Ebola so they tried it on other things.  It didn't work on those other things so they tried it for Covid.  Finally it works on something.  That's drug development.  It's a lot more trial and error than people think.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 12:13:09 AM by chocolateshake »

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2020, 08:02:00 AM »

What dexamethasone does is great.  So is an IV bag of saline.  Dexamethasone doesn't directly treat covid, it helps with the inflammation.  A bag of saline doesn't directly treat covid, it keeps you hydrated.  That bag of saline is critical in preventing death but I wouldn't herald it as a treatment for covid.

It would be great is something would directly treat COVID-19. I'm not disputing that. However, reducing death or mitigating manifestations is the next best thing. When it comes to results, dexamethasone is nothing like just a bag of saline. Dexamethasone saves lives, even if it doesn't cure COVID-19, even if it doesn't directly target SARS-CoV-2. At this point, drugs that reduce the risk of death and manifestations of COVID-19 are our most likely bet for getting back to our new normal. If somehow dexamethasone doesn't pan out as well as recent studies show, something else will. I have high hopes for that.

I do have hopes of a vaccine, if only because the whole world is working on one. A cure would be great. However, they take so much time. I just don't know if it will happen by next year.

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2020, 10:30:51 AM »
(is there a topic thread for covid that may be more useful than this one to continue the conversation?)

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2020, 11:07:38 AM »
(is there a topic thread for covid that may be more useful than this one to continue the conversation?)

LOL. Sorry 'bout that. To bring this back to SDCC, I really, really hope that a cure/treatment/vaccine happens by next year because I totally want to go. My daughter and I have been talking so much about it. I want to be in the Hall H line. I want to wait all night. I don't want to social distance. She is working on her costume right now, so it will be good to go for next year.

I hope they will not restrict entry next year. That totally would bum me out. However, if social distancing is required, so be it. I hope luck is with us so that we get in.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2020, 11:59:13 AM »
I've said it from the start, the question was not whether there will be a comic-con in 2020, it's whether there will be one in 2021.

It's not easier to re-purpose existing drugs.  If there is some existing drug that will be the answer, we'd probably know by now.  Everything including the kitchen sink has been thrown at it.

The nature of the challenge here is that there was never an effective treatment or vaccine for any coronavirus until Remdesivir.  The value of Remdesivir is that it shows that something can work, not that it works well.  The impossible has become the possible.  If a vaccine can be developed by comic-con 2021, not only would that be the first coronavirus vaccine, it would be first vaccine developed in so short a time.  That's a lot of firsts.
Right: it would beat the record, which is current FOUR YEARS from start of development-being widely distributed. 
To make this relevant to SDCCI 2021, is it responsible to have a huge event w/out a vaccine in wide circulation?  For those of us who've been to SDCCI a lot over the years, do we honestly think social distancing would/could work at SDCCI? 
Wearing masks in public is vital, and too many Americans are too dim to even follow that basic necessity.  When you factor in the actual point of us wearing masks, it's to basically buy us 20-30 minutes of time in contact with someone infected: not to buy us several hours, or all-day in a packed Convention Center Exhibit Hall/Ballroom/Hall H.
I guess if we have a viable treatment in wide circulation that would mitigate the danger.  But it might be naive to think that in 12ish months the world will be in a place to still hold events that pack 6500 people into a room in close quarters: or that people would want to present panels in that type of environment. 
According to a recent USA today article, we're about 1/3rd of the way to a vaccination _being close to distribution_.

Now, the US Government is trying to fast track a vaccine, but can the FDA be trusted?  The FDA already epically botched antibody testing in an attempt to fast track: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I dunno.  My wife has asthma & is thus high-risk; also I'm a life-long Cleveland sports fan so I tend to lean on the pessimistic side when evaluating the future (even though it took me WAY too long to grasp the reality that SDCCI 2020 was going to be canceled).  We're obviously way too far out currently to be too depressed or excited about 2021 SDCCI.  I think at best, though, we should temper our expectations for a "next year" (just as Cleveland sports fans do every year :P :( )
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 12:11:13 PM by perc2100 »

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2020, 05:46:21 PM »
I dunno.  My wife has asthma & is thus high-risk; also I'm a life-long Cleveland sports fan so I tend to lean on the pessimistic side when evaluating the future (even though it took me WAY too long to grasp the reality that SDCCI 2020 was going to be canceled).  We're obviously way too far out currently to be too depressed or excited about 2021 SDCCI.  I think at best, though, we should temper our expectations for a "next year" (just as Cleveland sports fans do every year :P :( )

Not too far out at all. I hold onto hope because hope is what makes life worth living. If things don't pan out...oh, well. But until then, we hope.  :)

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 538
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2020, 06:13:49 AM »
I'd rather hold onto my badge by rolling it over and then play it by ear next year. It's money I already spent, and I still have a job, so I didn't really need the refund. Like others, I'm trying to stay positive and worry about next year when it happens.