Author Topic: Tips/Advice for First Timers and Veterans  (Read 245018 times)

Offline JKingoftheNerds

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 145
Re: Tips/Advice for First Timers and Veterans
« Reply #675 on: March 01, 2019, 11:45:23 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Speaking of feet, do not what I did at my first SDCC way back in the day... wear flip flops. My excuse was, I didn't know the scale of SDCC (it was much smaller back then, but still bigger than anything I'd ever experienced), and I had no idea how much walking I'd be doing. Ended up with bloody feet at the end of the day. Now, not only do I wear comfortable shoes, but also padded running socks. Even then, I'd still end up with sore feet on some days.

Speaking of feet (x2), I would also HIGHLY recommend getting good socks for the Con. Socks that absorb sweat, work comfortably in your shoes, and keep your feet cool can make all the difference. I'm a big fan of Bombas socks for that reason. They're a little pricey but they're super worth it.

Offline Kmd2103

• Gaming Lounge
  • I don't like...I obsess
  • Liked: 83
« Reply #676 on: March 01, 2019, 06:31:37 PM »
Speaking of feet (x2), I would also HIGHLY recommend getting good socks for the Con. Socks that absorb sweat, work comfortably in your shoes, and keep your feet cool can make all the difference. I'm a big fan of Bombas socks for that reason. They're a little pricey but they're super worth it.
Good socks is a great tip! I also personally bring 3 pairs of shoes; 2 comfortable sneakers and 1 pair of broken-in sandals. I alternate the sneakers each day, and switch to my sandals at night when my feet are swollen and I am not walking as much! A friend of mine also swears by body glide on feet to prevent blisters!
SDCC 2013-2018 #gameofthrones #netflixoriginals #sherlocked

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #677 on: Today at 06:53:52 AM »

Offline mellyreid

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #677 on: March 03, 2019, 05:45:51 PM »
Awesome, thank you. LMAO about the steaming a shirt in the hotel rooms. Great to know. How many things are usually going on offsite and what kind of things do people do there?

You are in the right place! Our first trip in 2017, I didn’t run into any surprises during the convention (aside from setting off the fire alarm at the Westin trying to steam the wrinkles from a shirt. DO NOT USE STEAM in your hotel rooms). That was without a doubt thanks to the members of this group. So many were helpful, but a special shoutout to [member=5606]tsnyder[/member], [member=314]Transmute Jun[/member], and [member=4801]BenEatsRice[/member]!

My own personal advice is commit to whatever you plan on doing everyday. We were new, and grew a little impatient waiting in line for the GoT offsite for 5 hours. So we jumped out of line and tried to get into the Stranger Things exhibit only to find the line for that was equally as long. End result, we just gave up and got lunch before heading back to the convention center. So, if it is important to you to see a particular exhibit/offsite, then just get comfortable and make some new friends in the line!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JKingoftheNerds

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 145
« Reply #678 on: March 03, 2019, 09:24:39 PM »
Awesome, thank you. LMAO about the steaming a shirt in the hotel rooms. Great to know. How many things are usually going on offsite and what kind of things do people do there?

Ooh, honestly, there are so many offsites it's hard to estimate a figure. 20? More? I'll put it this way--there are enough that many people who don't even have SDCC badges come to town just for the offsites, and there's more than enough of those to keep them busy during the whole con. It runs the gamut from things like immersive experiences put on by networks to promote shows and movies, to art/memorabilia exhibits, to things like the Conan Show taping before a live audience. And more. I'd recommend keeping an eye on the offsite forum here and checking the blogs (SDCCblog for example) for announcements and descriptions of the offsites that will be there this year. Some require registration ahead of time, so if you see any that interest you, sign up as soon as you see the announcement.

Offline geargirl

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #679 on: March 18, 2019, 05:41:25 PM »
Hey - Don't know if this is right place to post (I am more of a lurker since I am shy) this but I need some advice.

My son is way into Sam Raimi Spider Man. For those that are also interested in this what would you suggest are things I should check out to get him this year? I love to buy presents at Comic Con. Although last year I bought patches for everyone for Christmas and hid them so well that I never found them!

Geargirl

Offline NoNoNuni

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 36
« Reply #680 on: April 09, 2019, 12:27:39 PM »
Try not to stress to hard about party planning. Plans might fall through, tickets might not happen. The Gaslamp has plenty of places to post up with a drink and mingle/people watch. (Seriously. Even just the bar in the Hilton Bayfront if you're reeeeally tuckered out)

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #681 on: April 10, 2019, 05:22:02 PM »
Hey - Don't know if this is right place to post (I am more of a lurker since I am shy) this but I need some advice.

My son is way into Sam Raimi Spider Man. For those that are also interested in this what would you suggest are things I should check out to get him this year? I love to buy presents at Comic Con. Although last year I bought patches for everyone for Christmas and hid them so well that I never found them!

Geargirl

Sorry for the late reply! one idea would be to go look for prints in Artists' Alley and the Small Press area. There might not be anything specifically related to the Raimi movies but with the success of Into the Spiderverse  there more be more Spider-man (Spider-people?) items that usual. Plus those places are always great to check out.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #682 on: June 21, 2019, 03:25:14 PM »
Bumping now that we're one month away.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #683 on: June 24, 2019, 12:06:39 AM »
In order to be one of the first people that get in at the exhibit hall on the first day on thursday, how early do you recommend to arrive to do the line until the opening at 09:30 am?

Thanks in advance!

[member=1075]Knight-Industries131082[/member]  please do not double post. You posted this exact question in another thread. Also, this is the kind of topic that we discourage discussing on the forum as it increases line times for everyone.

Anyone who wishes to respond to this question, please PM Knight Industries directly.

Offline Knight-Industries131082

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #684 on: June 24, 2019, 07:25:21 AM »
[member=1075]Knight-Industries131082[/member]  please do not double post. You posted this exact question in another thread. Also, this is the kind of topic that we discourage discussing on the forum as it increases line times for everyone.

Anyone who wishes to respond to this question, please PM Knight Industries directly.

I left one post on the other thread and removed the one in here, sorry for the inconvenience.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #685 on: June 24, 2019, 08:57:41 AM »
I left one post on the other thread and removed the one in here, sorry for the inconvenience.

Thank you for understanding!

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #686 on: July 08, 2019, 04:16:36 PM »

Remember at comic con is, everyone is out to help you have a great experience! Security and volunteers aren’t purposely confusing, a lot of times they just aren’t brought up to speed on things or only work 1-2 shifts. Things change HOURLY during con sometimes! #themoreyouknow

Offline Mistborn

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #687 on: November 17, 2020, 12:06:19 PM »
IM so glad this thread is a thing! These are great! Already looking forward to SDCC 2021!

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #688 on: May 06, 2022, 10:40:31 PM »
Bump

Offline Mistborn

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #689 on: May 08, 2022, 03:01:48 PM »