Author Topic: In Memoriam  (Read 117141 times)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
Re: In Memoriam
« Reply #390 on: January 13, 2020, 10:12:46 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Neil Pratt was an amazing drummer.  Saw Rush live a few times.
This was a death of a person I have zero relations to that has hit me pretty hard.  The only other celebrity death that wrecked me was Stanley Kubrick because that also felt pretty out-of-the-blue (and Kubrick was in the process of finishing EYES WIDE SHUT so dying at the end of working on a film felt even more devastating to me - especially when there was a bit of uncertainty of what would happen with the notorious control-freak's final film still in post-production).
For reference, I'm both a music teacher and a drummer.  While Neil Peart is undoubtedly one of the greatest drummers of his generation, and maybe just as talented a song writer as drummer, it was his insane work ethic that was inspiration to me as a young drummer in my formidable years.  Peart was an incredibly intense musician: one who felt like anytime he had sticks in hand it was business time and he owed it to his bandmates and especially his fans to be impeccably perfect at all time.  Most people know Peart as a drummer of a Prog-Rock band with one of the most intricate drum sets around.  While that was his bread & butter, it was his work as a jazz drummer that blew me away.

In 1994, he was asked to play at the Buddy Rich Memorial Scholarship concert: where the best drummers in the world would be asked to sit in with Buddy Rich Big Band for a couple charts, a solo, and then a trio at the end of the set with two other drummers (the concerts typically had 6 per Concert, with the Concerts happening every couple of years beginning in 1989).  Peart grew up with a dad who was into jazz music but like any good teenager he rejected the music of his parents and forged his own path.  He showed up to the gig with a fairly simplistic 4-piece set, after spending months analyzing Buddy's music.  Shortly after, he took lessons that broke down his technique and rebuilt himself back up: he essentially reinvented himself both mechanically & feel-wise.

His dedication to his craft inspired me as a music major in college, at first struggling to build skillsets I sorely lacked.  When you're a young musician, you often assume the greats have natural talent and don't have to work like us mere mortals.  When I read an interview with Neil in a 'Modern Drummer' talking about his hard work trying to bring a 'weak spot' of his world up to his incredibly high standards of Rush, it blew me away & inspired me.  Some bands have fun and are much looser live than on albums (Beastie Boys were notorious for this - note, I _LOVE_ B-boys and seeing them live is a GOAT memory for me) but Rush was almost impeccable as a live act: they knew gigs would be their bread-and-butter, and they put in the rigorous time to be great live.
That work ethic struck a chord with me, and inspired me to dig in and better hone my craft.  I was never a huge fan of Rush (though I always admired the hell out of all three musicians), but it was impossible to be a drummer in the 1990's and not cross paths with Neil Peart drum set licks to practice: his fills and solos were incredibly musical as well as technically choppy and intense!  His approach to his work, though, is what inspired me the most.

When I heard he died Friday afternoon I was almost devastated.  He was young, and he kept his brain cancer a secret from the public: this felt way out of the blue.  While Geddy Lee's voice is a turn-off for me to really love the band, their talent was impossible to ignore & I listened to a LOT of their records and charts this weekend remembering all the great things about Peart.

Here's a video of Peart looking _almost_ nervous driving the Buddy Rich Big Band in the early 1990s with a stripped-down (for him) 4-piece drums set:

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #391 on: January 14, 2020, 07:19:49 PM »

It is with great sadness that we acknowledge the passing of Stan Kirsch.

Without Stan Kirsch, Highlander: The Series would have been far less. He brought a sense of humor, kindness and youthful enthusiasm to the character of Richie Ryan for six seasons.

Stan was at a disadvantage compared to other actors portraying immortals on the series. He was never able to have flashbacks from the 1800's or discuss how things were ‘back in his day’. However, Stan turned this situation into an opportunity; providing one of the few portrayals on the show where a character gradually grew into a wise, skilled and self-assured individual from episode to episode. Stan even changed himself physically to show how Richie Ryan would survive in the world of the immortals.

Although Richie Ryan’s life was cut short on the show, there was little more to see; Richie Ryan had evolved into his own man, and it was Stan’s performance that made it true.

Beyond Highlander: The Series, Stan Kirsch was an accomplished acting coach. We have heard first-hand testimonials from many of his students; all of them having considered Stan an incredible teacher and a gift of a human being.

Every time we had the opportunity to catch up with Stan, he was nothing but kind, thoughtful and sincere. He was a warm presence that will be missed.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #392 on: Today at 10:48:27 AM »

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
« Reply #392 on: January 16, 2020, 01:01:51 PM »
Christopher Tolkien, son of JRR Tolkien and the one who really expanded Middle Earth beyond the LOTR Trilogy/Hobbit, died at 95 years of age.  If anyone has read the Histories of Middle Earth, you will understand the amount of work he put into this. 

Offline chaosdreamer

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 102
« Reply #393 on: January 23, 2020, 06:42:37 AM »
RIP Terry Jones, a very naughty boy who was the founding member of Monty Python that forever changed my understanding of the many ways of spam.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #394 on: January 23, 2020, 08:52:00 AM »
RIP Terry Jones, a very naughty boy who was the founding member of Monty Python that forever changed my understanding of the many ways of spam.

And 'star' of one of the all-time great 'sketches' from THE MEANING OF LIFE

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 829
« Reply #395 on: January 26, 2020, 01:03:12 PM »
Kobe Bryant and four others were killed in a helicopter accident in Calabasas this morning.

WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #396 on: January 26, 2020, 01:48:40 PM »
Unconfirmed reports are also saying his 13yo daughter was in the copter.
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 829
« Reply #397 on: February 05, 2020, 04:13:40 PM »
Kirk Douglas passed away.  He was 103.

WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #398 on: February 06, 2020, 09:33:39 PM »
patrickballesteros Hi all, a lot of people have been asking me about purchasing this image so starting this Saturday 2/8 for 24 hours this print will be on sale for $24. After shipping and print costs I will be donating all proceeds to the @mambaonthree fund and @mambasportsfoundation.

Art can heal and with the support of good people it can help out others in need.

Link in bio and will go live this Saturday at 8AM. Sending 💜💛 and positive vibes out to all of you today, thank you and god bless!

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #399 on: March 04, 2020, 10:20:39 PM »

After a tough battle with lung cancer, David Wise passed away peacefully at home last night surrounded by family. Please feel free to tag this account to express your condolences.  All are welcome here, just as they were in David's life: friend, family, peer, fan, all of you.

toysnetflix We want to say thank you to the late David Wise, who passed away today. Thank you for your amazing contributions as a writer and thank you for joining us on the TMNT episode of The Toys That Made Us. May you Rest In Peace and our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. #DavidWise #RestInPeace

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #400 on: March 09, 2020, 05:53:30 AM »

Actor Max Von Sydow, who appeared in films and TV series including The Exorcist, Flash Gordon and Game of Thrones, has died at the age of 90.

His family announced "with a broken heart and infinite sadness" that the Swedish-born actor died on Sunday.

Von Sydow's other film credits included Hannah and Her Sisters, Minority Report and Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

He made 11 films with Ingmar Bergman, including The Seventh Seal, in which he famously played chess with Death.

The actor also played Ming the Merciless in 1980's Flash Gordon.

He continued acting late in life, voicing a character in The Simpsons in 2014 and appearing in three episodes of Game of Thrones in 2016.

Von Sydow was nominated for two Oscars during his career - including best supporting actor for his role in 2011's Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close.

The actor has two sons with his first wife Christina Inga Britta Olin. In 1997, he married Catherine Brelet in Provence and became a citizen of France five years later, meaning he had to relinquish his Swedish citizenship.

This is a breaking news story. Further updates to follow.

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #401 on: March 09, 2020, 07:47:35 AM »
Best...role...ever

"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #402 on: March 09, 2020, 10:11:07 PM »
sdcomicfest We regret to inform that Allen Bellman has passed away at age 95. Last year we hosted Allen as our Golden Age Guest of Honor. He was a kind man and forthcoming to all of the fans who came by his table. He told stories of his days at Timely Comics in the 1940s working on Captain America, Young Allies, Human Torch and The Destroyer. He left his mark on the world of comics and he will be missed. He was a brilliant creator and a good friend. Rest in Peace, Allen Bellman.

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #403 on: April 09, 2020, 02:08:33 PM »

nationalcartoonists The incomparable Mort Drucker passed away last night. The World has lost a not just an extraordinary talent but a shining example of kindness, humility and humor. He was recognized for his work with the National Cartoonists Society Special Features Award (1985, 1986, 1987, 1988), the Reuben Award (1987), the NCS Medal of Honor (2015), and induction into the Society of Illustrators Hall of Fame (2017).

« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 10:37:23 AM by AzT »

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #404 on: June 13, 2020, 10:44:03 AM »

thenealadams Denny O’Neil has died after having filled our lives with the pleasure of his work.

Why was, and how was, Denny so special and important?

Like Hemingway, writing is a result of the life you led before setting pen to paper. Denny was a reporter on the Night Beat. His life wasn’t filled with monsters, ray-blasted cities, exploded worlds and the like.

His was a dirty underbelly of urban sprawl, domestic violence, and bloody hospital emergency rooms.

And when Denny wrote comic books he did not forget any of that for one minute. Personal violence in dark places peppered his work and made it personal to the reader. Denny O’Neil changed comics for the better. Could be it’s time to relearn some of those lessons. Lessons for which Denny O’Neil was and remains the best teacher.

Crack some of those books and give them a read. That’s pure Denny O’Neil. Share the pleasure with me.
Denny, say hello to Dick. - Neal