Author Topic: San Diego Convention Center Expansion  (Read 166552 times)

Offline rando

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 291
Re: San Diego Convention Center Expansion
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2012, 02:25:17 PM »
Yah, absolutely!  I may be cynical but I think the rooftop park may not make it...I believe with projects like these parks "sell" to the public and I wouldn't rule out a "bait and switch" scenario (wow I am so skeptical!).   :D  Anyways on these images from the same site there appears to be a white tower at the end of Hall H (maybe where the triangle park is now?).  I wonder if this is the Bayfront Hilton addition I've heard about?  If so, it's a coup for Hilton!

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2012, 05:11:33 PM »
I'm just glad this is proceeding forward!

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 12:19:45 PM »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2012, 12:43:32 PM »

SDCC to stay in SD till 2016
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline kappolo

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2012, 02:25:57 PM »
SDCC to stay in SD till 2016
Good news!

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2012, 04:22:55 PM »
It's only a 1 year extension. I'm guessing they did that because it allows the city one more year to get the convention center expansion done.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2012, 08:30:56 PM »
It's only a 1 year extension. I'm guessing they did that because it allows the city one more year to get the convention center expansion done.

yeah, that is my thinking too
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline rando

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 291
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2012, 09:59:02 PM »

It might be only a year more but I think the timing of the announcement is an encouraging sign.  The convention center expansion process is at a crucial phase and even a one year extension agreement I think signals the commitment of both CCI and the city of San Diego to keep the Con here long term.  2016 is an optimistic projection for the expansion opening so I think adding that extra year at this point (a year earlier than the last time they extended in 2010 for 2013-2015) shows me that the powers that be all want to be here in San Diego in case all goes to plan.  It was a pleasant surprise for me!  :D

Offline Beowulf

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2012, 11:41:15 PM »
I for one hope they nix the roof-top park from the plans! I don't really see it as working towards the goal of more "convention-floor" space. It's really more of a designer dream than anything else, IMO. There is plenty of park space around the convention center (i.e. batmobile parking lot)

Another thing I would like to see is a cancellation of the Summer Pops concert that was happening at the same time as the con this year. What a waste of valuable space during a time when space is so critical for the convention to remain. The Summer Pops happens on weekends over a (roughly) 2-month+ period, so putting it off for one weekend to hold the city's largest event seems like a no-brainer.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 08:10:10 PM by Beowulf »

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2012, 07:11:10 AM »
Perhaps I am mistaken, but it was my impression that the lawn area in front of the Hilton (where the Batmobiles were this year) is part of the space that will be used by the expansion... so there will be no more 'park' area there. I believe that is why they want the 'rooftop park': to make up for taking away the current 'green' areas.

If I am in error, please feel free to correct my understanding.

Offline Beowulf

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2012, 08:27:14 PM »
Perhaps I am mistaken, but it was my impression that the lawn area in front of the Hilton (where the Batmobiles were this year) is part of the space that will be used by the expansion... so there will be no more 'park' area there. I believe that is why they want the 'rooftop park': to make up for taking away the current 'green' areas.

If I am in error, please feel free to correct my understanding.

I stand corrected! :-X After looking at the expansion plans again, it definitely does appear that the area will now become part of the expanded center. Sorry, it had been a while since I looked at the expansion plans.

Offline Mario_c

• Ballroom 20
  • Comedian, Comic Book Writer, Fashionisto
    • My Links
  • Liked: 53
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2012, 07:34:26 PM »
The plans for the expansion might get delayed and reworked because new data suggests that the whole harbor area could face major flooding in the next 38-88 years due to climate change.

:-\

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2012, 07:43:19 AM »
Very interesting! I know I've heard many predictions about the rise of sea level in the SF Bay Area as well.

I guess that expansion will have to be built on top of 20 foot pylons! ;)

Offline Sprzout

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2013, 08:42:50 PM »
I for one hope they nix the roof-top park from the plans! I don't really see it as working towards the goal of more "convention-floor" space. It's really more of a designer dream than anything else, IMO. There is plenty of park space around the convention center (i.e. batmobile parking lot)

Another thing I would like to see is a cancellation of the Summer Pops concert that was happening at the same time as the con this year. What a waste of valuable space during a time when space is so critical for the convention to remain. The Summer Pops happens on weekends over a (roughly) 2-month+ period, so putting it off for one weekend to hold the city's largest event seems like a no-brainer.

In previous years, they have done Comic-Con themed pops concerts. I want to say that in 2012 (or maybe 2011?) they did a movie concert, where they had things like the theme song from Superman, Also Sprach Zarathustra (which most people will recognize as the opening theme to 2001: A Space Odyssey)...there was also a video game concert that they had there, where they played symphonics from Legend of Zelda, Super Mario Bros, and more. I don't see a reason to nix it...

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2013, 04:53:23 PM »
A ruling is expected this week on whether or not the additional hotel tax (to fund the expansion) is 'legal'. If it is found to be legal, construction may proceed (unless the people protesting it make an appeal).

Sigh...  The legal process in this country is interminable....

Offline Vapors

• Ballroom 20
  • 1999-current
  • Liked: 268
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2013, 01:41:20 PM »
Just read an update on this.

Although its likely an appeal will come soon that could delay any ground breaking.  Still, as a reminder, Comic Con has a contract to stay with the city until 2016 so even a slight delay would probably not deter SDCC from staying.  I'm hopeful that this will be resolved and we can confirm Comic Con will stay for a long time in San Diego.