Author Topic: Post con Reactions, Reflections, etc all  (Read 6773 times)

Offline susanml10881

• Hall H
  • Liked: 152
Re: Post con Reactions, Reflections, etc all
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2022, 10:31:20 PM »
Sounds like I wasn’t the only one who had problems with the Netflix booth. The worst. Gave up. Yeah ABC/ Disney used to be better. Skipped it since it was just a store though they did have cute photo ops along the back. The line was always capped and didn’t move much so never got a chance to do it. Yeah usually marvel is walk to wall and you can’t even get in there.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I felt like inside the exhibit hall was lackluster. My favorite thing about comic con besides panels is the experiences you cannot have anywhere else. Besides the lil Monster High game everything else felt like a store. Even the Marvel booth seemed quiet (giveaway hr non withstanding). Was excited for Netflix and Disney+ and the first one was a mess and the second a store. I missed WB/DC. After roaming around for a few hrs I was done with it which I found kinda sad. Masking rules were very well enforced imo and I hardly saw anyone maskless indoors anywhere.

I loved loved loved the offsites. Did everything except Gray Man, DBZ, Nintendo Switch and Bob's Burgers/Multiverse of Madness. FX was fun and quick, I liked how streamlined it was. Disney+ was lots of fun with great swag, kinda wish I had gone back for an Arcadian mug. HotD was really cool and yet the line management made it almost unbearable. Severance was amazing and prob the most immersive offsite I've ever participated in. The DBZ concert was super fun even for us who don't really know that show. Abbott Elementary was cute and gave lots of nice swag, I used that bag all thru con. Prey screening was also a highlight for us and my predator loving dad. WD party was amazing too, wish I could have stayed a bit longer, alas Hall H NDL called. Ghosts was also very cool even if the palm reading line was ridiculous, I blame that one girl who stayed sited there for 15 min straight.

Did Hall H Saturday for the first time and enjoyed it. That line was a disaster, we were there for wristbands for more than 2 hrs and we weren't even that far back and yet still got Cs, very weird. Sunday Hall H was also a disaster right when the panels actually started, so glad for ADA or we wouldn't have made it.

Overall I had a great time and will gladly go back next year. I did/got 90% of the things in my list so it felt like a successful con. BUT, most of the problems like line management seemed like could have been avoided with more planning and better enforcing. I get that there was staff turnover and things out of their control but it was waaay to messy. Really hoping the exhibit hall comes back next year with better stuff, or well, maybe not cause that way I won't feel FOMO if I'm outside doing offsites instead like I didn't feel it his year. 

PS. Their IT system is horrible, I feel so bad for the volunteer manager who had to deal with it.

TLDR. The best part of comic con was the parts outside of comic con (Hall H not included)

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
Re: Post con Reactions, etc all
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2022, 07:02:36 AM »
Join the club. The little earthquake helped me to get up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought I felt tremors! Everyone else slept through...my first earthquake! Yeeehah.
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 02:01:44 PM »

Offline Miclpea

• Hall H
  • Liked: 350
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2022, 07:03:33 AM »
I thought I felt tremors! Everyone else slept through...my first earthquake! Yeeehah.
I felt it too. I dressed in case it was precursor!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2022, 07:59:26 AM »
As a TV-focused person, I found the TV panels to be in short supply this year.  Some that would have been in Ballroom 20 in other years ended up in Hall H and I couldn't get in due to lack of commitment to lining up early.  I also attended two TV panels that were "virtual" because the cast didn't show up (Rookie and Abbott Elementary).

At least Abbott Elementary said right when the schedule was released that the panel was going to be virtual.  The Rookie gave no indication.  If they did, the people wouldn’t have wasted their time.

Offline Karin

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 75
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2022, 08:04:25 AM »
Sounds like I wasn’t the only one who had problems with the Netflix booth. The worst. Gave up. Yeah ABC/ Disney used to be better. Skipped it since it was just a store though they did have cute photo ops along the back. The line was always capped and didn’t move much so never got a chance to do it. Yeah usually marvel is walk to wall and you can’t even get in there.

My sister and dad managed to get in first thing Sunday and couldn't even scan the code correctly because of how rude the guy was and how much he moved it. They weren't clear in the instructions either and she and dad left super confused and upset. I don't know if it was just that morning but they should have done an organized wall line. It looked chaotic.

Offline Silenthillnight

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2022, 09:55:44 AM »
I enjoyed the exhibit hall this year.  Wasn't too crazy and I could easily get to my favorite booths with relative ease minus the people who would randomly pause in the middle of an aisle.  My favorite thing was the panel with Omar Epps talking about his new book.  He has an infectious positivity while also coming off as grounded that is just really inspiring.

Before the con, I was a little sad about getting MGH again but since they're dog friendly and close to that park on the Marina, it was perfect and I couldn't ask for a better place to stay.  I can't wait for next year.  Maybe I'll actually have a friend next time and jump into that Hall H line for once, haha.

Offline SyndE

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2022, 10:05:18 AM »
I'm so glad that alyssa started this thread! I took a relaxed and cautious approach this year, largely because the last two years have really beat the crap out of my body and mind, and I have to be careful about anxiety attacks in huge crowds. (Look, I was back in my room by 9PM every night. Give the two years I've had, having a hotel room with a huge bed, blackout curtains, and DoorDash was a vacation in itself!) So, three lists:

Pros:
+ I saw many, many amazing panels. I think my final count was 14, and it would have been higher if so much good stuff didn't conflict with each other! I was so inspired by the "History of Underground Comix" panel on Sunday morning, I bought the author's book immediately afterwards. I got so many great book recommendations from the book panels. And! Sitting seventh row for the "For All Mankind" panel made me so happy even though I didn't win signing tickets. Finally, there is no way Tiffany Haddish is ever going to be invited back to con after the delightfully twisted "Tuca and Bertie" panel.

+ The weather! Look, maybe I was a little evil sending photos and screenshots from AccuWeather app back to friends in Philly, where they were in the middle of a 95F+ heat wave, but wasn't it just PERFECT this year?

+ I ate many, many excellent fish tacos.

+ I felt fairly biologically safe - I only saw one completely unmasked person. And even though I'm pretty sure that the door staff were not catching all the orange wristbands, if people were wearing them, it means at least they showed their vax status.

+ I stocked up on the black licorice Red Vines at Ralph's. I can't find the black licorice variety anywhere else but southern California!!

+ The Sunday dinner - but I do want to apologize if I was a little shy.

Small cons:
+ The exhibit floor. I made sure to take one walk up and down the entire hall, but after that I limited myself to around the publisher tables, Artist Alley, and places I need to get to for preorder pickups. I just couldn't bring myself to stand in line for an hour to go through the Netflix, HBOMax, etc booths.

+ Lack of tiny free swag: buttons, small stickers, etc.

+ After the Tuca + Bertie panel in the Indigo Saturday morning, I wandered far off-grid for tacos, and then bolted. I saw the seas of people on 4th, 5th, and 6th and just could not do it. But that's just me.

Weird Ideas I came up with that will never happen, but discuss:
+ Making the aisles one-way in the exhibit hall, similar to how grocery stores did this at the beginning of the pandemic.
+ Selling Exhibit Hall-Only badges
+ Creating a Hall H Only badge

Online dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2022, 11:06:52 AM »
Weird Ideas I came up with that will never happen, but discuss:
+ Making the aisles one-way in the exhibit hall, similar to how grocery stores did this at the beginning of the pandemic.
+ Selling Exhibit Hall-Only badges
+ Creating a Hall H Only badge

I thought the same thing about "one way only" aisles in the exhibit hall.

In regards to Hall H, I think that if they have a day like Saturday where Marvel is at the end of the day, preventing people who are only interested in GoT or Trek from attending those sessions, they should split Saturday into two sessions with a panel clearing in the middle.  I know that the con doesn't want to empty for EVERY panel.  They said so at the Talkback.  But, ONE panel clearing would double the number of wristbands, wherein everyone would have to choose either morning or afternoon.  If they get the afternoon, they would have to do Standby for the morning if they want to attend both sessions OR they would be able to do something else.

Hall H was pretty easy to get in except on Saturday.  Saturday was the challenge.

Offline Karin

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2022, 11:21:58 AM »
I thought the same thing about "one way only" aisles in the exhibit hall.

In regards to Hall H, I think that if they have a day like Saturday where Marvel is at the end of the day, preventing people who are only interested in GoT or Trek from attending those sessions, they should split Saturday into two sessions with a panel clearing in the middle.  I know that the con doesn't want to empty for EVERY panel.  They said so at the Talkback.  But, ONE panel clearing would double the number of wristbands, wherein everyone would have to choose either morning or afternoon.  If they get the afternoon, they would have to do Standby for the morning if they want to attend both sessions OR they would be able to do something else.

Hall H was pretty easy to get in except on Saturday.  Saturday was the challenge.

This will never happen. The mess Hall H Sunday was during the afternoon proved it.

Offline Berts

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 144
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2022, 11:34:19 AM »
I had such a dualistic experience.

PROS
-I got to stay at The Omni which was amazing.
-On Wednesday I had a Preview Night Funko slot and got everything I wanted.
-I was able to go to the Fandom party and had an incredible time.
-I was able to go to Fundays and had an even more incredible time.
-I was able to go to the NatGeo "party" and I had a blast.
-Got to do a lot of great offsite (IMDboat, FX, Nintendo, DnD, Franklin gallery)
-I found the Yesterdays coin and got the XMen pin.
-I was able to get friends into the Pac-Man party and they had a wonderful time.
-I was able to get my mom into the Lord of the Rings party WITH the golden ticket and she had a fantastic time.
-I saw the Interview with the Vampire panel with my mom (who's an Anne Rice fanatic) and she was like a little kid which warmed my heart.
-The Cat Cafe is an annual tradition for my wife and I and it was wonderful as always.
-The energy and the enthusiasm for SDCC seemed to be cranked to 11 and that was electrifying.
-But my favorite part was that I met a LOT of forum/Discord members and I loved every second of hanging out with each one.

CONS
-The bag had one variety and there were no pins.
-No printed program and no boxes with pins.
-The floor was... bad. I just didn't really care all that much which is so strange. The absence of WB and especially DC was enormous and I could feel the void.
-Funkoville was cool and all but couldn't come close to making up for the hole left by WB and some other companies that pulled out.
-Adult Swim on the green not having their annual space sucked (but what they did do there instead was pretty funny. Also the giant inflatable floating thing was great.)
-The panel selection was uninspiring. There wasn't a whole lot I cared to see.
-Comics (my main attraction) were almost non-existent. I went back to 2013-2016 and counted the comic panels. Each publisher had around 25 EACH. This year, Marvel and DC had something like four or five each.
-The SDCC perch was cheap and the Line to get in was SLOW.
-The Petco zone was garbage with almost nothing there.
-The security was atrocious and they felt almost aggressive and angry at people instead of cheerful and helpful.

Overall, A LOT of the show felt like taped/glued together. Almost like taking out and eating a cake that isn't quite ready yet. Everything seemed like it was done to minimize cost while giving out the bare minimum experience. I completely understand that they took a pandemic hit, but they did get over $4M in relief funds that were forgiven and put on the special edition. As I type this, I realize that most of my pros have to do with things/companies outside of the convention and most of my cons have to do with aspects of the convention. OOF. There's more I'll think of an edit later probably. Over all, I had an awesome time and I'm counting down the days until 2023.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 11:43:04 AM by Berts »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2022, 11:39:35 AM »

I have to agree.  I think it took me longer to get through security, a first for the Interactive Zone, than I actually spent in it.  I really didn't understand the super long line in the middle just to get a little cup of a drink.

Normally the Interactive Zone is filled to the brim with little offsites.  This year there were only a few and even though they were spread out, they didn't really hide how empty the Zone was.

Offline Berts

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 144
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2022, 11:44:21 AM »
I have to agree.  I think it took me longer to get through security, a first for the Interactive Zone, than I actually spent in it.  I really didn't understand the super long line in the middle just to get a little cup of a drink.

Normally the Interactive Zone is filled to the brim with little offsites.  This year there were only a few and even though they were spread out, they didn't really hide how empty the Zone was.

Yep. It took me a long time to get through those metal detectors because everyone's bag had to be checked and everyone has a big bag. I honestly don't understand the purpose of that security checkpoint.

Offline Karin

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2022, 11:45:33 AM »

The line was actually for a photo op, the drink itself had no line.

Offline rallyv

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 87
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2022, 12:31:27 PM »
I usually spend a lot of time in the interactive zone and the food trucks are almost always a go-to for lunch for me and the fact they had a massive security choke point soured me to the whole thing. I went there once on Thursday and every other day I tried to go back, the line for security was basically around the block when I was looking to go in. It was extremely discouraging because it's one of my favorite parts of SDCC.

Offline MarvelGurl

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 273
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2022, 12:37:31 PM »
I had such a dualistic experience.

PROS
-I got to stay at The Omni which was amazing.
-On Wednesday I had a Preview Night Funko slot and got everything I wanted.
-I was able to go to the Fandom party and had an incredible time.
-I was able to go to Fundays and had an even more incredible time.
-I was able to go to the NatGeo "party" and I had a blast.
-Got to do a lot of great offsite (IMDboat, FX, Nintendo, DnD, Franklin gallery)
-I found the Yesterdays coin and got the XMen pin.
-I was able to get friends into the Pac-Man party and they had a wonderful time.
-I was able to get my mom into the Lord of the Rings party WITH the golden ticket and she had a fantastic time.
-I saw the Interview with the Vampire panel with my mom (who's an Anne Rice fanatic) and she was like a little kid which warmed my heart.
-The Cat Cafe is an annual tradition for my wife and I and it was wonderful as always.
-The energy and the enthusiasm for SDCC seemed to be cranked to 11 and that was electrifying.
-But my favorite part was that I met a LOT of forum/Discord members and I loved every second of hanging out with each one.

CONS
-The bag had one variety and there were no pins.
-No printed program and no boxes with pins.
-The floor was... bad. I just didn't really care all that much which is so strange. The absence of WB and especially DC was enormous and I could feel the void.
-Funkoville was cool and all but couldn't come close to making up for the hole left by WB and some other companies that pulled out.
-Adult Swim on the green not having their annual space sucked (but what they did do there instead was pretty funny. Also the giant inflatable floating thing was great.)
-The panel selection was uninspiring. There wasn't a whole lot I cared to see.
-Comics (my main attraction) were almost non-existent. I went back to 2013-2016 and counted the comic panels. Each publisher had around 25 EACH. This year, Marvel and DC had something like four or five each.
-The SDCC perch was cheap and the Line to get in was SLOW.
-The security was atrocious and they felt almost aggressive and angry at people instead of cheerful and helpful.

Overall, A LOT of the show felt like taped/glued together. Almost like taking out and eating a cake that isn't quite ready yet. Everything seemed like it was done to minimize cost while giving out the bare minimum experience. I completely understand that they took a pandemic hit, but they did get over $4M in relief funds that were forgiven and put on the special edition. As I type this, I realize that most of my pros have to do with things/companies outside of the convention and most of my cons have to do with aspects of the convention. OOF. There's more I'll think of an edit later probably. Over all, I had an awesome time and I'm counting down the days until 2023.

I appreciate this post. While I was contemplating whether or not I was going to do SDCC I decided not to fret about possibly not having a bad Wed-Friday because in years past I learned that I had more fun outside of the convention center than inside. COVID is becoming an excuse for companies who provide bad or downgraded service. Some like staffing may be legit, but a lot of the cons in this thread have been present for years before 2019. I loved the idea someone had about making aisles "one way" although I know that would never work.

I also don't know why in an era where "tv is king" both WC and SDCC dropped the ball on those. I know they tend to rely on the WB/CW properties and CW is looking like it's about to be dismantled, but there are plenty of shows on streaming platforms that would fit right in at SDCC. We shouldn't have to pay $300+ to go to what is essentially a flea market with lackluster panels. Panels is what really drew me to SDCC to begin with, but now I barely find anything worth scheduling. I did have some minor FOMO because the atmosphere and especially the weather looked great, but I didn't have any regrets about skipping it this year. Maybe I'll do every other year from now on or go explore other conventions around the country.