Author Topic: SDCC 2019 Volunteer Discussion  (Read 57934 times)

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 338
Re: SDCC 2019 Volunteer Discussion
« Reply #315 on: May 18, 2019, 11:25:52 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I went to the recruiting event today.  About the same amount of people were there as last year.  As is my constant, I didn't win anything in the raffle.  Raffles are not kind to me.  Pizza is always a good thing.  The crowd didn't seem as social as it was last year.  It was quieter.  Most people just kept to themselves.  You can't shut me up so I was jabbering to anyone who would listen.  I met a surprising number of people who have been to the recruiting event more than once.   I think most of the people I talk to had.  Last year, I only met one person who had.

My brain was mush today.  I blame it on the haggis.  I couldn't remember the simplest things.  How long have you been volunteering?  Wait... let me think.  Turns out the number I gave was off by a year.  What jobs did you do last year?  For the life of me, I couldn't remember them all.  Still can't.  What is your favorite panel of all time?  Ah.... hm...... this one.  What is your second favorite panel of all time?  Silence inside my head.  I had to rack my brain and my brain wasn't helping.

So let me explain a few things. In terms of the number of people who have come to the recruiting event more than once. They're usually in two camps. A) they're there just for free food/raffle. Will never actually want to become a department volunteer. B) Not picked to join a department/didn't make it through the interview stage. In my mind, A is MUCH better than B.

As for the answers to the questions, always relax. I know that's easier said than done. Relax and BE CONFIDENT. I cannot stress that enough. Be confident in your answers.

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #316 on: May 19, 2019, 07:03:16 AM »
So let me explain a few things. In terms of the number of people who have come to the recruiting event more than once. They're usually in two camps. A) they're there just for free food/raffle. Will never actually want to become a department volunteer. B) Not picked to join a department/didn't make it through the interview stage. In my mind, A is MUCH better than B.

As for the answers to the questions, always relax. I know that's easier said than done. Relax and BE CONFIDENT. I cannot stress that enough. Be confident in your answers.
What do they raffle?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Phasers on Stun!!!

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #317 on: Today at 12:33:35 PM »

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #317 on: May 19, 2019, 08:48:16 AM »
So, as a volunteer its up to us to decide how many days to work? and they give a badge for each day of volunteering correct? first time volunteering after 3 years, time to give something back lol

[member=8035]taka[/member] - Yes, you can volunteer for every day or just one day.  You get a badge for each day you work.  I am with you.  I have a full badge, yet really like the opportunity to help 'bring the show'!
 :)
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #318 on: May 19, 2019, 10:39:09 AM »
What do they raffle?

It differs every year.  Stand in the toy section of Gamestop and you get the idea. This year it was Star Wars themed.  Not exclusively but majority.

Oh I understand all that.  I've spoken to people in B who are there for A.  But people are also there for other reasons as well.  Some are holding out for a particular department.  Which leads to another group.  People looking to switch departments.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 10:50:02 AM by chocolateshake »

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #319 on: May 19, 2019, 02:30:00 PM »

I've spoken to people in B who are there for A.  But people are also there for other reasons as well.  Some are holding out for a particular department.  Which leads to another group.  People looking to switch departments.

I don't know if I agree with this. For one simple reason. You don't switch departments by going to this event. Once you're a department volunteer, you do not get access anymore to this event. It is basically a recruiting event to get dailies into becoming department volunteers.  (Now I cannot speak for those department volunteers that may have found a loophole or snuck in) but to gain a true invite, you have to be a daily. Switching departments isn't what this event is for. Usually switching departments requires quite a bit of work. I can explain that later if you'd like.

Anyways, to your first point about people holding out for a particular department. That goes with what I said about people B. They didn't do well in the interview or somehow did not get picked. As the daily, you have the option of what department(s) you'd like to apply for. So the onus is on the daily to hit a homerun sort of speak, to get into said department :)

This is coming from many, many years of experience/knowledge. 

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #320 on: May 19, 2019, 04:08:38 PM »
So the onus is on the daily to hit a homerun sort of speak, to get into said department :)

This is coming from many, many years of experience/knowledge.

Having hired my fair share of people over the decades, I would say the onus is on both sides to hit a "homerun".  Many people early in their careers don't get this, but an interview is a 2 way street.  The potential employer has to sell themselves as much as the potential employee.  More so if they are in an industry chronically short of qualified workers.  Having worked in high growth industries, I know that feeling well.

So the onus is also on the departments to make themselves appealing.  I know this is not lost on the departments since I've had at least one interviewer say as much to me.  Not doing so, leads to people being in your category A.

Offline BenEatsRice

• Gaming Lounge
  • Waiting In Line
  • Liked: 150
« Reply #321 on: May 19, 2019, 07:21:22 PM »
Have there been any volunteer notifications about whether or not you have been selected or not? I haven't received anything yet. Does anyone know approximately when they usually send out notifications?
What is the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #322 on: May 19, 2019, 07:30:58 PM »
Having hired my fair share of people over the decades, I would say the onus is on both sides to hit a "homerun".  Many people early in their careers don't get this, but an interview is a 2 way street.  The potential employer has to sell themselves as much as the potential employee.  More so if they are in an industry chronically short of qualified workers.  Having worked in high growth industries, I know that feeling well.

So the onus is also on the departments to make themselves appealing.  I know this is not lost on the departments since I've had at least one interviewer say as much to me.  Not doing so, leads to people being in your category A.

I'm not going to go too off-topic on this, but you're comparing apples to oranges. For starters you mentioned an industry chronically short of qualified workers. A department volunteer at SDCC does not need a 4 year degree to become a good worker.  Secondly, there's no shortness of qualified people, because there's very few qualifications. As long as you work hard, and you can generally fit in with other people, you're pretty good as is.

Another thing, you mentioned the employer has to sell themselves. Maybe some individual department does, but knowing the perks involved, free badge, potential for better perks down the line. Not every department needs to sell itself. Now, there are some departments that do, but only because the job isn't one that a lot of people may want or like. There are many departments that are in so high demand, they don't even attend this event, because they either don't need to recruit, or the department head hand picks who he/she wants outside of this event.

Finally, in your stance, an employer has to sell themselves because there are more contributing factors. Cost of living, salary, location. Many things. SDCC is 5 days at the same place every year.  It's not life altering. Plus, if it wasn't down to invites, and any daily volunteer could show, there would be no less than thousands of people. In that case, why would the employer again, need to sell themselves? If Person A doesn't like it, go onto Person B. Someone will be a good fit. Now I'm not discrediting the interviewer you spoke to, I don't know who or what department it was. But like I said, from my experience with SDCC, if the person said that to you, it was because it's a department that isn't highly sought after, then I can see the need for selling. But the highly sought after departments have no need to sell, volunteers will go try and join them because they know how good they could have it in that department.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #323 on: May 19, 2019, 07:35:20 PM »
Have there been any volunteer notifications about whether or not you have been selected or not? I haven't received anything yet. Does anyone know approximately when they usually send out notifications?

It's only been a day. :)  If last year is any indication, it should be early next week.  I was actually surprised how quickly it came.

Offline BenEatsRice

• Gaming Lounge
  • Waiting In Line
« Reply #324 on: May 19, 2019, 07:43:45 PM »
It's only been a day

A day since what? I think I must have missed something. I did get notification that I was registered as a volunteer (a few months ago), but haven't received anything since then.

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #325 on: May 19, 2019, 07:46:19 PM »
A day since what? I think I must have missed something. I did get notification that I was registered as a volunteer (a few months ago), but haven't received anything since then.

Haha, you guys both misunderstood each other. What [member=6586]chocolateshake[/member] thought you were asking about, is whether or not you got picked to become a department volunteer. That event was Saturday (yesterday) hence a day.

What you're asking, is about being a daily volunteer at SDCC.  Question are you a returning volunteer? Or is this your first time? If you're returning, you're automatically accepted in. If it's your first time, and you got in your request soon enough, you should hear back closer from the con, but you also will be a volunteer.

Offline BenEatsRice

• Gaming Lounge
  • Waiting In Line
« Reply #326 on: May 19, 2019, 07:49:00 PM »
Haha, you guys both misunderstood each other. What [member=6586]chocolateshake[/member] thought you were asking about, is whether or not you got picked to become a department volunteer. That event was Saturday (yesterday) hence a day.

What you're asking, is about being a daily volunteer at SDCC.  Question are you a returning volunteer? Or is this your first time? If you're returning, you're automatically accepted in. If it's your first time, and you got in your request soon enough, you should hear back closer from the con, but you also will be a volunteer.

Thanks for the clarification Jonathan!

Yes, this is my first time as a volunteer. Will keep a lookout as the con gets closer.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #327 on: May 19, 2019, 07:51:03 PM »
I'm not going to go too off-topic on this, but you're comparing apples to oranges. For starters you mentioned an industry chronically short of qualified workers. A department volunteer at SDCC does not need a 4 year degree to become a good worker.  Secondly, there's no shortness of qualified people, because there's very few qualifications. As long as you work hard, and you can generally fit in with other people, you're pretty good as is.

Another thing, you mentioned the employer has to sell themselves. Maybe some individual department does, but knowing the perks involved, free badge, potential for better perks down the line. Not every department needs to sell itself. Now, there are some departments that do, but only because the job isn't one that a lot of people may want or like. There are many departments that are in so high demand, they don't even attend this event, because they either don't need to recruit, or the department head hand picks who he/she wants outside of this event.

Finally, in your stance, an employer has to sell themselves because there are more contributing factors. Cost of living, salary, location. Many things. SDCC is 5 days at the same place every year.  It's not life altering. Plus, if it wasn't down to invites, and any daily volunteer could show, there would be no less than thousands of people. In that case, why would the employer again, need to sell themselves? If Person A doesn't like it, go onto Person B. Someone will be a good fit. Now I'm not discrediting the interviewer you spoke to, I don't know who or what department it was. But like I said, from my experience with SDCC, if the person said that to you, it was because it's a department that isn't highly sought after, then I can see the need for selling. But the highly sought after departments have no need to sell, volunteers will go try and join them because they know how good they could have it in that department.

I rather not go too far off topic as well.  Let's just say we have different viewpoints.  Nothing wrong with that.  It's what makes life interesting.  It would be boring if everyone thought the same about everything.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 07:58:37 PM by chocolateshake »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #328 on: May 19, 2019, 07:53:29 PM »

If you log into your comic-con account, do you see that you are a registered volunteer for 2019?  If you do, then you should be set.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 07:55:50 PM by chocolateshake »

Offline BenEatsRice

• Gaming Lounge
  • Waiting In Line
« Reply #329 on: May 19, 2019, 08:04:25 PM »
If you log into your comic-con account, do you see that you are a registered volunteer for 2019?  If you do, then you should be set.

Yes. "CC'19 Registered Volunteer"