Author Topic: Random Chat  (Read 117143 times)

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
Re: Random Chat
« Reply #300 on: August 27, 2017, 08:38:53 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Lol, same. (For dinner.) Pizza is on the way and GoT is recording, I probably shouldn't be anywhere near the internets.

Yes, the interwebs are dangerous for spoilers.  :)

Online NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #301 on: August 28, 2017, 10:30:24 AM »
Ugh just had a conversation with one of those people that the new movies and comics aren't what they were when he first read them so none of it should have ever been made.  That all they are doing is making them to make money.  That argument puzzles me because that is what they were doing the first round and since when does something have to end because it's not the original version?

Aren't we still re-telling Shakespeare?

To me the idea of retelling the same story the same way sounds boring.   I like new interpretations, the progress forward, and the new additions.

To me the reason re-makes fail is because they try to copy.   The new planet of the Apes series is amazing because they to the heart and soul and re-told the story.
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #302 on: Today at 02:36:45 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #302 on: August 28, 2017, 01:30:49 PM »
Ugh just had a conversation with one of those people that the new movies and comics aren't what they were when he first read them so none of it should have ever been made.  That all they are doing is making them to make money.  That argument puzzles me because that is what they were doing the first round and since when does something have to end because it's not the original version?

Aren't we still re-telling Shakespeare?

To me the idea of retelling the same story the same way sounds boring.   I like new interpretations, the progress forward, and the new additions.

To me the reason re-makes fail is because they try to copy.   The new planet of the Apes series is amazing because they to the heart and soul and re-told the story.

Yeah, sometimes people can get a little purist. 

One of the things that I like about comic books is that they can change a character by different writers or artists working on a character.  One of the paraphrased quotes in the Cap 1 DVD is "He's been throwing that shield around for 80 years and people are still coming up with new things he can do with it."

And while the comics will always be first in my eyes over other media, some of the interpretations on screen are fantastic and have make me like aspects of the comics more. 

For example, Ledger's Joker which was a fantastic take, but the more surprising for me was Cap.  I had never been a big fan of his in the comics (nor did I hate him, he was just bland to me), but because of the movies I have a better appreciation for the character.

I do have to admit that the X-movies renditions of the Dark Phoenix Saga and the Wolverine limited series did hurt me on the level of my soul, but i just pretend they don't exist and problem solved.  :)

Online NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #303 on: August 28, 2017, 02:34:51 PM »
Yeah, sometimes people can get a little purist. 

One of the things that I like about comic books is that they can change a character by different writers or artists working on a character.  One of the paraphrased quotes in the Cap 1 DVD is "He's been throwing that shield around for 80 years and people are still coming up with new things he can do with it."

And while the comics will always be first in my eyes over other media, some of the interpretations on screen are fantastic and have make me like aspects of the comics more. 

For example, Ledger's Joker which was a fantastic take, but the more surprising for me was Cap.  I had never been a big fan of his in the comics (nor did I hate him, he was just bland to me), but because of the movies I have a better appreciation for the character.

I do have to admit that the X-movies renditions of the Dark Phoenix Saga and the Wolverine limited series did hurt me on the level of my soul, but i just pretend they don't exist and problem solved.  :)

Let's face it they aren't always going to get it right.   That's not a reason to try though because when they get it right it's awesome.

I love that you brought up the example of Cap.  He did the same but said Green Arrow shouldn't have a show because he is boring in the comic and making him exciting was wrong.   Every time someone is a nah sayer I'm going to ask you for an uplifting point of view.   I like your way of seeing things way better.
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #304 on: August 28, 2017, 03:49:33 PM »
When I hate a movie, I just remind myself how many people it employed and that at some point that was someone's dream. Someone worked hard writing it, people worked hard shooting it. A lot of people worked really hard on things and then the viewing public just poops on them without thinking of any of that. So, I always remind myself of that when I start to feel hateful about stuff.
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #305 on: August 30, 2017, 05:53:29 PM »
I donated a few, for friends and family.

We stand together. Proceeds from this #TOPPSNOW card will go Hurricane Harvey relief You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  @astros #ForHouston

• Topps Now card sale expires in under 18 hrs
  • single card is $9.99
  • All Proceeds Donated to The American Red Cross
  • FREE SHIPPING (choose Smartpost) (you'll have to add phone numbers and click on Update Card Info a few times to see the free shipping.)

will update later with edition size after 24 hrs.

8/31  PRINT RUN QTY: 799 CARDS
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 07:13:01 PM by SamTurtledove »

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #306 on: September 01, 2017, 10:25:32 PM »

FCBD 2017 publisher Titan Comics has another special day planned at comic shops this year: Doctor Who Comics Day on Saturday, September 2nd! They've announced The Lost Dimension, a new storyline spanning eight chapters that crosses over into all four ongoing Doctor Who comic book series following the Ninth, Tenth, Eleventh, and Twelfth Doctors.

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #307 on: September 03, 2017, 05:43:30 PM »

Let's face it they aren't always going to get it right.   That's not a reason to try though because when they get it right it's awesome.

I love that you brought up the example of Cap.  He did the same but said Green Arrow shouldn't have a show because he is boring in the comic and making him exciting was wrong.   Every time someone is a nah sayer I'm going to ask you for an uplifting point of view.   I like your way of seeing things way better.

The part about GA is a different way of looking at it I guess, I think adaptations that do something fun with a unexpected or underutilized character are great fun. Like Ant-Man. (Also, I think your co-worker might be reading the wrong Green Arrow comics.)

On the other hand I know I can be pretty critical of things, doggedly so in some cases. I'm like Madeline, "They say it's good to let your grudges go, but I don't know, I'm quite fond of my grudge. I tend it like a little pet."

But I totally agree it needs to be balanced, we had a long plane trip recently and the airline actually had a pretty good selection of movies so I binged. Lego Batman and Shin Godzilla were exactly what I hoped for, and The Killing Joke just left me confused so let's leave those for another time. But I really didn't care much for Kong: Skull Island, Ghost in the Shell, and (I know I'll get flak for this so I'll write it small,) John Wick 2. BUT all of those movies looked amazing. Great fx, filmography, you name it ... I would love to see the storyboards. but I just didn't care for the stories I guess.

Back to random, and to little pets. It's a little cooler today but it's been so hot lately that our dog has claimed the guest bathroom, with its nice cool tiles, as his new domain.

Offline jamiesugah

• Hall H
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 494
« Reply #308 on: September 06, 2017, 05:03:21 AM »
For all you baseball and/or Dylan O'Brien fans, last night Dylan threw out the first pitch at the Mets/Phillies game! I bought last minute tickets and was able to take this (very poor quality) video:

Author/Editor at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Twitter: @jamiesugah

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #309 on: September 06, 2017, 01:28:16 PM »
For all you baseball and/or Dylan O'Brien fans, last night Dylan threw out the first pitch at the Mets/Phillies game! I bought last minute tickets and was able to take this (very poor quality) video:

For some reason I thought it'd be Hoechlin since he's, like, the baseball guy.  Even though you were talking about it all day, I did a double take when I realized it was Dylan instead.

Offline jamiesugah

• Hall H
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 494
« Reply #310 on: September 06, 2017, 03:36:25 PM »
For some reason I thought it'd be Hoechlin since he's, like, the baseball guy.  Even though you were talking about it all day, I did a double take when I realized it was Dylan instead.

Dylan's a huge baseball fan. When he was doing promotion for Scorch Trials, he went on the MLB Network and got to call the highlights for the Mets. There was a big push a few years ago to get him to throw out the first pitch - the Mets even tweeted him about it. I'm happy for him that he got to do it because it was one of his life goals.

Funny enough, Hoechlin actually threw out the first pitch at a Dodgers' game in, I think, 2012. Dylan was catching for him.

Hoechlin also did the celebrity all-star game last year.

I...know a lot about this.
Author/Editor at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Twitter: @jamiesugah

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #311 on: September 06, 2017, 04:28:36 PM »
Funny enough, Hoechlin actually threw out the first pitch at a Dodgers' game in, I think, 2012. Dylan was catching for him.

This is... great.  Very great.   ;D

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #312 on: September 07, 2017, 05:00:18 PM »
It's green chile season! The SF bay area Mollie Stone's are doing roasting, although some of the dates have already passed.

Offline FBS

• Fulfillment Room
    • http://www.marksearby.com/
  • Liked: 510
« Reply #313 on: September 08, 2017, 12:04:32 PM »
Last night I did my first live TV slot.
30 minutes is not long enough for me to talk and what face am I pulling here??

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #314 on: September 08, 2017, 12:18:42 PM »
You look like a snooty film critic! ;)

Congrats on your first TV spot, FBS!