Author Topic: Random Covid-19 coping; humor, media and strategies  (Read 17841 times)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
Re: Random Covid-19 coping; humor, media and strategies
« Reply #180 on: May 06, 2020, 09:38:46 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline ozzz

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 289
« Reply #181 on: May 08, 2020, 07:07:57 AM »

HBF MMM and MGH with hearts on them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #182 on: Today at 04:40:19 AM »

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #182 on: May 08, 2020, 12:56:40 PM »
What a cool picture! Thanks for sharing, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login !

Offline ozzz

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #183 on: May 08, 2020, 03:37:43 PM »
What a cool picture! Thanks for sharing, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login !

You’re welcome! :)
I miss that already! I always stay at MGH and seeing that photo gets me the feels lol :(

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #184 on: May 08, 2020, 03:40:26 PM »
You’re welcome! :)
I miss that already! I always stay at MGH and seeing that photo gets me the feels lol :(

I always stay at MMM and feel the same...

Offline ozzz

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #185 on: May 08, 2020, 04:51:09 PM »
I always stay at MMM and feel the same...

I feel yah! I am born and raised in SD so that too! But I’ve been living in LA for 12 years now so I always had to get a hotel and always was lucky enough to get MGH! A couple years not so lucky so I stayed at my friends condo in DT 😀 my back up plan is always my friends but I never wanna bother them since they’re not married with kids and not comic con fans at all lol 😂😬

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #186 on: May 10, 2020, 11:37:29 AM »
I hope these are new to folks

Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #187 on: May 10, 2020, 12:19:26 PM »
I think I 'discovered' a great coping mechanism for me:

I'm a music teacher, and haven't seen my students or my classroom since Friday March 13th (I kinda like how my pre & post COVID-19 world is easy to remember thanks to Friday the 13th!!).  We had just started our spring Trimester, two weeks removed from concerts, and starting to prepare/think about the end of the year concerts (we have a big 3-day festival we host were 40+ bands perform; a concert percussion concert I plan/run; a spring "pops" concert; a senior-solo showcase concert; and graduation. In addition to planning for marching band which begins with me setting the drum line/percussion section & our guard staff preparing the guard during our May 'Spring Training' week-long event).  The first 3 weeks, when no one really had any idea what was going on, our district (and most of San Diego county education) was shut down with instructions to teachers "post assignments to inspire students but NOTHING can be for a grade."  We then had Spring Break, and we've been in "Distance Learning" now for three weeks (I think? Starting to get tough keeping track of time - with is, again, why I appreciate Friday the 13th being an easy demarcation line).  My stress gets amped up more each week, as I worry for students I haven't heard from, my wife works her ASS off from home, I also work as my kindergarten son's home-school teacher, and I strive to keep my HS Senior son on-task with his work.  All while knowing my district is still not quite ready yet to roll out plans for end-of-the-year "stuff" (for me that mostly involves collecting instruments checked out to students) + graduation: let alone exactly what next fall will look like.

I struggle with 'good days' & 'bad days:' nights where I sleep amazing with other nights I barely sleep.

Just like everyone else in the world, amiright?!

My main instrument is percussion, and well live in a smallish condo: 4 of us in a 2-bedroom/2-bath condo.  So I can't exactly move a drum set or large keyboard instrument into our place where I can make music.

And then I "discovered" the ukulele....

Now, I took 'strings methods' class in college (violin, viola one quarter; cello, upright bass another quarter), as well as a classical guitar class (and flamenco!), but that was a looooooong time ago.  I looked up uke prices on Amazon and found them relatively affordable so I thought I'd give it a shot a couple of weeks ago.

Well, it's been a BLAST essentially teaching myself a new musical skillset!  Ukulele is relatively simple, and there are a PLETHORA of youtube tutorials & free apps out there to teach chords & TONS of pop songs (I immediately decided I wanted to learn how to play the Eddie Vedder song "Rise," which was originally written/performed for mandolin but whatever - there are many videos that have helped me).  I'm trying to teach my youngest son as well, since he has a kid's uke (that doesn't keep in tune, but works well enough for him).

This sort of stimulation has been exactly what I've needed!  I cut my finger at the beginning of last week and have been unable to play the uke and I've noticed a substantial change in my mood this week (I was much more depressed, generally).  I look forward to getting back in the habit of teaching myself how to change chords smoothly/easily (YEA that "Rise" is only 3 chords!!).

I know the adage of "learn a new skill: become an artist!  Shakespeare wrote a brilliant play during the plague while he was battling dragons and under a witch's spell" is trying as we all cope with disaster differently, and we're all significantly busy.  But learning to play ukulele has been easyish with minimal time needed to dedicate.  If I wanted to start with simpler songs (row-row-row your boat is only, like, maybe 2 chords if not only 1) I could've learned a few songs in just an hour or so total.  This has been maybe a literal life-saver for me!

Hope you all are doing well, and I sincerely hope you all find some sort of niche/hobby you're enthusiastic about that helps you cope with all the seriously crazy trauma of current events

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #188 on: May 13, 2020, 08:41:34 AM »
i hear u You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I've loved learning to ride a motorcycle during the time of social distancing. Picking up a new skill, the 'i've always wanted to learn '______"', thing is very fulfilling! You'll have to invite us to your solo concert when we're able to get out ;)

i think the 'look inward' / possible 'reevaluation' period this quarantined time has caused could result in a lot more folks finding their personal happiness. Assuming the economy doesn't really tank, which i am scared of.

This is absolutely the funniest thing I've seen in days...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 08:47:11 AM by alyssa »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #189 on: May 24, 2020, 08:18:54 AM »
More random funnies

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #190 on: May 25, 2020, 08:03:19 PM »
Saw a girl walking down the street in a Darth Vader mask.  Thought that was pretty cool.

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 738
« Reply #191 on: July 01, 2020, 08:11:38 AM »

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #192 on: July 01, 2020, 07:26:17 PM »

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Whoever did that did a great job.  The real tricorder prop in that shot looks more fake than the masks.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #193 on: July 01, 2020, 10:38:52 PM »
Poor redshirts...

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #194 on: July 24, 2020, 06:55:49 PM »
Dr. Anthony Fauci - MLB TOPPS NOW Card 2 - Print Run: 51,512

It's an actual card.

A strong effort to the plate. Introducing the instantly iconic Dr. Fauci #ToppsNOW card!

Collect the moment - available for 24 hours only You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

$10 for 1
$30 for 5

If you buy get Free Shipping (choose Smartpost).  Available for next 17 hours only.  The website's not the easiest to buy from right now.

(1) 2.5"x3.5" trading card
Printed on 16pt Glossy Trading Card Stock
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 03:12:22 PM by SamTurtledove »