Author Topic: Reports & check ins in the age of Covid  (Read 127695 times)

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 829
Re: Reports & check ins in the age of Covid
« Reply #1380 on: September 24, 2021, 12:34:06 PM »
Los Angeles County begins administering Covid-19 Pfizer boosters to those 65 and older, residents in long-term care settings, and those age 50 to 64 with underlying medical conditions.  The federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) also said younger adults with underlying medical conditions may get a booster, as well as adults age 18 to 64 at increased risk for coronavirus exposure because of occupational or institutional settings.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #1381 on: September 24, 2021, 03:01:54 PM »
As per the CDC press release.

The list of qualifying underlying conditions.

Includes being a minority.

"Long-standing systemic health and social inequities have put various groups of people at increased risk of getting sick and dying from COVID-19, including many racial and ethnic minority groups and people with disabilities."

The list of qualifying medical conditions is quite broad.  I think if you add up all the people that qualify there is a majority.  They should have made it less confusing and just said to go get a booster if it's been more than 6 months since your second shot.  Instead, the confusing messaging continues.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #1382 on: Today at 06:40:28 AM »

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 251
« Reply #1382 on: September 24, 2021, 04:40:46 PM »
As per the CDC press release.

The list of qualifying underlying conditions.

Includes being a minority.

"Long-standing systemic health and social inequities have put various groups of people at increased risk of getting sick and dying from COVID-19, including many racial and ethnic minority groups and people with disabilities."

The list of qualifying medical conditions is quite broad.  I think if you add up all the people that qualify there is a majority.  They should have made it less confusing and just said to go get a booster if it's been more than 6 months since your second shot.  Instead, the confusing messaging continues.

My husband would love to get a booster this weekend. I checked Albertsons, but they want to wait for corporate to come out with their policy. Anyone know a place we can get it this weekend without having to fib and say we are immunocompromised? He doesn't like to lie.

Never mind. We booked an appointment at CVS for tonight!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 06:08:59 PM by puppy »

Offline SteveD

• Administrator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1680
« Reply #1383 on: September 24, 2021, 06:45:12 PM »
Vaccine update for here in New Jersey: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The New Jersey Department of Health is directing our vaccination partners in the state to begin administering booster doses to eligible individuals immediately. Individuals will self-identify according to the categories above and will not be required by vaccination providers to provide proof of a medical condition or a note from a medical provider in order to receive a booster dose in New Jersey.

I have my booster dose scheduled for Thursday.  Now thinking I may come out to California for Thanksgiving. :)

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #1384 on: September 24, 2021, 08:01:33 PM »
The Western States Scientific Safety Review Workgroup, kind of like a CDC for a group of Western States, also issued their recommendation for a booster today.  They specifically called out social inequalities in the assessment of eligibility.

"The Workgroup strongly endorsed the CDC’s recognition that long-standing health and social inequities have increased the risk of severe illness from COVID-19 and recommended that social determinants of vulnerability be included in the assessment of medical conditions that qualify individuals for booster doses."

The hard qualifications are 18+ and 6 months since the second shot.  The rest of the qualifications are pretty flexible.

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 829
« Reply #1385 on: September 25, 2021, 03:37:28 PM »
Anyone know a place we can get it this weekend without having to fib and say we are immunocompromised? He doesn't like to lie.

Never mind. We booked an appointment at CVS for tonight!

I seriously thought of doing that but like your husband (and like my late father), I too have a conscience. One expert on MSNBC said if you got Moderna or J&J and you are either a front line worker or a resident of a nursing home, you may have to consider getting the Pfizer booster.  So far, I’m not willing to mix my vaccines.

For now, I will wait until the Moderna booster comes out.  The end of October will mark six months since I’ve been fully vaccinated.  However, if we get to the first week of November and Thanksgiving is the time the Special Edition event takes place (and I did get a badge), then I might need to make some hard decisions.

Either way, I hope Delta doesn’t find me first.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 03:47:43 PM by Andrew Costa Mesa »
WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #1386 on: September 25, 2021, 11:48:59 PM »
I seriously thought of doing that but like your husband (and like my late father), I too have a conscience. One expert on MSNBC said if you got Moderna or J&J and you are either a front line worker or a resident of a nursing home, you may have to consider getting the Pfizer booster.  So far, I’m not willing to mix my vaccines.

For now, I will wait until the Moderna booster comes out.  The end of October will mark six months since I’ve been fully vaccinated.  However, if we get to the first week of November and Thanksgiving is the time the Special Edition event takes place (and I did get a badge), then I might need to make some hard decisions.

Either way, I hope Delta doesn’t find me first.

I have Moderna, too. If you have Modserna, you are well protected at 6 months. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I'm going to wait, but like you, I might reconsider if the number start to look bad later (like for 8 months or a year). I am patient at the moment.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #1387 on: September 26, 2021, 12:06:07 AM »
The people that got moderna are still well protected.  That triple sized dose is doing it's job.  They had durability in mind when they picked such a large dose.  If I had gotten the J&J one and done, I would have gotten a second dose long ago.

I got pfizer.  I'm already over 6 months.  I'm getting the third dose as soon as possible.  I hope that I can get a flu shot at the same time.  The new qualifications are so soft that a lot of people should be eligible.  High blood pressure alone qualifies about half of all adults.

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #1388 on: September 26, 2021, 09:01:38 AM »
The people that got moderna are still well protected.  That triple sized dose is doing it's job.  They had durability in mind when they picked such a large dose.  If I had gotten the J&J one and done, I would have gotten a second dose long ago.

I got pfizer.  I'm already over 6 months.  I'm getting the third dose as soon as possible.  I hope that I can get a flu shot at the same time.  The new qualifications are so soft that a lot of people should be eligible.  High blood pressure alone qualifies about half of all adults.

The new qualifications were intentionally soft. Basically, it says if you're worried that you are at risk, you can get the shot.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #1389 on: September 26, 2021, 12:23:43 PM »
The new qualifications were intentionally soft. Basically, it says if you're worried that you are at risk, you can get the shot.

That they were.  It was instructive to see how the FDA kept massaging the question presented to the committee in hopes of making it as broad as possible.  In the end, they didn't get there so the FDA and the CDC tweaked the policy to broaden it.

I will disagree with the powers that be that what we saw this week was transparency in science.  I don't think anyone disagrees with the science.  A third dose helps.  What they disagreed on was policy.  It was transparency in politics.  Some only care about hospitalizations and deaths.  Others want to prevent infections outright.  Others were concerned about the message a third dose would give to the people who haven't even gotten a first dose.  We can't even convince them to get 1 dose, what are the chances if now they are suppose to get 3?  Then there were the people that were all for boosters.  All this is politics, not science.

Yes, two doses still offers good protection against hospitalization and death.  In the last 30 day numbers I saw in San Diego, there were 12 vaccinated people hospitalized and 11 vaccinated deaths.  Which is great in that it's such a low number.  Which is bad in that if you are vaccinated and are sick enough to be hospitalized then things don't look good.

But due to the brain damage concern alone even among mild cases, I'm getting myself and all my family members a third dose.  I need to keep whatever brains I have left.

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #1390 on: September 26, 2021, 04:22:02 PM »
I need to keep whatever brains I have left.

LOL. Me, too.

I wish my daughter qualified. She got Pfizer and is at 6 months right now, but she's 17. What do you think? I could always say she's immunocompromised.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 04:25:28 PM by puppy »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #1391 on: September 27, 2021, 11:03:14 PM »
California really is the golden state.  At least the CDC thinks so.  It's the only state that doesn't have a high level of community transmission and so is colored yellow instead of red.

The administration in California has done a great job dealing with covid.  I'm lucky to live here.  San Diego is also doing awesome.  Today's numbers had a dramatic drop down.  The positivity rate is under 1.5%.  The number of cases were so low that I thought it was a low testing day.  Then I saw the number of tests which is at high end of the recent range.  A lot of tests with a low number of positives is what I want to see.

I wish my daughter qualified. She got Pfizer and is at 6 months right now, but she's 17. What do you think? I could always say she's immunocompromised.

Another way to go is to have her doctor write a prescription for her.  Since Pfizer is FDA approved, a doctor can prescribe it off label.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 11:09:12 PM by chocolateshake »

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #1392 on: September 28, 2021, 07:43:28 AM »
California really is the golden state.  At least the CDC thinks so.  It's the only state that doesn't have a high level of community transmission and so is colored yellow instead of red.

The administration in California has done a great job dealing with covid.  I'm lucky to live here.  San Diego is also doing awesome.  Today's numbers had a dramatic drop down.  The positivity rate is under 1.5%.  The number of cases were so low that I thought it was a low testing day.  Then I saw the number of tests which is at high end of the recent range.  A lot of tests with a low number of positives is what I want to see.

Another way to go is to have her doctor write a prescription for her.  Since Pfizer is FDA approved, a doctor can prescribe it off label.

Yeah, but it's a group, not a private practice. They tend to follow the policy of the group, which follows government guidelines.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #1393 on: September 28, 2021, 09:25:08 AM »
Yeah, but it's a group, not a private practice. They tend to follow the policy of the group, which follows government guidelines.
I wonder if the "qualifying underlying conditions" will be handled the same as they were during general vaccine rollout last spring: via 'honor system.'  Meaning, if someone scheduled an appointment via, say, Albertsons, no one was checking to see "oooh: I see on your medical record you have asthma + high blood pressure so you healthy-looking teenager def. needs to get their booster shot ahead of other teenagers."  I'm not saying lie, but as pointed out the incredibly soft, broad conditions could apply to likely most folks in some way.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #1394 on: September 28, 2021, 09:51:52 AM »
I wonder if the "qualifying underlying conditions" will be handled the same as they were during general vaccine rollout last spring: via 'honor system.'  Meaning, if someone scheduled an appointment via, say, Albertsons, no one was checking to see "oooh: I see on your medical record you have asthma + high blood pressure so you healthy-looking teenager def. needs to get their booster shot ahead of other teenagers."  I'm not saying lie, but as pointed out the incredibly soft, broad conditions could apply to likely most folks in some way.

That's exactly how it's supposed to work.  By the federal guidelines, if you say you are eligible then you are eligible.  That's based on your own personal risk assessment.  They are not supposed to ask why or ask you to prove it.  When I got my third dose, basically there was one question that grouped all the qualifications into one.  There wasn't a separate question about immunocompromised and another about high risk setting or another about your BMI.  It was one long broad question that grouped all the qualifications together.  When I went into get the shot, the only thing they asked me was whether it was my 1st or 2nd shot.  What they were really asking was do we issue you a vaccination card or do you already have one.  When I said 3rd, they asked for my vaccination card.  There was one other question they asked, do you want them both in one arm or in separate arms?  I also got my flu shot at the same time.  I was wondering if it would be possible.  I didn't even have to ask.  It was offered.  Would you like a flu shot with that?