Author Topic: Hotel Review and Feedback Thread  (Read 84081 times)

Offline sweetiepiepen

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 11
Re: Hotel Review and Feedback Thread
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2016, 05:25:55 PM »
Name of Hotel: The Westgate Hotel

Type of Room: 2 queen beds

Number of Nights You Stayed:  6 nights

Year(s) You Stayed There: 2015

Hotel Review:

* Were there any dining options inside or near the hotel?
   Yes, restaurants in the hotel and room service available

* How was the hotel staff?  Staff was very polite and helpful

* Did you order room service?
  Loved the room service! Food was delicious, service was quick. Rates were on par with a full service Marriott hotel.

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  The room and bathroom were relatively large.  Felt like a suite.  Two beds, desk and chair, armoire, table, vanity outside the bathroom, etc.

* How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot?  Shuttle took less than 10 minutes, walking was about 15 minutes

What did you like about staying at this hotel?

-close to the action but almost totally removed from it.  I saw it reviewed in 2014 as like stepping into Downton Abby after leaving the hustle and bustle of SDCC.  I think that’s a valid assessment.  It’s a fancy, quiet oasis in the middle of the madness.  With lemongrass scented air in the lobby and fresh baked cookies at the front desk.  Also, the hotel did not block any additional money  on the credit card, besides the room rate and tax.  No extra held for incidentals. And the shuttle stop was right on the corner outside the hotel.

Finally, what didn't you like about staying at this hotel?
I loved staying there.  It was my first choice this year.  It was everything I wanted it to be.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 06:48:05 PM by sweetiepiepen »

Offline courtsfairhurst

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2016, 05:39:23 PM »
Name of Hotel: The Omni

Type of Room: we originally had a king bed, but they were really kind and helpful, and let us change to 2 double beds.

Number of Nights You Stayed: 5 nights.

Were there any dining options inside or near the hotel?: Yes, a wonderful restaurant in the Lobby and a small convenience store that came in handy when on the run and needed a snack or a quick breakfast,

How was the hotel staff?  Were they polite and courteous?: Incredibly helpful, friendly, always able to help us when we needed. Room cleaning service was quick.

Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels?: Spacious, comfy, INCREDIBLE view overlooking the whole convention centre and water.

How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot?: Obviously walked to the convention centre. Perfect location. Right in the middle of everything, but rooms were quiet.

Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)?: Couldn't hear a thing from neighbouring rooms or outside.

Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?  (Yes or No): Yes free wifi. Wasn't very fast but it did the job.

Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above?: Some celebrity sightings. Cast of Falling Skies had breakfast at the table next to my group one morning. Didn't spend much time at hotel besides to sleep, however. So I'm sure there were more celebrities around but I missed them.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 10:52:21 AM »

Offline theoddpassenger

• Sails Pavilion
    • I make no claims as to the appropriateness of my tumblr
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2016, 05:51:29 PM »

Name of Hotel: Hard Rock Hotel

Type of Room: 2 Queen Beds Studio

Number of Nights You Stayed: 4 nights

Year(s) You Stayed: 2015

Hotel Review:

Yes - the only one we used was Maryjane's, which was also room service. The food was tasty but extremely expensive.

* How was the hotel staff?  Were they polite and courteous?
The hotel staff was great. Very nice and great service.

Yes, one of the nights we got back too late to go to a restaurant. The food was decently timely and tasted good.

* Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them?
We used the pool our first day there. It was small but nice. Most of the rest of our stay it was blocked off for private events.

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels?
The room size was great for 2 people. I don't think it would've been bad for 3 people, but 4 would be pushing it.

* How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot?
It was a 5 minute walk from the convention center providing you didn't get caught in an unmoving mass of people.

* Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)?
I don't remember having any noise issues.

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?
Yes (unless I'm remembering incorrectly)

* Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get?
The San Diego location of the Hard Rock does not participate in the Hard Rock's loyalty program.

* Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above?
I ran into Daisy Ridley while cosplaying as Rey - that was pretty awesome! Otherwise we had a view of the pool and private parties from our room - they looked very boring

- The location was great. I'd only ever stayed at the MMM before and was slightly concerned about being across the street but it actually ended up being almost more convenient.

Tell us about anything that negatively impacted your stay at this particular hotel that you may not have already mentioned above. 
- The bathroom door was broken.
- The room feels kind of cheap for how expensive it is.
- My roommate and I got multiple snide comments and looks from people with professional badges about us/our costumes.
- We decided against trying to stay there again.

Suepafly

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2016, 05:55:25 PM »
Name of Hotel: Manchester Grand Hyatt

Type of Room: 2 full-sized beds

Number of Nights You Stayed: 4

Year(s) You Stayed There: 2013 and 2015

Hotel Review:

The hotel staff has always been attentive and very helpful. They're pretty great, and if you need extra pillows or blankets they bring them right up.

I saw quite a few celebrities at the bar, but didn't have a chance to hang out there, so I can't say how it is.

It's a short walk to/from the convention center, but it does seem pretty far if you're exhausted, and no the taxi from the Marriott Marquis and Marina will not take you to the Hyatt.

Pros:
- Close location to the convention center
-Casts of Once Upon A Time, Supernatural, Dark Matter and the 100 all stayed or were frequently in the hotel in 2015
-The rooms are super spacious, as are the bathrooms
-Blood Donations are usually in the hotel, making it convenient
- Great Views

Cons:
- Further than it appears
- Opposite direction from pretty much everything else you'll want to do during the con.

Offline Raccacoonie

• Freebie Table
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2016, 06:36:18 PM »

Type of Room:, 2 beds

Number of Nights Stayed: 4

Hotel Review:

Big and clean hotel. Helpful staff. No noise through the walls. The bathroom was big and we had a decent view of the water and the road to the convention center. Short walk to the shuttle. A little bit of a walk to the convention center but not too far.

Offline Raccacoonie

• Freebie Table
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2016, 07:33:50 PM »
Name of Hotel: Hard Rock Hotel

Type of Room:, 2 beds

Number of Nights Stayed: 4

Year Stayed There: 2014

Hotel Review:

Perfect Location.  Right across the street from the convention center.  The room felt a little cramped and the carpet and furnishings were a little worn. The bathroom door was on rollers and refused to stay shut until a repairman fixed it. Our window overlooked the rooftop parties. We recognized a lot of actors and writers in the lobby and on the elevator. Overall we had a great time. 

Offline newwavejunkie

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2016, 08:08:33 PM »
Name of Hotel: Hilton San Diego Bayfront

Type of Room: 1 King-sized bed (with a random view of the back part of the hotel which was industrial port-type area)

Number of Nights You Stayed: 5

Hotel Review:

Were there any dining options inside or near the hotel?
The Fox Sports Grill but we never ate there. We stepped into the bar briefly but only because we spotted Paul F. Tompkins and asked him for a pic with us (super nice guy, by the way). They grilled some burgers and hot dogs on the lawn one afternoon. It was nothing special but it was a nice break from the Con.

How was the hotel staff?  Were they polite and courteous?
Hotel staff was great. We got there early and our room was ready for us early. I kept having an issue with the magnet in my wallet (it's a money clip type wallet) magnetizing my room keys and ruining them, but the staff was always kind enough to give me a new one (and let me keep the messed up ones so I made out with quite a few SDCC keys.

Did you order room service?
   If yes, tell us about if you had a good experience with room service.
We did not order room service.

Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels?
Pretty comfortable room but nothing special or atypical of other hotels we've stayed at. Nothing negative, just a normal hotel room.

How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot?
The Hilton Bayfront is pretty much adjacent to the Con so I'd say the walk past the Hall H lines to get into the actual Convention Center was at most 10 minutes.

Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)?
Never had any issues with noise from other rooms or from outside. Pretty quite despite our proximity to the Con.

Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?  (Yes or No)
Yes if you are enrolled in Hilton's Honors programs.

Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get?
Yes. I have a free membership and got free wifi.

Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above?
This was the second hotel we have stayed in close to the Con and we had by far the most celebrity sightings here. Paul F. Tompkins in the elevator and at the bar, a number of cast members from Arrow and The Flash (including getting a selfie with Danielle Panabaker in the elevator), Greg Grunberg from Heroes in the elevator). We also met Guillermo del Toro out on the lawn, though that doesn't necessarily count as in the hotel.

- just across the lawn from the Com
- great customer service
- low noise level
- close proximity to the Gaslamp District and most of the outside SDCC events
- TONS of celebrity sightings

Tell us about anything that negatively impacted your stay at this particular hotel that you may not have already mentioned above. 

- not a great view though not everyone will have that problem
- one of the pricier hotels (though in my opinion well worth it...so not necessarily a con)

Offline bmag

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 19
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2016, 08:22:48 PM »
Name of Hotel:Marriott Gaslamp

Type of Room: King

Year(s) You Stayed There: 2014-2015

Hotel Review:

My wife and I really enjoyed this hotel. The staff was really friendly and the hotel was elegant! The room we had overlooked petco park and it was spotless. We definitely enjoyed the ambiance and modern style of the rooms, almost made us feel like we were A-list celebrities. The beds were far more comfortable than the ones used at Hyatt Manchester so sleep wasn't an issue at all. The hotel was also only 4-5 blocks away from the Sails Pavillion and in the middle of eats like Gaslamp Pizza, making it quite easy to grab food and have a place to relax. My wife and I are pretty hardcore cardio people and often workout so we made full use of their gym. I have to say the gym was perfect and didn't get too full (nothing but the best and newest equipment). Also, the gym provides complimentary fruit that you can also store as comic con snacks. The staff never failed to greet you with smiles or offer assistance. Lastly, parking had to be managed by valet so there was definitely no stress there. This is by far one the best hotels we've been to at San Diego and would love to continue to stay here on our future SDCC trips.

Offline newwavejunkie

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2016, 08:34:23 PM »
Name of Hotel: Omni San Diego Hotel

Type of Room: 2 queen-sized beds (this wasn't ideal since my wife and I went together but we didn't get an option for a king-sized bed)

Year(s) You Stayed There: 2014

Hotel Review:

McCormick and Schmick's though we never ate there. We preferred the many affordable dining options available in the Gaslamp.

Don't remember having much interaction with the staff at all. We got there early but our room wasn't available for a couple of hours. They did hold our luggage and we were able to explore the Gaslamp during that time.

Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels?
Very nice room though we would've preferred a king-sized bed. The bathroom door was a little odd. It was a sliding door that wasn't quite large enough to completely give you privacy. There was a small gap on either side of the door so someone could peak inside if so inclined. It was just my wife and I in the room it it's still a little awkward.

How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot?
5 minutes tops. The Omni is perfectly situated across the street from the Con. Step outside and you are right in the middle of all the outside events typically set up around Tin Fish. Cross the trolley tracks and the street and you find yourself right at the Con. Truly an ideal location.

Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)?
Never had any issues with noise from other rooms but we could definitely hear the sounds of the outside events (Constantine in particular that year). It didn't really bother us.

Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above?
I have heard that many celebrities stay here including many from HBO series. We were looking forward to spotting some Game of Thrones stars but we had zero celebrity sightings here. Just bad luck. We also didn't spend a whole lot of time in the lobby.

- just across the street from the Con
- right in the middle of all the action
- lots of outdoor events right outside the door
- Game of Thrones: Survive the Realm is just across the street in the Omni gallery. That was about a 6-hour wait so it was nice to be able to walk back to the hotel for a short rest while my wife stayed in line (and vice versa).
- good customer service
- low noise level
- great view of the Con
- the Omni Playback Room showed videos of each day's panels in case you were unable to attend

- one of the pricier hotels (though in my opinion well worth it...so not necessarily a con)
- awkward bathroom door
- high noise level from the events below

Offline mangamak

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2016, 09:18:15 PM »
Name of Hotel: Westin Gaslamp

Type of Room: Double Bed

There were several options.  I believe there was a small shopping center next to the hotel that had several fast food options.  Ate at the Panera Bread across the street for a quick breakfast several times.   

Staff was great and super helpful! The concierge was knowledgable and very courteous.  Bellhop that assisted in taking our bags to our room was very kind and had several suggestions for dining options within walking distance.

No, didn't order room service.

* Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them?
Friends used the pool and they enjoyed it.

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels?
The room was very comfortable for the 4 of us.  It had a mini-fridge where we stored our bottled water and kept our food cool.  I loved their bathroom.  It was very spacious!  That's one thing I'm very picky about when booking hotels.  I get very annoyed when bathrooms are so small and you barely have any room and where there's only a small space between the shower, the sink, the commode, and the door.  I was so happy when I saw the size of the bathroom!!

* If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays?
We didn't drive, so I'm not sure how much the parking rate was.

* How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot?
Shortest route was about 5 blocks and not a lot of foot traffic, so it usually took us about 15 min to get from the hotel to the convention center.  You could walk through a small shopping area to get to the main Gaslamp Quarter area and walk by all the restaurants and bars and then go down to the convention center.

* Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)?
Didn't hear much noise from outside sources.  Just the typical door closing/opening every once in a while but nothing horribly loud.

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?  (Yes or No)
Their free wifi is only available for SPG members who book through their website and since this was Travel Planners, it was not free. $12.95 per 24 hours.

* Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get?
No, I'm not a member of their rewards program.

* Is there anything else you like to mention about the hotel (i.e., celebrity sightings) or your room that isn't mentioned above?
I didn't have any celebrity sightings at the hotel but I did hear some people talking while waiting for the elevator that they did see a few celebs.  I believe the people who were there working for Nickelodeon were staying there because we saw so many boxes and bags with the Nickelodeon logo.

The hotel was right across from the Spreckles theatre where Conan was taping.  The front entrance to the hotel faces the Stage door/entrance, so we saw small crowds of people waiting to see celebs being driven in or out.  Most of the side street to that theatre entrance was lined with heavily tinted SUVs.

There is a Shuttle Bus stop at this hotel (there was in 2015).  So, if you don't want to walk at all, you can take the Shuttle. 

-  Was far enough away from the Gaslamp Quarter where you couldn't hear the noise, but near enough that you could walk a very short distance and be in the thick of it all.
-  I thought the walking distance from the hotel to convention center was ideal.  Wasn't a bad walk at all.  There's actually a little bike rental rack outside the hotel and there's another about a block away from the convention center, so if you didn't want to walk I guess you could quickly ride a bike in that short distance and return the rental.
- There's a grocery store on the way to the convention center and they set up a lot of items outside their store with a cash register with items that you might need while at the convention.  Like snacks, water, juices, etc.  You don't need to go wandering around an unfamiliar grocery store completely lost looking for certain things.  I think the grocery store was called Ralph's (I'm from Texas and we don't have that grocery chain here, that I'm aware of).
- There was a CVS right next door, so my friends and I would stock up on snacks there too.
- Several near by places to eat within walking distance
- On the same block (but at different ends) as the Balboa Theater! I know the Nerdist Podcast has done their shows there the past few years! There were also several other shows happening there during SDCC.
- Spacious rooms
- Right next door to the Spreckles Theatre, so you don't have to go far to stand in line for Conan.
- There was a photo booth set up in the lobby by some company and you can take pics with your friends and they had fun props you could wear.  The pics were free and you could also download them from that company's website.

- It didn't bother my friends and me, but there was construction being done at the hotel on the side we were staying at.  BUT since we were out of the hotel pretty early each day and got back late, we never actually heard any construction noise since work started after we left for the day and ended before we got back.  The only time we heard any noise was the first day we arrived and even then, we were out of the hotel exploring the area pretty soon after we settled in.

Offline rjyoung

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2016, 09:38:43 PM »
Name of Hotel: Hilton Bayfront

Type of Room:Double (2 Queens I think)[/b] (Did your room have 1 king-sized bed, 2 full-sized beds, or another type of bed?  Did you have a suite?)

Year(s) You Stayed There: 2015 (Type in the actual year: 2012, 2013, 2014, etc.)

Hotel Review: Very nice and convenient. Great to see the lines for Hall H and preoccupy yourself wondering why you're upstairs and not down there where the endless amount of people are. From the Gaslamp it can be a little bit of a walk though, especially since you're navigating against traffic usually. Comfortable standard rooms

* Were there any dining options inside or near the hotel? Plenty, we had the breakfast buffet eat morning, its a bit pricey, but also yummy. We had diner at Fox Sports Grill a couple of times.

* How was the hotel staff?  pleasant. Were they polite and courteous? yup

* Did you order room service? nope

* Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them? we didn't use the gym or pool

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  slightly smaller rooms, but comfortable sleeping. Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels?

* If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays? over $25/night if I remember right

* How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot? its like 200 feet away...how fast can you walk?

* Are the walls of the room thin?  What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)? No issues with noise

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests? With Gold membership  (Yes or No)

* Are you a member of the hotel's rewards program?  What level do you have, and what kind of perks did you get? Blue - None

Finally, what didn't you like about staying at this hotel? Nice place to stay, comfortable and close....get it if you can!

Offline rjyoung

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2016, 09:43:27 PM »

Name of Hotel: Manchester Grand

Type of Room: Single King Bed

Year(s) You Stayed There: 2014 (Type in the actual year: 2012, 2013, 2014, etc.)

Hotel Review: Gorgeous huge hotel. Rooms were very spacious and had a great view of the bay. Only downside is how many people were staying there and the disaster that the elevators turned into at night.

* Were there any dining options inside or near the hotel? There were a couple of places inside, we really only went to the inside lobby bar

* How was the hotel staff?  Very pleasant. Were they polite and courteous? Very

* Did you order room service? Nope

* Tell us about the hotel amenities, like the gym or pool.  Did you use any of them? Didn't use them

* Were you and your roommates able to sleep and move around in the room comfortably?  These rooms are huge. Very very spacious for what you get. Do you think the room is smaller or larger than the same type of room in other, comparable hotels?

* If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays? $30/night I think...it was pretty high

* How long did it take you to travel to and from your hotel by shuttle, trolley, or on foot? 15 min walk

* Are the walls of the room thin?  Not that I can recall. What are the noise levels in your room from outside sources (hallway or next door)?

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests? Don't recall (Yes or No)

Offline newwavejunkie

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2016, 09:48:58 PM »
Name of Hotel: Doubletree Downtowm San Diego Hotel

Type of Room: 1 King-sized bed

Year(s) You Stayed There: 2013

Hotel Review:

An overpriced breakfast with average quality food. But free cookies whenever you ask for them!

Very friendly staff including a free shuttle service to and from the airport. We had S issue with the A/C not working in our room. They couldn't move us to another room but it was repaired within a couple of hours.

Pretty average hotel room. Nothing particularly positive or negative to point out. I would definitely be happy to stay here again if closer hotels are not an option.

10-15 minute shuttle ride to and from the Con. Or you can take a 10-minute stroll to the trolley station and take that directly to the Convention Center. Both convenient options.

Never had any issues with noise from other rooms or outside.

Saw the actor who played Tyrese on The Walking Dead in the lobby but only my wife recognized him. I just thought it was a player for the Chargers (he's a big guy, after all).

- friendly staff
- decent rooms
- on the shuttle route and near a trolley station
- free cookies!

Offline Tea_Angel

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2016, 10:23:00 PM »
HOTEL REVIEW AND FEEDBACK LAYOUT

Type of Room: 1 King Sized Bed

Number of Nights You Stayed: 2

Hotel Review:

Hotel Staff was pretty nice, nothing bad to say about them. The room was very nice, well decorated and I got lucky and had a nice view. It was very quiet, which being a light sleeper is something I value. I really like this hotel for Comic Con as it's farther away from the Con and the parties, but still an easy walk to and from.

It is more expensive but I believe all of the hotels on the water are around this price range (sub-300 I believe). I took the train down as the parking rates here are stupid. Like I have to wonder if there is a cheaper offsite option for people who drive.

I really do recommend this hotel if you're willing to walk a little (and I do mean little) bit further and are looking for a quiet place to crash.

Offline Foxygrandpa83

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2016, 10:23:39 PM »
Name of Hotel: Doubletree by Hilton Downtown San Diego

Type of Room: 1 king room

Year(s) You Stayed There:2015

Hotel Review:

Yes, Woodranch BBQ & Starbucks. There was also a Food 4 Less nearby, which is helpful

They were wonderful and very kind!

No, we didn't have time

The room is very large. We had them add a roll away bed for our 3rd person. We also took our baby boy and his pack and play also fit. We also had to add a fridge for milk for the baby. It was very spacious with all that, plus our stuff!

* If you drove and parked your car at the hotel, how much was the parking rate per day for overnight stays?
I forgot :(

The trolley was literally across the street from the hotel. It was super convienent

we couldn't hear much and no one complained about us, especially when the baby cried.

* Does the hotel have free WiFi for guests?  (Yes or No)
No, you have to pay. If you are a HHonors member, you get Wifi for free

Yes, HHonors blue level. We got free WiFi and cookies :)

We liked it so much, we stayed recently again when we went to the San Diego Zoo