Author Topic: Books - What are you reading?  (Read 79166 times)

Offline rushfanyyz

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 211
Re: Books - What are you reading?
« Reply #270 on: September 08, 2017, 08:42:50 AM »
I'm also getting through some of the ARCs I got at sdcc:

Otherworld by Jason Segal and Kirsten Miller
Really enjoyed this one! It was similar to Ready Player One and the Eye of Minds books in that it is a virtual reality based story, but different enough that I was happy with it.  Without giving to much away, there is a different "bad guy" and the way the virtual reality works is different.  I liked the different areas he had to go through, the characters were neat, plot moved quickly.  If you liked Ready Player One I would recommend it.

Also, thank you random person that was at the booth the same time as me and asked for it.  I had no idea the giveaway was happening, so I just copied him and said I was also there for Otherworld and she handed me the book as well as some sunglasses.  Nobody needs to know I didn't know what the book was and was in the right place at the right time. Ha.

Bonfire by Krysten Ritter
Another good one, albeit simple.  Kinda a murder-mystery plot, kinda an investigative journalist plot.  An environmental lawyer goes back to her hometown to essentially solve a murder but there is a bigger conspiracy afoot! gasp! lol.  It wasn't super unique, I could tell what would happen early on, but that's not to say I didn't enjoy it.  I couldn't put it down, I wanted to keep reading to see if I was right/find out what would happen to a few characters.  A solid quick read-beach read? Is that what I'm going for? Good first book by Krysten.

Artemis-I think I've talked about it on here already but I'll say again I really really really liked it.  Haven't read The Martian so don't know how it compares but I lovvved Artemis.

TravT77

Books - What are you reading?
« Reply #271 on: September 08, 2017, 12:19:10 PM »
Second Hand Souls by Christopher Moore (sequel to A Dirty Job). Honestly, can't say I'm in love with the story. I read the first book expecting things to get more exciting, but they never really did. So I kinda felt I had to read the follow up just to see if the story gets any better. So far, meh.

Also been nibbling on the The Game is Life series by Terry Schott. It has a Ready Player One/Matrix feel to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 03:37:39 PM by TravT77 »

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #272 on: Today at 01:20:08 AM »

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #272 on: September 08, 2017, 12:56:00 PM »
I bet nobody can guess what I plan to start reading this weekend!
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #273 on: September 08, 2017, 01:00:32 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I bet nobody can guess what I plan to start reading this weekend!

Does it have a chin? ;)

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #274 on: September 08, 2017, 02:48:50 PM »
Does it have a chin? ;)

Maybe  :o

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #275 on: September 08, 2017, 03:30:56 PM »
This has a chin. Might it be related somehow?

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #276 on: September 08, 2017, 05:12:33 PM »
This has a chin. Might it be related somehow?

I'm not reading Harry Potter!  :P

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 591
« Reply #277 on: September 09, 2017, 02:49:26 PM »
Brandon Sanderson fans, TOR Books is releasing 3 chapters a week every Tuesday of his latest installment of his Stormlight Archive series, Oathbringer leading up to its release in November FOR FREE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #278 on: September 12, 2017, 11:57:01 AM »

In 2014, Comic-Con International embarked on an ambitious program to create graphic novel book clubs in the San Diego Public Library system. Two of the clubs started that year (Downtown and Mission Valley), and two more were added in 2015 (La Jolla and North Park). Earlier this year, a fifth club was added at the Encinitas Public Library, part of the San Diego County Library system, and we’re happy to announce the addition of a sixth official Comic-Con International Graphic Novel Book Club at the Escondido Public Library, beginning in October!

We are currently accepting membership applications for this new group, which will be meeting once a month at the Escondido Public Library, 239 S. Kalmia St., Escondido, CA 92025. You must fill out a membership application to be considered for this new club. You can download the official membership application by clicking here, but please keep in mind the following guidelines:

Members must be 18 years of age or older
Members must have a Comic-Con Member ID
Members are responsible for obtaining their own books for each monthly meeting, either in print or digital versions or borrowed from a local library
Please submit the application form to us at [email protected] by Monday, October 1 for consideration for membership in the club. Membership is limited to 20 people. If accepted, you will receive a confirmation email from us with details on the first meeting.

Want to see what we’ve been reading? During the first 3 years (2014—2016), the Graphic Novel Book Clubs have read over 75 books! Click here to download our complete Reading List, which lists all the books the various clubs have read over that time period.

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #279 on: October 26, 2017, 10:25:49 AM »
Ash signing tonight (bold = mine), from: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Bruce Campbell, a Comic-Con favorite for his role as Ash in the "Evil Dead" movies and Starz show, will be at Mysterious Galaxy Bookstore 7 p.m., Thursday to sign his new book, "Hail to the Chin."

As Ash, Bruce Campbell has been fighting off deadites for decades with a chainsaw hand and a smart-alecky attitude. At conventions he comes across as the coolest of the cool cult heroes paying reverence to no one and to nothing.

So it may come as a bit of a surprise to discover in his first book "If Chins Could Kill" and his latest book "Hail to the Chin," that what may define him most is that he's a hard working actor with an old school sense of professionalism and respect for the craft even if you are working in B movies.

"But there is that ridiculous, inescapable difference between the persona and the actual person and hopefully if anything that’s what books can do is round out that image a little bit," Campbell said. "I just like wearing dumb outfits and going to conventions and this stuff gives me the excuse to do that. For some reason I do pretend like I don’t take any of it seriously and there’s a lot of it that I don’t take seriously but I actually do take the craft seriously. Like being a good bricklayer. I think you should take pride if you are a craftsman, you should take pride in being a good craftsman so I guess I do take that seriously. There is always going to be a difference between the onscreen schmo and the guy who runs around on his property."

It's been 15 years since his first book and Campbell decided that enough had happened in his life to merit a second one.

"The industry has changed a lot," Campbell said. "The B movies that I have championed for a long time seem to be very prevalent now in that all the A movies are B movies. If you are bitten by a radioactive spider that’s a 1950s B movie. So I feel vindicated now. Hollywood has just caught up with my visionary thinking."

Campbell’s books contain entertaining anecdotes as well as with insights into how the industry works.

For all of you "Ash Vs. Evil Dead" fans, this book will have to satisfy your need for a Campbell fix because the premiere of the show's third season has been postponed from this month to February.

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #280 on: October 27, 2017, 12:07:07 PM »
It's spooky time! Currently "warming up" by reading Roald Dahl or M.R. James short stories before bed. Then was planning some Norden books, (granted the last one is a bit of a stretch.)

I Remember You, Yrsa Sigurđardóttir
Let the Right One In, John Ajvide Lindqvist
The Explorer and Other Stories, Jyrki Vainonen
Horrorstör, Grady Hendrix

Not sure where to go after that, have had House of Leaves on the shelves for a while.

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #281 on: January 11, 2018, 10:32:10 AM »

In 2014, Comic-Con International embarked on an ambitious program to create graphic novel book clubs in the San Diego area. Two of the clubs started that year (Downtown and Mission Valley), and two more were added in 2015 (La Jolla and North Park), all four part of the San Diego Public Library system. In 2017 we added a fifth club at the Encinitas Public Library, part of the San Diego County Library system, and a sixth club at the Escondido Public Library. Now we start off 2018 with a bang, adding a new club in Balboa Park at the site of the future Comic-Con Center for Popular Culture, the former Hall of Champions building!

We are currently accepting membership applications for this new group, which will be meeting once a month at the Balboa Park location. You must fill out a membership application to be considered for this new club. You can download the official interest form by clicking here, but please keep in mind the following:

Members must be 18 years of age or older
Members must have a Comic-Con Member ID
Members are responsible for obtaining their own books for each monthly meeting, either in print or digital versions or borrowed from a local library
Members should live in the greater San Diego area
Please submit the application form to us at [email protected] by Wednesday, January 31 for consideration of membership in the club. Membership is limited to 20 people. If accepted, you will receive a confirmation email from us with details of the first meeting.

Want to see what we’ve been reading? During the first 3 years (2014—2016), the Graphic Novel Book Clubs have read over 75 books! Click here to download our complete Reading List, which lists all the books the various clubs have read over that time period.

Comic-Con International: San Diego is a nonprofit educational corporation dedicated to creating awareness of, and appreciation for, comics and related popular artforms, primarily through the presentation of conventions and events that celebrate the historic and ongoing contribution of comics to art and culture.

Offline Jim Watari

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Twitter @jwatari
  • Liked: 584
« Reply #282 on: March 05, 2018, 02:44:43 PM »
Hey I just finished listening to "A Gift of Time" by Jerry Merritt

"When Micajah Fenton discovers a crater in his front yard with a broken time glider in the bottom and a naked, virtual woman on his lawn, he delays his plans to kill himself. While helping repair the marooned time traveler’s glider, Cager realizes it can return him to his past to correct a mistake that had haunted him his entire life. As payment for his help, the virtual creature living in the circuitry of the marooned glider, sends Cager back in time as his ten-year-old self, knowing everything he’d known at eighty and gives him access to advanced equations of space and time.
But living life over knowing the future isn’t as easy as Cager has anticipated. His every action alters the future he remembers until much of what he remembers never happened at all. And those changes work against him at every turn, preventing him correcting the most serious mistake of his life. Now he must use his advanced mathematical ability to build his own time machine to go back and try again. But he needs a fortune even to begin.
Then he receives help from a strange, young woman with no history. While perfecting time travel, Cager and his new partner overcome enormous problems, even being hunted by dinosaurs in the Cretaceous. After that, though, things get really bizarre."

I really enjoyed this book. It's probably the best time travel book I have ever read.

It has the best technical explanation of time travel I have ever read. I mean most time travel books , TV shows and movies gloss over the technical details. They never take into account the movement of the earth around the sun , the sun around the galaxy ... etc.

The story is also a murder mystery , and has a serial killer .
The more things change, the more they stay the same

Hoban 'Wash' Washburn: It's okay, I'm a leaf on the wind!
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: What does that mean?

Offline angoradebs

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 211
« Reply #283 on: March 05, 2018, 04:18:14 PM »

I really enjoyed this book. It's probably the best time travel book I have ever read.

It has the best technical explanation of time travel I have ever read. I mean most time travel books , TV shows and movies gloss over the technical details. They never take into account the movement of the earth around the sun , the sun around the galaxy ... etc.

Split Second by Douglas Richards is another time travel book that takes planetary movement into account. I recommend it, although the time travel isn't the primary focus.

I just started reading The Terror by Dan Stephens, which is being adapted for TV and will air on AMC. Has anyone read it? It's really long, and slow to start, I'm about 15% in and things are just starting to get interesting.

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #284 on: April 18, 2018, 06:45:41 PM »
Was thinking about starting The Terror on tv, [member=4072]angoradebs[/member] what did you think of the book and have you watched the series? Always curious what people recommend about reading versus watching it first.

Saw this at a bookstore but didn't pick it up. Glanced inside and yep, the title is spot on.

Found this at the library, normally I don't like crossover stories like this but the main story here is alright.

You get Bernie Wrightson art in a story that ends with a Batman versus crocodile-based xenomorph battle on a stone floor that covers a lava pit and is gradually being eaten away by the alien's acid. Someone's been reading my dream journal.

Earlier posts mentioned time travel. David Gerrold was at SVCC and I was able to pick up a perfect 1st printing of The Man who Folded Himself. Haven't read it since I was a kid.