Author Topic: Hotel Review and Feedback Thread  (Read 83967 times)

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
Re: Hotel Review and Feedback Thread
« Reply #195 on: August 02, 2019, 12:01:50 PM »
HOTEL REVIEW AND FEEDBACK LAYOUT

Name of Hotel:
Manchester Grand Hyatt

Type of Room:
2 full-sized beds

Number of Nights You Stayed:
5 nights (Tuesday -> Sunday)

Year(s) You Stayed There:
2011, 2019

Hotel Review:

* Were there any dining options inside or near the hotel?:
   Sally's & Brew30. I did not eat at either. There are plenty of options nearby

* How was the hotel staff?  Were they polite and courteous?
   Yep, they were quite friendly. I had to interact with them a few times because our room fridge was not functioning, and they were friendly and apologetic, and they made sure to followup and ensure that we did eventually get a replacement fridge.

* Did you order room service?
   No

* Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them?
   There are two pools, one big general pool on the 4th floor, and one smaller "adult" pool on the 3rd with a spa. It was very windy the day I checked out both, so I didn't stay long, but I do like the general pool area, as there are party games set up all around. The "adult" pool is more of a cozy atmosphere.

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels?
   The rooms were average size. There were only two of us, and we had no issues with space, even with all the swag and junk we brought back from SDCC. If there were four of us, then yeah, space would've been tight, especially with the full-sized beds instead of queens.

* If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays?
   Nope.

* How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot?
   On average, 5-10 minute walk to the convention. I should note that a lot of morning lines end at the Marriott (eg. LEGO minifig drawing, Dragonball Exhibit, start of Hall H NDL), so the walk from hotel to get to where I needed to be ended up being shorter than 5-10 minutes. Also, going along the pier side seemed faster than walking down Harbor Blvd, even though technically it's the same distance. I think this is because Harbor Blvd is more crowded, and there's that security bottleneck at 1st St.

* Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)?
   I had zero issues with noise. It was quiet at night, which was great for getting a good night's sleep.

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?
   Yes, with the hotel rewards program (free). The only issue I had was the Chromecast TV setup, as most of my apps on my phone and laptop could not connect to it. I did eventually find one app (AirFlow for the Mac) that could stream my laptop content to the TV.

* Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get?
   I signed up for Hyatt Rewards a few days before heading out to SDCC mainly for the WiFi. I haven't checked out the rewards.

* Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above?
   This year, the lobby was under renovation, so checkin/checkout was actually on a makeshift desk outside on the driveway. It did not cause any inconvenience, but it did take some of the luster off of the hotel.

What did you like about staying at this hotel?
* Proximity to convention center. The first time I stayed here in 2011, I felt it was a long walk to the con. This year, it seemed a lot shorter for some reason. The bonus is that you never had to wait for trains / trolleys to cross to get to / go from the hotel.
* Swag pickup is in one of the ballrooms, making it very convenient for us
* Hotel is just at the edge of the heavy gridlock on Harbor Blvd, so it wasn't ever a problem to hail a Lyft or get dropped off at Hyatt.
* You get a great view of the harbor / city, depending on which way you're facing and how high up you are. Also, I would highly recommend staying in the Harbor Tower (the one closer to the convention center). It somehow feels a lot closer to the con, even though the difference is only a matter of fifty yards or so.
* You get the SDCC-themed keycards

Finally, what didn't you like about staying at this hotel?
* As noted above, our fridge wasn't working, and they didn't immediately have a replacement fridge for us. I do appreciate how they made sure to followup and get us that fridge eventually without us having to call every day.
* For an official SDCC hotel that has SDCC events and rooms within the hotel, I wish there were more decorations, such as themed wallpapers in elevators like in other nearby hotels.
* Toilets don't seem to flush as well as other hotels.

Offline Karilg

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #196 on: August 03, 2019, 11:18:42 PM »
Name of Hotel: Embassy Suites

Type of Room: 2 full beds with a sofa sleeper

Number of Nights You Stayed: 4

Year(s) You Stayed There: 2018-2019

Hotel Review:

* Were there any dining options inside or near the hotel? yes, there is a daily breakfast for the guests. There is also Dunkin donuts/ Baskin robins, and a bar and restaurant combo. Breakfast offers the usual eggs, bacon, sausage, cereal, coffee, and juice along with personalized omelets. In the evening, they offered a free drink during happy hour.

* How was the hotel staff?  Were they polite and courteous? They were nice. 

* Did you order room service? Just for pillows and toilet paper. Came in a timely manner

* Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them? I believe the have both. did not use them. Used the laundry, machines could be cleaned more.  Small rooms on the 11th and 12th floors, only two machines each room.

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels? because its a suite, we had a good amount of space to move around and have our luggage and other con items.

* If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays?  $50 a night, too much to park there!

* How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot? on foot about 10-15 minutes. not in the best physical condition (major back problems) really missed the shuttle!

* Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)? not too bad but the neighbors had a large group and they liked being loud at night.

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?  (Yes or No) yes for Hilton honors

* Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get? yes, perks are free wifi

* Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above?
no celebrity sightings, family hotel. 

-close to cc
-free breakfast
-very roomy
-mini fridge in room
-coffee maker in room
-drinks in the afternoon

Tell us about anything that negatively impacted your stay at this particular hotel that you may not have already mentioned above. 

-no shuttle
-they did some sort of construction in the dining area the first night there. Was noisy until midnight.
-they also had to turn the water off for an hour. So, when I wanted to head back for a lunch break we had to wait for that hour to pass. You can see my previous review to know how much this irks me...
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 11:31:20 PM by Karilg »

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #197 on: Today at 03:04:12 AM »

Offline BHart

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 22
« Reply #197 on: August 06, 2019, 06:33:06 PM »
Name of Hotel:
Manchester Grand Hyatt - Harbor Tower

Type of Room:
One king bed

5 nights

Hotel Review:

* Were there any dining options inside or near the hotel?
There were 2 restaurants at the hotel, but I didn't eat at either. They also had a 'grab and go' station set up near reception which was convenient. There is a shopping area across the street with a Cheesecake Factory and a couple other places to eat. Also a Starbucks, which is nice to be able to grab coffee and a breakfast sandwich on the way to the convention center early in the morning and not have to wait at the long line at the Bayfront Starbucks.

Yes, everyone we came in contact with was nice and polite.

No.

* Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them?
There was a gym, which we didn't use. There were two pools, one of which was an 'adult' pool. We could see the main pool from our room and it looked really cool but we ran out of time to use it.

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels?
I thought the room was of a nice size, slightly larger than your average hotel room. There were only 2 of us staying in the room, with one bed, which may have made it seem roomier.

* If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays?
We didn't drive.

* How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot?
We always walked, and depending on where we were coming from at the convention center, it took 10-15 mins. It was always much faster to walk on the pier side vs Harbor Blvd.

* Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)?
I didn't think the walls were thin at all. It seemed that the people in the next room over were always there when we got back (as evidenced by their 'room is occupied' sign on the door) but we never heard them.

Yes, if you're a member of their rewards program.

* Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get?
Technically yes. I had just downloaded the app and joined the program when I got MGH in the lottery. As this was my first stay, no perks except free wifi. 

The blood drive, premium rooms, and volunteer shirt pick up were all in this hotel, which was very convenient. I found out later (on social media) that the cast of Agents of Shield stayed there, but I didn't see them myself.

- Close to the convention center but still on the far end, so not as busy. Also easier to be picked up/dropped off by Lyft/Uber.
- The view was amazing! We had a view of the harbor and a lot of the bay from the 21st floor.
- Was closer to the end of the Hall H line on Sunday morning (along the pier side) than if we had stayed at any other hotel except MMM.

- Technically not in the Gaslamp. We stayed at Solamar last year and I really enjoyed how close we were to restaurants, nightlife, and the offsites during the day. It's a good 15 minute out-of-the-way walk into most things we wanted to do in the downtown/Gaslamp area.

Offline Sonic77

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 30
« Reply #198 on: August 07, 2019, 06:28:07 PM »
Name of Hotel:
Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown

Type of Room:
One king bed

5 nights

Hotel Review:

Little Italy is literally right behind the hotel so would stop by there and grab a bite to eat in order to get away from the crowds.  Ironside was one of our favorite stops, best seafood.

Yes, everyone was extremely nice and helpful.

No.

Gym and pool but didn't use any of them.

Room was a good size, it was just my gf and I staying in the room so had no issues.

The hotel charges $30 a night for parking.

We took the Trolley most of the time which was about a 5-10 minute ride to and from the hotel.  The days we did walk due to the Trolley being too full it took us about 25 minutes to walk back.

Walls seemed good didn't hear anyone next door however I would hear the train on occasion.

Yes

Yes, just free water bottles but was a new member to Hilton Rewards

No

- Quick ride when taking the trolley
- Free morning breakfast buffet, would also take food with me in order to get in line faster
- Fresh baked cookies in the evening

- A long walk to and from the convention center when the trolley was too full to take
- Can still hear trains on occasion at night

Offline Dune930

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 42
« Reply #199 on: August 08, 2019, 07:34:00 PM »
Name of Hotel:  Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown

Type of Room: 1 king

Number of Nights You Stayed: 3

Year(s) You Stayed There: 2019

Hotel Review:

A cafe inside the hotel which featured a very nice breakfast buffet.

* How was the hotel staff?  Were they polite and courteous?  Very nice hotel staff.

Nope

* Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them? There was a nice looking pool, but I didn't use it. Hotel very, very nice, but I was focused on CC activities to take advantage of hotel amenities.

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels? My 1 king was spacious and quite lovely! I was there by myself. I was in a room that could have been part of a suite if friends/family were in the next room. So it had a door, which was locked, to go to the next room. However, the couple in the next room, a male and female, they were very loud talkers at night. So loud that when they came back to the hotel at 12:15am, they were so loud in talking about their day they woke me up and I had to call to the front desk to have them call that room and tell them to STFU. Front desk immediately did that, and the noise quieted down. So if I stay at this hotel next time, I'll make sure to ask for a room that is not part of a suite so I don't have to hear loud/drunk talking in middle of the night.

* If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays? Upon check in, I was told it was $30 a night, for the 3 days I would be there. Unfortunately, I assumed that parking was included, so that annoyed me off, but, oh well. However, when I checked out, they only charged me for 2 days, so I was able to save $30. Maybe it was a mistake, but I didn't complain.  Parking was safe and secure at hotel.

* How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot? Hotel was along the Pink shuttle line. Since I'm a walker and I wanted to explore, it was only a 28 minute walk from hotel to CC. But 28 mins may be too long for others who aren't healthy enough to walk that distance or too lazy. I never got on the shuttle. It was estimated that shuttle trip would be 30 mins. No brainer to walk.

* Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)? As referenced above, my first night was quiet. Second night, big mouth lady stood next to locked 'suite' door. She was also loud the 3rd night, but I turned on tv to drown her out until I fell asleep. Request room that does not have a shared suite door, too thin to block noise from next room. You can hear people talking out in the hallway as they went into/left their room. Some people just speak loud.

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?  (Yes or No) yes.

* Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get? No, not a member, but they have a perks program.

* Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above? Room looked recently renovated, I really enjoyed the pleasant, modern appearance of the hotel.  No celebrities, but I'm sure some may have stayed there to have some distance from craziness.

Good price for a downtown hotel. If you're a walker, this hotel is in an excellent location. Staff was exceptional, they were really happy to host CC attendees. Comfortable bed! I will have this hotel on my top 5 list next year for the lottery again. This hotel was my second choice.

Shower water pressure was lower than I prefer.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 07:36:29 PM by Dune930 »

Offline Roybq

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 31
« Reply #200 on: July 25, 2022, 08:29:19 PM »
Name of Hotel: Hilton Bayfront

Type of Room: (2 queen size beds - City/Bay View) Overlooked Hall H Line!

Number of Nights You Stayed: 6

Year(s) You Stayed There: 2022

Hotel Review:

There were a couple of restaurants inside, but we didn't eat at them because they seemed expensive. Who pays $80 for a taco? On the plus side there is a great Frozen yogurt place and a Starbucks (when they're not on strike.) There's also a food truck outside with much cheaper tacos.

* How was the hotel staff? 
The hotel staff was great! We had 3 separate reservations and the desk combined them into one reservation with a room upgrade.

* Did you order room service? No.

* Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them? No. There was a pool though!

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably
?  It was a pretty good sized room with a huge window overlooking the convention center. The window shades really made the room 100% dark which was great for sleeping, but bad for my toes if I got up in the middle of the night.

* If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays? Did not park.

* How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot? A minute or two after exiting the hotel. It's literally right there.

* Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)? I never heard any noise from the other rooms, but you could hear outside noise.

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?  (Yes or No) Yes, but join Hilton Honors for better WiFi. It's free!

* Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get? Hilton Honors for points and better WiFi.

* Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above? I'm glad they settled their strike before Thursday. We were awoken Wednesday morning at 6 am by a person on the bullhorn and chanting from hotel workers. I couldn't have put up with that another day.  The workers were great and I 100% supported them, but the Hilton should've work better to negotiate to avoid an uncomfortable situation for their guests.

100% the best thing was the location.  I've stayed at Gaslamp hotels and getting to the convention center always took longer because of crowds and trains. I liked leaving the room and being inside the convention center within minutes.  The room location was great because I could look at that H-Hall line before deciding to join it or not. We could also watch and hear the concerts at Rady Shell, complete with fireworks! It was also great for Indigo panels. I liked being able to exit the room and be in  my room upstairs within minutes.  It was also a great place to see celebrities. We saw the casts of Ghosts and a few others in the lobby.

The worst thing was staying there during the strike. It made the day it happened uncomfortable as a guest.  The other thing that I didn't like was having to request room service instead of just getting it at least every other day. We stayed for 6 days and things got pretty dirty over that time and our garbages were pretty full.

Offline Nyjin

• Room 6BCF
  • Sleeping at Panels
  • Liked: 139
« Reply #201 on: July 25, 2022, 09:31:20 PM »
Name of Hotel: Hilton Gaslamp

Type of Room:
2 Double Beds

Number of Nights You Stayed: 5 Nights (Wed-Monday)

Hotel Review: I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Hilton Gaslamp, with the advantages definitely outweighing any possible disadvantages. A quick Pro-Con list:

Pros:
-Incredibly close to the Convention Center, being right across the trolley tracks.
-Staff was mostly helpful, courteous, and professional with one small exception.
-Rooms were modern, clean, with consistent housekeeping.

Cons:
-Required a room key just to enter the lobby. I understand why, but it was a hassle.
-Room had several small issues (AC was finnicky, bathroom door was awkwardly placed to room entrance)
-One night had a party that lasted all night (Walking Dead), but was nowhere near as loud as Hard Rock

I would say the major benefits of staying at the Hilton Gaslamp were the helpful staff and the prime location. Being able to walk to your hotel room from the Exhibit Hall floor in around 5 minutes was very convenient. House of the Dragon had their offsite directly outside the lobby doors, so that was also fun. The bellhops were super friendly and accommodating, and most of the front desk staff I interacted with were nice as well. I only had an issue with one staff member who wouldn't let me in despite having my room number, name, and payment method on file.

There were possible celebrity sightings, since House of the Dragon's cast showed up at the offsite outside and The Walking Dead hosted their party at our hotel. However, I didn't recognize any of them personally. While I didn't use many amenities like the pool or dining, they seemed reasonably high quality for a Hilton property. Free WiFi was also available, but the parking situation was slightly awkward as the loading area was rather small. No onsite parking available outside of Valet.

Overall, I would definitely stay at the Hilton Gaslamp and would recommend it to anyone. The staff and location make it a great location to stay at for the Con.

Offline jnyama

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 27
« Reply #202 on: July 25, 2022, 09:58:16 PM »

Name of Hotel:
Holiday Inn San Diego Bayside

Type of Room: (Did your room have 1 king-sized bed, 2 full-sized beds, or another type of bed?  Did you have a suite?)
2 queen beds

Year(s) You Stayed There: (Type in the actual year: 2012, 2013, 2014, etc.)

Hotel Review:

If "Yes," tell us about the restaurants and type of food they had (if you remember).
There was a restaurant in the parking lot of the hotel--Point Loma Cafe--but I didn't eat there.  Other than that, there were beverage vending machines by the ice machines, and one of those closet-mini-store type things in the lobby.

They were very nice.  I had to change rooms when I first got there, and they sent someone to give me new keys and help me with my luggage to the new room, instead of making me trek all over by myself.

If yes, tell us if you had a good or bad experience with room service.
No.

I didn't actually seek any of them out.

I was by myself, and the room was a reasonable size although the bathroom was a little small.  I think it would have been a little tight for more than 2 people.

$18.  There was street parking--apparently, the big bayside lots across the street used to be free, but the staff said in the last couple of years ACE put up payment boxes for them.  I think I probably could have found parking in front of the hotel but just happened to always find a spot right in front of the door outside the elevator that was right by my room, and I was seduced by the convenience.

I drove, and it took around 15 minutes to get to the convention center, but often took another 10-15 minutes to get through the traffic on the last block to where they let you through the closed-off street to the Convention Center parking. 

I don't remember hearing anything, but I sleep like the dead.

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?  (Yes or No)
Yes.

Yes.  I am actually a platinum member because I have their credit card, and I believe I was given a choice of a free drink at the bar or extra points.  I don't drink, so I took the points.  They did not upgrade me.

I feel confident in saying there were no celebrities at the Holiday Inn San Diego Bayside.

Easy to get in and out
Minimal traffic directly around the hotel
One of the cheapest of the hotels within ~5miles of the convention center ($221)
Parking was relatively inexpensive compared to most of the other SDCC hotels and convenient to my room
Staff was nice
Not too far from an In n'Out that was open late
Refrigerator worked really well!  The back got cold enough that it kept my ice frozen for the next day!
AC worked well also--kept the room cool and didn't shut off with no movement, as some hotel AC does.

The first room I was given smelled like cigarette smoke, covered (poorly) with deodorant spray--I had to request a change after being in it for a bit.
Furnishings were on the older side
No housekeeping except by request
Was not able to get a room in the newly-renovated tower connected to reception
Commute to the convention center took longer than hoped as traffic slowed down going by the airport and along various construction projects on the direct route over
Neighborhood felt a little sketchy, although I did not see anything worrisome while I was there

Despite all that, I would consider staying there again, mostly because the parking was so easy and it was cheaper than almost all of the alternatives.

Offline beadrbop

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 86
« Reply #203 on: July 26, 2022, 08:41:08 PM »

Name of Hotel:

Hard Rock

Type of Room: (Did your room have 1 king-sized bed, 2 full-sized beds, or another type of bed?  Did you have a suite?)
2 Queen Sized Beds

Hotel Review:

(Here are some questions to get you started as you think about your hotel stay during Comic-Con.  Again, you can answer all or some of these questions to help you write your hotel feedback comments.)

If "Yes," tell us about the restaurants and type of food they had (if you remember).

Nobu which was reserved out way in advanced and we had booked dinner there for Saturday night. It is always great food. Also Maryjanes.  We ate there when we arrived and also another time. Good food (yes it gets upcharged for SDCC) Also had room service one night. Menu was limited but food was good. 19% service fee plus $4 delivery fee (it came in a brown paper bag)

Polite but they did not seem ready to deal with the SDCC crowds. (Saw long lines at check ins)

Business center looked nice but did not use
Gym was great had a nice selection of machines and had towels available (yes I used the facility and was happy with it)

The bed frame does stick out and yes it could be a hazard hitting your foot on it. The room felt small. In comparison there was a lot of empty space in the bathroom that could have been used where the beds were located. The fridge is packed with their waters/snacks and liquor so it’s a pain if you want to store any food in there. The curtain would not close all the way so light would bleed through

My main issue was with the room location- directly above the loading dock. So during the con trucks would unload their loads all night long (usually from 8 pm through 3 am) The back up beeping of the trucks drove me crazy. The bed was comfortable but it was impossible to stay asleep due to the noise.

Quick walk to the convention center.

Noisy room for sure. The hallway outside our door was a main walkway for the staff so I could hear the security guard radios at 5 am.

Yes.  10mbps for 4 devices in room. The posted speed is no where near what you actually get (did a test and it was more like 2 mbps) Might not be an issue but I had trouble getting photos to upload to agency so I had to use my cell phone hotspot. They had a paid version I was able to get before the con started that allowed 6 devices which helped. Once SDCC started only the free version was available.

No. The rewards program did not seem to work for this location

The hotel security would not allow us to use the elevator that was closest for our room due to celebrities needing to be escorted to their rooms on the higher floors. The other elevators did not really get us to our room easily. It was like a maze and had to have a maid help us out. (Had to go through a few doors that were really just for the crew aka workers).

Since you might have already wrote about it from the questions above, just make a quick list about the things you liked the most about your stay at this particular hotel.

Location is great. The bed was super comfortable. (Only issue was not being able to stay asleep due to the noise)

Tell us about anything that negatively impacted your stay at this particular hotel that you may not have already mentioned above. 

The room was small and was starting to show it’s age of wear and tear. The bathroom mirror had a crack at the bottom. There was a section of the shower where they had to regrout due to damage. The closet stuck out of wall and did not go to the floor so I could not hang up a dress without it getting all wrinkled on the bottom.

Had to pay $15 for replacing a lost key. Never had that happen at another hotel ever. What bothered me the most was how it felt they thought we were not worthy since we were not celebrities. That really bugged me. Studios with deep pockets seem to be their main focus. The staff was pretty nice. One gifted me with some cool pins when he heard about the bad room location (I looked like I had not slept in years by then lol)

Great location but if you have any issues with noise sensitivity definitely not the place to stay. Truly grateful to the friend that got us the room since I did not get anything in the hotel lotto. All in all if I had a better room location things would have been different for sure. I know I should have complained earlier but by the time the noise became an issue it was too late (the hotel of course was completely sold out so I was just trying to live through it)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 09:12:43 PM by beadrbop »

Offline MochiMonster

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 23
« Reply #204 on: July 28, 2022, 11:28:14 AM »
Name of Hotel: Hotel Indigo

Type of Room: 2 queen beds

Hotel Review:

Yes, there was a restaurant in the lobby and and a rooftop bar. There were also restaurants within a 1 block radius, so there
   were a lot of dining options.

* How was the hotel staff?
   Hotel staff were polite and courteous, no issues at all. We ran low on bath products during our stay and the front desk had
   extras right in the lobby.

No

There was a fitness center on the ground floor. We didn't use it but it included cardio equipment and weights. No pool.

The room was a comfortable size, maybe even a little larger than usual. But we were also placed in an ADA-accessible room.

$55/night, valet only

No shuttle or trolley service. It took about 8-10 min to walk to SDCC at a casual pace.

No issues with street noise, but we could occasionally hear some sounds from the adjacent rooms.

Yes

Yes, no additional perks.

I really liked how it was a quick walk to SDCC and also Petco Park. I've stayed at the Big 6 before and appreciated how Hotel Indigo was a little quieter while still being only a few blocks away from SDCC and offsites. The Dungeons and Dragons offsite was pretty close!

The water pressure was a little low, but it was more than adequate and the shower was nice and large.

Offline Mistborn

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #205 on: July 28, 2022, 12:17:57 PM »
Name of Hotel:
Westin San Diego (400 W Broadway)

Type of Room:
One king bed

5 nights

Hotel Review:

There was a small coffee shop and a bar with some food options.

They were nice! We hate at the bar and I told the bar tender what I liked to drink and he whipped something up for me

No.

I though the gym was alright. Minimal equipment, but I wasn’t there to do my workout routine. Once the Con started, I barely even thought about it.

I think it was a reasonable size. But there were just 2 of us in the room

We didn't drive.

We did a lot of walking. The bus took us to the far end of the bus loading zone near the convention center, so if we were going to the Marriott Bayfront, Hyatt or A entrance of the Convention center itself, it was just faster to walk, especially if we just missed the bus. The bus ride did take about 15-20 min to get from our hotel to the center, and that is really how long it took us to walk it. Unless our feet were tired or we had a lot to carry, walking did make sense. If you were going to the Hyatt, it wasn’t even worth the bus. You could cut through a dog park and be there in 10, way less than the bus ride plus long walk from the bus area to the Hyatt Manchester.

I didn’t hear anyone which was nice!

Yes. Freeeeeee

No

Everything was very relaxing

The bus was really easy to get to, and it was never crowded. We kept hearing stories about crowded buses from other Con goers but we did not experience this.

I didn’t like that it was as far away as it was, but that is not the fault of the hotel. It was .8 miles away and a nice walk to the convention center, but let’s be real, anything not the Omni, Hyatt Manchester, Hilton Bayfront, or Marriott Bayfront is basically too far away  ;D

Offline rallyv

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 87
« Reply #206 on: July 28, 2022, 04:23:21 PM »
Name of Hotel:
Omni San Diego (675 L Street)

1 king-sized bed

5 nights

2022 (though I've stayed at the hotel for many years previously)

Hotel Review:

Yes, they have a to-go area with premade food (sandwiches and other to go options) that's open during the day and a full service bar with restaurant for the evenings. The restaurant's menu was extremely limited during comic con with only a handful of dishes available. I don't remember all of them but I do remember stuffed shell mac and cheese, a cheeseburger and I believe tacos. None of them were under $25/dish but depending on appetites, they're more than easy to share.

Hotel staff is top notch. From check in to check out I always had pleasant experiences with the employees.

No

Hotel has both gym and pool and hot tub. I didn't use the gym but I did use both the pool and hot tub. The pool area has a great view of Hall H and the tents of the convention center and while I saw other people using both, neither was ever so full I couldn't find room to soak. Towels are available there as well.

Room was spacious with enough room to comfortably have both my wife and I as well as all our purchases and act as a staging area for a friend of ours. I never felt cramped in the room no matter how much stuff I put in there.

Drove and parked. Only option is valet at a cost of $55/night.

Took minutes to get across the street by foot.

It's relatively easy to hear the din of the gaslamp considering the hotel is in the thick of things. Friday and Saturday nights can get especially noisy. Most years we've never had an issue with the noise but this year someone in one of the rooms around us was throwing a loud party and playing music all night on Friday which kept us up.

WiFi is available for free to members of their loyalty program with an optional upgrade of $5/night for "better" internet. I opted for the better internet but during the day it's next to unusable and well beyond saturated. This usually starts around 7 in the morning and becomes usable again around 8 at night.

Rewards program is free to join and at the base level, the level I have, you get a free drink from their cafe (juice or coffee) every day as well as base internet.

They used to provide a bunch of daily amenities including a sewing kit, shampoo/conditioner, and body wash. They have since cut back on that and no longer provide the repair kit and their soaps are all mounted dispensers in the shower. Also the bathroom is a "farm door" that slides and never makes and never provides "complete privacy" in that there's always a gap that can be peeked through. The farm door also keeps there from being a lock.

Since my last stay, they have also upgraded their TV systems to Chromecast compatible. Setting up the casting ability was simple and allowed me to stream video apps from my laptop to the tv.

Roll away beds are available at the hotel but at a $25/night extra cost (when available, they go fast).

- The bed is extremely comfortable and the extra room is really nice. It also has a platform base which makes it much easier to make sure nothing travels under it.
- There's room for a sitting chair with ottoman and tiny table as well, both of which are very nice.
- The night tables both had 2 electrical outlets which made it very convenient for overnight charging of devices.

- I cannot stress how frustrating the internet can be. It absolutely is not made for a hotel full of people "connected" people. The walls are thick enough too that during the day, cell signal for internet can be spotty too.
- The former restaurant, McCormick and Schmitt's, closed during covid and while the new restaurant was ok, the offerings were dire as well as expensive. It was good but definitely probably better to venture into the Gaslamp for food.
- As mentioned, normally the windows are probably fine for filtering sound, during con, it just doesn't cut it. The gaslamp dies down most of the time enough to get to sleep but it can be an issue.
- One of the days we were there, when using the elevator, it got a mind of its own and wouldn't move, then moved in the wrong direction, and stranded everyone in it on a floor no one pressed for. It was more than a little frustrating with hands full of stuff.
- Speaking of elevators, they recently upgraded and forced everyone to badge in to call the elevator on the first floor. The sign inside the elevators said it should only be for overnights but that was never the case. Again, this is very frustrating when your hands are full of stuff.
- Valet keeps going up in price every year. I never moved my car but still had to pay an extra $275 just to keep it there.
- It wasn't a problem this year but because of location and other factors, they tend to be used for industry parties which do and will cut off your access to the pool and hot tub.
- This was our first year staying in a room that was behind one of the hotel wraps. It can ruin any photos you wish to take and definitely ruined the view as if you get to close to the window, your eyes can have problems focusing through it.

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #207 on: July 28, 2022, 07:06:22 PM »
Name of Hotel: Omni San Diego

Type of Room: 1 king-sized bed

Number of Nights You Stayed:5

Year(s) You Stayed There: 2022 (Have stayed there the past few cons)

Hotel Review:

A casual order at the counter type restaurant with grab and go options (and sit down options, too). They had breakfast and lunch offerings. You could eat in the adjoining area with tables. It was a little pricey.
The in house restaurant changed from McCormick & Schmick's to WEST COAST SOCIAL.
Close to ballpark - so lots of eateries around. Especially City Tacos and Lucky's Lunch Counter

Very much so.

No

No

We had a pretty big room. The bathroom was huge.

Did not drive.

Super convenient to the convention center, Petco Interactive and HBF (via pedestrian bridge)

We were on the end, so we only had people on one side, but never heard anyone (except the dog in someone's room, but he was pretty loud)

Yes

Yes - Gold (lowest).
Complimentary Wi-Fi service
Discounted premium Wi-Fi service (our desk clerk said it was free, but we used the standard because of this one)
Express check-out
Service of Loyalty Ambassador - this was nice. Was able to text when we needed amenities

If it's your second stay (or more):
Daily Beverage (AM and PM options)
Bottled water at check-in
Complimentary pressing of two items per stay (didn't use)
Complimentary shoe shine per stay (didn't use)

When we texted for more tp and tissues, we also got towels. This made my husband laugh because I have "extra towels in my profile as a standard request". It irks me that we stay as a couple, and get three towels - why not four? There were actually extra towels on arrival.
I think the WB stars stayed there, given all of the limos lined up Saturday morning w/WB VIP in the window, but we never saw them.

- close location to the convention center
- had great customer service (so many towels LOL)
- close to a lot of restaurants

Edit: will echo the complaints about the sliding door to the bathroom. Awkward if staying with others. Also - the plug situation is weird. There were enough, but some were loose and in an awkward place. I guess I'm used to the ones in the lamp base, and the availability of USB plugs. Not a deal breaker, but worth mentioning.
We do love it there though!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 06:41:00 AM by Angology »
Ang

Offline chachime45

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 61
« Reply #208 on: July 29, 2022, 03:50:38 PM »
Name of Hotel: Manchester Grand Hyatt

Type of Room: Two double beds

Hotel Review:

* Were there any dining options inside or near the hotel? Yes, but I only used the grab-and-go once for a $4 Diet Pepsi.

* How was the hotel staff?  Were they polite and courteous? Polite and super-helpful.

* Did you order room service? No but I never do.

* Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them? I didn't but my kids did and they loved the pool.

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels? About average, nothing special.

* If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays? I was told at the desk that $30 a night was the con rate for self-parking.

* How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot? It doesn't look that far but it's five minutes at best, more likely 10 dealing with a crowd.

* Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)? Didn't hear a peep out of my neighbors.

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?  Yeppers.

* Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get? Not a member but another member of my group was (I had two rooms) and I let them have the points.

* Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above? Saw a couple of minor celebrities but I wasn't looking too hard.

It's a really nice hotel and the location is pretty good.
We enjoyed Seaport Village out back as a quick break from the con craziness.
Everything was clean and we wanted for nothing.

That walk at the end of the day was longer than I wanted it to be ... I stayed at MMM a few years back and I would take that hotel any time over this one for Comic Con. Honestly I'm really reaching for something to complain about, this was a great experience.

Offline Dianekde

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #209 on: July 30, 2022, 10:04:00 PM »

Name of Hotel:
Horton Grand
(Note:  not an official SDCC hotel this year.  I don’t know why, but they do have new owners)

Type of Room:   1 Queen bed

Hotel Review:

The hotel has a bar/restaurant called Salt and Whisky. It serves breakfast in the morning and snacks later. It was once owned by the hotel, but now has separate ownership and only takes credit cards.

They were fine.  I mostly interacted with the bartenders at Salt and Whiskey, who knew my name by the end of my stay.

No. They didn’t have it.  If they had, I still wouldn’t have ordered it.

No amenities like that

This is a historic hotel with very high ceilings. My room was of decent size and I was alone.  The bathroom is small, though.

No car for me.

It is just a short walk to the CC, but very convenient to the Gaslamp. . 

Very quiet.

Yes.

No. I don’t think they have one.

Even though many guests were attending SDCC, it doesn’t have the hustle and bustle of many con hotels. That was good.

I love historic hotels. The location is close to everything, but on a street with little traffic, particularly since the Fluxx nightclub across the street closed down during Covid.

I like that I could reserve outside the lottery.

It was expensive. I reserved before the hotel lottery and would have canceled if I had gotten a good hotel in the lottery. I didn’t and I missed the good hotels that opened up on the waiting list for “life” reasons. But, I have no regrets.  As a bit of commentary, I don’t mind hotels like this being available to people like me who hate the lottery and are willing to pay extra for certainty.

I wish they would have had a Bluetooth speaker in the room. I like to play my summer mix in the background, but couldn’t.

I didn’t have a fridge, though my frien did in her room.