Author Topic: SDCC 2020 Hotel Discussion  (Read 74457 times)

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
Re: SDCC 2020 Hotel Discussion
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2019, 05:54:17 PM »
I like the Hilton Bayfront, but my one complaint — and this falls squarely in the category of First World problems — is that there’s no direct path to the lobby coming from the convention center. You have to go from the sides and ride an escalator up. To be sure, that would never stop me from choosing HBF. But it is an odd design for that hotel.

Offline Devorah

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • If the apocalypse comes, beep me.
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2019, 10:19:24 AM »
Has anyone gotten a suite the Onpeak at either Omni or Hilton Bayfront? If so I'm curious to know the nightly rate.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 11:00:28 AM »

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2019, 11:14:34 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I only posted here cuz I swore I saw that 2019 thread locked. Anyways, I feel like a 2020 Hotel Thread is way too early as talking about any hotel is just going to lead to replies from past experiences, but thats just me.
The 2019 thread is not locked, unless someone unlocked it. I had unstickied it, but it was reset to sticky, probably by one of the global moderators. I probably did that part too early. :-[

We usually start the next year's hotel thread super early. We have had threads pop up before that year's con before (mostly because of backup hotel deals that are found). I apologize if it seems confusing.

Discussion of past experiences is okay as that can alter your judgement for upcoming years.
Ang

Offline Darth_Primus

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 128
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2019, 11:40:48 AM »
Has anyone gotten a suite the Onpeak at either Omni or Hilton Bayfront? If so I'm curious to know the nightly rate.

Yes, I did stay at the Bayfront two years ago.  It was around $347 per night when you factor in fees and taxes.

I stayed at the Omni back in like 2008 and 2009 before Twilight came to SDCC and the event became sold out every year. But I don't remember the rates and I don't believe OnPeak was running the hotel registeration.

On a separate note, as far as the "top 6 hotels discussion," yeah my list changed.  Thanks to a fellow FOCC member, I was able to stay at the Manchester Grand Hyatt for the first time this year.   It wasn't on my top 6 list because I never stay there, but now that I have, it's number two on my list.   It's quiet, there are good amount of elevators, you don't have to cross a major street that like Harbor Drive to get to and from the convention, which means it's a convenient place to take a mid break from the con in the hotel room and it's relatively easy to get picked up/dropped off by your rideshare,  like Uber, unlike the Bayfront.

That being said, the Hilton Bayfront is the number one hotel on my list because of its location, as you don't have to cross Harbor Drive and have to wait for a train to pass by or a light to change.   As mentioned with Uber, it's very difficult to the Bayfront when the convention is on.  Last time I stayed there, the Bayfront put up a sign that we should walk to Pecto Park for our rideshare.   I've been in an elevator with quite a few celebrities while staying in the Bayfront, which is a perk and a thrill while staying there.

The rest of my list of hotels I've stayed at would be #3 The Omni, #4 The Westin Gaslamp, #5 Springhill Suites Bayfront, #6 Grand Horton.

Offline SteveD

• Administrator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1680
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2019, 12:33:14 PM »
Back in 2009, the Omni was $220 per night plus taxes and fees for a standard room.  Booked through Travel Planners.

Hotel Confirmation #:  Available online approximately 2 weeks prior to your event

Tier Name: Standard Room (A)

Room Type: 2 people - 2 beds

Special Requests:

Check-in: 7/22/2009    Check-out: 7/26/2009

Guarantee Type: MASTER CARD
Booked by: WebUser

Travel Planners special discounted rate:
07/22/09-07/25/09: $220.00 per night
(Note: rate does not include taxes)

Omni San Diego Hotel
675 L Street
San Diego, CA 92101
Phone: (619) 231-6664
Fax: (619) 645-6517
Hotel distance to Convention Center: 2.0 Blocks Miles

Offline Devorah

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • If the apocalypse comes, beep me.
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2019, 12:41:04 PM »
Yes, I did stay at the Bayfront two years ago.  It was around $347 per night when you factor in fees and taxes.

I stayed at the Omni back in like 2008 and 2009 before Twilight came to SDCC and the event became sold out every year. But I don't remember the rates and I don't believe OnPeak was running the hotel registeration.

Thanks! To clarify, I am asking if anyone knows the rate for the suites at HBF or Omni, not the regular hotel rooms. It's not shown on the hotel list so I'm not really sure how else to find out.

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 538
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2019, 01:24:24 PM »
Thanks! To clarify, I am asking if anyone knows the rate for the suites at HBF or Omni, not the regular hotel rooms. It's not shown on the hotel list so I'm not really sure how else to find out.

I wonder if you called the hotels if they'd tell you? Or maybe a tweet?

Offline kihou

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 73
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2019, 01:20:36 PM »
We were lucky enough to get two rooms at the Manchester Grand Hyatt for our group (my husband and me, our 6 month old son, my mom and dad, and a friend).  We love the location even though it's a bit further away because we always try to get tickets to Fundays and it's easy to just take the elevator up after that event.  The only bummer was I had called a couple times in advance to request a freezer (to store breastmilk), and they assured me they would have one.  Got there on Tuesday before con and they said they would send one up.  Never got it.  Their offer was to store it for us in the staff fridge, but we declined since I didn't think that would work very well (imagine trying to phone down to have them bring up a bottle at 3am when he wakes up).  We made it work with some ice and the fridge provided, and I just ended up not storing as much, and feeding him some more solids.  Other than that, the rooms were pretty good.  The only other bummer is trying to cross at the intersection right outside of it.  If the trolley goes through, it skips the straight walk light because cars can't go through it, so it can take like 5-10 minutes to catch a light depending on traffic. 

Offline lliving

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 173
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2019, 06:01:47 PM »
I stayed at MGH for first time this past year and enjoyed it.  Room(two  double beds) was decent size.  Initially,  was skeptical about how far it was from the convention center compared to some of the other downtown hotels, but exiting through the back, I thought it was easier to get the Hall H next day line than walking to it from HBF.  Their snack shop/mini starbucks was open 24hrs/day.  I also liked the "adults only" pool. It was nice to have a place to sit by the pool and read/relax without the congestion/noise normally associated with most hotel pools. I was lucky enough to get the room from another FOCC member after striking out in the hotel lottery.  I would definitely rank this pretty high next year.

Offline imecoli

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 13
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2019, 08:38:09 PM »
A little off topic but, they have a big concert scheduled this year at Petco friday night. Greenday, Weezer and Fallout Boy.  This may be an issue for those traveling to see the show, as it only has a few locations for this tour. Peple looking for hotel rooms will be an issue. Historically the Padres had made sure to vacate the park during SDCC.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline Jangos1

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 54
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2019, 11:22:27 PM »
A little off topic but, they have a big concert scheduled this year at Petco friday night. Greenday, Weezer and Fallout Boy.  This may be an issue for those traveling to see the show, as it only has a few locations for this tour. Peple looking for hotel rooms will be an issue. Historically the Padres had made sure to vacate the park during SDCC.

Ugh.  Yet another kink in the Hotelpocalypse lottery. 

Offline dolphina

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2019, 11:47:09 PM »
I was just checking the rates for the Hilton Bayfront for Tuesday and noticed that they are now charging a $35.00 mandatory fee. It entitles you to free internet, One hour rental of either kayak, bike, or paddle board , and $35.00 food and beverage credit. I know the $35 food/ beverage credit pays for the $35.00 fee they are charging but you will need to add it into your hotel budget. It makes me wonder if other hotels besides Bayfront and the Hard Rock ( who has been doing this for several years) will also add on a DAILY MANDATORY URBAN DESTINATION CHARGE.
A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting”

Wondercon, SDCC, Comikazi, Blizzcon, SWCA, D23

Offline SteveD

• Administrator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1680
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2019, 05:07:41 AM »
I was just checking the rates for the Hilton Bayfront for Tuesday and noticed that they are now charging a $35.00 mandatory fee. It entitles you to free internet, One hour rental of either kayak, bike, or paddle board , and $35.00 food and beverage credit. I know the $35 food/ beverage credit pays for the $35.00 fee they are charging but you will need to add it into your hotel budget. It makes me wonder if other hotels besides Bayfront and the Hard Rock ( who has been doing this for several years) will also add on a DAILY MANDATORY URBAN DESTINATION CHARGE.
It seems that most, if not all, of the downtown hotels are starting to do this, not sure about other locations.
They seem to try and make up for it by offering some added perks.
I do know that at the Omni, if you already qualify for the perks offered, they will wave the extra fee.

Offline imecoli

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 13
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2019, 05:34:16 AM »
Hilton honors free membership looong ago gave you wifi and discounted parking at HBF I believe. I know free wifi and cannot recall if parking was either free or discounted.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2019, 05:58:22 AM »
MMM started charging a resort fee a couple of years ago, but that only includes a $10 F&B credit out of a $30 fee. I also found out the hard way that the $10 has to be every day... you can't spend $40 once on a 4 day stay (although I have gotten the front desk to 'fix' that for me). So at least you can get the entire $35 back as F&B. We used to eat a lot at the Fox Sports Grill when we stayed at HBF. Is that still open?