Author Topic: Comic-Con Special Edition 2021  (Read 44611 times)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
Re: Comic-Con Special Edition 2021
« Reply #210 on: September 21, 2021, 12:18:01 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I finally got in also - and completed checkout with 20 secs to spare! They didn't give much time to do everything!
Yeah, I dunno if I just type really fast (I know I type pretty fast), or what: I didn't feel any rush to complete things.  Conversely, seeing the 5 mins click by while the system was screwed up felt like _FOREVER_

Online sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #211 on: September 21, 2021, 01:02:53 PM »
Yeah, I dunno if I just type really fast (I know I type pretty fast), or what: I didn't feel any rush to complete things.  Conversely, seeing the 5 mins click by while the system was screwed up felt like _FOREVER_

If they stick with Five (5) minutes for the Saturday badge sale....  Yeesh.... ???
Phasers on Stun!!!

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #212 on: Today at 03:34:33 PM »

Offline chad-stroup

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #212 on: September 21, 2021, 01:30:07 PM »
So far I can't get an actual human at Pro Reg to help me out with my issue, just automated responses. Sigh...

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #213 on: September 22, 2021, 08:52:43 AM »
If they stick with Five (5) minutes for the Saturday badge sale....  Yeesh.... ???
Right; the log in was just two lines, which likely took me a total of 15 seconds to type-tab-type-enter; so constantly seeing that register as 'invalid' made that 5 mins take foooooooorrrrreeeeeeeeevvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeerrrrrrrrr
(also I have 7 shots of espresso latte as my morning drink, so by 11am that was in full swing which likely made me slightly less patient  :P )

Offline chad-stroup

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #214 on: September 22, 2021, 09:42:20 AM »
Has anyone who couldn't get their guest verified and registered yesterday had any luck with getting a response from anyone at Pro Reg yet? I've only received automated responses. They say to let them know if you still have further issues, which I have, but nobody has responded yet.

Offline rickythump

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #215 on: September 22, 2021, 10:27:47 AM »
Has anyone who couldn't get their guest verified and registered yesterday had any luck with getting a response from anyone at Pro Reg yet? I've only received automated responses. They say to let them know if you still have further issues, which I have, but nobody has responded yet.

I had to contact the Pro Department a few years ago to have a name on a badge corrected and it took a bit of time for them to get back to me.  Patience is the key for communicating with them. It looks like they still have Pro spots still available, so I'm sure you they will get you sorted eventually.

Offline chad-stroup

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #216 on: September 22, 2021, 10:52:09 AM »
I had to contact the Pro Department a few years ago to have a name on a badge corrected and it took a bit of time for them to get back to me.  Patience is the key for communicating with them. It looks like they still have Pro spots still available, so I'm sure you they will get you sorted eventually.

Hope you're right. I saw a few other people on Twitter who reached out to them at the same time as I did yesterday morning and were helped immediately. Not sure why it's lagging for me.

Offline dalemahq

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #217 on: September 22, 2021, 11:30:26 AM »
Press emails just went out

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #218 on: September 22, 2021, 12:08:39 PM »
I suspect with all of the registration 'action' going on right now (volunteers Mon; Pros Tues; Gen Sat; now Press) they're pretty busy/focused - likely gearing up for Saturday's Gen Reg.  The interesting thing about SDCC SE is that CCI has never done a Con that time of year before, so everything as far as attendee interest is pure guestimate.  When they do sales for WonderCon and SDCCI, they know from history what to expect with the systems + how many people trying at one time to get badges.  So they may be a bit pre-occupied this week gearing up for Saturday.  I was kind of (pleasantly) surprised how relatively quickly they were able to problem solve the Pro Reg issues yesterday.  I figured we'd be getting an email Tuesday afternoon with a "sorry we had issues; we'll try this again Wed. or Thurs." instead of "oh: 20-30 mins later everything is mostly back to normal so go at it."

Hopefully it works out.  I had a minor issue in 2019 with a guest badge and it did take some time for them to straighten everything out.  I kind of preferred their "old way" when Pros could seemingly wait and add guests at a later time, but I understand that maybe wouldn't work with the new registration system.

Offline SteveD

• Administrator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1680
« Reply #219 on: September 22, 2021, 02:45:02 PM »
Emails with link to the badge sale are going out now.  :)

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #220 on: September 22, 2021, 03:42:59 PM »
One more note on the volunteer registration. Before it closed, I went back in again and then got a time of almost ONE HOUR in which to complete the volunteer stuff.  Compared to the 2 min 15 sec  I got earlier...whoa!

It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #221 on: September 22, 2021, 09:16:34 PM »
Emails with link to the badge sale are going out now.  :)

Of note, unlike with the earlier volunteer registration, they are advising people not to check in early.  Check in to the waiting room is between 10-11am, but there is no advantage to do it at 10am as oppose to 10:45am.  They are advising people to do it 10-15 minutes before 11am.  The way they emphasized there was no need to rush in at 10am makes me think that a lot of people were trying to get in at 10am on the dot which was a problem.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #222 on: September 23, 2021, 05:23:45 AM »
I have read all the badge info I can find for Saturday's sale, but have not been able to ferret out how much time we will have to enter information once allowed into the actual  badge purchase screens.  Considering the surprise I had at the paltry 2 min 15 sec, I got for the volunteer registration, I sure hope we get more than that.  For the last sale, we were told that badges would be held for --I think 10 min. -- once selected, while we entered info. It would calm my nerves a bit if I knew.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 06:12:47 AM by marcia29 »
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #223 on: September 23, 2021, 07:09:33 AM »
Of note, unlike with the earlier volunteer registration, they are advising people not to check in early.  Check in to the waiting room is between 10-11am, but there is no advantage to do it at 10am as oppose to 10:45am.  They are advising people to do it 10-15 minutes before 11am.  The way they emphasized there was no need to rush in at 10am makes me think that a lot of people were trying to get in at 10am on the dot which was a problem.
This seems to be true w/my own anecdotal experience over the years + Tuesday for Pro sales.  My wife logged in sooner than I did Tuesday & I got into the buying room before she did by about 5 mins.  This is happened constantly over the years for SDCCI sales as well, when a computer that logs in right at the 'wait room is open' time gets in way later than computer that logs in 5 mins before sales are set to begin.

Offline SDcomics

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 214
« Reply #224 on: September 23, 2021, 07:12:06 AM »

With current COVID-19 restrictions and guidelines, Comic-Con Special Edition is not intended to be the large gathering reflective of the summer event. Reduced in attendance, shorter in the number of days, and purposefully smaller in scope, this convention is meant to be a more intimate gathering while still evoking the fun community feeling our conventions are known for, including great exhibits, programs, cosplay, gaming, and other events, but also addressing the desire from fans to have an in-person show. If that weren’t enough, while your friends may be out battling the crowds on Black Friday, you can enjoy your very own Fannish Friday Shopping at Special Edition.

We're gonna get some great deals, I bet.  Bring your back issue want list, fellow comic book collectors.   :)

Long-time attendees may find some aspects of Special Edition to be reminiscent of our convention from years past. Halls G and H, for example, will be the staging area for Attendee Registration,  and with the exception of some events at the Marriott Marquis Hotel, the majority of Special Edition will be held within the walls of the San Diego Convention Center.

Well, no Hall H.  But honestly, I kind of figured that.

We had our first show at that convention center in 1991, I think.  There was no Hall H then because Hall H hadn't even been built yet.  The convention center was only half the size it is now.  It was expanded in 2000.  The spot where Hall H is now used to be a parking lot.

This is really works for me.  A smaller show with mostly locals?  Bring it.

Don't shoot me, but I hope Comic Con Special Edition becomes a regular thing.  Not on Thanksgiving weekend, but closer to Halloween would be fun.  It would give us something to look forward to in that long stretch between Comic Con and Wonder Con.