Author Topic: Kevin Smith panel after Star Wars  (Read 11870 times)

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
Kevin Smith panel after Star Wars
« on: July 14, 2015, 12:59:25 PM »
I just saw this.  I honestly feel bad for Kevin Smith.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
Re: Kevin Smith panel after Star Wars
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 01:03:53 PM »
I feel kinda bad.....most of that crowd would have bailed anyways. I don't think he honestly lost that much to the concert. The way most of the Saturday crowd bailed before the late night panel. The people on Friday had camped to be in there, most were likely done had there been no concert. I feel bad that he couldn't go to the concert LOL I felt he should have moderated the SW panel instead of Hardwick, honestly. I'm no Hardwick fan though, he annoys me.
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 11:16:26 AM »

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 01:20:05 PM »
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 03:41:37 PM by Transmute Jun »

Offline Car_Low

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 610
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 01:23:30 PM »

Ouch. I know the kevin smith panel isn't the most attended one at con (I've always been able to walk in) but I haven't seen it that bad.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 03:41:47 PM by Transmute Jun »

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 538
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 01:29:46 PM »
I think it's hilarious but hasn't he always had a panel at the end of the day? Didn't it use to be Saturday before WB started doing their TV thing? If so, people always bailed after that as well. If people wanted to attend his panel, they would. Especially since the room did clear out.

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 01:30:57 PM »
Actually-we went, and it filled in pretty nicely, considering, from what I could tell. His panel has always been a walk-in, as far as I was always told. I think it was only like that at the very beginning. It was an enjoyable panel. One weird thing-there was some guy live tweeting it, but I don't think he was actually at the panel-his tweets did not completely align with what was going on.

He also did a great job moderating the Teen Wolf panel. I was surprised to find that he is a big Teen Wolf fan. Tyler Posey is actually in his new movie. Also-the cast of Teen Wolf gave him a Beacon Hills jersey-it was a cute moment.

I think he will survive. The main reason he is in Hall H is because it's available late (less chance of kiddos being exposed to his raunchiness), and his panels in smaller rooms in the past were impossible to get into.
Ang

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 01:36:05 PM »
The nice thing about Kevin is that he will turn it into a great story for his future panels.

Offline oneroomdisco

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 197
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 02:27:14 PM »
I know he lost some people to the concert (the couple next to me were originally planning on staying at least), but I really don't think the concert impact was that extreme. With Saturday being so jam packed with major panels/signings and with so many people having been in line for so long, the hall was always going to clear out after Star Wars. As it is, I saw a decent chunk of people leaving before the panel even ended so they could go get in line for Saturday H.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Offline FBS

• Fulfillment Room
    • http://www.marksearby.com/
  • Liked: 510
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 03:51:00 PM »
I heard that he took a few people off to a private screening room to show footage of his new film.

Offline kohyuta

• Ballroom 20
  • Be water, my friend.
    • World Gone Geek
  • Liked: 226
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 04:48:09 PM »
I saw Chris Hardwick's Funcomfortable Tour Friday night, and he talked about the Star Wars panel. He said Kevin had texted him earlier that evening and asked "Could you mention my panel to Hall H after the Star Wars panel? I wanna talk about Star Wars and stuff." And Chris Hardwick had to answer... "Ummmmmm..... nooooooooooo."
-----
Be Water, My Friend

Offline susanml10881

• Hall H
  • Liked: 152
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 09:06:48 PM »
Yeah in his indigo ballroom panel, Chris Hardwich said JJ Abrams et al didn't realize there was a panel after theirs. No one said anything. The concert was supposed to be a secret so he couldn't tell Kevin . Kevin did look upset at first. But the room filled in again slightly. People do usually clear out the room that late but still.

Offline mllNY

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1089
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 07:21:44 AM »
the thing is people did not leave because they dislike kevin smith, they left because it was a free concert which really was a once in a lifetime opportunity. I am a kevin smith fan but given the choice i chose the concert. alyssa took a photo with the man at NYCC and is a huge fan but she was walking with me on the way to the concert

i feel bad and really CCI should have just listed the panel afterwards as TBD but that might have been too obvious to break the surprise. i mean keeping this concert a secret was a real coup

not sure what cci could have done, but as a kevin smith fan i really did feel bad
2023 Cons: Five Points Festival, SDCC, Toy Fair, NYCC, IX, PAX Unplugged

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 08:03:10 AM »
He didn't indicate that he thought people should stay for him instead of going to the concert-as a Star Wars fan himself-he seemed to understand that it was a once in a lifetime opportunity. He really only talked about it in the beginning. He did say one of his biggest fears was walking out to an empty room at Comic-Con, but that now that he has faced that fear, he is okay with it. He kind of turned it into a positive for himself.

By the way-he is looking great. He says he gave up processed sugar, etc. Kudos to him for that! I don't know that I could do that.
Ang

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2015, 08:11:08 AM »
I read that he thought about cancelling his panel so that he could go to the show.

I can't wait for his next panel where he talks about this like the whole southwest debacle.  ;)

Offline mllNY

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1089
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2015, 08:13:24 AM »
I get that, but many of the articles I have been reading state that the fans didn't stay for his panel as opposed to stating that they went to the concert. Its hard for me to describe but in my mind there is a fundamental difference between the two.

internally its like i didn't leave because i have no interest or have no respect or think you are irrelevant, i left because i was given this opportunity to have this extra experience

if you can get what i mean
2023 Cons: Five Points Festival, SDCC, Toy Fair, NYCC, IX, PAX Unplugged