Author Topic: WonderCon and CCIs statements about the move  (Read 59035 times)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
Re: WonderCon and CCIs statements about the move
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2012, 07:39:18 PM »
David Glazner interview 4.4.12
"Q: You recently held your WonderCon event at the Anaheim Convention Center instead of San Francisco’s Moscone Center as you normally do because of construction going on there. Anaheim had been in competition with San Diego to host future Comic-Con conventions. Did your experience in Orange County make you think more about relocating the Con there after 2015?

A: We were so focused on making WonderCon the best possible show, we weren’t really looking at this as ‘Oh, how would Comic-Con work here?’ It really was because we didn’t have dates at Moscone. WonderCon is really a Bay Area show."
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Bert Su

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 73
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2012, 01:11:23 AM »
At the Wondercon Feedback panel, the president of Comic Con was open to the idea of using the Anahiem facility. He said they would make the Anaheim into a campus if they decided to move. Nearby hotels like the Hilton would be used for exhibitors space and panels just like the hotels near the San Diego Convention Center.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to my YouTube channel for Transformers reviews

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 05:42:40 AM »

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2012, 07:38:12 AM »
Someone pointed out something interesting to me recently. They said that while the Anaheim Convention Center could accommodate more people and had more panel rooms, the center did not have a single room with the capacity of Hall H. That means if the Con moved there more people would attend, but there would be less capacity for the biggest panels. That, in his opinion, was a strong reason why SDCC would never relocate there.

I'm not 100% sure... there were a number of large halls on the ground and main floors, although they were used for dealers and such. I'm wondering if it would work if they used the 'Dealer's floor' for the 'Hall H' stuff and then split up the Dealer's area into different rooms: one room for Artist's Alley, one for gaming companies, one for small sellers/dealers, one for the big commercial booths, etc. Still,  that would be very weird, and there would be less cross-traffic between areas... IMHO that cross traffic is a vital part of the experience on the Dealer's floor.

Offline icedog1787

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2012, 10:27:07 AM »
The only people that would want Wondercon to stay in Anaheim are the people that live in that area or is less than an hour away drive. The Anaheim Convention Center is a terrible venue for people to get to. In San Francisco you can take public transportation or drive in. There's also a lack of places to eat where you won't find that problem in San Francisco where there's literally 50 plus places to eat within 3 blocks of Moscone. Jun also pointed out that Anaheim doesn't have an adequate room to hold large panels like the Esplanade Ballroom has in Moscone Center which is true. As someone that has gone to Wondercon at both venues, Moscone Center is definitely the better venue for accesability and convenience.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2012, 10:38:24 AM »
I didn't know you were at WonderCon too, Icedog! I agree with you, having been to the con in both locations, San Francisco does seem easier in terms of finding food, getting there and moving around the convention hall itself. Of course, being in the SF Bay Area, I'm biased to wanting it to stay in Northern CA. I love being able to BART in!

Offline icedog1787

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2012, 02:44:29 PM »
Yeah I was there. I live in SF so being 4 stops away from Powell was a huge plus last year and the past 7 years since CCI purchased the rights to the Wondercon name.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2012, 02:25:51 PM »
Interesting... On the CCI main page is says "Wondercon 2013 Dates and Location To Be Announced." 

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2012, 02:45:49 PM »
That's not really surprising. They haven't fixed dates, which means they aren't confident of being able to book. Once they arrange dates with Moscone they will announce both. If they're unable to arrange dates with Moscone, then they'll be looking for a new place again.

Offline GoatCheese510

• Exhibit Hall
WonderCon and CCIs statements about the move
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2012, 10:35:24 PM »
Word on the street is (close source) Anaheim has picked it up again for 2013...

Offline MegaDoug

• Gaming Lounge
  • Comic Con, where all are accepted as they are
    • my music, my love
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2012, 10:41:43 AM »
Someone pointed out something interesting to me recently. They said that while the Anaheim Convention Center could accommodate more people and had more panel rooms, the center did not have a single room with the capacity of Hall H. That means if the Con moved there more people would attend, but there would be less capacity for the biggest panels. That, in his opinion, was a strong reason why SDCC would never relocate there.

When I was attending another convention at Anaheim, one musical instrument maker was inside of this round room with seating, like an arena. It looked pretty large, I'd hafta look at the capacity it could hold. But being an arena with a floor and no stage, it may not be practical for Comic-Con type stuff.
"while in my gut the creature writhes and snarls and tells me what I need"

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
Re: Re: WonderCon and CCIs statements about the move
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2012, 01:59:35 PM »
Word on the street is (close source) Anaheim has picked it up again for 2013...
My impression is that the misconi center(?) Doesn't have any dates for wonder con in the spring of 2013

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline icedog1787

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2012, 02:59:00 PM »
And if this is the case then it's a shame once again.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2012, 03:37:37 PM »
It's pretty pathetic that Moscone can't reserve a place for WonderCon, after having denied them this year.

Offline Khaaaaaaanh!!!

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2012, 04:20:10 PM »
It's pretty pathetic that Moscone can't reserve a place for WonderCon, after having denied them this year.

i think the comment was that they couldn't provide a date more than 6 mths out and CCI needed more of a lead time.

sucks for the northern californians if it's true but still a long ways away so who knows?
...you had me at hello...

New to the forum? Look here!

Offline tehlilone

• Ballroom 20
  • It's pronounced "the lil one" ^_^
  • Liked: 185
Re: Re: WonderCon and CCIs statements about the move
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2012, 04:25:10 PM »
i think the comment was that they couldn't provide a date more than 6 mths out and CCI needed more of a lead time.

sucks for the northern californians if it's true but still a long ways away so who knows?
Yeah, they said they don't normally have dates set at the convention center before 6 months. I personally find that weird when most conventions/events take a while to plan and you usually don't plan without a venue.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2