Author Topic: Suggestions for Hotels with large rooms/suites  (Read 6222 times)

Offline waltbionik

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 100
Re: Suggestions for Hotels with large rooms/suites
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2017, 07:50:51 PM »
[member=2705]Agoyo[/member] -They give out wrist bands for breakfast and happy hour?  This is the first time I've heard of that?  Do you get one for each day?  I have stayed at Marriott Residence Inns and they just...let you eat. lol.
[/quote]

[member=352]marcia29[/member] Yes, they give out wristbands for breakfast and happy hour. Some years it's a hard plastic band, last year it was the cloth band with the plastic ball tightener. You have to show it to the host or hostess as you walk up the stairs to the dining area. But, apparently this is only for Comic-Con. I stay there two days after the con and there's no wrist band.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2017, 03:15:19 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Yes, they give out wristbands for breakfast and happy hour. Some years it's a hard plastic band, last year it was the cloth band with the plastic ball tightener. You have to show it to the host or hostess as you walk up the stairs to the dining area. But, apparently this is only for Comic-Con. I stay there two days after the con and there's no wrist band.

[member=457]waltbionik[/member] - I guess they have had some challenges with non-guests showing up.  If the band is themed that is another souvenir from SDCC..  :)
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 01:35:34 AM »

Offline waltbionik

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 100
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2017, 03:49:30 AM »
[member=457]waltbionik[/member] - I guess they have had some challenges with non-guests showing up.  If the band is themed that is another souvenir from SDCC..  :)

unfortunately, it's not a sdcc-themed wristband. that would've been cool.

Offline Agoyo

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 30
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2017, 10:26:36 AM »

In the past they would check for the wrist band for the free breakfast. During Happy hour they only checked if you went to get alcohol. They didnt care if people ate the snacks.

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2017, 11:12:51 AM »
Homewood Suites has rooms that right now average out to the $400 range for a Monday-Monday stay. It's in Little Italy but walkable to a shuttle stop and a trolley stop. Full kitchen and free breakfast too. They actually have a room type that has 2 separate bedrooms, one with a king bed and the other with 2 queens, those are sold out during SDCC right now but it may be worth checking back in case people are using it as a backup hotel. They do have a refundable AAA rate (with a deposit.)

Offline comicconfamily

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Instagram: @ComicConFamily
    • Comic Con Family
  • Liked: 160
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2018, 10:09:23 AM »
We have a blog post on hotels for larger families near the convention center (near = mostly on the shuttle route, not necessarily downtown). Our research was for hotels that could accommodate a family of 5, so some of these might work for 6 people? But maybe not. Of course, some may be booked or super pricey at this point. Our post also tells you how many beds in the biggest room, how many bathrooms (some have TWO, ahhhh...luxury), and other details like if you can have a rollaway bed or if they have free breakfast etc.

For downtown there is:
Ramada Gaslamp / Convention Center
Residence Inn San Diego Downtown/Bayfront
Embassy Suites San Diego Bay — Downtown
Wyndham San Diego Bayside
Springhill Suites San Diego Downtown / Bayfront
Residence Inn San Diego Downtown
Homewood Suites San Diego Downtown / Bayside

Mission Valley:
Homewood Suites San Diego Mission Valley / Zoo
Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley
Comfort Inn & Suites San Diego — Zoo Seaworld Area
Springhill Suites San Diego Mission Valley
Candlewood Suites San Diego
Hotel Iris

Airport:
Homewood Suites San Diego Airport — Liberty Station
SDCC 2011 - 2022
WonderCon 2017 - 2022

Offline IfIWereMagneto

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 197
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2018, 08:17:48 AM »
I went for two rooms with double beds last year at the Omni because I had a party of 12. We didn't get them there (got the Westin) but lucked out in that a friend of a friend got them and offered them to us.

We requested early on that our rooms be next to each other with a connector door if possible and that's exactly what we got. It worked well!

We split 6 and 6 and a friend brought her air mattress while another brought cots.

Having worked in the hotel industry for years, I can tell you during major events that hotels really don't care about the amount of people in the room so long as you aren't destructive. If you are, THEN they tag you.

And the most I've had in a room at one time was 8 in a single room with two doubles at the Hilton Bayfront. Still worked out fine.
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Violet

• Gaming Lounge
  • Gender Biased Reviews www.gbreviews.com
    • Gender Biased Reviews
  • Liked: 118
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2018, 09:22:37 AM »
I went for two rooms with double beds last year at the Omni because I had a party of 12. We didn't get them there (got the Westin) but lucked out in that a friend of a friend got them and offered them to us.

We requested early on that our rooms be next to each other with a connector door if possible and that's exactly what we got. It worked well!

We split 6 and 6 and a friend brought her air mattress while another brought cots.

Having worked in the hotel industry for years, I can tell you during major events that hotels really don't care about the amount of people in the room so long as you aren't destructive. If you are, THEN they tag you.

And the most I've had in a room at one time was 8 in a single room with two doubles at the Hilton Bayfront. Still worked out fine.

In 2015, we had a room at the Hilton Bayfront with 2 double beds with 5 people. The 5th person slept on an air mattress. We were pretty tidy, but they still charged us a "transient occupant fee" of about $30/night  :-[

Offline IfIWereMagneto

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2018, 11:49:51 AM »
In 2015, we had a room at the Hilton Bayfront with 2 double beds with 5 people. The 5th person slept on an air mattress. We were pretty tidy, but they still charged us a "transient occupant fee" of about $30/night  :-[

Damn, did you tell them beforehand that you had a 5th occupant in the room?
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Violet

• Gaming Lounge
  • Gender Biased Reviews www.gbreviews.com
    • Gender Biased Reviews
  • Liked: 118
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2018, 01:30:22 PM »
Damn, did you tell them beforehand that you had a 5th occupant in the room?

No, but I guess they figured it out when they saw the air mattress. Apparently we should have deflated it and put it away every morning, haha.

Offline IfIWereMagneto

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2018, 02:14:50 PM »
No, but I guess they figured it out when they saw the air mattress. Apparently we should have deflated it and put it away every morning, haha.

Ahhhhhh that's where we differ. We don't let housekeeping in the room until we check out.
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline comicconfamily

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Instagram: @ComicConFamily
    • Comic Con Family
  • Liked: 160
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2018, 01:04:54 PM »

We always have an air mattress in our room while at Comic-Con (and other vacations) -- but we're still within the allowed occupancy. And I don't deflate it and we have housekeeping come every day. Our two teens don't want to share a bed, so that's why we do it. I always figure that if the hotel wants to say something, I'll deal with it, but no one has ever said anything.

That's what I would recommend to anyone who uses one...the presence of an air mattress doesn't necessarily mean you have too many people in a room. So unless their policy states you can't have them in a room, simply tell them that you have a guest who doesn't want to share a bed.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 01:07:55 PM by comicconfamily »
SDCC 2011 - 2022
WonderCon 2017 - 2022

Offline catvonawesome

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 359
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2018, 09:35:10 AM »
I am just worried about it hurting my chances of getting something downtown to request 2 rooms...but I guess if they go buy submission time it wouldn't matter any way.

My group requests two rooms every year as well and it hasn't seemed to affect our chances. Some years we've gotten downtown, some we haven't, some we haven't gotten anything. It seems to be on par with the normal statistics of getting a room.
Do these tacos taste funny to you?

Offline madfly

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 140
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2018, 09:57:12 AM »
My group requests two rooms every year as well and it hasn't seemed to affect our chances. Some years we've gotten downtown, some we haven't, some we haven't gotten anything. It seems to be on par with the normal statistics of getting a room.

I've always wondered if requesting 2 rooms affects your chances...Has anyone else had luck when requesting 2 rooms at downtown hotels?

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2018, 10:26:29 AM »
I've always wondered if requesting 2 rooms affects your chances...Has anyone else had luck when requesting 2 rooms at downtown hotels?

For the past couple of years the time you were granted form access has been the dominant factor, the number of rooms doesn't seem to matter much. It has to matter a little of course, like if your request happens to be processed right on the edge where a hotel just has a couple of rooms left.  It's also going to matter more if you are going for smaller hotels or a room type that isn't as common. But there doesn't seem to be any evidence that they actively prioritize requests based on things like the number of rooms or the dates requested.