Author Topic: Advice for Newb re hotel choice  (Read 3624 times)

Offline ComicConMom

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
Advice for Newb re hotel choice
« on: November 30, 2017, 01:44:10 PM »
This is probably very premature but I thought I would go ahead and ask so that we can do some research and be ready.  My daughter (23) is going to try for a badge this year during open registration (my boss is trying for himself, his wife, and her).  My husband and I would come too and make it our summer vacation but we would not attend the event, my daughter would go alone.  We would not rent a car (at least not for the duration) so we would need to be in walking distance or on the shuttle route for her.

In the event that she gets it, would it be better to just go ahead and book one of the hotels that are available now but further away from downtown or take our chance with the downtown hotels?  We would rather be downtown, but having actual affordable lodging is more important.  I would hate for her to get a badge but then us not be able to get a hotel.  But if getting something (downtown or elsewhere) during the second hotel round is feasible, then we could go ahead and try for downtown but then just be happy with whatever we get.  We would obviously ask for two beds but DD is happy to sleep on a couch or the floor if she needs too--she's done it plenty at the cons here in Dallas!  (There is no problem with us coming and staying with her but not attending the event right?)

I am just not sure how it works--I was going to go ahead and just book the Hilton next door and cancel if she didn't get it until I saw the prices so hopefully that gives you an idea of how clueless I am!

I just want her to be able to get back and forth easily and to have a good experience.  Are the shuttles reliable, not too full, come often, etc.?  Thanks for any help you can provide.  Hopefully we will need it!  :)

Offline Dubb

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 316
Re: Advice for Newb re hotel choice
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 02:01:08 PM »
Early Bird hotels will be available after the badge sale. You can wait until you know if she got a badge before booking one of those.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 08:29:54 AM »

Offline tsnyder

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 295
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 02:01:21 PM »
I personally would recommend waiting to see if you are able to get a hotel downtown during the hotel lottery.  In my experience there are always hotels available at hotel circle that are on the shuttle route well after the hotel lottery that can be easily acquired at the CCI negotiated rates should you strike out.

Offline ComicConMom

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 02:12:55 PM »
We would get one of the Early Bird hotels right after the badge sale or we would wait for the downtown lottery.  I'm just wondering if it's worth it to wait and at least try to get downtown during the lottery or go ahead and book the sure thing.  And if we strike out, will we still be able to get something on the shuttle route. 

I was just wondering what most here did once they have a badge.  And does striking out during the lottery mean there's no chance at anything.

Offline tsnyder

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 02:15:51 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
We would get one of the Early Bird hotels right after the badge sale or we would wait for the downtown lottery.  I'm just wondering if it's worth it to wait and at least try to get downtown during the lottery or go ahead and book the sure thing.  And if we strike out, will we still be able to get something on the shuttle route. 

I was just wondering what most here did once they have a badge.  And does striking out during the lottery mean there's no chance at anything.
If you strike out in the lottery at least for the last 3 years there have always been hotels available on the shuttle route right up to sdcc.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Offline Violet

• Gaming Lounge
  • Gender Biased Reviews www.gbreviews.com
    • Gender Biased Reviews
  • Liked: 118
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 02:35:26 PM »
In terms of affordability, here's a link to last year's hotel prices so you can plan ahead and see how much you're willing to spend:

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 02:37:43 PM »
I've done both in the past.  Downtown, of course, is more fun but hotel circle shuttles are pretty reliable and run every 15 minutes or so. 

Offline ComicConMom

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 02:42:43 PM »
If you strike out in the lottery at least for the last 3 years there have always been hotels available on the shuttle route right up to sdcc.

Ok, thanks!  That is very good to know.  I still don't know what we will do but I'll do some research and cross my fingers next Saturday that we will have to make a choice!
ETA:  If we need a hotel after the lottery, do we still go through the Comic-Con website or will they be available to book on our own?

And I printed out everything from last year, sample form, prices, etc.  So if we get a chance to go through the process, we will be ready.

Offline tsnyder

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 02:56:24 PM »

ETA:  If we need a hotel after the lottery, do we still go through the Comic-Con website or will they be available to book on our own?

They were available through onpeak the system that cci uses.  Plus this awesome forum runs a couple of threads that usually help people get downtown hotels so be on the lookout for those.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2017, 06:42:15 PM »
plus the hotel farther out (early bird hotels) are cheaper then downtown...
i think there is one hotel that's also on the trolley route- your daughter can take the shuttle downtown & you the trolley to anywhere on the route-
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline susanml10881

• Hall H
  • Liked: 152
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2017, 10:23:58 PM »
The shuttles are frequent and reliable. You just have to budget extra time at peak hours because they can fill up and there's traffic. Mission Valley or early bird hotels are more affordable. There's also the trolley at certain hotels too. It stops right in front of the Con. It can be faster than the shuttle though you have to pay the fare.

You can also usually grab a Downtown hotel from the wait list or leftover inventory as people cancel and swap after the lottery. There were handfuls of them available last year. It's not a guarantee and you have to be patient. If you would rather have a definite room then you might want to look further out than Downtown. Early birds are non refundable just FYI.

Offline River190

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2017, 12:10:48 PM »
I have had hotels both downtown and not downtown. Hotels downtown are way much more fun and less of a headache. I like being able to walk to the con or take the shuttle. I’m not much of a driver. Also I fell the shuttles were reliable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 01:19:23 PM »
On average, the downtown hotels are more expensive...but not that much more expensive for the quality. (Most of them are also much nicer.) I don't think price should be a factor in deciding between downtown and MV, since IMO the extra you pay...you more than make up for in time savings. But they're much more difficult to get, and that's probably why.
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 02:31:14 PM »
Think about what you and your husband want to do while you are in SD.  Hotel Circle isn't a bad place to be if you want to hit Mission Beach, LaJolla, or other areas north of downtown while your daughter is at SDCC.  Will you rent a car?  You'll pay for parking regardless, but it is a bit less at non-downtown hotels.  You'll also avoid the horrendous downtown traffic if you are at Hotel Circle.

Offline ComicConMom

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2017, 11:26:07 AM »
Yeah TardisMom I did think about what we would do and was trying to decide what location would be better.  But I figured I would wait and research if she gets a badge (right now the only thing I know we will do is go to the zoo!).  So "Hotel Circle" is the Mission Valley hotels then?

How reliable would Uber or Lyft be to get downtown?   My boss mentioned getting a VRBO on the beach and getting downtown that way but I am imagining surge pricing and horrendous traffic and the drivers cancelling altogether.

Also does anyone have a favorite hotel away from downtown close to a shuttle stop?  It looks like the Doubletree or the Marriott take the least amount of time to get downtown? 

Cost is not really a factor as long as it's under $400/nt.  I would love for her to be able to just walk next door to the con but at the same time, we are planners and I just don't see us waiting until May to know if we have a hotel or not.  So I may have answered my own question.