Author Topic: New York Comic Con Oct 11-14, 2012  (Read 18669 times)

Offline Billyconard

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 10
Re: New York Comic Con Oct 11-14, 2012
« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2012, 12:11:09 PM »
Anyone know if the Old Man Logan exclusive is hard to get at NYCC?  I'm thinking of buying it on eBay - wondering if the market for it will drop after the con ends or not.  Any thoughts by attendees?

Offline Mario_c

• Ballroom 20
  • Comedian, Comic Book Writer, Fashionisto
    • My Links
  • Liked: 53
« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2012, 07:42:10 PM »
It wasn't hard to get there, all you had to do was buy an annual marvel digital subscription.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #62 on: Today at 04:12:36 AM »

Offline escape

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 27
« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2012, 10:57:27 AM »
So.  That was... interesting. 

I thought San Diego was crowded!  I'm going to say that compared to the show floor at the Javits, the San Diego Convention Center floor looks super breezy and open. 

Let's see.  Good things were definitely the lines.  I didn't wait for much of anything, unless you counted the bathrooms and food.  I chose to go super laid back and didn't show up until 10:30 or so both days that I went (Friday and Saturday) so it made my life a little easier.   I got in to see Kevin Smith within 20 minutes of getting in line... and I had no problem getting into the IGN on Saturday around 1:30 or so.  We came a little early, but I had wanted to see Beautiful Creatures, Carrie, Evil Dead, Walking Dead, and Firefly and had no problems with any of those.  I got my pic taken with Carrie Fisher, and that was fun.

The bad.  Good lord, is the capacity of that place half of what they put in there?  The crowds on the floor were so bad that on Saturday morning I went up once and refused to go back.  There is no easy way to navigate through that center.  Getting from the show floor to the IGN was kind of a disaster.  And the complete lack of cell phone service was insane!  Was I wrong, or had they stated at some point that wifi would be sponsored?  Anytime I tried to get on wifi, it asked me to pay for it.  So on Friday, I had split from my friends and then didn't see them all day because we were unaware that we wouldn't be able to connect at all via text.    There's a distinctly different vibe at NYCC as well.  At SDCC, if you get a pic of someone's costume, you move out of the way (well, generally) and do it.  At NYCC, they would take up the whole aisle and block everything!  I don't know how many pics I ruined because I wasn't about to get trampled waiting for someone to finish lining it up just right, etc.  Just take the pic and move! 

The staff seemed to not really care or just didn't know a lot of things.  When I was trying to find the photo booth on Friday, not a single staff person could tell me where to go.  Putting the author panels in the same area with the costume stage and the autograph hall just seemed like an epic disaster.   

They decided not to let anyone leave the IGN this year, so the single food vendor catered to the whole room and they had a restroom to get to.  My friend waited in line an hour and a half to get a drink.  It was the only bathroom I didn't have to wait for... but only if I went in the middle of a panel.

Overall, they just seemed wholly unorganized and completely in over their heads.   I can't say I'll be lining up to go to NYCC again. 

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2012, 11:51:24 AM »
Thanks for posting the review. 

I had a question about the panels and in particular Firefly and the Walking Dead.  How early did you have to get there ahead of time to get in?  At SDCC, those were a commitment from something o’clock in the morning until the time of the panel to see them. 

Just curious.

Offline Billyconard

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2012, 12:13:09 PM »
Thanks Mario.  Sounds like it will be easy to get in the future.  Heck, maybe they'll re-offer it with the Digital Subscriptions online like they did with Doom Unmasked.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It wasn't hard to get there, all you had to do was buy an annual marvel digital subscription.

Offline escape

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2012, 12:39:50 PM »
Thanks for posting the review. 

I had a question about the panels and in particular Firefly and the Walking Dead.  How early did you have to get there ahead of time to get in?  At SDCC, those were a commitment from something o’clock in the morning until the time of the panel to see them. 

Just curious.

We got there about 1:30 PM, but the room didn't fill completely until 3:00 PM for the 5:00 PM panel.  (And you should see some of the complaints from people who didn't make it in!   They've obviously not experienced the commitments for panels you see in SD.)

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2012, 12:42:31 PM »
We got there about 1:30 PM, but the room didn't fill completely until 3:00 PM for the 5:00 PM panel.  (And you should see some of the complaints from people who didn't make it in!   They've obviously not experienced the commitments for panels you see in SD.)

Very interesting.  Thank you for answering.  :)

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2012, 12:47:54 PM »
Wow! Only 2 hours in advance for the hottest panel of the day? Sounds like the crowded exhibit floor came with some perks, in the form of uncrowded panels!

Offline escape

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2012, 01:33:24 PM »
Absolutely agreed... it was a definite trade off.  I like the whole con experience, though, so if I'd gone for only the panels, it would have been awesome!

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2012, 05:46:23 PM »
to be honest there's some drawbacks for me;
Regardless of my close proximity to the con, it is twice as expensive as SDCC for me
It's got a NYC vibe rather than a SoCal vibe, just talking people here (like chatting in lines etc)
Line management was abysmal (almost non existent) I could go on about their concept of ticketing for the Walking Dead autograph Cast....
Having *one* entrance point for EveryOne, every DAY created a huge back up *Every Day* [eta; this perhaps was the most annoying thing.  i have a *much* greater appreciation for sdcc's line management skills]

Suffice to say, i am not sure we'll be attending next year.  I'd rather go to the Boston CC.  Don't get me wrong, we had a *great* VaKa but not due to NYCC, the great time was due to the other things we did in NYC.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 05:05:15 AM by alyssa »
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2012, 05:01:24 AM »
I heard an unofficial account of how the autograph ticketing worked on Sat morning. Apparently, tickets were given out in line before the hall opened so there was no mad rush.
*Kudos* to the management to reward the dedicated fans with a fair system which wasn't dependant on running to a line somewhere in the building!
The particulars, people started lining up at 9pm, the last person to get a Walking Dead ticket got into line around 1am. There were 50 tix given out.
Remember this is unofficial & anecdotal.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 05:06:23 AM by alyssa »
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2012, 07:54:10 AM »
That sounds like a good system for autograph tickets! I wish they'd do that at SDCC! Of course, if they did, then word would get out and I suppose the lines would be a mess again... Sigh...

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2012, 08:02:19 AM »
the thing is by handing the tickets out in line they force people to 'over nite' in line.

I'd *much* rather do a ticket pull/lottery the day before then spend all night outside in NYC in OCT

NYCC never said they'd be handing out tickets while people were in line.  All they said prior to the event was, there will be a line for the WD tickets, the hall opens at 7am.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2012, 08:05:47 AM »
See, I'd rather spend the time in line, and then know if I got it. The lottery thing seems risky... you wait all that time and then you don't even know if you got a ticket!

Offline Mario_c

• Ballroom 20
  • Comedian, Comic Book Writer, Fashionisto
    • My Links
  • Liked: 53
« Reply #74 on: October 18, 2012, 06:32:43 PM »
Hopefully next year when the construction is scheduled to be completed things will be better. Having an alleged 116000 people is pretty harsh too in that small area.

Also, wtf is with all the construction? I should know better being from NYC but 11th ave was just a mess. I can't wait for them to finally finish that subway extension so I don't have to either walk half a mile after walking all day at the con or cab it just so I can catch the A downtown.

That said... I did see a killer Coheed acoustic set in the lobby of the Javits while I was searching for cell service.