Author Topic: San Diego Comic Fest: March 7-10, 2019 at Four Points by Sheraton  (Read 3861 times)

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

We are happy to announce that we now have dates and a venue for the seventh-annual San Diego Comic Fest. It will be held March 7-10, 2019 at the Four Points by Sheraton on Aero Drive in San Diego. (March 7th the Fest will open at 7:00 pm and feature a special reception and late-night film program for pro guests and attendees with pre-registered/purchased badges.)

We are working hard now to put together a great line up of special guests, events, and programming so be sure to check back frequently to see the latest updates.

One thing we can tell you now is that our theme for the 2019 Fest will be the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 Moon landing, when science fiction became science fact!

(bold = mine)
sdcomicfest San Diego Comic Fest will be holding a volunteers meeting this Sunday. So join us at the Mission Valley Library at 12:30 PM and bring your ideas to the table. Everyone is welcome to join in.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 09:25:28 PM by AzT »

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
Re: San Diego Comic Fest: March 7-10, 2019 at Four Points by Sheraton
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 12:16:41 PM »

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 10:31:00 AM »

The Batman first appeared when Detective Comics # 27 hit the newsstands in March 1939. To celebrate the last 80 years of adventures, we are organizing a mock trial inspired by Grant Morrison’s 1989 Graphic Novel Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth.

We are seeking four to six law students to join us at San Diego Comic Fest, held on March 7 to 10, 2019, at the Four Points by Sheraton on Aero Drive in San Diego. The mock trial will be on March 9, 2019. 

Here are the Facts for the Mock Trial: Harvey Dent had his silver dollar taken away as part of his treatment at Arkham Asylum. Psychotherapist Ruth Adams claimed Dent was being “cured” of his obsession with duality. Dent’s treatment was replacing his coin with a six-sided die and then Tarot cards. Dr. Adams next stage of treatment was to introduce Dent to I-Ching. Dr. Adams believed Dent would have a completely functional judgment facility that did not result in black and white absolutes.

Result of Treatment: Dent was unable to make basic decisions, such as when to go to the bathroom. The treatment left Dent hollow and sitting under a table the day the inmates took over asylum. 

The Lawsuit: Attorneys retained by the Wayne Foundation have brought suit against Arkham Asylum, the late Arkham Administrator Charles Cavendish, Dr.Ruth Adams, and DOES 1-50, claiming that Harvey Dent’s treatment violated the 8th Amendment prohibition against cruel and unusual punishment. Attorneys for the state have brought a summary judgment motion on the grounds that Dent’s coin was not taken away as a form of punishment, but a form of treatment.

Attorneys retained by the Wayne Foundation on Dent’s behalf have brought suit against Arkham Asylum, the late Arkham Administrator Charles Cavendish, Dr.Ruth Adams, and DOES 1-50, claiming that Dent’s treatment violated the 8th Amendment prohibition against cruel and unusual punishment. Attorneys for the state will argue that Dent’s coin was not taken away as a form of punishment, but a form of treatment.

The two teams of law students will represent Plaintiff Harvey Dent and Defendant Arkham Asylum, et al. The law students will get to prepare their case with advice from practicing attorneys, prepare psychologists for witness examination, and argue their case before a Federal Judge.

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 738
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 07:55:17 AM »
One of my favorite things are the mock trials!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 10:06:32 AM »
sdcomicfest You may know William F. Nolan for his work in science fiction, including the Logan’s Run series of books (oh yeah, and that movie!!) but he’s also written mysteries, horror, noir science fiction, biographies, the list goes on and on. Rise! Explore this prolific writer’s work and meet Mr. Nolan at San Diego Comic Fest 2019!

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 10:34:15 AM »
sdcomicfest What’s up, Doc? What’s up with animator Willie Ito? Find out more about working at Disney, Hanna-Barbera and everything in between! San Diego Comic Fest March 7-10, 2019

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 01:44:37 PM »

i'm pretty sure he was there last year & was doing amazing sketches as we waited for wicked cheap, $5 or $10. really nice people! and super fast drawer

i think i got a roadrunner & coyote..... because the roadrunner is always cool and the coyote an exercise in futility
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2019, 11:14:12 AM »
i'm pretty sure he was there last year & was doing amazing sketches as we waited for wicked cheap, $5 or $10. really nice people! and super fast drawer

i think i got a roadrunner & coyote..... because the roadrunner is always cool and the coyote an exercise in futility
OMG "Baton Bunny" is an all-time favorite!  In college a bunch of us would watch that cartoon short all the time when we were taking conducting (I'm a HS music teacher) and try to sneak in some of Bugs' moves in class to see if the Prof. would notice  :P

If he's doing sketches that reasonably prices, I would almost KILL for a Bugs in tux w/conducting baton ready to throw down!

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2019, 03:42:39 PM »

OMG "Baton Bunny" is an all-time favorite!  In college a bunch of us would watch that cartoon short all the time when we were taking conducting (I'm a HS music teacher) and try to sneak in some of Bugs' moves in class to see if the Prof. would notice  :P

If he's doing sketches that reasonably prices, I would almost KILL for a Bugs in tux w/conducting baton ready to throw down!
we **might** be able to work a deal LOL

I just realized sdcf is taking place across the street from my school- like I can park in in the school's parking garage if it costs at the hotel
also, there is a really good Vietnamese restaurant 5 min from the hotel

One of my favorite things are the mock trials!
the auction is pretty cool too ;)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 05:33:40 PM by alyssa »
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 07:01:47 PM »
sdcomicfest You know his artwork from Nexus, World's Finest, Space Ghost, Johnny Quest and so many more. He won an Eisner Award, a Harvey Award, a Jack Kirby Award the Russ Manning Outstanding Newcomer and the Inkpot Award. San Diego Comic Fest is proud to welcome @steverudeart as a Special Guest.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2019, 11:19:35 AM »

This was what he did for me last year, I'm pretty sure it was $10
I sux big time at mailing so it'd be delivered at sdcc.....I suspect if I brought him larger paper and offered more he'd do a larger one..... Just a thought

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 11:22:28 AM by alyssa »

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2019, 11:56:25 PM »
sdcomicfest Dinosaurs are ginormous! So are the larger than life artists who depict them. Meet #WilliamStout, a giant in illustration, and see his mammoth works at San Diego Comic Fest. March 7-10, 2019 You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login #dinosaurs #comics #illustration

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2019, 08:37:01 PM »
sdcomicfest Trina Robbins, writer, graphic artist and herstorian returns to San Diego Comic Fest! Her work has been underground, feminist, mainstream, and groundbreaking. She crashed the boys’ clubs and wrote her own way into comic book culture & history. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2019, 07:15:00 PM »
I could really use a con right now.  This will hit the spot.  A month to go.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2019, 08:39:28 PM »
I could really use a con right now.  This will hit the spot.  A month to go.
i went to a progress meeting today, i'm excited by all the prep. AND-- it's located right across the street from the school i'm attending. As in i've already got parking LOL
They're having another meeting on sun feb 17 (unofficially until they formally announce) they're looking for volunteers- free badge if you sign up for a slot ;)