Author Topic: What do you think of implementing RFID chips in Comic-Con badges?  (Read 8453 times)

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
Re: What do you think of implementing RFID chips in Comic-Con badges?
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2014, 06:43:49 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Random thoughts and musings...

I can see this working with the aforementioned turn style-type of setup previously mentioned...using them at various train stations and such, they aren't too bad...the question really becomes one of volume...130K+ peeps is a lot...plus...in the scenario of the trains...those are stationary forever...this center has to cater to those events that won't be using them...so now there's a cost tied to setting up/tearing down each day...

Also...what of vendors...same thing apply?  I know of some that don't have the same staff all weekend, would they give out "generic" vendor badges (vendor A needs 5, so not tied to any one person)...

Just babbling on now...not opposed, or blatantly for, shoot, I'm a techy and I'm all for anything that helps ease pain, I'm just wondering if the scale/scope is just too big...

And now, back to Raiders of The Lost Ark (watching and reading at the same time :) )

At NYCC 2013, they had tablets that scanned the RFID-enhanced badges instead of using turnstiles (or baffle gates):

The RFID service would obviously have to be outsourced, and as part of the contract, they would probably have to negotiate the number of tablets to be used at con and then train some Comic-Con staff members use the RFID-specific tablets (not that it would be too hard, since people would just have to "tap" their badges instead of waiting for bar code scans).  In addition to that, each RFID scan point or location might also need a good WiFi or 4G connection in the general area to transfer data to the main RFID database.  There are actually ways for conventions to install a WiFi access point at any location within the convention center (trust me, I've seen it happen with other conventions; it's definitely possible).

The tablets made it portable, so they won't have to be hard-wired or tied down to one location.  Installation of turnstiles wouldn't be a problem.

Hypothetically, exhibitors could have generic RFID badges for their helpers, possibly a specific set of them for only one exhibitor.  The main point is that they make sure that their helpers of the day give it back to them because replacing the badges would cost the exhibitors more money.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 06:46:34 PM by Zero »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline Pyramid

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Comic Con is a Black Hole for my wallet.
  • Liked: 549
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2014, 07:00:29 PM »
Turnstiles impede foot traffic and if I remember my Fire Tech correctly the fire code would probably limit attendees to an even lower number.  Just have the tablets and some big ol' burly security dude and prob solved.  Though Candy Crush may be a problem with tablets.  ;)
Twitter feed:  wes@comicconster

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2014, 07:19:55 PM »
there'd be a storm but it'd sell out.  it might take a full 5 mins to fill the waiting room tho  :o

Agreed.

Offline Vapors

• Ballroom 20
  • 1999-current
  • Liked: 268
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2014, 07:29:28 PM »
I've used RFID wristbands at Coachella (I believe they have been using them for about 3 years now) and here are a few of my observations.

1.  They ship them in wristbands and issue new ones every year, even if you've gone the prior years before.  So that means every year you need to make sure you get your badge on time.  There can be issues with this delivery.  Last year, my roommate did not receive his badge and called them, only to find out he had been tagged as an international mail out and for whatever reason, was going to have to pick his badge up on site (which can be a hassle).  Thankfully he got that resolved.

2.  You need a high volume of entry and exit ways.  Coachella works by having several dozen entrances that have the scanners.  But there are also several dozen exits that exist because you have to log out when you leave.  If you don't and you try to reenter, you will be denied.  The question would be where would you place the scanners without causing too much of a back up during high peak times?  Place them at the outside entrances to get in the convention?  Place them at entrances of the exhibit hall and panel rooms?  On the side walks outside the convention?  The key for Coachella is they can limit to only a couple of locations where the scanners are, for SDCC, there must be several dozen different entry ways for regular folk and guests to enter through.

3.  Cost.  This is probably apples to oranges comparison but Coachella tickets cost about $375 for this year's badge.  In the last few years, prices have gone up.  In 2011 (the year before they issued RFID wristbands), ticket price was about $270 (not including applicable fees).  How much of that began with improved security measures tied to the RFID badges or was simply a matter of increased costs elsewhere, who knows, but since some are wondering about price ramifications, there you go.

4.  Tracking.  While this will probably aid Comic Con in the future with how to manage flow, at Coachella, the only use appears to be logging onto Spotify and Facebook to tag yourself on who you are seeing at the moment.  For SDCC, they can probably start figuring out which panels and what areas people traffic the most and hopefully use that to better coordinate scheduling and locations.

For me, I wouldn't mind if they began switching from lanyards to the wristband.  Its easier to take care of as it always stays on your wrist, so no fear of it falling off.  Its much smaller, so easier to store as a keepsake.  And it seems to much more high tech (seriously, they've been using the same lanyard techniques for almost a decade now, have counterfeiters not figured out how to copy these things?).  I'd say I'd be down for RFID but only if they put them as wristbands but my only fear is the increase of cost that may be associated with it.

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2014, 07:40:53 PM »
I've used RFID wristbands at Coachella (I believe they have been using them for about 3 years now) and here are a few of my observations.

1.  They ship them in wristbands and issue new ones every year, even if you've gone the prior years before.  So that means every year you need to make sure you get your badge on time.  There can be issues with this delivery.  Last year, my roommate did not receive his badge and called them, only to find out he had been tagged as an international mail out and for whatever reason, was going to have to pick his badge up on site (which can be a hassle).  Thankfully he got that resolved.

2.  You need a high volume of entry and exit ways.  Coachella works by having several dozen entrances that have the scanners.  But there are also several dozen exits that exist because you have to log out when you leave.  If you don't and you try to reenter, you will be denied.  The question would be where would you place the scanners without causing too much of a back up during high peak times?  Place them at the outside entrances to get in the convention?  Place them at entrances of the exhibit hall and panel rooms?  On the side walks outside the convention?  The key for Coachella is they can limit to only a couple of locations where the scanners are, for SDCC, there must be several dozen different entry ways for regular folk and guests to enter through.

3.  Cost.  This is probably apples to oranges comparison but Coachella tickets cost about $375 for this year's badge.  In the last few years, prices have gone up.  In 2011 (the year before they issued RFID wristbands), ticket price was about $270 (not including applicable fees).  How much of that began with improved security measures tied to the RFID badges or was simply a matter of increased costs elsewhere, who knows, but since some are wondering about price ramifications, there you go.

4.  Tracking.  While this will probably aid Comic Con in the future with how to manage flow, at Coachella, the only use appears to be logging onto Spotify and Facebook to tag yourself on who you are seeing at the moment.  For SDCC, they can probably start figuring out which panels and what areas people traffic the most and hopefully use that to better coordinate scheduling and locations.

For me, I wouldn't mind if they began switching from lanyards to the wristband.  Its easier to take care of as it always stays on your wrist, so no fear of it falling off.  Its much smaller, so easier to store as a keepsake.  And it seems to much more high tech (seriously, they've been using the same lanyard techniques for almost a decade now, have counterfeiters not figured out how to copy these things?).  I'd say I'd be down for RFID but only if they put them as wristbands but my only fear is the increase of cost that may be associated with it.

Interesting feedback on the Coachella RFID wristbands.  Thanks, Vapors.

One of the main issues I see with wristbands is having to easily take it off when showering.  Let's face it.  If Comic-Con used RFID wristbands (which will short out if placed in water), the Exhibit Hall would smell much, much worse than it already does because there will be more people who *will not* shower during con.

For the sake of hygiene, I don't think that's something we want.  Ha ha.  (...Unless they make wristbands that can be detachable.)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 07:46:52 PM by Zero »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Vapors

• Ballroom 20
  • 1999-current
  • Liked: 268
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2014, 08:03:55 PM »
Interesting feedback on the Coachella RFID wristbands.  Thanks, Vapors.

One of the main issues I see with wristbands is having to easily take it off when showering.  Let's face it.  If Comic-Con used RFID wristbands (which will short out if placed in water), the Exhibit Hall would smell much, much worse than it already does because there will be more people who *will not* shower during con.

For the sake of hygiene, I don't think that's something we want.  Ha ha.  (...Unless they make wristbands that can be detachable.)

For hygiene, you can take a showers with the thing since the RFID chip is inside a plastic section of the wristband.  The wristband is made of cloth, so it provides some comfort.  One person in our group thought the thing was itchy, but no one else had any issues.  The wristband is also designed that once you put on and tighten, it can't be loosened and taken off (and thus given to someone else for scalping purposes or otherwise).  So basically it is a part of you for the whole weekend.  Below is a pic.  Note the yellow bead at the end, that's what is used to tighten the wristband and keep from being loosened.  The ga section is where the RFID chip is housed.  If you are afraid the wristband will maintain a funk for all four plus days, I don't think you have to worry about anything.  In the years I have gone, considering all the dust, sweat, sunscreen and other things that cover us, as long as you shower, there won't be a smell.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 08:05:56 PM by Vapors »

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2014, 08:18:28 PM »
For hygiene, you can take a showers with the thing since the RFID chip is inside a plastic section of the wristband.  The wristband is made of cloth, so it provides some comfort.  One person in our group thought the thing was itchy, but no one else had any issues.  The wristband is also designed that once you put on and tighten, it can't be loosened and taken off (and thus given to someone else for scalping purposes or otherwise).  So basically it is a part of you for the whole weekend.  Below is a pic.  Note the yellow bead at the end, that's what is used to tighten the wristband and keep from being loosened.  The ga section is where the RFID chip is housed.  If you are afraid the wristband will maintain a funk for all four plus days, I don't think you have to worry about anything.  In the years I have gone, considering all the dust, sweat, sunscreen and other things that cover us, as long as you shower, there won't be a smell.

Yeah, I Googled some images, but I wasn't sure if the "bead" at the end was moveable or not once you put it on.  Thanks for the clarification!  ^__^

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2014, 08:18:43 PM »
I like this wristband idea!

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk

Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2014, 08:23:13 PM »
I like this wristband idea!

Maybe I'm just old-fashioned when it comes to conventions, but I like having a lanyard and badge.  I like keeping it as part of my collection of badges over the years.  *laughs*

Generally speaking, the wrist bands are a good idea in theory though.  Ha ha.

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2014, 08:25:00 PM »
Maybe I'm just old-fashioned when it comes to conventions, but I like having a lanyard and badge.  I like keeping it as part of my collection of badges over the years.  *laughs*

Generally speaking, the wrist bands are a good idea in theory though.  Ha ha.

You could start a collection of wristbands on a lanyard! Haha

Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
My Twitter

Offline Pyramid

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2014, 08:25:10 PM »
I'm down with the wristbands, my SDCC badge collection has overtaken the door knob.

Offline susanml10881

• Hall H
  • Liked: 152
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2014, 08:49:18 PM »
I'd rather have photos on the badges. I think that would deter scalpers or passing badges around?

I think that would be cheaper and easier than having scanners?

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2014, 08:51:31 PM »
Could anything be slower than issuing a picture badge though?

Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
My Twitter

Offline Pyramid

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2014, 08:54:37 PM »
Could anything be slower than issuing a picture badge though?

Fingerprinting.  DNA sample. 

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2014, 08:55:49 PM »
Fingerprinting.  DNA sample.

Hahaha!

Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
My Twitter