Author Topic: SDCC 2017 Cosplay Plans/Progress  (Read 18289 times)

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
Re: SDCC 2017 Cosplay Plans/Progress
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2017, 08:10:45 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Where did your husband get the Legion tracksuit custom made? I tried looking for that but couldn't find anything besides some jackets and pants that closely match color/style and then add some yellow tape, etc.
It was on Aliexpress, and it came from China (I think). We used a virtual card number, because they don't offer Paypal. It was an experiment, as I know some have had issues with the cosplay stuff from overseas, but this was well made. I guess I shouldn't have used the word custom, I really meant hand made (at least I think it was). The shipping can take a while. We splurged for the expedited shipping (because it wasn't too much more). He is very happy with it.
Ang

Offline everlastingwhy

• Exhibit Hall
  • TV nerd + GIFmaker
  • Liked: 29
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2017, 09:01:31 AM »
It was on Aliexpress, and it came from China (I think). We used a virtual card number, because they don't offer Paypal. It was an experiment, as I know some have had issues with the cosplay stuff from overseas, but this was well made. I guess I shouldn't have used the word custom, I really meant hand made (at least I think it was). The shipping can take a while. We splurged for the expedited shipping (because it wasn't too much more). He is very happy with it.

I thought I had checked there but it turns out I didn't. Found it thank you!

Yeah I ordered a Queenie dress for my cosplay from etsy this year because a few years ago I ordered a custom Black Widow jumpsuit from aliexpress with all my measurements and it all came out 6in short it was a disaster but then my Rey costume last year from aliexpress turned out pretty well so it's kind of a toss up. I wanted to dress as Syd from Legion who has white stripes on her suit vs. yellow on David's so I could slap together something with pieces from Amazon which I'll probably do for NYCC :)

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 07:15:52 AM »

Offline smiley424

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 74
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2017, 08:26:30 PM »
I finally finished Peter Parker's homemade Spiderman costume!

Here's hoping that I don't get a heatstroke under that mask
Looks awesome!  I am planning to do MCU Ned Leeds wearing the Stark Suit after seeing that in the trailer.  I figure it'll be the only way I will ever cosplay a Spidey suit.

I have a couple more ideas planned, we shall see what happens.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 01:40:16 PM by smiley424 »
SDCC 2014
NYCC 2015
NYCC 2016
SDCC 2017
NYCC 2018
SDCC 2019
NYCC 2019
SDCC 2022
NYCC 2022

TravT77

SDCC 2017 Cosplay Plans/Progress
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2017, 05:02:45 PM »
@jazzyj ,did you make the red slippers? Or did you find them to purchase. A black pair like that would be great for my costume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jazzyj

• Gaming Lounge
  • Cheese and Carb Enthusiast
  • Liked: 302
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2017, 11:33:59 PM »
[member=1908]jazzyj[/member] ,did you make the red slippers? Or did you find them to purchase. A black pair like that would be great for my costume.

I bought red Toms for the costume and they definitely sell black versions too! They're pretty pricey for slip-ons ($50) but honestly they're super comfy and if you're getting the black ones, they will go great with any outfit outside of cosplaying (I know I wear mine a lot). I'd definitely recommend owning a pair!

Offline everlastingwhy

• Exhibit Hall
  • TV nerd + GIFmaker
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2017, 05:48:38 AM »
My Queenie shoes came yesterday and they're like handmade? But poorly-so. The straps across the top are too loose in some places and looks weird and the heel is massively high so idk how I will survive

I'm sorry i literally cannot figure out how to insert an image into the post
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 05:53:07 AM by everlastingwhy »

TravT77

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2017, 06:16:40 AM »
Any of you cosplay experts have a tip on how to get carved/sanded craft foam to have a smooth finish for painting? I hit it with a heat gun then sealed with glue/water mix, but still can't get a clean finish :(

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2017, 07:17:22 AM »
My Queenie shoes came yesterday and they're like handmade? But poorly-so. The straps across the top are too loose in some places and looks weird and the heel is massively high so idk how I will survive

I'm sorry i literally cannot figure out how to insert an image into the post

I see what you mean, the strap on the right looks twisted? Very strange! I'd contact the person who made them to get it right.

I can't see the heels, but how thick are they? Stilettos are the worst for balancing. Thicker heels (with more surface area on the bottom) are better. Make sure you get some good gel insoles.

Offline jazzyj

• Gaming Lounge
  • Cheese and Carb Enthusiast
  • Liked: 302
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2017, 07:58:31 AM »
Any of you cosplay experts have a tip on how to get carved/sanded craft foam to have a smooth finish for painting? I hit it with a heat gun then sealed with glue/water mix, but still can't get a clean finish :(

From my experience working with foam, I don't do a glue/water mix and instead just opt for the glue. I use multiple layers of Mod Podge until I get the smooth finish I like. I would test it out on a scrap piece first if you want to see how multiple layers of Mod Podge would look/feel like on your armor.

There's also the Plastidip or Rondo option. I haven't used Rondo myself since I'd like to avoid any harsh chemicals (and I'm not good at applying either Bondo or resin) but Plastidip is worth a shot. I used it for a weapon once and it gave pretty smooth results. I'd definitely check out the boards over at therpf since the people there are experienced with foam armor.

Offline appaloosafire

• Freebie Table
  • A man of no consequence.
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2017, 10:36:43 AM »
My King Noctis cosplay is finally beginning to come together!  ;D I just need to wait for somebody to get the details hammered out for a 3D printed Ring of Lucii, find some appropriate shoes as well as a shirt to go under it all. I'm so excited to rock it all at SDCC 2017!!

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2017, 01:07:14 PM »
Wow, that looks amazing [member=7241]appaloosafire[/member]  !

Offline everlastingwhy

• Exhibit Hall
  • TV nerd + GIFmaker
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2017, 01:34:55 PM »
My Queenie dress arrived!! (For fantastic beasts) I'm really pleased with it

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2017, 02:25:46 PM »
Awesome! Looks fantastic! *thumbs up*

TravT77

SDCC 2017 Cosplay Plans/Progress
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2017, 02:40:22 PM »
First, nice dress @everlastingwhy!

Secondly, have any of you ever had your costumes shipped to your hotel?  Can't imagine trying to fly my getup with me across country. Wondering how far in advance of arrival the hotel will hold a large package?  Staying at the Westin Gaslamp, in case anyone has actual experience with that hotel.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 07:24:58 PM by TravT77 »

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2017, 03:21:45 PM »
Wow! Ity really looks like 'rusting' metal! And the lights are cool too!

Have you tried a FedEx office? I recall someone saying that you could ship to a specific FedEx location and they would hold it for you. There's a FedEx office in the MGH, and one in the Gaslamp on 6th and C (a little closer to your hotel).