Author Topic: Reports & check ins in the age of Covid  (Read 127787 times)

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
Re: Reports & check ins in the age of Covid
« Reply #1530 on: November 30, 2021, 11:19:01 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Israel is reporting four cases of people infected with Omicron, including two who were boosted but so far only suffering mild symptoms.  Israel also reported that with fully vaccinated people within six months with Pfizer, the Omicron variant is only 1.3 times stronger than Delta, but not as strong as initially feared.

Other experts say initial indicators show vaccinated people infected with Omicron might get sick, but not sick enough to end up in the hospital.

It's seems to be more nuanced than that.  It's still early days and Israel emphasizes it's preliminary data.  They key takeaway is if you are boosted then it seems that there's only a slight decrease in efficacy.  If you are "unvaccinated" then it's a different story.  Something that's not explicitly said in that article, although it's there implicitly, is that someone with 2 doses and is past due for a booster is now considered "unvaccinated" to them.  So it's bad news for people that haven't gotten their booster.  Which explains why the US abruptly changed it's messaging a few days ago.  For months, the US has prioritized people getting their first shot over a booster.  That's one of the main reasons that boosters were delayed in the US.  They didn't want to muddle the message by implying the first 2 doses wasn't enough and that's why we need a booster.  So boosting took a backseat.  Starting a few days ago, the messaging from Biden on down, has been to prioritize boosters first and then ask the people that haven't gotten a single shot to get vaccinated.  Which makes sense in light of this early data.  Get the willing protected.  Boosting is no longer a nice to have.  It's a must have.  The unwilling have shown they are stubbornly unwilling.

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 829
« Reply #1531 on: December 01, 2021, 11:50:03 AM »
The Omicron variant was detected in San Francisco.  The person was vaccinated and is experiencing mild symptoms and is quarantined.  People he was in contact with were tested and they were found to be negative.  The person in question had traveled to South Africa.

WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #1532 on: Today at 12:58:04 PM »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #1532 on: December 01, 2021, 01:18:49 PM »
I'd like to emphasize how this person did the right thing.  They got tested when they felt sick and quarantined.  So many people wouldn't have.  They would have brushed it off as a cold and kept going to work or school.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #1533 on: December 02, 2021, 10:10:55 AM »
yikes an omachron positive person attended anime con in nyc
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #1534 on: December 02, 2021, 10:18:22 AM »
It happens; luckily they were fully vaccinated and suffering only mild symptoms. 
Of course, if anyone here attended the Con, time to get COVID tested...

I felt pretty good about COVID logistics at Comic-Con SE: security was CONSTANTYL asking anyone in my fam to roll up their sleeves if wearing long-sleeves to show their COVID wristbands.  None of the policies are perfect (short of taking an instant COVID test before entering Convention Center, maybe?) but I felt CCI did the best possible job

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #1535 on: December 02, 2021, 11:00:11 AM »
IMO this case is more meaningful than the California case yesterday.  That was travel related.  He got infected in SA.  This NY case looks to be community spread.  He didn't do any international travel recently.

All this is to be expected.  By the time any respiratory virus is discovered in the modern world, it's already all over the place.  The concerning thing is how fast omicron seems to spread in a community.  In SA, they had 2000-3000 new covid cases in one day a week ago.  Today it broke 11,000 cases in one day.  That's in a population where 80% have antibodies to covid.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 12:36:25 PM by chocolateshake »

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 251
« Reply #1536 on: December 02, 2021, 08:00:07 PM »
It happens; luckily they were fully vaccinated and suffering only mild symptoms. 
Of course, if anyone here attended the Con, time to get COVID tested...

I felt pretty good about COVID logistics at Comic-Con SE: security was CONSTANTYL asking anyone in my fam to roll up their sleeves if wearing long-sleeves to show their COVID wristbands.  None of the policies are perfect (short of taking an instant COVID test before entering Convention Center, maybe?) but I felt CCI did the best possible job

Good to hear. Makes me more comfortable about going to SDCC next year.

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 251
« Reply #1537 on: December 02, 2021, 08:02:42 PM »
Moderna stock soared Friday and Monday after the pharmaceutical giant said they could have a vaccine tailored to Omicron by mid-Spring.

I'm allergic to Moderna. :(

Hope someone else comes up with an Omicron vaccine, too. Or, maybe their Omicron vaccine will be different enough? Not sure if it's the drug or the other stuff in it that made me react.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 03:35:08 PM by puppy »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #1538 on: December 03, 2021, 10:05:29 AM »
My 7 year old got his second shot yesterday afternoon, and he's incredibly excited to be fully vaccinated (for now) before the Holiday fun kicks in in a few weeks.  So far, about 18 hors after, he has zero side-effects except mild soreness in the arm.  With the holidays and the nutty fun in our house (TWO different Advent calendars - the LEGO Star Wars one as well as one my wife and put together; Elf on the Shelf; etc) he has his mind on bigger and better things and didn't seem phased by the shot at all.

I honestly haven't seen a ton about side effects for younger kids so I don't know if they're similar to what adults went through or not.  But our kid seems to have no problems so far

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #1539 on: December 03, 2021, 11:09:45 AM »
I honestly haven't seen a ton about side effects for younger kids so I don't know if they're similar to what adults went through or not.  But our kid seems to have no problems so far

Side effects were studied with the clinical trials.  They compared people who got the vaccine to people who got the placebo.  The difference between adults and children aren't all that different.  The spread between the vaccinated and placebo groups does seem wider for children for some things.

For quantitative side effects, like vomiting and diarrhea, there is no difference between the vaccine and placebo groups.  The one exception is fever.  The vaccinated group did have much higher rate of fever than the placebo group.  But even then, the percentage of people who had a fever was less than 4%.  The commonly reported side effects, like fatigue and headache, are qualitative.  That was like 42% in the vaccinated group and 33% in the placebo group.  So a lot of people reported those side effects even if they didn't get the vaccine.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #1540 on: December 03, 2021, 11:21:34 AM »

I looks like it is community spread.  5 other cases in NYC as of last night.  I think it's the tip of the iceberg.  Norway has reported 50 cases as of yesterday.  13 of which, so far, have been traced back to the same party of 120 people where one person recently returned from SA.  Everyone that attended the party are fully vaccinated and tested negative before the party.  Which pretty much matches what happened on the planes that landed in Amsterdam.

Offline SteveD

• Administrator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1680
« Reply #1541 on: December 03, 2021, 12:50:11 PM »
So now I need to know if anyone on my plane back to New Jersey had recently traveled or came in contact with anyone who recently traveled from South Africa.
Ugh!  :(

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 829
« Reply #1542 on: December 03, 2021, 08:07:23 PM »

That’s why I cancelled CC for myself and got a refund.  I didn’t anticipate any variant coming before Omicron was announced, but it was good timing.
WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #1543 on: December 04, 2021, 11:41:58 AM »
An update on the Anime Con in NYC, that first person that tested positive saw 35 friends at the con.  About half of them have tested positive.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #1544 on: December 04, 2021, 01:30:00 PM »
An update on the Anime Con in NYC, that first person that tested positive saw 35 friends at the con.  About half of them have tested positive.

Wow.  Half.  That seems high.