Author Topic: Give your blood to the con (AKA the Robert A Heinlein Blood Drive)  (Read 6750 times)

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 251
Re: Give your blood to the con (AKA the Robert A Heinlein Blood Drive)
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2019, 01:22:12 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I know it's super early, but for some reason, I checked in and found that the San Diego Blood Bank has opened up sign up slots for the annual blood drive.  It's something I do every year, and I think is a totally worthwhile cause to be a part of as there are emergencies everyday and hospitals need blood.  For the first time ever though, the drive will open slots up for Preview Night from 9 am to 6 pm (just in time to start Preview Night).  I confirmed this with the San Diego Blood Bank.  This  is on top of their normal times Thursday through Sunday.  So I know a lot of folks here will be in San Diego already so if you have time before Preview Night (and after the morning FoCC Breakfast), you can spend an hour to donate your blood before all the craziness starts.  To see Comic Con, you will need to set the dates from July 17 to July 21.

Remember, on top of the good feeling of helping out, you also get free swag like graphic novels and an extra Comic Con bag and pin and an exclusive high quality shirt (last year was the Marvel's Avengers shirt).  All it takes is a little blood (ok a pint, which is a small milk cartoon, but you won't miss it).  So if you think you can spare the time and blood, I encourage you to sign up ahead of time and participate.

I used to donate regularly years ago until they refused to take my blood because of my weight.  My weight is good now, so will try and take up the cause again.  If I go on Sunday, will there still be swag left?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 03:56:21 PM by puppy »

Offline Vapors

• Ballroom 20
  • 1999-current
  • Liked: 268
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2019, 09:43:09 PM »
Hi, did anyone have luck last year with donating locally at another location before Weds (before the CON) and showing proof to get the swag?

No idea.  You can email them and see.  If I had to guess, probably not, as the point is to donate there and not somewhere else.

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline meikoami

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2019, 12:07:30 PM »
Hi, did anyone have luck last year with donating locally at another location before Weds (before the CON) and showing proof to get the swag?

I've only experienced getting shirts AFTER SDCC when there's a lot of supplies left over (mainly t-shirts). My brother donated up in Costa Mesa after SDCC 2018 and was able to get the Avengers Infinity War shirt both times that he donated. I did it 3 years before at the Coastal Donation Center in Vista and was able to get the Captain America shirt. But they're usually L to XL or bigger left for the shirts.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 12:09:46 PM by meikoami »

Offline WonderTwin93

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 23
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2019, 03:20:18 PM »
People who have donated in the past at this drive, is it usually a pretty efficient process? I feel like a lot of times when I go to give blood there's always a wait even with a scheduled appointment time. (Usually not a problem, but with SDCC planning a different story)

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2019, 03:28:15 PM »
[member=8762]WonderTwin93[/member] They definitely prioritize people with appointments over walk-ins, and they're pretty efficient, but as with anything they get a little farther behind as the day goes on. I always go as early in the day as I can to minimize that effect.

Offline Vapors

• Ballroom 20
  • 1999-current
  • Liked: 268
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2019, 09:27:17 PM »
Bumping this to remind people you can sign up now that the schedule has been fully released.  Remember, that for the first time, you can sign up on Preview Night starting at 9 am so you don't even need to miss any con time.

Also, per the USDCC Blog site, they have revealed the shirts.  Usually great quality and this year you have your choice between two colors of the Avengers logo.  So hope folks take some time out and donate.  It's a worthwhile thing to do.

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 738
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2019, 08:27:21 AM »
This is the shirt they are giving away.

Www.sandiegobloodbank.org

Sometimes they let you donate beforehand and still get the bag of swag.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 738
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2019, 07:15:16 PM »
They set a record 3,343 pints of blood! It also helped they were open on Wednesday. For those locals or any stragglers still in town, you can still donate and get the Avengers t-shirt. Contact the San Diego Blood Bank.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2020, 08:58:17 AM »
Staring the 2020 section.
It's my first time donating ever. Man am I wiped out. I donated whole blood as suggested. Came home at 4 crashed till 7, woke up ate, then got another 8 hrs.
I can not imagine doing this at a regular con. Maybe if I jus do platelets or red cells... Idk, but I'm still dizzy the next morning.

The shirt is cool , and I get tested for antibodies and blood type so it's definitely a win-win but I was not expecting to be so wiped out.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5