Author Topic: Reports & check ins in the age of Covid  (Read 127685 times)

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 738
Re: Reports & check ins in the age of Covid
« Reply #570 on: January 23, 2021, 01:10:51 PM »
4 of us were trying to get an appt and we all failed. All of those appts at Petco won't do us any good until they change the age limit. This is so disheartening. I feel like I let her down trying to potentially save her life.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #571 on: January 23, 2021, 01:19:45 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
4 of us were trying to get an appt and we all failed. All of those appts at Petco won't do us any good until they change the age limit. This is so disheartening. I feel like I let her down trying to potentially save her life.

i feel u're pain
I'm trying to get an appointments for my folks in philly... they're 80+

what good is it having 'skills' if you can't take care of your family?
I'll get notified when the site changes down to 70 & will text u
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #572 on: Today at 06:23:48 AM »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #572 on: January 23, 2021, 01:42:50 PM »
massive amounts of appointments available at petco right now

Not just at Petco but at all the San Diego sites.  It's a shame that appts are going on unused today.  In 5 minutes another batch of appts will go unclaimed at Petco.  They should lower the age to 65 in San Diego now.  It seems that all the 1As including the 75 and over are done.

It seems that California is spinning up a statewide coordinated vaccine effort.  The county sites are now scheduled through a California wide website instead of locally.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #573 on: January 23, 2021, 04:25:27 PM »
Not just at Petco but at all the San Diego sites.  It's a shame that appts are going on unused today.  In 5 minutes another batch of appts will go unclaimed at Petco.  They should lower the age to 65 in San Diego now.  It seems that all the 1As including the 75 and over are done.

It seems that California is spinning up a statewide coordinated vaccine effort.  The county sites are now scheduled through a California wide website instead of locally.
On the flip side...

Some good friends of mine, older than I (I'm in my mid-40's, the oldest of this couple is low-60's), recently had their mom pass away this past week.  She was in her late-90's, and has been living in an assisted living home in San Diego (in the Poway/Rancho Bernardo area) for several years now.  Yesterday my friends were cleaning out mom's apartment, and as they were walking out in the lobby, an employee was putting up information about vaccine administration for today (Saturday).  The husband (whose mom is the one who died) just casually mentioned something like, "boy I'd love to get it on that" and the employee said, "well, you can!"  Apparently at this assisted living residence, they had gotten their vaccine doses and were giving them up by 1) residents (all very old, many with health complications) 2) employees (the med. staff had already received both vaccine doses) 3) family of residents.  This was based on different time frames, so if there were zero doses left after employees then family were out of luck.  They should up a bit early late this morning and sure enough got their first shot & an appointment for their 2nd dose in a few weeks.

My parents in AZ (both well under 70) also just made their appointments for their 2 doses earlier in the week.

So it sucks that we're all sitting around and waiting.  And waiting.  And waiting.

And waiting.

But at least there ARE folks taking care of business. 

I know we all hate having to wait: I used to _LOVE_ pre-purchasing my SDCCI badge for the next year the week of the Con (so, like, Thursday morning of 2005 Comic-Con I'd pre-pay for my 4-day w/PN badge for 2006...probably for, like, $50), and even the last year they pre-sold badges on-site I was there Thursday morning well before sun-up to wait in line to buy my next year's badge and end my waiting as quick as possible.  Heck, I'm a music teacher who hasn't seen the majority of my students in-person since March 13th 2020 & due to the awful COVID case-rates in San Diego County I haven't even seen my classroom since December 2020!  We have to have some faith that the process will work and we & our loved ones will get vaccinated, the virus won't mutate, and we'll all be OK eventually.  (I'm massively impatient so of course this is often much easier to write than live  :-X ).

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #574 on: January 23, 2021, 05:01:53 PM »

i can't see them holding at 75 for much longer- I've been expecting my notification ding of change to go off at any point. my guess is they'll have to drop the age on monday at the latest
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #575 on: January 23, 2021, 06:00:43 PM »
and it's official, 65 and over is a go,  tier 1B

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 738
« Reply #576 on: January 24, 2021, 06:11:28 AM »
and it's official, 65 and over is a go,  tier 1B
This is only for San Diego and Orange County. Other counties coming soon.

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 829
« Reply #577 on: January 24, 2021, 08:30:36 PM »
I heard there are a few hospitals in Los Angeles that have limited unused supplies of the vaccine at the end of the day that they give out to people not on the priority list (20, 30 and 40 somethings for example).  But this means you have to show up at the crack of dawn and wait in an unofficial or impromptu line.  Just like waiting for a Hall H panel two days in advance.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 12:06:44 PM by Andrew Costa Mesa »
WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Offline Mario Wario

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Crazy-Town Banana-Pants!
  • Liked: 684
« Reply #578 on: January 24, 2021, 09:34:23 PM »

Hmmmmm, looks like CA’s stay-at-home order is getting lifted tomorrow (Monday).
Twitter: @ScottyTheWise

2014: SDCC, LBCC
2015: WC, SWCA, WW Sac., D23, LBCC, Comikaze
2016: SVCC, WC, SDCC
2017: ECCC, WC, SVCC, D23, SDCC
2018: WC, SVCC, E3, SDCC
2019: WC, SDCC, D23
2022: SWCA, SDCC, D23
2023: SDCC

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #579 on: January 25, 2021, 12:36:27 AM »
How vaccinations have gone in San Diego is illustrative.  There's a big rush when a new criteria opens up like 75 and older but then it drops off precipitously.  There are an estimated 620,000 people in tier 1A and over 75.  There's no way that many people have been vaccinated.  Not even half that.  Yet a week after it was opened up to 75 and over, the county literally coudn't give away vaccination appts.  Let's see how long demand holds up with the people 65 and over.  Right now there are already unclaimed appts at some vaccination sites in San Diego County.  They happen to be in the neighborhoods that are hot spots.  Places where you see plenty of people that don't wear masks.  Which makes sense.  If they can't be bothered to wear a mask, why would they get vaccinated?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 01:15:39 PM by chocolateshake »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #580 on: January 25, 2021, 04:55:46 AM »
Right now there are already unclaimed appts at some test sites in San Diego County.  They happen to be in the neighborhoods that are hot spots.  Places where you see plenty of people that don't wear masks.  Which makes sense.  If they can't be bothered to wear a mask, why would they get vaccinated?
Thx for the tip. I've got a non-forum friend who's looking for apptments for her parents,

Hmmmmm, looks like CA’s stay-at-home order is getting lifted tomorrow (Monday).

Ironically, most folks will stay hm due to the rain LOL

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #581 on: January 25, 2021, 07:54:32 AM »
Petco is closed today, apartments are to be honored later on this week. do not reschedule

oh, one more thing, if anyone is interested in volunteering & getting inoculated, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 09:09:22 AM by alyssa »

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 251
« Reply #582 on: January 25, 2021, 09:37:25 AM »
Petco is closed today, apartments are to be honored later on this week. do not reschedule

oh, one more thing, if anyone is interested in volunteering & getting inoculated, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Are you saying volunteers will get inoculated?

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #583 on: January 25, 2021, 10:44:38 AM »
Are you saying volunteers will get inoculated?

I believe that is the case-  at least that is what i was told

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #584 on: January 25, 2021, 12:24:35 PM »
How vaccinations have gone in San Diego is illustrative.  There's a big rush when a new criteria opens up like 75 and older but then it drops off precipitously.  There are an estimated 620,000 people in tier 1A and over 75.  There's no way that many people have been vaccinated.  Not even half that.  Yet a week after it was opened up to 75 and over, the county literally coudn't give away vaccination appts.  Let's see how long demand holds up with the people 65 and over.  Right now there are already unclaimed appts at some test sites in San Diego County.  They happen to be in the neighborhoods that are hot spots.  Places where you see plenty of people that don't wear masks.  Which makes sense.  If they can't be bothered to wear a mask, why would they get vaccinated?
According to the SD county gov website 442k+ vaccination doses have shipped, with only 192k+ administered (including 31k+ being fully vaccinated).  That leads almost quarter of a million doses currently not administered (and almost 100k additional doses than needed for the 2nd does of those who've already received their first dose).