Author Topic: So you liked PARASITE: Now What?!  (Read 1371 times)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
So you liked PARASITE: Now What?!
« on: February 11, 2020, 10:03:06 AM »
So maybe you're the kind of person who saw PARASITE because you wanted to know what all of the (richly deserved) critical acclaim was all about: you dug it, and you want to see more but you don't know where to go from here.
Your friendly neighborhood movie nerd is here to help you!

I saw PARASITE way late in the season, mostly out of being too busy.  But PARASITE is a great film that is very representative of the style, excellence, and creativity of writer/director/producer Bong Joon-Ho.  The next film of his you should seek out is SNOWPIERCER, which plays in the same 'class warfare (literally, in this case)' pool as PARASITE: while also starring Chris Evans, Tilda Swinton, John Hurt, and others - and it's mostly in English.  After SNOWPIERCER check out Bong Joon-Ho's previous film, OKJA: also starring Tilda Swinton (and the great Paul Dano!), also in English.  Both of those films are on Netflix right now!  I also really like Joon-Ho's THE HOST, sort of his South Korean take on Godzilla: US military base dumps toxic waste into the waters that causes a creature to mutate and attack the populace. 

Another great South Korean director is Chan-wook Park; check out his "Vengeance trilogy" - SYMPATHY FOR MR. VENGEANCE, OLDBOY, and LADY VENGEANCE.  OLDBOY is a personal favorite (remade not-too-good by Spike Lee), and features an incredible one shot/one-take hallway fight sequence that the Netflix Daredevil series borrowed HEAVILY from in a Season 1 episode.  He also directed 1 of 3 segments of THREE...EXTREMES, which is a darker mostly horror genre film; he's the only Korean director, but the other 2 are Fruit Chan (A Chinese director who's segment here is truly, devilishly squeamish) and Takashi Miike (his Japanese canon alone is incredible, with several films a seeming test of nerves to sit through - AUDITION, ICHI THE KILLER, 13 ASSASSINS being some of my favorites, though the first two of those can be...challenging...for the weak-of-stomach).

I SAW THE DEVILS is an outstanding thriller; so is TRAIN TO BUSAN (awesome zombie film).

There are certainly a myriad of other quality South Korean films, but these are all great jumping-off points.

Enjoy!

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
Re: So you liked PARASITE: Now What?!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 10:35:37 AM »
For fans of Parasite I would highly recommend Shoplifters.
It's Japanese, but right in the same genre IMO.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 02:59:33 PM »

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 12:00:59 PM »
Another one I'd recommend by Park Chan-Wook is The Handmaiden. It's a bit sexually graphic but it's a gorgeous production and the storytelling is masterful. It changes viewpoints to show the same situation from many angles and it's really just beautiful. Sort of a lesbian period-piece fairy tale about romance and oppression and gender and class and all the ways those can intertwine, for good and for bad.

Offline Quislings

• Room 6BCF
    • Nerdophiles
  • Liked: 44
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 07:30:14 PM »
No specific recommendations from me, but the Korean Film Archive channel on Youtube has a bunch of classics: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Managing Editor of You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | SDCC (2013 - 2018) | NYCC (2014 - 2018) | Wondercon (2017) | AwesomeCon (2014)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 08:05:09 PM »
second vote to Snowpiercer
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline darkron9

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 106
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 08:05:44 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
So maybe you're the kind of person who saw PARASITE because you wanted to know what all of the (richly deserved) critical acclaim was all about: you dug it, and you want to see more but you don't know where to go from here.
Your friendly neighborhood movie nerd is here to help you!

I saw PARASITE way late in the season, mostly out of being too busy.  But PARASITE is a great film that is very representative of the style, excellence, and creativity of writer/director/producer Bong Joon-Ho.  The next film of his you should seek out is SNOWPIERCER, which plays in the same 'class warfare (literally, in this case)' pool as PARASITE... ...Both of those films are on Netflix right now!  I also really like Joon-Ho's THE HOST, sort of his South Korean take on Godzilla: US military base dumps toxic waste into the waters that causes a creature to mutate and attack the populace.   

Another great South Korean director is Chan-wook Park; check out his "Vengeance trilogy" - SYMPATHY FOR MR. VENGEANCE, OLDBOY, and LADY VENGEANCE.  OLDBOY is a personal favorite (remade not-too-good by Spike Lee), and features an incredible one shot/one-take hallway fight sequence that the Netflix Daredevil series borrowed HEAVILY from in a Season 1 episode...  ...and Takashi Miike (his Japanese canon alone is incredible, with several films a seeming test of nerves to sit through - AUDITION, ICHI THE KILLER, 13 ASSASSINS being some of my favorites, though the first two of those can be...challenging...for the weak-of-stomach).

I SAW THE DEVILS is an outstanding thriller; so is TRAIN TO BUSAN (awesome zombie film).

There are certainly a myriad of other quality South Korean films, but these are all great jumping-off points.

Enjoy!

I went in to see PARASITE as one of the curious the day after the Acadamy Awards winners were announced.  Excellent!  I did see SNOWPIERCER in the theater, and while it held my interest, it didn't ring with me the way PARASITE did.  I did see THE HOST on DVD years ago, enjoyed it and remember that the video store owner highly recommending it. 

OLDBOY is a personal favorite.  I'm not a Spike Lee fan, but I also enjoyed his tailored for western audience version starring Josh Brolin.  13 ASSASSINS by Takeshi Miike was highly anticipated by me, but if it can be found somewhere, the Toei version of 13 ASSASSINS starring Kataoka Chiezo and a cast of Toei stars from the early 1960's is a better telling of the story.

TRAIN TO BUSAN is my favorite zombie apocalypse story set in Korea.  And I cannot forget to mention a favorite Japanese actor/director Takeshi Kitano who I first saw playing the part of a POW camp sargent in MERRY CHRISTMAS, MR LAWRENCE, his version of the character ZATOICHI as a tribute to the Katsu Shintaro series and BATTLE ROYALE.

Offline darkron9

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 106
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 08:06:20 AM »
Another one I'd recommend by Park Chan-Wook is The Handmaiden. It's a bit sexually graphic but it's a gorgeous production and the storytelling is masterful. It changes viewpoints to show the same situation from many angles and it's really just beautiful. Sort of a lesbian period-piece fairy tale about romance and oppression and gender and class and all the ways those can intertwine, for good and for bad.

Thank you for this insight.  THE HANDMAIDEN sound a bit like the Japanese film RASHOMON with different viewpoints of the same situation.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2020, 09:51:22 AM »
Thank you for this insight.  THE HANDMAIDEN sound a bit like the Japanese film RASHOMON with different viewpoints of the same situation.
It definitely has the RASHOMON vibe to it.  It's also a fairly loose adaptation of the novel "Fingersmith" You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login)
Chan-wook Park has such a great (dark) sense of humor, and that mixed with his interest in isolated characters looking for companionship makes for an interesting movie here (with a fun twist or two).

There's a whole different discussion regarding "movies that very effectively utilize the 'Rashomon 'Technique'"...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 10:04:37 AM by perc2100 »

Offline f22raptor

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 61
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2020, 10:25:27 AM »
I saw Parasite on a flight home from a business trip.  I am big fan of Jo Yeo Jeong. Now I am going to watch  the other Oscar contenders  that didn’t win, Joker and 1917.

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2020, 04:08:24 PM »
I know this is about movies, but if you want to dive into Korean TV, this article is fun.

7 K-Dramas To Watch If You Loved “Parasite”

Okay, done trying to push my k-drama agenda LOL
Ang